Toyota Tacoma

I am looking for some advice on a buying a Toyota Tacoma. I know what I want except for 1 thing...2 wheel drive or 4X4. I am looking to buy a 2000 Tacoma Extended Cab, but prerunner TRD or 4x4 :ahhhhh: . Obviously the truck will be used to haul my quad to Dumont, but that is about as much offroad as it is going to see. I am having a difficult time finding a 4x4, so I am wondering if I could manage with the Prerunner TRD 2wd which is set up to offroad and the reviews seem pretty favorable. Of course I cant take both out to the dirt and compare for myself, so maybe you guys can give me some information. :laughoff:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get 4x4. you just never know, and people get stuck at dumont as well...

4x4 is hard to find and more $, so if the 2wd TRD would perform similiar I wouldn't mind it. Yes, my preference is 4x4 but I need some more info...pros vs. cons kinda things :thumb: . I know all about people getting stuck at Dumont, I usually drive a hyundai out there :thumb: .

If your not going to take it through the dunes climbing , 2wd with a locker would be fine

I won't be duning it or even taking it out of camp, that is 1 reason I am even considering the Prerunner TRD which is equipped with a locking rear differential. Thanks :D

if you cant find the 4x4 buy a 2 wheel drive buy a good tow strap and learn to drive on the sand. remember airing your tires down makes a big difference, dont turn too tight and watch for the soft stuff...

I have found 1 of each that I am interested in and they are both about the same price. I have already checked my insurance also and the 4x4 wouldn't be much more than I am paying for my car.

Here are the differences... the 4x4/ /...and the Prerunner TRD

3.4L V6 ENGINE, 5spd MANUAL TRANSMISSION/ /3.4L V6 ENGINE, AUTO

TOW PACKAGE/ /No tow package

112k MILES/ /151K MILES

MANUAL WINDOWS AND LOCKS/ / POWER WINDOWS AND LOCKS

No bed liner/ /BED LINER

NEW TIRES AND BRAKES/ /ALLOY TIRES

CUSTOM GRILLE /Stock

4" ROUGH COUNTRY LIFT KIT W/OFFROAD TIRES/ /Stock Prerunner lift

(KBB Value $8,720-9,455) Asking $9800 / / (KBB Value $8,065-8,795) Asking $9300

Both are private sales in San Diego and both have said to make offers. The guy with the 2wd seems a little more willing to lower the price, he said he listed it high to see what he could get and is just looking for a reasonable deal. The guy with the 4x4 thinks with the lift kit it is worth $1200 over KBB and simply said make an offer.

Anyone have any opinions on a reasonable price to offer? :laughoff:

Edited by Foxysandchick

I have found 1 of each that I am interested in and they are both about the same price. I have already checked my insurance also and the 4x4 wouldn't be much more than I am paying for my car.

Here are the differences... the 4x4/ /...and the Prerunner TRD

3.4L V6 ENGINE, 5spd MANUAL TRANSMISSION/ /3.4L V6 ENGINE, AUTO

TOW PACKAGE/ /No tow package

112k MILES/ /151K MILES

MANUAL WINDOWS AND LOCKS/ / POWER WINDOWS AND LOCKS

No bed liner/ /BED LINER

NEW TIRES AND BRAKES/ /ALLOY TIRES

CUSTOM GRILLE /Stock

4" ROUGH COUNTRY LIFT KIT W/OFFROAD TIRES/ /Stock Prerunner lift

(KBB Value $8,720-9,455) Asking $9800 / / (KBB Value $8,065-8,795) Asking $9300

Both are private sales in San Diego and both have said to make offers. The guy with the 2wd seems a little more willing to lower the price, he said he listed it high to see what he could get and is just looking for a reasonable deal. The guy with the 4x4 thinks with the lift kit it is worth $1200 over KBB and simply said make an offer.

Anyone have any opinions on a reasonable price to offer? :laughoff:

i am getting lazy and would rather have an automatic, but then there are some benefits to the 4X4. Also I hate manual windows even if the cab is not the big and you can reach across. The only thing that gets me about the auto is the miles, but Toyota's can run forever and if this is a cali truck then it could be all freeway and highway miles for the most part.

KBB is old and outdated...the dealers only use the #'s in it any more for reference points...but everything is usually way below KBB

look at the wholesale price of the vehicles.......get in the middle of what they are asking and wholesale...and bargain from there.

i think you might be able to find a better deal @ a toyota lot, and maybe even get a toyota certified vehicle???

btw...if all youre going to is dumont, and you hang out in the flats...then the 2wd will do just fine

I had a 1999 trd 4x4 ext cab w/ manual 5 sp....that thing fuggin rocked... i duned it all over pismo dunes with no problems

:laughoff:

Thanks for all the info :D .

I have tried just about every toyota dealer in town and all the lots they are associated with and have not found anything that I want, they all seem to have newer models which honestly I can not afford at the moment. I was trying to trade my car in also, but now can't find anything at a dealer so I will just end up selling it myself. Also it seems that since I am going with my own financing the dealers are not willing to work with me and they know the toyota will sell itself anyway.

I will check wholesale prices and see how those look to reference my offer.

The guy with the 2wd said he used it to haul a dirt bike to Glamis and never had a problem :laughoff: .

Both vehicle have high miles which are mostly highway due to being in Cali, so not a huge concern.

I use to work for a car dealer many moons ago and they would take wholesale and go about 1500 below that for a trade in value (ballpark). Part of the reason most do not keep a tradein more that 45 days before they whole sale it, and the will not get KBB wholesale value there.

are you willing to drive a little to save some cash?

what are the laws in NV like for bringing a car from CA in?

use the internet to find your vehicle. that is how I found my wife's tahoe...right before I was gonna fly out to denver to pick up a toyota sequoia.

drove about 100 miles, and saved 3000 dollars over the dealer here in town.

good luck

I agree with going 2wd if all you are going to do is haul your quad out to dumont and stay on the flats. 4wd is more money,worse gas mileage, and more maintenance. I have an 89 toyota 4x4 and very very rarely do I use the 4wd. It pretty much goes anywhere I need it to in 2wd. Hell buy mine. Its an 89 yes, But its only got 25,000 miles.

use the internet to find your vehicle. that is how I found my wife's tahoe...right before I was gonna fly out to denver to pick up a toyota sequoia.

good luck

I believe to register in nevada if it has another states title ,it needs a dmv inspection.

good luck

Yes, the 2 trucks I am interested in are in San Diego and I live in Vegas. I have searched in Utah, Arizona, Cali and NV for about 6 months.

Title, moving permit to drive it here, Smog, DMV inspection.

I have been searching the internet and dealers. Found it seems easier to buy through a private person and deal with my own car later.

Thanks for the help.

I agree with going 2wd if all you are going to do is haul your quad out to dumont and stay on the flats. 4wd is more money,worse gas mileage, and more maintenance. I have an 89 toyota 4x4 and very very rarely do I use the 4wd. It pretty much goes anywhere I need it to in 2wd. Hell buy mine. Its an 89 yes, But its only got 25,000 miles.

You mentioned that before, but I dont think my bank would finance an 89 and I have to at least have an extended cab for my dog. :(

Well the 4X4 has sold, so I am going to the bank on Monday to try to get the Prerunner. :praying: If all goes in my favor with the bank and the seller then I will have my own truck by next weekend :old:

Good luck Kristin, that is a sharp looking truck. :laughoff: