Dumpsters at Dumont?

Dumpsters at Dumont  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see dumpsters at Dumont Dunes? (if paid for by the duners)

• yes
    • no

The Technical Review Team for the Dumont Dunes has been discussing the possibility of bringing dumpsters to Dumont on a regular basis.

At the expense of the dune users.

Friends of Dumont Dunes (www.FriendsOfDumontDunes.org) has a representative on the TRT (John Dalgleish) and our vice president, Terry Allen, represents Nevada duners on the TRT.

As the organization that focuses solely on the Dumont dunes, we work for YOU, the Dumont dune user.

So... we need to know what it is the Dumont duning community would like us to fight for.

Do the users want dumpsters at Dumont?

Let's talk about it.

ALL opinions are welcome and needed so please start talking!

Vicki

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say no, for reasons already stated. It would be a huge place for lazy people to just throw their trash "next to", and when the wind blows it would be a huge mess.

I have nothing worth adding to this post!! - I have nothing worth adding to this post!! - I have nothing worth adding to this post!! - x2

Absolutley NOT. I would not like to see them there. Just like everyone else said...

-overfilling problems

-wind blowing trash away

-duners who are OK with packing it out will have to pay the extra fees

-I think it will create more mess, more headache

It will destroy the whole concept of PACK IT IN, PACK IT OUT. I think more people will leave trash behind rather than trying to keep the place clean. I also think more people will look at Dumont as a recreational "park" (per say) and they'll think there are people (like staff) that pick up after them if a mess is left behind if dumpsters are there on a regular basis.

NO DUMPSTERS! :think::dunno: If any more fees are going to be implemented, why not use them for all these rangers to actually enforce items like people leaving trash behind?

I AM NOT STATING MY POSITION HERE DEVILS ADVOCATE

WHAT ABOUT THE LAZY PEOPLE NOW WHO ARE NOT VETRAN DUNE GOERS WHO CANNOT FIND A PLACE TO DUMP THERE TRASH . WILL NOT THE HIGH FEES PAID PAY FOR SANITATION??? WOULD IT HELP CUT DOWN ON TRASH ALL OVER THE HIGHWAY FROM MISPLACED TRASH??

IS IT NOT CHEAPER I/E COST EFFECTIVE TO HAVE OVERFLOW IN ONE SPOT VS SCATTERED BETWEEN DUMONT AND PAHRUMP OR DUMONT AND BAKER ???? IT WOULD COST MORE MONEY TO GET THE CLEANUP CREWS IN THERE TO DO IT ALL OVER THE HWY, WHERE A TRACTOR WITH OPEN BUCKET JAW ON A SKIP COULD CLEAN IT UP PRETTY QUICK I DUNNO :dunno:

DO NOT SHOOT ME IM ONLY ASKING QUESTIONS TO FORM AN OPINION YOU TRASH NUTZIS

Edited by barefoot bob

I do not want to see dumpsters at Dumont for the reasons allready stated as well as once the BLM puts dumpsters out there they can never pull them, they would be perminent and forever. We have heard $100,000+ per year to do it. :dunno::think:

I AM NOT STATING MY POSITION HERE DEVILS ADVOCATE

WHAT ABOUT THE LAZY PEOPLE NOW WHO ARE NOT VETRAN DUNE GOERS WHO CANNOT FIND A PLACE TO DUMP THERE TRASH . WILL NOT THE HIGH FEES PAID PAY FOR SANITATION??? WOULD IT HELP CUT DOWN ON TRASH ALL OVER THE HIGHWAY FROM MISPLACED TRASH??

IS IT NOT CHEAPER I/E COST EFFECTIVE TO HAVE OVERFLOW IN ONE SPOT VS SCATTERED BETWEEN DUMONT AND PAHRUMP OR DUMONT AND BAKER ???? IT WOULD COST MORE MONEY TO GET THE CLEANUP CREWS IN THERE TO DO IT ALL OVER THE HWY, WHERE A TRACTOR WITH OPEN BUCKET JAW ON A SKIP COULD CLEAN IT UP PRETTY QUICK I DUNNO :blink:

DO NOT SHOOT ME IM ONLY ASKING QUESTIONS TO FORM AN OPINION YOU TRASH NUTZIS

Bob, No your fees would have to be raised to cover the costs. The money comeing from the Govenment has been shinking and the costs have been rising, the fee money has been used to fill in the gap. :dunno::think:

flame away biotches

Dumpsters work at pismo beach, and there are far more people that go there throughout the year than do dumont ( i typed do dumont :D )

I think if they are placed strategically, like next to the ranger station, and the rangers could ticket people who abuse the dumpster (sir, you stand accused of dumpster abuse :dunno: ), and make sure there are enough dumpsters to last a big weekend, then ok

it cut down on the trash at pismo, and I think, with a little planning, it would cut down on the trash at dumont too!!!

some of you will argue that the fees will go up

20 bucks for 7 days worth of recreating??? or 60 bucks for a year??????? you are already getting away with murder

Pismo costs 5 dollars a day for day use, and 10 bucks a day to camp overnight.

