Paddle issues

I got ITP paddles and ITP wheels for the Raptor and ITP Paddles and STI wheels for the Outlaw. I had issues with the Outlaw when I road it more on the right rear tire. My nephew also had an issue when we went to dumont same tire. We had to ride back from past Comp hill to the truck on the flat. I got a brand new ITP paddle for the Outlaw after the flat at Dumont. We just got back from our trip to Oregon. On our first trip to the Dunes the raptor got a right rear flat, took it in to a tire shop for a clean and seal. Trip two for the coast tire was going low, next day it was flat.

I am tired of having flat issues. I was running them at 4psi, but started keeping them to 5. My GF rides the Outlaw mostly now, but when the raptor went flat i rode it. I ride much harder then she does. The tire shop said "if you ride the dunes your going to get the flats." I think that's BS. My nephew has run Skat~Trak for years and they have been fine. He doesn't ride as hard though either.

I am thinking I will try the Skat~Trak next time but what do you run, like, hate?

I got ITP paddles and ITP wheels for the Raptor and ITP Paddles and STI wheels for the Outlaw. I had issues with the Outlaw when I road it more on the right rear tire. My nephew also had an issue when we went to dumont same tire. We had to ride back from past Comp hill to the truck on the flat. I got a brand new ITP paddle for the Outlaw after the flat at Dumont. We just got back from our trip to Oregon. On our first trip to the Dunes the raptor got a right rear flat, took it in to a tire shop for a clean and seal. Trip two for the coast tire was going low, next day it was flat.

I am tired of having flat issues. I was running them at 4psi, but started keeping them to 5. My GF rides the Outlaw mostly now, but when the raptor went flat i rode it. I ride much harder then she does. The tire shop said "if you ride the dunes your going to get the flats." I think that's BS. My nephew has run Skat~Trak for years and they have been fine. He doesn't ride as hard though either.

I am thinking I will try the Skat~Trak next time but what do you run, like, hate?

I've had skat traks on mine for 3 years without a single problem. I know a lot of the other guys on here run skat traks as well with equal success as myself.

Skat trak Extreme Haulers all the way. I have had mine on my Raptor for about 8 or 9 years now. They are still in great shape and I don't even think I have ever had one go flat on me now that I think about it. I've got my money's worth ten times over with those paddles! You won't be disappointed.

ITP's are heavy and they're junk. Ditch em.

ITPs tend to get a little sand in the bead letting the air out. It's a pain in the a$$. I have a set of Haulers on the Banshee with about twice the mileage as the Sand Stars on my YFZ. The Haulers never lose air, the Sand Stars on the other hand are all over the place. One trip, the right paddle loses air, the next trip it's the left. As soon as I find a deal on Skats, the ITPs are gone.

Thanks, it seemed like the Skat~Traks were worth it but just wanted some support. Sucks i just bought one brand new ITP for the Outlaw.

What wheels are you guys running? I was looking at some bead lock wheels but they are kinda ugly (imo) and they must be heavy. I don't like the STI wheels, the ITPs seem ok. The lip roll on the ITP seem to push sand in the bead though. I know Douglas seem to be popular, not sure what thickness i would get though. ITP also has a different wheel with a double rolled lip.

Thanks, it seemed like the Skat~Traks were worth it but just wanted some support. Sucks i just bought one brand new ITP for the Outlaw.

What wheels are you guys running? I was looking at some bead lock wheels but they are kinda ugly (imo) and they must be heavy. I don't like the STI wheels, the ITPs seem ok. The lip roll on the ITP seem to push sand in the bead though. I know Douglas seem to be popular, not sure what thickness i would get though. ITP also has a different wheel with a double rolled lip.

If your going lightweight tires then stay with light wheels or your defeating your purpose of less rotating mass. I use Douglas 190 but that's cause my grandson likes to smack rocks on the flats. You can get the blue label Douglas for the lightest wheel or move up to 190 . Black label for a little more strength and your not giving away to much weight for a stronger wheel.

Edited by ynot

Sand Stars while not a great tire should not be having those issues. I don't care for them, but I have a couple sets and none of them leak. If you want the best true dunning tire in my opinion it would be the Skat Trak Edges, they are a V grove tires, light weight also. I would also go with the Douglas blue labels.

Thanks... I am not as concerned with the weight as much as just keeping air in the tire for at least each trip. However, i would go light wheels if buying light tires, might as well right. I don't race anyone or anything really anyway. i just like to cruise and jump. will have to see about getting the wheels black to match the bike.

Even the .190 (stronger) wheels aren't very heavy by any means. Don't go with the light duty ones. There are still rocks at Dumont that will very easily bend the blue label wheels (.125). Remember the lighter the weight, the less strong that will be (most of the time). Bend rim = no air in the tire. laughing.gif

Now that I think about it I may have the.160 black labels which are strong yet lightweight.

Here's the description for the Douglas .160 black labels

• This unique wheel is extremely strong yet very lightweight giving you maximum strength and minimum rolling mass.
  • Great for those who ride sand dunes and need a little more strength for light jumping.
  • The black label wheel design utilizes the highest quality .160 thick, 6061 heat treated aircraft grade aluminum.

If you go on Rocky Mountain's ite they have a ton of wheels, some black too.

Even the .190 (stronger) wheels aren't very heavy by any means. Don't go with the light duty ones. There are still rocks at Dumont that will very easily bend the blue label wheels (.125). Remember the lighter the weight, the less strong that will be (most of the time). Bend rim = no air in the tire. laughing.gif

Now that I think about it I may have the.160 black labels which are strong yet lightweight.

Here's the description for the Douglas .160 black labels

• This unique wheel is extremely strong yet very lightweight giving you maximum strength and minimum rolling mass.
  • Great for those who ride sand dunes and need a little more strength for light jumping.
  • The black label wheel design utilizes the highest quality .160 thick, 6061 heat treated aircraft grade aluminum.

If you go on Rocky Mountain's ite they have a ton of wheels, some black too.

I'm running the black label on the Banshee. Good compromise on wheel mass vs. strength.

I swear I posted this already, but it seems to have magically disappeared or I didn't click enter or something. I vote for the first one, it can't my fault.... :P

I got a set of Skat~Trak Haulers with the .125 (blue label?) wheels from craigslist. Not exactly what i wanted but i will test these out with the straight paddle and see what i think. Maybe I will sell the ITP set and this set of Haulers and get the set i really want.

I was looking on rocky mountain and found a set of the Skat~Trak Extremes w/9 paddles (21-12-8), with the .160 wheels (8x8) (too bad they are only polished, i want black). They were $360, and maybe i can get the wheel powder coated. The 20-10-10 tires w /9 paddles and the 10x8 wheels were about $430. I like the idea of the wider tires on the 8" wheel. I am just not sure the difference in performance with 8" vs 10" wheels. I am not worried about the 1" taller tire, the 700 has plenty of power and i can always go one tooth bigger on the rear sprocket later.

I swear I posted this already, but it seems to have magically disappeared or I didn't click enter or something. I vote for the first one, it can't my fault.... :P

I got a set of Skat~Trak Haulers with the .125 (blue label?) wheels from craigslist. Not exactly what i wanted but i will test these out with the straight paddle and see what i think. Maybe I will sell the ITP set and this set of Haulers and get the set i really want.

I was looking on rocky mountain and found a set of the Skat~Trak Extremes w/9 paddles (21-12-8), with the .160 wheels (8x8) (too bad they are only polished, i want black). They were $360, and maybe i can get the wheel powder coated. The 20-10-10 tires w /9 paddles and the 10x8 wheels were about $430. I like the idea of the wider tires on the 8" wheel. I am just not sure the difference in performance with 8" vs 10" wheels. I am not worried about the 1" taller tire, the 700 has plenty of power and i can always go one tooth bigger on the rear sprocket later.

I think you will be unhappy with 9 paddles. It takes lot's of HP to turn that extra paddle. I wouldn't go higher than 8's

I think you will be unhappy with 9 paddles. It takes lot's of HP to turn that extra paddle. I wouldn't go higher than 8's

I couldn't find a lot of information on the difference in the number of paddles so i went half way... lol. I thought my nephews friend had 9 paddles on his stock 2010 YFZ 450 as well, so i was going with that. Guess I figured the 700 would be fine. Maybe i will just have to do some upgrades :headbang1:

The haulers that i have are 8 paddle, so i will test these out. Even with the ITP paddles i really had no issues climbing whatever i wanted, my only complaint with them really was losing air all the freeking time.

Thanks for the info :beercheers: