ultra-light plane crash in the dunes

dunefreak

On the way back from a ride to the north pole on Saturday, we came up on a bunch of people standing around some wreckage in the dunes near the northwest end kinda near the superbowl. We stopped to see what happen and found out that an ultralight plane had gone down. The pilot's friends said that they didn't know what caused the crash, but the plane took a hard left/ dip and crashed in the dunes. :(

We helped them load the wreckage from the ultra-light into their truck. They told us the pilot broke his leg, had some broken ribs, and cut his head kinda bad and that they were transporting him to the hospital. They were in pretty high spirits about him. They said that he was so happy to have his new toy out and is gonna be so upset that it is destroyed now.

We heard from one of the Rangers that the pilot died in transit to the hospital, but it is not confirmed. Hopefully it is just a rumor and he is ok.

S2010013~4.JPG

S2010012~4.JPG

S2010014~3.JPG

Dumont doesnt have the rules glamis does... Allthough you can get away with quite a bit... ultralights dont go by the standard FAA guidlines they have thier own special rules... In glamis there are a few areas where you cannot LAND within certain distance of roads people so on and so forth but not those same rules for dumont... so technically he can make a runway leaving camp and not worry about it.

Well the pilot is a friend of mines father in law. My friend was also out at Dumont on Saturday and we all heard that he was ok in the Las Vegas hospital. The friend was at comp hill with us on Saturday night and all seemed ok, so I'm not sure the rumor is true.

Well I do not think that rumor is true. I hear he just has a few broken bones like his pelvis, but I'm not sure so I hope he is ok.

I read bout that after I posted about the rumor I heard. :beercheers: That's why I didn't want to post up that it was a for sure thing and that it was a rumor. I wasn't sure. :D

I hope he is ok and recovers quickly.

I'm no expert on anything, but of all the places I've hung out at all over the world,, no place has more tricky and unpredictable winds than Dumont.

Hence the crazy shaped, razor filled, gigantic, tribal pattern dunes.

Not sure I would ever want to be in a flimsy aircraft there.

I've been sitting in camp, then a sonic boom of a windstorm hits.

Brutal, knocked out the Big Thermometer in Baker, blew out windshields,,,, lots of respect from this kid on the Dumont winds.

Fly a kite sure, sit on a kite aloft,, ummmm,,,, maybe not.

Edited by Ross and Alice

i ran into a guy at BW's tonite that was there. he said he was the first person to come up on the guy that crashed. said he was an older dude, 60 something. just caught a bad updraft over the top of the dune and lost flight. he said he had bone sticking out of his leg. :laughoff:

i ran into a guy at BW's tonite that was there. he said he was the first person to come up on the guy that crashed. said he was an older dude, 60 something. just caught a bad updraft over the top of the dune and lost flight. he said he had bone sticking out of his leg. :laughoff:

Yeah his friends on the scene told me leg was pretty nasty. :laughoff::laughoff: It was turned around the wrong way he said. :laughoff:

Update on this incident:

The pilot did NOT die. :D He is in UMC trauma though with some pretty serious injuries. :( Here is what his neice posted up on DSD....

Hey there to all who are wondering about the Ultralight crash... He is my Uncle and he is still at the UMC Las Vegas ICU Trauma. His name is Mike. His status changes by the hour. Dr.s able to piece his ankle back together right away. He is in traction for his femur, went through his hip and broke his hip, surgery is scheduled for tomorrow on his hip. All ribs are broke, bruised lungs, punctured one very small though, broke two vert in his back, today started out good. he developed a fever this afternoon.

kim

Thank YOU ALL!!! for the PRAYERS and to EVERYONE WHO HELPED. I cant say it LOUD ENOUGH. A little update for you all, today Uncle did not go for surgery his vitals are still all over the place and now they say his heart is bruised. We just want him better and closer to home, really hard being this far away.

All we can do is hope for the best at this point. I hope he recovers fully and quickly. It is sad to hear about his injuries, but it is good news to hear that he survived. :D My thoughts go out to the pilot.

it sounds like his family isnt local?? does anyone know if he has anyone here to check on him? being in ICU I believe only immediate family can visit, but I bet it would do a world of good for him to know the local duning family is here should he need us??

Hmm, that's a good question/ I'll see what I can do to find out. I think it would be pretty cool to stop by and wish the poor guy our best from DDR.