Edited by RICHARDCHEESE

Richard, the cost of having dumpsters out there and your suggestion of having LEO's enforce correct trash disposal would cost a fortune! This all started from a letter from a fire chief in Inyo county complaining about a few bags of trash that have flown out of backs of pick ups or open trailers and landed on the side of the road on the way to Tecopa or Pahrump. I think better education would have a greater effect than an increase of very possibly a fee of upwards of $150.00 per year. Think about cost of transport of the dumpsters to and fro and then O/T to LEO's to be on trash patrol? Not on my watch! If we educate people about tying down the trash bags on their way home we will be ok. Maybe we could put a letter together asking rv dealers in Las Vegas to instruct new 5th wheel owners of the amount of wind vortex that goes thru a back of a p/u with a 5th wheel on it. I don't know the answer but dumpsters and leo's to watch it isn't the answer in my opinion.

Richard, the cost of having dumpsters out there and your suggestion of having LEO's enforce correct trash disposal would cost a fortune! This all started from a letter from a fire chief in Inyo county complaining about a few bags of trash that have flown out of backs of pick ups or open trailers and landed on the side of the road on the way to Tecopa or Pahrump. I think better education would have a greater effect than an increase of very possibly a fee of upwards of $150.00 per year. Think about cost of transport of the dumpsters to and fro and then O/T to LEO's to be on trash patrol? Not on my watch! If we educate people about tying down the trash bags on their way home we will be ok. Maybe we could put a letter together asking rv dealers in Las Vegas to instruct new 5th wheel owners of the amount of wind vortex that goes thru a back of a p/u with a 5th wheel on it. I don't know the answer but dumpsters and leo's to watch it isn't the answer in my opinion.

I am post whoring to get my 300th post :think:

anyway, 150 dollars??? I was thinking like 25 bucks for a weeks use, and 75 bucks for an annual pass. think about all the trucks and other vehicles paying to get in.

figure out of 20000 people there over thanksgiving, figure 4 per car, so 5000 tow vehicles @ 5 bucks

that is 25,000 bucks just in one weekend!!!!!!! summer time won't apply as NOONE (but the freeking red bull riders, and the occasional early morning, late night warriors) rides in the heat.

are you telling me it would cost over 100,000 bucks to do trash bins???? :dunno:

and as for leo's just for watching the trash, I didn't say that, I said place the bins by the ranger station so that they could easily be seen.

Edited by RICHARDCHEESE

are you telling me it would cost over 100,000 bucks to do trash bins????

Or more. It would have to be trucked to Parump and pay out of state dump fees. :icon_twisted: :driver:

why not truck it to Baker?

and if my figures were correct for thanksgiving, what about holloween, christmas, new years, president's day , easter, dumont cleanup, and the rest? If Turkey weekend comes up with a quarter of it alone, then 100 grand should be pretty easy to attain throughout the year by just adding 5 bucks, right???

Edited by RICHARDCHEESE

I beleive education is the way. Rangers need to remind people. Comp hill at night is a good place.

Let's not turn this into a :icon_twisted: among ourselves

Write a letters, go to meetings get solid information first.

oh god, i hope people don't think I am arguing with them. if you thought that, I am sorry, and didn t mean to let it go that far

I was just offering ideas.

How about a paying dump spot? You don't want to haul your trash, pay $5 per visit to the dumpster. If you are caught just leaving trash $150 per incident, an you have to clean it - payable to the rangers on duty.

oh god, i hope people don't think I am arguing with them. if you thought that, I am sorry, and didn t mean to let it go that far

I was just offering ideas.

It's all good. You of everyone knows how these treads can get.

So BE GOOD :icon_twisted: I have dogs. :driver:

Edited by desertskyz

Yes, it will cost at least $100,000 a year and that’s before the anti-access crowd gets their hooks into it and starts demanding ‘special’ dumpsters or they’ll seek total closure.

Someone mentioned Pismo... that’s a California State Park and an entirely different kettle of fish when it comes to how they get their money.

There is no way around it... dumpsters at Dumont would be paid for by the users of Dumont.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that... if the users of Dumont want it that way, that is.

The question “Do you want to see dumpsters at Dumont” would be answered differently if it was asked “Do you want to pay for dumpsters at Dumont.” And then ask the question of where they might like to see that $100,000 spent instead and the answer may differ.

Vicki

The question “Do you want to see dumpsters at Dumont” would be answered differently if it was asked “Do you want to pay for dumpsters at Dumont.” And then ask the question of where they might like to see that $100,000 spent instead and the answer may differ.

Vicki

Since it hasn't gotten too far into the poll yet, i changed/added to that question, Vicki. :icon_twisted: