Easter Weekend 2012

cmondwn

We ended Dumont season with 4 days of riding.

We arrived on Wednesday, unloaded and headed out to check out the dunes. MarbleMD In his RZR and my kid and I in my husband’s RZR… Mike thought it would be okay to go over a razor back – NOT ME. Down I went to the bottom. Mike asking; what the hell? – Me, I’m not duning the RZR, I want to putt putt around. So, off to the lower dunes we went. We made our way to North Pole and then to comp to play on the hill. Back at camp, we chatted and laughed about stupid stuff. No camp fire, the weather temperature was perfect to watch the stars.

WOW – Thursday rides, rides, and more rides. We started the day with Mike teaching my kid how to ride. And in only a few hours she was jumping dunes and going over razor backs. Later that afternoon RapRider arrived and we headed out to jump and play. I sat back and watched Mike, Adam and Kid jump. There was one jump that Adam took and my kid followed – “I think I nearly sh!t myself” – She was probably six feet in the air, landed and came back around to do it again…Remember, she just learned how to jump a few hours earlier… When she took this jumped, I zoomed down the hill, stopped my bike, looked for Mike to see if he seen what I just seen … Both of us were shaking our heads, because for a quick moment – I thought the worst…But she “Rocked It” claps all around. A special thanks to Mike for taking the time to spend the day teaching her how to ride. Rides, Rides, Rides . . .

Good Morning Friday … Here we go again for another day of lots of rides. I took the back of the line behind three males..yep, only girl in line. Mike leading, Adam behind, and older (young spirited) man, and then me; off we go…Over the finger dune and out into the dunes we went… I thought to myself – “Don’t let the old man fool you”… The guys would wheelie, jump, speed, & slide around corners…I was impressed at myself for staying in line. But then my bike just shut off up a dune and I didn’t have time to turn around, so I got stuck – grrrr moment! The guys turned around and rescued me…off we went and made it to the North Pole. Relaxed for a few, and then headed out behind Comp Hill and back to camp. GREAT RIDE

Its Friday Night… We headed over to comp and went up and down a few times…WEEEEEEEEEWEEEEEEEEEEEE all the way down. I thought it was just Sandchick and I going up, but here came a few RZRxp’s wanting to race. Needless to say – “I don’t race, nor care to” But I will go up for fun and I reached the top and slowly came back down checking out the few people that were hanging out. Back to camp for drink-drink time around camp fire, but when things became challenging, it was time for bed. (Enough said)

Rise & Shine its DUNE time. It’s Saturday and I am getting tired and sore from the past few days of riding. No time to whine, its ride time…5 quads, 1dirt bike, and 1 car. CampIdiot lead us over Banshi Hill to have fun. At times I cut corners to catch up but managed to stay in line. As the leader he made sure everyone was there. He would circle around dunes for all to stay in line and to make sure we were all there. And then…Oh’ NO happened – One quad wrecked. When I realized there were no major injuries, he left and headed to the North Pole to meet my husband. As I was waiting, everyone else arrived saying he was behind. But thank goodness he was there…I was hot and he had water for me.

After lunch ynot and his friend arrived for an afternoon ride. A few quads & my husband headed out for a ride. My Husband (not on DDR) came back saying it was a FUN ride. I watched the Go-Pro video and I definitely missed out. Maybe next season.

After relaxing, SandSnake led his girl and me on a quad ride. We started over the finger dune towards the back side of comp. We hit untouched sand, some tracked sand, and razor backs. And just when I had the feeling he was leading us over comp hill he stopped to check if I was okay. He said, yep, but I don’t go over comp. We were right there, but he was cool about cruising around the dunes to comp. We relaxed for a few and headed around towards the North Pole we made a pit stopped and I tried riding someone else’s Suzuki where I felt the difference in her quad to mine…Time to get a front stabilizer and a few other parts. (Mike – no need to comment, YOU were RIGHT) Great Ride again! By this time, I am now thinking I have to book a spa day just to relax.

In the early evening CampIdiot mentioned a Ranger rolled down a finger dune. A few of us rushed over there…Brian looked at me and said cell phone; I rushed back to camp to get his wife’s phone and back to the accident. SandSnake was already there calling 911. The male was bleeding from his head and someone applied pressure to his head. A Military paramedic arrived on scene applying pressure and bandages to his head. Kristen headed out to find his camp/family and I headed to the ranger’s station to meet the ambulance. When I arrived at the station, another man was injured from rolling a RZR or Rino. Paramedics’ arrived and one stayed with the injured at the station and the other just tossed his equipment in my RZR and said take me to the other accident. With everyone’s fast thinking, the man was treated and released from the hospital with 7 staples in his head. I am unsure what happened with the other male but he was air lifted. I hope he made it home safely.

After all this… Dinner & Movie around the camp fire sounds great. “Talladega Nights” and Carne Asada burritos (Thanks Jodi for cooking our last dune dinner for the season)

It has been an adventurous season.

• Like 1

Great weekend report! Looking forward to some pics as they trickle in.

Props to all of those who responded and helped the guy who rolled. We're hearing about more and more head injuries lately from those RZR rollovers. I'm guessing stock cage? I can't believe Polaris puts such weak cages on those things.

Nice weekend out there indeed . . . but we certainly could have used some Rangers, EMTs, something to back us up. Two of the guys in our camp were helping peeps everywhere. Good Karma to Rob and Trey! There was the Ranger rollover (head injury) and a guy who launched off a CRF 450 (collar bone +); someone with shattered ribs, plus a few tows back to camp. On the other side of the coin, I heard there was a wedding at comp. Congrats!

Edited by DunaticSuzyQ
  • Like 2

that was kinda short....lol

i had great fun and i am very sore. Everyone is so nice at the dunes and helping out the rookie. I can't say thank you enough.

We went on quit a few rides. Thursday i rode my Outlaw to run some gas through it. Such a difference between the Raptor and Outlaw for sure. That independent is like a pillow even when landing some jumps. Two rides on the Outlaw and back on the trailer it went. Rest of the weekend was on the Raptor.

Mike leads some great runs but saturday hurt himself going over a dune and landing hard. I followed and learned my lesson on following too close. We followed mike to Noth Pole then Terry (ynot) took over.

By Saturday evening the dunes were getting pretty ripped up in spots, so we looked for the more virgin sand.

I even lead a couple rides with Christina's Daughter following. we went on so many rides i forget who else came. i know Jodi was following on at least one of them. It's nerve raking leading, especially as a rookie, leading a novice rider. Drea did great though i even picked some stuff that looked kinda hard and she just followed.

Had to get one more ride in Sunday before i left, and Jim and his girl were gearing up so i got ready to. We went on a nice ride and when i got back to camp i loaded the raptor right onto the trailer. Back to reality. :(

I have some video editing to do, this was mostly runs with no real special shots so nothing fancy. Not sure who got photos. I know Mike got some cool ones of me jumping.

The food, the rides, and the friends were all great this weekend!

• Like 2

So I was able to squeeze in a short trip on Thu-Fri. I had just bought my daughter a new-to-her bike and she was anxious to get out and use it. Was just momma, kid and me. I actually parked and camped at the little dunes for the first time. It was ideal for my kid's first time. It was lonely out there. The winds kept us from making a fire on Thu night, but we just hung out inside the trailer and knocked out pretty early.

Just took a couple pics:

Moon rising over the hill:

post-3304-0-86337200-1334029586_thumb.jp

post-3304-0-54117700-1334029564_thumb.jp

post-3304-0-78536300-1334029567_thumb.jp

post-3304-0-54209800-1334029570_thumb.jp

post-3304-0-35630900-1334029573_thumb.jp

post-3304-0-03469200-1334029576_thumb.jp

post-3304-0-73914600-1334029578_thumb.jp

post-3304-0-15829200-1334029582_thumb.jp

post-3304-0-00845200-1334029585_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Yeah the wedding was Danny Murphy's brother.

Sanddunesaddict, Thanks for stopping by the camp your car car is awsome! sorry I could not run with you guys but looking forward to it in the future.

sanddunesaddict,

It was nice to finally see your car in person!

