Rails

barneycar

Ok here goes went to the SSSS yesterday. Had a blast. But as a builder and a buyer what the heck all the cars look the same !!!!! some have a small differance look but for the most part they are the same.

what do you think???????

I now I'm going to get it for this but lets have it :thumb:

no your right. i just posted the same thing in buggy chicks thread. the trend is twords bigger tires, thats about it. a few small innovations like the electric paddle shift for the sequentials . but no tellin if it is truly perfected yet. they have been trying since 05 to get that right, and at 2200 dollars, hardly affordable for what it is.

same cars just bigger shocks and bigger tires. like i said monster trucks will be next..................................

i wanst overly impressed with the cars there beautifel and impressive but they all look the same for the last 2 years.

figerglass body parts are looking good the dual sport thing seemed to be the big deal

that windshield will get dust and dirt from the inside as well as outside . the dust ball inside interior seems like it would be harder to dissapate. being held by that window. there getting heavier and heavier. it seems pointless. wait till they start sticking those behemoths . :thumb:

Edited by barefoot bob

Lots of nice cars but if I wanted something as big and expensive as some of those dual sports, why not just go down to your local Dodge/Chevy/Ford/Toyota dealer and get a new 4X4 truck and just prerun it. It would be alot less expensive that way.

Lots of nice cars but if I wanted something as big and expensive as some of those dual sports, why not just go down to your local Dodge/Chevy/Ford/Toyota dealer and get a new 4X4 truck and just prerun it. It would be alot less expensive that way.

exactly :lol: and then you would have ac and beverage holders !!!

personally i have a jeep for that stuff :thumb:

Barney, I agree. A lot of them do look like the same. at least from 10 feet back.

Your cars have a distinctive look for sure. good job with your original design. :laughoff:

-------------------------------------

The cars:

We all have seen the cars gettin' bigger and bigger.

Personally I think that takes away the fun of the "sandrail" feel. :ban-split:

The sand is only so heavy and dense.

Funny, I was talking to Nannette @ Short Sand Cars about this and Pete's car too. :laughoff:

The paddle shifters:

I think these would also take away from the "sandrail" feel. :laughoff:

I personally like the H pattern. I always know if it went into gear and exactly which gear it's in.

It helps that my car shifts super easy. :D

In both cases above,

The technology and innovation are way awesome. :laughoff:

The direction of all this expensive stuff is perfect for some of the duners out there,

but not for me. :laughoff:

R-

I personally have a very hard time digesting the fact of how much some of these cars are costing today. It just simply blows my mind :laughoff: I could not see spending over 50 or 60k for a toy that goes in the dirt. For those that do have that luxury of buying one of those bad to the bone rides, I congratulate them, it's just not for me. I look at it this way, I built my car, I'm into it for about 20k, and I can go anywhere those more expensive cars can go, and I have just as much fun doing it!! :laughoff::laughoff::ban-split:

Yep I agree, barneycar. So many of the cars at the show were so close in designs that they looked like they could have been the same builder with just a different name slapped on them.

I saw 2 other types of minirails that looked like direct copies of Short Sand Cars. They had the exact same suspension geometry, frame design including cross braces, etc. :ban-split:

Happyhour, I agree as well.

I understand why some of these companies feel like they need to "out do" the competition with bringing it to a rediculous level for the show factor, but when it really comes down to it....are they really gonna sell that crap? Who has that kind of money? If these companies started building more affordable sandrails that are just real plain and simple for less money, I think they'd get alot more customers. There is no reason you have to spend $75,000 or whatever on a sandrail. The fun factor is usally the same with a less expensive car that dunes just as well.

I personally have a very hard time digesting the fact of how much some of these cars are costing today. It just simply blows my mind :laughoff: I could not see spending over 50 or 60k for a toy that goes in the dirt. For those that do have that luxury of buying one of those bad to the bone rides, I congratulate them, it's just not for me. I look at it this way, I built my car, I'm into it for about 20k, and I can go anywhere those more expensive cars can go, and I have just as much fun doing it!! :laughoff::laughoff::ban-split:

I agree with you on that as well. I also think that you get alittle more of a sense of accomplishment when you build it yourself. You get to have just as much fun. Yeah those cars are nice and someday I will probably get one or build one, who knows. I didn't take a whole lot of pics of the cars at the show, cause yeah they really did look the same, with different paint themes. I almost felt like if you saw one, you've seen them all.

And just to be differant, I kinda liked those dual sports.

Yep I agree, barneycar. So many of the cars at the show were so close in designs that they looked like they could have been the same builder with just a different name slapped on them.

I saw 2 other types of minirails that looked like direct copies of Short Sand Cars. They had the exact same suspension geometry, frame design including cross braces, etc. :ban-split:

Happyhour, I agree as well.

I understand why some of these companies feel like they need to "out do" the competition with bringing it to a rediculous level for the show factor, but when it really comes down to it....are they really gonna sell that crap? Who has that kind of money? If these companies started building more affordable sandrails that are just real plain and simple for less money, I think they'd get alot more customers. There is no reason you have to spend $75,000 or whatever on a sandrail. The fun factor is usally the same with a less expensive car that dunes just as well.

i also agree with pete alot of lt cars bought by common folks they took a second mortgage or refi to buy it.

and i believe it was a large part of there bussines. you would think they would work on . more affordable models. some are and they will probably survive. but those refi buyers are very slim now. :laughoff:

we came in the side gate at the ssss next to the swap meet and the first car we saw was tiltedto the right with large boxes under the left wheels and it had a stearo in it that had to cost 20 grand. to me that is not bugging that is a car rolling down the street. paint with a 10 or 20 grand paint job lets face it its not going out to play in the sand its a camp racer like all the others. but its not useful.

I have a very good job and yes I could buy one of the cars at the show but why I have a big azz garage and can build them my shelf and get more out of it than just look at me MR. BIGBUCKS. I now my car and its limites and I trust my weld as I have had to have them certafided many a time for work.As of right now Barney is sitting not running as I used some parts on the new car and hope to get it running soon.

I like the old saing kiss [keep it simple stuiped ]

and DDR rocks :thumb:

we came in the side gate at the ssss next to the swap meet and the first car we saw was tiltedto the right with large boxes under the left wheels and it had a stearo in it that had to cost 20 grand. to me that is not bugging that is a car rolling down the street. paint with a 10 or 20 grand paint job lets face it its not going out to play in the sand its a camp racer like all the others. but its not useful.

I have a very good job and yes I could buy one of the cars at the show but why I have a big azz garage and can build them my shelf and get more out of it than just look at me MR. BIGBUCKS. I now my car and its limites and I trust my weld as I have had to have them certafided many a time for work.As of right now Barney is sitting not running as I used some parts on the new car and hope to get it running soon.

I like the old saing kiss [keep it simple stuiped ]

and DDR rocks :thumb:

This one?

SSSS_(136).JPG

Well I agree. I don't need all that either, but... to each their own. Maybe the dude loves duning and listening to music. :thumbsdown: Maybe he loves the "woopity dooo looky at meeee" attention. :thumbsdown: Who knows? :beercheers:

There was also the car that monsterman posted about that had a crazy azz stereo in it too....

SSSS_(53).JPG

dual_sport_024.jpg

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/invision/i...ost&p=89940

yep thats the car. the only use for that car after it is finished would be to bother the hell out of other people.

how long do you think the battries will last with it cranking full blastor before the sand killes the stero and the amps?

Edited by barneycar

yep thats the car. the only use for that car after it is finished would be to bother the hell out of other people.

how long do you think the battries will last with it cranking full blastor before the sand killes the stero and the amps?

my buddie james with the red car fabricates and we were looking it over and he saw that bypass :freakin_nuts: