TRT meeting, June 5th

NEXT TRT MEETING

June 5, 2007 10 AM

BLM Barstow Field Office Conference Room

2601 Barstow Road, Barstow, CA 92311

For more information call (760) 252-6000

I just thought I would post this info for the next TRT meeting. I doubt I can make it again due to my job requiring my presence :laughing: , but I'll see what I can do.

Hopefully we hear word about the "paved" road and "creek crossing to-be" if any plans are scheduled for work on them. :beerpint:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terry, Is there any way to schedule a TRT meeting on a saturday perhaps... I know there are quite a few of us who would love to go and attend and show our support but are limited by our schedules... That good ol catch 22 if i dont make a paycheck how can i help donate to support the dunes...

Terry, Is there any way to schedule a TRT meeting on a saturday perhaps... I know there are quite a few of us who would love to go and attend and show our support but are limited by our schedules... That good ol catch 22 if i dont make a paycheck how can i help donate to support the dunes...

Nick, I agree with you and Sanddemon (john) has bought the subject up before but we haven't had any luck with it. I guess BLM employees want their weekends off and the office doesn't want to pay O/T to them. We will continue to attempt to get them to be flexible on it. I will keep you informed.

Here is the agenda for the June 5th TRT meeting:

Agenda for June 5, 2007

Barstow Field Office

10:00 am.

Call To Order

Pledge

Introductions

Approval of the Agenda

Approval of the Minutes from the April 7, 2007 meeting

Lunch decision – pizza or sandwiches (Bring $8.00 cash)?

Discussion Items:

Funding short fall for Dumont Dunes

Fee increase structure - Projected income/Projected expenses

Vendor Location at the Dumont Dunes

Supplemental Rules – Camping areas defined?

Updates:

Dumont Dunes Road (Roxie)

Community Discussions about the Dunes (Roxie)

Members Items

Adjournment

We will work through lunch.

I was able to attend the meeting yesterday. Many discussions on all the topics listed. Most interesting to me was the lady in Tecopa and her issues with OHV's in general and the highway noise. Terry did a good job of explaining what he learned after talking with her. All I will say, she has an agenda. :stick_smack:

The issue of trash on the ground remains. And especially those bags found on Hwy 127 both ways. I asked about doing a "public awareness campaign" on the way in and out. I offered up a plan for 3 temporary signs to be installed that could show a quick & short message, like those of the old Burma Shave ad's. I brought a sample sign with me. A message like "Pack It In - Pack It Out", or "15mph by ALL camps" might really help. I will have to wait until the road is completed, then maybe.

The road is going to be done over the summer and to be ready by October, bids going out real soon. The extension of the concrete pad driveway will start soon too, the river is almost dry. :D

I was able to attend the meeting yesterday. Many discussions on all the topics listed. Most interesting to me was the lady in Tecopa and her issues with OHV's in general and the highway noise. Terry did a good job of explaining what he learned after talking with her. All I will say, she has an agenda. :bs:

The issue of trash on the ground remains. And especially those bags found on Hwy 127 both ways. I asked about doing a "public awareness campaign" on the way in and out. I offered up a plan for 3 temporary signs to be installed that could show a quick & short message, like those of the old Burma Shave ad's. I brought a sample sign with me. A message like "Pack It In - Pack It Out", or "15mph by ALL camps" might really help. I will have to wait until the road is completed, then maybe.

The road is going to be done over the summer and to be ready by October, bids going out real soon. The extension of the concrete pad driveway will start soon too, the river is almost dry. :D

Thanks for the update, Jim. :stick_smack:

Thats good to hear that that are planning to finish the road correctly. :flipoff:

Thanks for the update Jim, the road will be done by October 1st and is out to bid to grade, roll and add chemical to the brew. The concrete will be done as soon as the river dries up. Aparently they are still seeing some water above it but it is fading fast.

The other items of interest are the talk of moving the Vendors to Rock Pile hill to get them out of the bottle neck by the fingers and to make access to them safer and easier as the terrain is firmer over there.

We are also talking about reducing the speed limit to 25mph on the flats period. It will not matter if you are near a camp or not. The Friends of Dumont Dunes are doing some preliminary map work on this but I am sure just about all the flats will be speed enforced. We have asked the LEO to strictly enforce these rules once they are in place. I would like to see some input on this item. I know alot of folks are going to be pissed that there is another law in place but honestly the camp racing/safety issue is the most common complaint that we are hearing, so let me know your thoughts on this.

Next meeting is August 21st at 10:00 AM in Barstow.

Thanks for the update Jim, the road will be done by October 1st and is out to bid to grade, roll and add chemical to the brew. The concrete will be done as soon as the river dries up. Aparently they are still seeing some water above it but it is fading fast.

The other items of interest are the talk of moving the Vendors to Rock Pile hill to get them out of the bottle neck by the fingers and to make access to them safer and easier as the terrain is firmer over there.

We are also talking about reducing the speed limit to 25mph on the flats period. It will not matter if you are near a camp or not. The Friends of Dumont Dunes are doing some preliminary map work on this but I am sure just about all the flats will be speed enforced. We have asked the LEO to strictly enforce these rules once they are in place. I would like to see some input on this item. I know alot of folks are going to be pissed that there is another law in place but honestly the camp racing/safety issue is the most common complaint that we are hearing, so let me know your thoughts on this.

Next meeting is August 21st at 10:00 AM in Barstow.

Moving vendor row might be a good idea. That seems like a dangerous area on big weekends.

As for the speed limit on ALL the flats. Do you mean even the back stretch in the back of the dunes? I am all about safety, but if we can't even go 25 mph through the whoops to comp or at the base of the face hills they are gonna see alot of higher speeds than 25mph when I don't stop :stick_smack: for them to ticket me. :flipoff:

:no_no:

ok, you stop and get ticket for that bullsh*t then. I'm not. :flipoff::flipoff:

Hey...I've tried to play nice in the past by cooperating. I personally and firmly believe the BLM wants Dumont shut down. That's another topic in itself though. :ninja::stick_smack::bs:

Moving vendor row might be a good idea. That seems like a dangerous area on big weekends.

As for the speed limit on ALL the flats. Do you mean even the back stretch in the back of the dunes? I am all about safety, but if we can't even go 25 mph through the whoops to comp or at the base of the face hills they are gonna see alot of higher speeds than 25mph when I don't stop :stick_smack: for them to ticket me. :flipoff:

No I am thinking of the actual camping area in front of the dunes on the north side of Comp road. If you camp in the fingers I can't see you duning and having to slow a train of duners cause your in the flats. So I suppose their would be kind of an angled line from the rock pile to the first finger then north along the face of the dunes but back from the actual dunes. Then if your a camper that believes this is good and want to camp in the enforced area then you move if your a normal finger camper. But with the enforcement comes it's own headaches, IE doing a quick high speed run after working on a bike, it is not without enforcement problems thats for sure.

I believe they will really heavily enforce on the big weekends and as necessary on the lighter ones.

How are they going to inforce that?

Next they will have speed limits going up Comp. :flipoff:

My son was talking to some LEO's last week at his kids school carnaival in Victorville and they told him they are getting unmarked :stick_smack: vehicals to use at Dumont this next season. The LEO's are looking at a Durango and a lifted truck. They said they are going to really crack down on DUI's, Sobe Bombs and Fireworks.

If you don't want the speed limit controlled then that's fine just let me know and I will back of the suggestion. However don't be bitchen about the kid running full blast past your camp either. I don't really want any more rules out there but with the increase of people using the dunes it's just a matter of time before something bad/stupid happens.

There is already a speed limit and it does not a fcking thing!!!! :laughoff:

The rangers will just watch as people speed by just like they have for the last couple of years :laughoff:

Rangers need to be stationed at the exit from comp to the flats at that little hill on your right as your coming back(so you have plenty of room to slow down coming off the whoops) and at the last finger dune.

Also the river doesnt get any drier!!!!

Edited by sanddunesaddict

The meeting was pretty good this week, alot of stuff discussed and already mentioned. They are talking about a speed limit in the entire camp area, flats, not passed that point going into the dunes. I think the rule is already there, it just needs to be enforced. Like this weekend coming up, if we wanted to speed out to the dunes in the flats, even though no one else will be there, we would be breaking the law, because it's now in the camping area. I say just enforce what is already in place. Passes are still up in the air on how there going to make them available, BLM is supposed to make up a proposal and pass it around the TRT and get feedback. Of course they will still be available at the BLM office and you can get them by phone still. The trash is a big thing for the hardball, I really don't see alot of it going toward Baker when I'm leaving on any weekend. Just need to make sure we get the word out to make sure your trash is secure when you leave so it can't blow out of your truck bed. I'm sure there's some more stuff, but I've been on the range all week long. I went straight back out after the meeting, Looking forward to a good ride this weekend...Semper Fi, Woody

at minimum i think there is a need for a few new signs i know there are some on the way in (no pallets fireworks)

maybe a new one near the pay station with just a few big points- trash, speed, rebar.

and one on the way out that says be safe, secure your load-trash, no tank dumping on the road.

i know it is not alot but signs on the road are your first chance and last chance to push the message. and signs are on the cheap end of a budget.

about the speed limit in camp areas- i think if they were hard line about the current rules the first month and on the bigger weekends the word would get around. kind of the way we all know there isnt much chance of getting stopped for speeding now!

Nick, I agree with you and Sanddemon (john) has bought the subject up before but we haven't had any luck with it. I guess BLM employees want their weekends off and the office doesn't want to pay O/T to them. We will continue to attempt to get them to be flexible on it. I will keep you informed.

I wouldnt want to force them into EVERY meeting but say one meeting every 3 - 6 months scheduled on a saturday to give the other half of the crowd who cant make it during the week a chance to speak up.

Somewhere in my fuzzy brain (sorry, but I'm heading to Idaho in a week and am almost on vacation mode already) I seem to recall that this TRT is somewhat "below" the California Desert District Advisory Council (DAC). I could be wrong on the actual food chain, but at the very least since Dumont is in the California Desert District, the DAC has the power to make suggestions to the Barstow BLM.

My point is... petition the DAC to get the Barstow BLM to set a TRT meeting up for a Saturday and maybe the added pressure would get it done.

My suggestion would be to have it be the TRT meeting that takes place just prior to the start of the season since attendance would drop after the season begins.

Vicki