Dumont Cleanup Details- how it works...

dunefreak

Just wondering where the cleanup people setup? :DDRrocks: This is my first cleanup, tho it should be my fifth. Do they setup on vendor row? Need to know so I can adjust my campsite if need be. I'll be getting there Thursday evening........ :ban-split: :jester2: :headbang1::happydrunks::thumb:

The actual event will be across from where the campground hosts are set up(orange netting near RR#10) You can camp anywhere and just come over to register in the morning and get your trash bags. the Dumpsters will be just off the road nearby. The lunch and raffle will be at the event site and we will have a couple trailers there providing sun/rain protection with awnings. We are very easy to spot that's for sure!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The actual event will be across from where the campground hosts are set up

Will it be on the same side of the road as the campground hosts, or the other side of the road from them? I usually camp about 100 yds. behind them (them being between the road and me)

Edited by HappyHour

Will it be on the same side of the road as the campground hosts, or the other side of the road from them? I usually camp about 100 yds. behind them (them being between the road and me)

Across the road on the right going in. Not to worry you weill be able to find us easily. We will have banners etc and at least 2 very large orange dumpsters!

Thanks Vicki. I thought I might have forgotten something. :beercheers:

also..

I am going to try and figure out a system that is easier to track the number of bags that DDR collects this year. Last year was a mess. I was running all over the place trying to find everyone and add the number up in my head. :thumbsdown: Any suggestions or volunteers to help me out with that? :beercheers: We (DumontDuneRiders) need to be group that collects the most this year. :DDRrocks:

If it was me, I'd decide on a very specific spot where everyone in the group places their filled bags. Use a magic marker to number them maybe or just have someone "log them in" as they're dropped off (we'll work out a way for them to get the raffle tickets too). The pictures of the piles of bags would be great to see and you'd have an easy way to verify just how many bags you all did bring in. :D

Getting the pile of bags to the dumpsters is an easy enough task at the end of it all.

Vicki

I'm gonna throw out a suggestion here....

How about using mailing labels (Davey and I can supply) to stick on each bag collected, mark them as "DDR" and the screename (to help track raffle tickets, too many same first names on here) and then use one of the flatbed trailers offered for use as the designated drop-off spot for the trash bags. The trash bags will already be gathered, marked, and ready to deliver to the dumpsters.

I'm gonna throw out a suggestion here....

How about using mailing labels (Davey and I can supply) to stick on each bag collected, mark them as "DDR" and the screename (to help track raffle tickets, too many same first names on here) and then use one of the flatbed trailers offered for use as the designated drop-off spot for the trash bags. The trash bags will already be gathered, marked, and ready to deliver to the dumpsters.

I could cruise around as a sort of rolling dumpster/collection point. I'm kinda easy to spot. My trailer is a 5x8 open bed, I can rig up solid sides on it by then if necessary. The 5x10 bed of my truck can hold quite a few too.

I could cruise around as a sort of rolling dumpster/collection point. I'm kinda easy to spot. My trailer is a 5x8 open bed, I can rig up solid sides on it by then if necessary. The 5x10 bed of my truck can hold quite a few too.

I like that idea Mike! You know our kids are gonna want to ride with you! Some more peeps could just jump aboard for transportation to an area for a group "attack". :beercheers:

For convenience sake, I was thinking a couple of flatbeds strategically placed....like one out at comp and maybe another out on the flats somewhere, or even the S. pole area 'cause lots-o-trash blew out that way. Could save folks time hauling trash bags back and forth, and will leave MORE time for collecting trash! :DDRrocks:

Good idea Kelly!! :driver: I can help with that too if you need me to. Just let me know! :beercheers:

Thanks Tiff!! Pete may want someone stationed at the flatbed(s) to log the bags in. I can see you and me doing that, each at a different "station" if need be. We could keep a running list on a clipboard so everyone gets credit for their bags and the raffle tickets that go with it. It would be easy to tally the final count.

:thumbsdown:

As Pete put it, "We (DumontDuneRiders) need to be group that collects the most this year."

If :clap: b :gayboy: by the way.

how about someone posted there form ddr to take a count of the bags the ddr peeps need to have a sticker to show who we are so the trash counter car ID the best peeps out there I have a peep that will be glad to do that :DDRrocks: we need to take the prize :headbang1::laughoff:

Pete if I can help let me now of if some one else needs help with something let me now

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I'm new at this but just a suggestion. How about one or two of us hang out by the dumpsters and count bags as they are disposed of? That way we are checked and double checked and can make sure everyone gets their raffle tickets. And DDR gets and acurate count. Sorry for the spelling mistakes it's 4:30am and I can't sleep. :(

If it was me, I'd decide on a very specific spot where everyone in the group places their filled bags. Use a magic marker to number them maybe or just have someone "log them in" as they're dropped off (we'll work out a way for them to get the raffle tickets too). The pictures of the piles of bags would be great to see and you'd have an easy way to verify just how many bags you all did bring in. :D

Getting the pile of bags to the dumpsters is an easy enough task at the end of it all.

Vicki

:clap: Vicki,

We are trying to get a few designated drop off spots to make it more convenient for peeps to unload the trash and head out for more. We will have a person stationed at each one to "log them in". My question has to do with the raffle tickets. Is it at all possible to have some tickets at each station to hand out as the bags are brought in?? Then there wouldn't be that last minute rush to get everyone's raffle tickets to them in time for the drawings to start. Obviously, we would turn in any 'unclaimed' tickets with the log sheet.

Or any other ideas??

Thanks in advance :D

Kelly

:clap: Vicki,

We are trying to get a few designated drop off spots to make it more convenient for peeps to unload the trash and head out for more. We will have a person stationed at each one to "log them in". My question has to do with the raffle tickets. Is it at all possible to have some tickets at each station to hand out as the bags are brought in?? Then there wouldn't be that last minute rush to get everyone's raffle tickets to them in time for the drawings to start. Obviously, we would turn in any 'unclaimed' tickets with the log sheet.

Or any other ideas??

Thanks in advance :D

Kelly

Vicki is at Glamis till Monday. read the other volunteer post for other options.

If DDR has people handing out tickets then they should not be able to win the most bags collected B) :icon_twisted: :driver:

Holy cow!! That came outta left field! I never even considered counting the tickets in lieu of the actual trash bags. Honestly I think that would be harder to do. Sorry, I'm still in shock. :ahhhhh:

Apparently this seems to be an issue. Obviously, we are just there to help, and ANYONE (DDR or not) who wanted to drop off bags at our locations throughout the dunes would be given a ticket as well. We are not here to take anything or to cheat for a plastic trophy!! I understand your concern though. I think we found an alternative so we're all good. :DDRrocks:

Phewww, thanks Tiff. Good points...LOL, I sure as heck won't turn down a bag full-o-trash!! :D

I think the point that was trying to be made is that in all fairness and so FoDD will not have to listen about anyone bitchen is that we have to regulate the tickets. How would you feel if the tables were turned? This is a small $5.00 trophy meant to envoke competition. It's a fun prize and for the last 4 years we have had not one disagreement nor dismay about how the tickets were handed out. Since I would have to listen to the bitchen I am suggesting that the tickets will be issued upon bringing the bags to the dumpster. Has worked for the last 4 and will probably work for the next 10 or so!

I appreciate the effort you guys are planning and are hoping that come Sat. morning that you will volunteer at the sign up table to make sure it flows smoothly. That would certainly be appreciated by us and the folks that come out to help.

One last thing it's gonna be hot, so if you have an ez up bring it, hats and sunscreen also. The ez up's will come in handy at the raffle drawing! I would bring a chair also, it can get a little long but we try to move things along as fast as we can.

Anybody have a quiet type generator like a Honda or yamaha we can use to power the sound system? :icon_twisted: :DDRrocks:

O.K., I’ve had some time to think about this now and I have a better understanding of your point Mr. Sandemon. Please let me explain my reaction.

#1 It never occurred to me that other people, meaning non-DDR members, would want to drop their trash bags at one of our sites set up around the dunes. But as Crasher (Tiffany) mentioned, why refuse them. I see where you are coming from about counting the tickets towards our (DDR) total count because:

#2 I had to picture in my mind a roll of tickets and realized there will be two of each, 1 to give the person and 1 for the "kitty." And IF we did accept any and everybody's trash bags and IF we used the tickets as the method to count the total collected, that would weigh heavily in DDR's favor. I understand that (now). :icon_twisted:

However, my original suggestion in this thread was to have a person at each site (maybe 3 or 4 sites at most?), log the trash bag in by labeling it for DDR (if need be) and log the screename on a separate sheet of paper with say, a simple slash mark for each bag they turn in. We would have a running total of members' bags collected and it would only take a few minutes before the drawing starts to tally up the totals from each site. FODD could verify this total! I thought the simplest way to get the raffle tickets to each member was to hand them out as the bags came in. But if that is not going to be an option, I'm sure SailAway (Vicki) will help us and we will figure out a plan 'B'.

Now I'll be able to sleep tonight. :D

Edited by dinicolady

Ah, so many little details to work out... all part of the fun. :D

Who will hand out the tickets for the group bags? Dunno... will it be a DDR member? Could be. But more likely it will just be another cleanup volunteer, one of many we will have on hand. And only because that's why they'll be there... it's their job, don'tcha know.

One thing we will be doing is... as people are registering for the cleanup, getting their raffle tickets, empty bags, etc., we will also have a clipboard where organized groups will be signing up so that when we're in the heat of the moment we can more easily keep things at least a little more organized. Everyone who is working the registration area will be asking people as they sign up "are you hear with a group?" and if they say yes, they'll be directed to sign up.

The designated drop off spots for those group bags would most easily be right there at the dumpsters where there will be plenty of volunteers with raffle tickets on hand to help keep the numbers and tickets straight. And right now, as I'm heading to bed... that's about as clear as my mind can handle. :icon_twisted: All other details will have to wait for tomorrow.

Good night everyone.

Vicki

However, my original suggestion in this thread was to have a person at each site (maybe 3 or 4 sites at most?), log the trash bag in by labeling it for DDR (if need be) and log the screename on a separate sheet of paper with say, a simple slash mark for each bag they turn in. We would have a running total of members' bags collected and it would only take a few minutes before the drawing starts to tally up the totals from each site. FODD could verify this total! I thought the simplest way to get the raffle tickets to each member was to hand them out as the bags came in. But if that is not going to be an option, I'm sure SailAway (Vicki) will help us and we will figure out a plan 'B'.

Now I'll be able to sleep tonight. :D

:ahhhhh: :driver: noooooooooooo, make it stop :dance: :laughoff::bs:

This is rediculous.

seriously, just have ONE person hanging out at the dumpster asking every person if their bags are from DDR peeps. You can even take turns so that person doesn't have to sit there for 3-4 hours. I'm sure the peeps from DDR that wanna have there bags added to the number count will already say "add these to the count list for DDR" ? There...reallly simple. You can still go drive trucks and trailers around the dunes with a few groups of trash collectors, but after seeing how last year's went I can gaurantee you that is gonna be a cluster fk trying to log trash bags. There's too many people and things going on for that to work.

Hmm...wait.... :blink: Maybe I'll be the guy at the dumpster counting bags, sitting under an EZ UP drinking a cold beverage. :DDRrocks: :icon_twisted: :think::blink:

OR as someone mentioned before we can just try and get a number count from everyone who shows up for the group photo at 11:30 AM near the event.

Ah, so many little details to work out... all part of the fun. :D

Who will hand out the tickets for the group bags? Dunno... will it be a DDR member? Could be. But more likely it will just be another cleanup volunteer, one of many we will have on hand. And only because that's why they'll be there... it's their job, don'tcha know.

One thing we will be doing is... as people are registering for the cleanup, getting their raffle tickets, empty bags, etc., we will also have a clipboard where organized groups will be signing up so that when we're in the heat of the moment we can more easily keep things at least a little more organized. Everyone who is working the registration area will be asking people as they sign up "are you hear with a group?" and if they say yes, they'll be directed to sign up.

The designated drop off spots for those group bags would most easily be right there at the dumpsters where there will be plenty of volunteers with raffle tickets on hand to help keep the numbers and tickets straight. And right now, as I'm heading to bed... that's about as clear as my mind can handle. :DDRrocks: All other details will have to wait for tomorrow.

Good night everyone.

Vicki

:ahhhhh: perfect...problem solved! :icon_twisted:

I just want to say...

We really appreciate the enthusiasm we are seeing for this cleanup, not just here and on other Dumont-related message boards, but in everyone we talk to.

The focus of the day is keeping Dumont open... through volunteer cleanup efforts, educating each other, and showing what a strong community we are.

It's all about duning and Dumont, so this is not a race where there is one winner. Dumont wins and the duners win and the BLM wins, whether it's 15 or 1500 bags of trash.

This will be a GREAT day!

Vicki

Is there going to be anything going on on Friday that we can do to be of any help? Maybe early sign ups to speed things up on Saturday morning?

Since this is my first time I have a question. Is it really hard to put a sticker on the bag with a name and hand the person a raffle ticket? Maybe a better idea would be to write a name and phone number on the back of the raffle ticket that we keep for the "kitty" maybe that would help with the honesty issue???? Like I have said, I am very willing to be at a collection site collecting bags, handing out tickets, etc. I am an extremely organized person when it comes to things like this. I manage an apartment complex full of college kids, so I have to be.

Just an additional note, I have 4 boxes of latex gloves, a few notebooks, stickers and some pens to donate.

I don't ride much so all I usually do is hang around camp so I am at your disposal for what ever you need.

Can't wait. I wish I had more vacation time so we could leave earlier than Thursday night.

Is there going to be anything going on on Friday that we can do to be of any help? Maybe early sign ups to speed things up on Saturday morning?

Since this is my first time I have a question. Is it really hard to put a sticker on the bag with a name and hand the person a raffle ticket? Maybe a better idea would be to write a name and phone number on the back of the raffle ticket that we keep for the "kitty" maybe that would help with the honesty issue???? Like I have said, I am very willing to be at a collection site collecting bags, handing out tickets, etc. I am an extremely organized person when it comes to things like this. I manage an apartment complex full of college kids, so I have to be.

Just an additional note, I have 4 boxes of latex gloves, a few notebooks, stickers and some pens to donate.

I don't ride much so all I usually do is hang around camp so I am at your disposal for what ever you need.

Can't wait. I wish I had more vacation time so we could leave earlier than Thursday night.

Thanks for volunteering! If you could be over at the clean up site before 8, say around 7:30 and ask for Vicki. She will get you set up and ready to help with the sign in's. Most people kind of meander in all morning. There is no starting gun and it is very mellow. Then about 11:30 everybody will meet at the clean up spot for a picture and count the tickets that each person has collected. Then Pete or his designee can proclaim the number to Vicki while we get the raffle started after lunch. It all flows together pretty well and is a lot of fun. We appreciate the help and support!

One more thing to bring is if your going to be picking up trash on a quad bring an old dish/ hand towel that you can put over your tank to protect the paint/decals, just make sure that it does not get to close to your pipe B) :thumbsdown::driver: