My Summer Adventure

sand chick

I have been planning my summer adventure for over a year. Planning, preparing, researching, training and dreaming!

in April 2012, I had accidently come across this beautiful serene place when google searching "camping by water near Las Vegas" Up came this spectacular photo of a bright turquoise blue waterfall with a huge pool under it. I thought, where is this? I must go there, what is this place called? I did some more searching and found it was called Havasu or Havasupai Falls. Then I learned in order to get there one must have a permit and backpack all of your stuff in 10 miles to the campground, or for an extra fee, you could have your stuff sent down on a mule. Well 10 miles was not something at that time I was capable of, let alone had the gear for, 10 miles one way would be tough, but then there is the 10 miles back and to carry all of my gear as well. How disappointing. This was not something I would be able to do. But I could not get that beautiful blue green turquoise water out of my head. I found myself constantly looking up information on it. I stumbled across a group that went every year twice a year June and September.. it was a group called VegasHikers on a website called MeetUp. I read and re read the information and knew even though there were still spots for sale, I could not comprehend going on their June 2012 trip. But as a bonus of this, I had found a whole bunch of people that liked to hike, and I had missed hiking since moving to Vegas, I could never find anyone to go with, now suddenly I had tons!

I thought to myself, if I put my mind to it, get the gear and begin training with small steps working my way up to the longer miles, why couldn't I go on next years trip? So I started out, just myself, small hikes, three miles.. then five miles.. then I joined the group and began hiking every weekend. I saved what I could so that I could pay for the trip.. I began the research on backpacking products, the best, lightest, how to use them, I got my backpack for Christmas and began adding it to my weekend hiking trips, starting empty with just my reg food, water first aide kit etc to get the feel of it, then adding a gallon jug of water, that weighs 8 lbs, if it got to heavy I could dump out the water, it never got to heavy, I was determined. I collected gear little by little until I had everything from a sleeping pad and tent, to a lightweight stove and water filter. I slowly added these items to my pack until I was regularly hiking with 33lbs, training and conditioning for the big trip.

Well that big trip just happened over this past weekend... Altogether I put in 30 miles on foot in a 4 day span, 20 with 28 & 33lbs on my back. Including a 4 mile round trip to the Native American village of Supai, AZ. for the most blissful frozen water and a bowl of cheese fries!! Well earned cheese fries!

Myself and three of my hiking gals began our adventure at 3:30 in the morning on Thursday June 13th after spending a chilly night in our tents at the trailhead, so we could beat the heat and hit the trail at daybreak. With great excitement we loaded our packs, had breakfast, and coffee in the dark. As we made our way from the parking lot to the trailhead, the sun peaked over the horizon, illuminating the reddish canyon below, someplace in the distance of that canyon was a series of blue green turquoise waterfalls and pools that were unimaginable. It was hard to imagine that they really existed. We descended down the 1 mile of switchbacks to the canyon floor, stopping at the floor to look up and realize we had to go back up that steep incline at the very end of our trip. I had prepared for the end, I knew from researching that it was difficult, in my pack was the only electrical device I had brought, my Ipod, with Authority Zero ready to assist me back up that climb.

We made our way down the dusty path.. as we neared the village of Supai, Az. Our dusty path turned into Coral Pink type sand. We caught our first glimpse of the Havasupai Creek, which indeed was a turquoise blue color. We stopped at the village, checked ourselves in and exhausted from lack of sleep the night before due to such excitement and 8 miles of backpacking with the last 2 miles in sand and 2 more sandy miles to go. Onward we trekked. Running on sheer determination and still an elusive fall to be seen. Another mile in, we round a corner and through the trees I see it.. a bright blue spot, thinking it was an illusion, I stopped and we listened, we could hear the thunder of the falls, the first set of falls, New Falls and Navajo Falls, I quickened my pace to as fast as my tired legs could go, you could feel the coolness of the falls in the air, and when the trees parted I squealed like a little kid seeing Disneyland for the first time. I knew my trekking partners were tired and wanted to set tents and nap, I wanted nothing but to get into the water that had entranced me over a year ago. I turned to my friends and said you can go on without me. As I headed down the hill, trying desperately to not knock myself over with that big pack on, I was unbuckling unsnapping and as quickly as possible getting that 33 lb anchor weight off of me, trekking poles flying, hiking boots tumbling, socks going here and there.. and laughing and giggling the whole way.. into the refreshing water I went.. my enthusiasm had caught my tired exhausted companions, as they made their way down to soak their tired feet in the cool waters, I went all in..

Time to move on, the next falls we pass to the campground are the main falls, the one that captured my attention and would not let go. Havasupai Falls.. I was soo excited to see that it was really as blue as the pictures I had seen. Stop for pics and move on, time to play in that later, we still need to find our camp and set up, before adventuring further, we had four days after all! Well three since the last day would be spent hiking out of the beautiful canyon. Our camp was right on the waters edge of Havasupai Creek.

The next days were a surreal blur of waterfall jumping, pool floating, laughing, hiking from one set of falls to the next. You can make a day trip and go 16 miles round trip down to the Grand Canyon and the Colorado River, but alas I still need to work more on that fear of heights, as the decent down to Mooney Falls is a narrow path chiseled out of the side of the rock, with chains to assist you on the 80 foot down, straight down climb, I gave it a shot, but did not make it.. next time.