Hello all,

I am a trike pilot, a student of the person who had the accident last saturday. I am the one of the persons in the pictures, in the black t-shirt. He is doing better, broken ankle, leg, pelvis, ribs, all pretty much on the right side. I spent 2 days with him in Vegas at the hospital, and his vitals are good, he is alert, but the ribs give him the most pain. Considering the nature of the accident, he is doing very well. Now it we need to keep is spirits up...he is not used to laying around, he is used to flying!

Regarding the crash. We, the other pilots, are still gathering info, and talking to the pilot as to exactly what happened.

Prayers to the people and thier families involved the sand rail accident.

Blue Skies, Jonathan

Hmm, that's a good question/ I'll see what I can do to find out. I think it would be pretty cool to stop by and wish the poor guy our best from DDR.

Any messages that anyone wants me to give to the pilot, I will galdly do so. :D Family is visiting him all day, every day. Fellow pilots are too. He has been removed from the T-ICU list, as his condition has improved, and he will be moving to a non ICU room. I will be there in a few days again to give him any messages anyone may want to send.

Blue Skies, Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan

Im so sorry to hear about this. I hope he has a speedy recovery and I wish that there was something that we can all do other then pray. Tell Him good luck with his hip surgery if they decide to go through with it. I know he has got to be in so much pain. I can relate when it comes to his hip. a little advice for if they put them in an "A-BRACE" Make sure that they align the hip perfectly or it will heal the way that it gets positioned. That itself is no fun... let alone all of the other broken bones. :( Hes in our prayers nakedangel.gif

post-1219-1162752870.jpg

Edited by Resident^Blonde

Hello all,

I am a trike pilot, a student of the person who had the accident last saturday. I am the one of the persons in the pictures, in the black t-shirt. He is doing better, broken ankle, leg, pelvis, ribs, all pretty much on the right side. I spent 2 days with him in Vegas at the hospital, and his vitals are good, he is alert, but the ribs give him the most pain. Considering the nature of the accident, he is doing very well. Now it we need to keep is spirits up...he is not used to laying around, he is used to flying!

Regarding the crash. We, the other pilots, are still gathering info, and talking to the pilot as to exactly what happened.

Prayers to the people and thier families involved the sand rail accident.

Blue Skies, Jonathan

Any messages that anyone wants me to give to the pilot, I will galdly do so. :D Family is visiting him all day, every day. Fellow pilots are too. He has been removed from the T-ICU list, as his condition has improved, and he will be moving to a non ICU room. I will be there in a few days again to give him any messages anyone may want to send.

Blue Skies, Jonathan

Thanks for the update, Jonathan. :think: It's good to hear he is improving. I hope he recovers ok. If there is anything we can do to help please let us know and keep us updated on his condition! :D

Maybe we should get a card together or sign something online and send it to him from DDR?

Maybe we should get a card together or sign something online and send it to him from DDR?

A card would be great! I can hand deliver it to him anytime. I think he will be in Vegas for another week or so, then back home to Hesperia, where I live also. Let me know what I can do to make this happen. I will most likely be going to see him on wednesday. You can also just send the card to me...email me for my mailing address if you want, jonathanimartin@yahoo.com. Or I can print out emails if you send them to me. Thanks so much, to all that are thinking of him. Mike is his name by the way.

I spoke with him on the phone tonight, he had a better night last night, and surgery is planned for tuesday. I will pass that advice regarding the brace on to his wife, who is there with him.

Blue skies, Jonathan

Blue Skies, Jonathan

So glad to hear he has been moved out of ICU. thats always a good sign. sounds like he is on the road to recovery. A long road it will be. Please let him know the DDR family is thinking of him and hopes for a speedy recovery. If there is anything we can do to help, please let us know.

thanks so much

post-1457-1162842859.jpg

post-1457-1162842961.jpg

Hello Everyone,

GOOD news he has been moved from trauma icu to a step down unit. and surgery is scheduled for next tuesday on his hip. then a transport homeward... yay! My Grandmother and My Aunt (his wife) are there all week. Myself and some of his fly'buddies have been visiting when we can. I have let him know about this site and DDR's (thank you) and it made him happy to know soooo many people care. You all have been awesome and WE THANK YOU. Maybe someday we can meet out at the Dunes! He would love it!

PEACE, Kim