What lessons have you learned on owning toy haulers

Kitcat

The only advice I can offer to you is when you are not using the TH, plug it in to keep the batteries fresh and fully charged. But be sure to check the water level in the batteries often. If you can park it at your house, then this will work, but if you have to store it, then I guess it wouldn't work. That's all I can offer, hope it helps............ :jester:

ill have to kindly disagree with you on the shower thing bob.

have you seen the newer walk-around bathrooms in the front bedroom toy haulers? 5th wheel size. I was in a Stellar 28 w/ a walk around bathroom, and I could literally put my arms straight out to the sides and turn around, and not hit anything.

more than big enough, imo

:jester: you just want to argue................... :laughoff::thumb::laughoff::laughoff::laughoff::laughoff::laughoff::laughoff:

The only advice I can offer to you is when you are not using the TH, plug it in to keep the batteries fresh and fully charged. But be sure to check the water level in the batteries often. If you can park it at your house, then this will work, but if you have to store it, then I guess it wouldn't work. That's all I can offer, hope it helps............ :thumb:

Thanks for the advice!!! :jester:

Toy haulers are HEAVY with lots of tongue weight. Even though a 1/2 truck may be within capacities, it is nuts to pull all but the lightest/smallest toy haulers.

^^ yep...very true

Here's an axample of a toyhauler you can SAFELY tow with a half ton. :headbang1:

post-3-1165810634.jpg

can you tow a toyhauler with a half ton? Yes

are half tons built as well for the job as 3/4 tons and 1 tons and higher? no

are gas motors as good as diesels for towing? no

can a gas motor tow well? yes

I towed for over a year an Attitude fk19 with a 10,000 lb gvwr with a chevy tahoe 4x4 with the 5.3 z-71 off-road suspension, better than the plush suspension suv ride for towing, imo

it can be done, BUT you must stay within your capacities.

fi youve never towed a toy hauler with a half ton, one that was within your specs at the time, then you have no business answering, right??

can you tow a toyhauler with a half ton? Yes

are half tons built as well for the job as 3/4 tons and 1 tons and higher? no

are gas motors as good as diesels for towing? no

can a gas motor tow well? yes

I towed for over a year an Attitude fk19 with a 10,000 lb gvwr with a chevy tahoe 4x4 with the 5.3 z-71 off-road suspension, better than the plush suspension suv ride for towing, imo

it can be done, BUT you must stay within your capacities.

fi youve never towed a toy hauler with a half ton, one that was within your specs at the time, then you have no business answering, right??

Why is everyone suddenly talking about things like 1/2 ton trucks and gas motors in this thread??? Is there something I'm missing somewhere???

Dont need to worry about weight w/ your truck.

I have learned several lessons about what to look for in a toyhauler.

1- Buy a reputable brand that others have had success with and dont buy a cheaper hauler just to get a longer one, Buy the best one you can afford.

2- Make sure it has 2 15 gallon propane tanks because having the 5 gallon tanks ia pain because Your continually swithching over tanks.

3- You need 2 deep cycle batteries. Some come with 1 and that doesnt work out well when you have to hook up your truck @ 2:30 am because your furnace wont blow because of a dead battery.

4- MOST IMPORTANT!!! Make sure you get a set of quality tires on your trailer no CARLIlLES(sp?) Prefer Greenballs or at least Maxxis.On my other camper i was spending around $800. a season on tires.

I had a thor tahoe 2005 33.5ft that barely made 2 years before i had to replace it and there is basicaly no resale value on used camper trailers so its imprortant to buy one you feel will last as long as possible with the proper care.

Edited by rednekoki

Dont need to worry about weight w/ your truck.

I have learned several lessons about what to look for in a toyhauler.

1- Buy a reputable brand that others have had success with and dont buy a cheaper hauler just to get a longer one, Buy the best one you can afford.

2- Make sure it has 2 15 gallon propane tanks because having the 5 gallon tanks ia pain because Your continually swithching over tanks.

3- You need 2 deep cycle batteries. Some come with 1 and that doesnt work out well when you have to hook up your truck @ 2:30 am because your furnace wont blow because of a dead battery.

4- MOST IMPORTANT!!! Make sure you get a set of quality tires on your trailer no CARLIlLES(sp?) Prefer Greenballs or at least Maxxis.On my other camper i was spending around $800. a season on tires.

I had a thor tahoe 2005 33.5ft that barely made 2 years before i had to replace it and there is basicaly no resale value on used camper trailers so its imprortant to buy one you feel will last as long as possible with the proper care.

Wow - great advice!!! THANKS!!! My husband said they sell the deep cycle batteries at Costco. I'll have him check that out!!

I noticed that you also mentioned taking it to the mountains.....you might want to be careful on length.

We'd be taking it to Utah, but there's no windy roads where we'd go. Why did you say to worry about length? I think we'd be going with a 26-28 ft hauler.

Some campgrounds are limited. Just something to think about.

Yeah, he's absolutely right!! When calling to reserve sites, make sure they know what you're camping with. Some spots may be too short to keep the hauler hooked up, then you need room to park the truck, too! Some campgrounds will have pull-thru spots which makes it much easier to park. :D

Yeah, he's absolutely right!! When calling to reserve sites, make sure they know what you're camping with. Some spots may be too short to keep the hauler hooked up, then you need room to park the truck, too! Some campgrounds will have pull-thru spots which makes it much easier to park. :D

Last time we went to Utah, our friends reserved 2 spots at the camp ground. One for their 37 ft FW and the other we used to park the trucks. I don't want to go any bigger than 30 ft.

1. If you have Carlisle Tires, replace them right away! We had a blowout our second trip out with our Rage'n and it did some damage! On the plus side, Carlisle paid for all the damages and replaced all our tires. We sold the new tires and bought Goodyear Marathons and have been happy ever since.

2. Definately get a built in generator if you can, and get a 4K or larger if you want to run your a/c.

3. You can never have enough battery power. Conserve power as much as possible or you will have dead batteries and no furnace in the morning.

4. Driving fast over railroad tracks will break leaf springs.

5. Lock up all your toys. Theives are everywhere.

6. Bring extra drinking water and food just in case you break down and are stuck out in the middle of nowhere!

7. Make sure you are within the weight carrying capacity of your trailer. Weigh your rig at a truck stop to be sure.

Not sure how much a gallon of water weights or even gas but it took me about three or four trips to Dumont from Vegas before I realized I could fill up my trailer when I got there in Baker. What a difference towing!! So if you are going somewhere you are familiar with fill your fresh water tank and/or gas tank up when you get there. Same thing when leaving.... DUMP!! (not in the dunes)

Not sure how much a gallon of water weights or even gas but it took me about three or four trips to Dumont from Vegas before I realized I could fill up my trailer when I got there in Baker. What a difference towing!! So if you are going somewhere you are familiar with fill your fresh water tank and/or gas tank up when you get there. Same thing when leaving.... DUMP!! (not in the dunes)

water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon.

I personally haven't ever felt the difference being full or empty on water. Heavy is heavy. 7,000, 9,000, 12,000- it all feels the same to me. :blury::laughoff: It doesn't matter much when you have a diesel anyways. :laughoff: Just my .02. :banghead:

1. If you have Carlisle Tires, replace them right away! We had a blowout our second trip out with our Rage'n and it did some damage! On the plus side, Carlisle paid for all the damages and replaced all our tires. We sold the new tires and bought Goodyear Marathons and have been happy ever since.

2. Definately get a built in generator if you can, and get a 4K or larger if you want to run your a/c.

3. You can never have enough battery power. Conserve power as much as possible or you will have dead batteries and no furnace in the morning.

4. Driving fast over railroad tracks will break leaf springs.

5. Lock up all your toys. Theives are everywhere.

6. Bring extra drinking water and food just in case you break down and are stuck out in the middle of nowhere!

7. Make sure you are within the weight carrying capacity of your trailer. Weigh your rig at a truck stop to be sure.

Good ideas. We have a lock for our toys (and insurance, too). It's a nice big lock we got at Cycle Gear.

Isn't gas more expensive in Baker???

Prepare for anything. Haulers may come with a spare but no jack or tools. I carry two spares because Three axles, 6 tires, and a second flat would suck.

If you are a neat freak or close to it, get a bus and enclosed trailer.

Having the upgrade upholstery wont matter after a few trips with toys. use staingard spray.

If you can have the tie down rings placed where you want, plan your loading before they install.

If you can live w/o the hi/lo bed in the rear, dont get it, It is a pain if you dont use it and storing stuff in it can cause issues. can add more cabinets if it isnt there!

We like the "tent" wall at the ramp opening

Outside speakers!

Black tank flush cleaner attached to the tank. no hoses in the trailer!

Check how many gallons of water are left at each sensor level. We Have 120 gal tank and it has 60 gals at 1/3 full (2/3 empty) per gauge. Good to know if you use water like at home.

Remember, you will dent, scratch, etc when loading toys once in a while. If anyone has never done it, they are a liar.

No diamond plate on the ramp! looks cool, slippery as hell!

Also, you need to load up the stuff you unload when you leave. Just keep in mind all the stuff that takes a day or two to unload, setup and enjoy, usually gets packed up in a few hours. Not the funnest thing. Its fun to pack to go to dumont etc, but sucks to pack to leave. Because you have to unpack it again to clean everything!

Just my 2 cents,(if that)!