Awesome car! you have alot to be pround of!

Maybe next season we can run together, both jalper and myself had mechanical issues!I will be looking to upgrade to a mende 2d over the sumeer and sell off my built 091

Good meeting you!

Jeff

sanddunesaddict,

It was nice to finally see your car in person!

Awesome car! you have alot to be pround of!

Maybe next season we can run together, both jalper and myself had mechanical issues!I will be looking to upgrade to a mende 2d over the sumeer and sell off my built 091

Good meeting you!

Jeff

It was nice meeting you also....definately need to meet up next season

I found out that the Mendi 2d 3rd gear is the same thing you broke.....a Mendi 2d has a larger 1st and 2nd with a 091 3rd and 4th.

Just something to keep in mind....you could still break it.

Bert

Left out late Friday Was not able to finish the vw rail prior to going so atarted out a little sad. Got to the dunes met up with friends in the fingers and got unloaded. Too late for a ride but ready for saturday. Took quads out and followed the sand cars for a bit had a blast. Made a trip out to north pole girls in group loved the wedding dress. "congrats to the couple". Got invited for a ride in friends new to him sand car. Did not realize that I was such a controll freak. Really hard to sit in passanger side and slide over razors without that holly sh__ feeling in my belly. Had a blaast OMG I have to get one of these kinda day..... Sunday was kinda lazy day but friend was concerned about suspension on new car so he said " hey take my sand car out for a little run I am going to follow you with another sand car and watch the front suspension." UUMMM ok !!! Took it out and stayed on the front of the dunes on the left side kinda behind comp hill. Found out that the front needs some love may not be enough nitrogen in the shocks. Then the other sand car told me follw me. The dunes were pretty empty so no better time to learn. Followed for a little bit and he took it easy on me. I have to say I have never had that much fun at the dunes before. I am in love with the long travel sand car. I am forever in the debt of the friend that let me drive and forever mad at him lol. My vw rail will never be the same. Big thank you to the guys on Monday that helped me get my truck unstuck. Seems that when some of the others in camp left they got stuck and kinda tore up the sand in front of where i was parked. Nothing like being buried in a dodge 2500 4x4 with a 40ft toy hauler. Got rolling out monday aobut noon. Had a great weekend. Now time to sell everthing i own and buy that sand car wonder if the wife will notice that everything is going missing. Wish me luck lol....

Great weekend report! Looking forward to some pics as they trickle in.

Props to all of those who responded and helped the guy who rolled. We're hearing about more and more head injuries lately from those RZR rollovers. I'm guessing stock cage? I can't believe Polaris puts such weak cages on those things.

here is a stock rxrxp4 that hot a witches eye at 15 mph

c6e4dd28-b1f7-c470.jpg

All this damage at only 15mph! WOW - Thank GOD they are all alive. Stock roll cages are garbage! And in this photo, it appears the frame folded. I think I will re-think about getting a four seater.

And I hate to be a smart azz - But; what the heck was Polaris thinking, car seat belts in an off road vehicle?

All this damage at only 15mph! WOW - Thank GOD they are all alive. Stock roll cages are garbage! And in this photo, it appears the frame folded. I think I will re-think about getting a four seater.

And I hate to be a smart azz - But; what the heck was Polaris thinking, car seat belts in an off road vehicle?

I have found that with the stock cage the frame is much weaker. When I pulled my new cage off to do engine work the frame sagged bit making my doors come out of adjustment. When the cage was placed back on the rzr the frame straitened back out and doors were fine again. With the stock cage the frame will buckle in an impact. Scary sh*t right there.

that's right mike a good cage that ties the whole care together is needed.

the rzr in the picture, well the XP4's are a two piece frame and bolt together....thats not very good design IMO.

people at adding a few tubes underneath to fix the issue

wow... i didn't like the 4 seater side x sides anyway but that is crazy. 15mph is pretty slow, must have been a big witches eye???

if you want a 4 seater to dune buy a car i guess. by the time you dump all the money in a side x side to set it up you will be in about the same money anyway.