Dumont Cleanup Details- how it works...

dunefreak

So I have gotten a couple questions for the cleanup and how it all goes.

Here it is...

The BLM and FoDD get a huge dumpster out at Dumont. At 8AM on Saturday- you meet over at the FoDD booth. They get you signed up for the cleanup and give you trash bags etc.

From 8 till around 11 ish everyone picks up trash in the camp areas and dunes (wherever there istrash). After you pick up trash, you bring your bags to the dumpster where you will be given a raffle ticket for each bag of trash collected. All the raffle prizes will be displayed prior to the cleanup at the FoDD stage/ booth so everyone can see what is up for grabs. There is a can for the raffle tickets at each prize so you can enter to win whatever prize you are shooting for.

At 11:30 they start the raffle, announcements, awards, and free lunch. They give prizes for most unusual and largest items.

Any company that donated prizes are announced over the loud speaker throughout the raffle and events.

If anyone has any questions, please post them up here. Remember there are no stupid questions. We'd like for everyone to have a clear understanding how the cleanup works and what to expect so we can get as many peeps out there to help as possible.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent information!

They give prizes for most unusual and largest items.

Don't forget the prize for most number of bags turned in by an individual, and most number of bags turned in by a group. I've already received word that last year's group winner intends to walk away with the trophy again, by the way... just thought I'd mention that. :D

Oh, and we gave out t-shirts last year and will do so again this year, but get there early because they are given out on a first-come, first-served basis. When you sign up for the cleanup you'll get a "t-shirt ticket" along with one raffle ticket, an empty trash bag (or several, if you want them) and your lunch pass. T-shirts will be given out starting around 11:00.

Vicki

Excellent information!

Don't forget the prize for most number of bags turned in by an individual, and most number of bags turned in by a group. I've already received word that last year's group winner intends to walk away with the trophy again, by the way... just thought I'd mention that. :D

Oh, and we gave out t-shirts last year and will do so again this year, but get there early because they are given out on a first-come, first-served basis. When you sign up for the cleanup you'll get a "t-shirt ticket" along with one raffle ticket, an empty trash bag (or several, if you want them) and your lunch pass. T-shirts will be given out starting around 11:00.

Vicki

Sounds good. My company will be helping out :beercheers:

Excellent information!

Vicki

Thanks Vicki. I thought I might have forgotten something. :laughoff:

also..

I am going to try and figure out a system that is easier to track the number of bags that DDR collects this year. Last year was a mess. I was running all over the place trying to find everyone and add the number up in my head. :laughoff: Any suggestions or volunteers to help me out with that? :laughoff: We (DumontDuneRiders) need to be group that collects the most this year. :beercheers:

If it was me, I'd decide on a very specific spot where everyone in the group places their filled bags. Use a magic marker to number them maybe or just have someone "log them in" as they're dropped off (we'll work out a way for them to get the raffle tickets too). The pictures of the piles of bags would be great to see and you'd have an easy way to verify just how many bags you all did bring in. :D

Getting the pile of bags to the dumpsters is an easy enough task at the end of it all.

Vicki

Thanks Vicki. I thought I might have forgotten something. :laughoff:

also..

I am going to try and figure out a system that is easier to track the number of bags that DDR collects this year. Last year was a mess. I was running all over the place trying to find everyone and add the number up in my head. :laughoff: Any suggestions or volunteers to help me out with that? :laughoff: We (DumontDuneRiders) need to be group that collects the most this year. :beercheers:

If they get one ticket per bag, then just count the tickets?

yeah...just as hard. Everyone isn't in one spot at the same time :laughoff: You gotta track everyone down first! :beercheers:

I was thinking something along the lines of what you suggested, Vicki. :laughoff:

I think that's what was tried last year but as I remember a lot of the bags got missed or didn't get counted in with the other DDR bags.

And getting those tickets counted and then the numbers to the announcers gets a little hectic right at the height of the raffle prizes. :beercheers:

• 4 weeks later...

if you can multi-task.

I was just trying to find a picture from one of the cleanups years ago where the quad rider has a big ol' trash bag over him (it was raining) and another full trash bag balanced on the tank of his quad, coming in for yet another raffle ticket!

Vicki