Up at 3:00am on Sunday to begin the trek back out... Looking up from the canyon floor back at the last 1 mile of switchbacks, back up the canyon into the parking lot.. on goes the IPod, Jason from Authority Zero blasting out "Courage" to get me started, head down, I remind myself, every single step was worth it, completely worth it.....

Some pics to follow....

Edited by sand chick
  • Like 1

Man that is so cool. Great hike report, Jodi! Sweet photos too. Your preparation and enthusiasm reminds me alot of my long dual sport rides. It feels so good to HAVE to prepare and work for something knowing you are relying on smart decisions to actually survive. It's extra satisfying. I bet that feeling of finally getting to those awesome falls was almost overwhelming. Good for you. I'm glad you got to experience that place. It's been on our list for a while and we hope to one day hike it as well. I have a few buddies that go every year and their photos always amaze me.

• Like 1

Congratulations Jodi! Keeping your eye on the ball and not letting go of what you want is one of the great joys in life when you accomplish it. And you have the great pictures to prove it!!

• Like 1

wow nice was the water cold? what a nice place to go. about how long would it take to hike just to the big water fall and is it hot down there at night iam thinking the motorhome cant go lol great story thanks

The water temps are about 70. The day time temps were around 100ish night times 70ish. There is no day hiking allowed, only overnighters with permits. We went slow, had a mishap with one of our group, and with a dip and play time in the first set of falls, it took us from 5:00am - 11:30 to get to the big falls. The Havasupai Falls is 9 miles in. You could park a moho at the trailhead, if it was small, not much room there either, but someone did have a small Rent RV. Yep only foot traffic and mules.. They do have a lodge and for $85 one way you can get flown in on helicopter.. but going back out, you have to put your name on a list for the ride out and locals get priority.

Thank you everyone. :)

• Like 1

Thank you Paul and Neal.. hmmmm.... I may have to contact Backpacker magazine. I used them frequently while doing the research on equipment that was lightweight and affordable for me.

Now to prep and plan for next summers big trip.. St Anthony's ;)

The reservations are confusing. Is it $57 just to make a reservation then $17 a night? Or just $57 or $17 a night?????

Then all the other fees..... What about restrooms down there? Either way it looks like a Bucket list type of place.

The reservations are confusing. Is it $57 just to make a reservation then $17 a night? Or just $57 or $17 a night?????

Then all the other fees..... What about restrooms down there? Either way it looks like a Bucket list type of place.

I hear ya! That is why I went with this group. I paid a flat fee and let the leader take care of all the details, with the exception of my return mule. There are several different fees that the native's separate out.. there is the entrance fee which is $35.oo for each person, no matter how many nights you stay, then $5.oo each person no matter how many nights you stay, then camping is $17.00 per night. And all of that doubles if you show up with no reservations.

And there is always the Lodge if you don't want to rough it ;)

Extra's are the mules, which have a weight limit of 130 lbs and 4 bags, coolers, etc. those are $86.00 one way and worth it if you want to bring in extras like I did or if you just want to day pack it in.

They have out house style restrooms that are really nice, very clean and well cared for. The toilet paper is checked and added every other day. They have, what we dubbed "hamster cage filling" that you add to assist in the biodegrading process as they are not "pumped" And they had solar panels on them, when you opened the door and fan started up, no smell.

It is very much worth the trip.

• 9 months later...

I hear ya! That is why I went with this group. I paid a flat fee and let the leader take care of all the details, with the exception of my return mule. There are several different fees that the native's separate out.. there is the entrance fee which is $35.oo for each person, no matter how many nights you stay, then $5.oo each person no matter how many nights you stay, then camping is $17.00 per night. And all of that doubles if you show up with no reservations.

And there is always the Lodge if you don't want to rough it ;)

Extra's are the mules, which have a weight limit of 130 lbs and 4 bags, coolers, etc. those are $86.00 one way and worth it if you want to bring in extras like I did or if you just want to day pack it in.

They have out house style restrooms that are really nice, very clean and well cared for. The toilet paper is checked and added every other day. They have, what we dubbed "hamster cage filling" that you add to assist in the biodegrading process as they are not "pumped" And they had solar panels on them, when you opened the door and fan started up, no smell.

It is very much worth the trip.

Seems like very affordable summer adventure..Even I would love to become part of the group and have some fun.. :):)

Edited by LouButtram
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like very affordable summer adventure..Even I would love to become part of the group and have some fun.. :) :)

The group is http://www.meetup.com/VegasHikers/

They already have this trip in the planning stages, but I have seen several people sell their spots as plans change.

I am looking forward to this year's big adventure.. I actually have two planned with this group http://www.meetup.com/Sue-Bright-Adventures/ which I am a leader on...

Heading to Antelope Canyon in May:

post-2396-0-60151000-1397068309_thumb.jp

And for my birthday, backpacking for 4 days along Kern River in Cali :bday:

post-2396-0-39193100-1397068524_thumb.jp

I have several smaller adventures to keep me busy all summer... everyone I have met on these groups have been awesome, and I have made several great, fun loving, genuine close friends. If you enjoy hiking, camping or anything like that I really recommend these groups, especially if you have no one to go with. I am not a big bar person, finding people who wanted to do things other then hang out at a bar was difficult for me, going alone is fun sometimes. So grateful I found these groups. I am never bored ;)