Anybody else have this problem or concern about Dumont rules

Gotta vent a little so here goes.

Just wondering if anybody else feels this way and what we can do.

This last weekend (Halloween weekend) I had some major problems with stuff that happened out there. Now I know the rangers/leo's have a lot going on and are very busy but I just don't understand some things.

1. I thought they were going to enforce the no staking off the finger dunes. There were still quite a few camps that did this. I did notice that some people just used cones and caution tape which in my mind is still unacceptable but my opinion only but there were still a lot of staking going on. Like I said I know the rangers are busy but this was up all weekend so they could have done or said something to these people.

2. Camp/flat area racing was way out of hand this weekend and nothing done. We ended up a little close to the main road going to comp hill then usual but we dealt with it. I know people are excited but 40-60 mph past us sometimes doing wheelies is crazy. We had our camp coned off around us and when we would go to leave camp it was like trying to pull out onto 15. Several of us almost got hit just inching out from the camp. The worst thing is we saw rangers sitting there watching these people and doing nothing. Just parked for 30 mins to an hour just watching. We even had somebody go talk to the rangers about controlling the area a little better and they did nothing.

Now I don't normal b!tch about these things but we had a fellow camper 2 weeks ago get pulled over out at comp hill who hopped in his rhino and drove about 50 feet away about 3 mph and his passenger had an open beer. Leo pulled him over and gave them a open container ticket. almost got a seatbelt ticket too. While they were sitting there with leo a quad drives by with 2 people and no helmets and my buddy was like your giving me a ticket and letting them go and he did. Now I know technically he did break the law but He was not doing anything crazy or stupid. I feel like they are being harsh on simple easy things to give tickets on but letting the big stuff go.

They said they are going to start pulling people over for no seatbelt and you get a ticket like a car. This is getting ridiculous. I thought we were offroad??

It just seems like the speeders are too much work to go after so we'll get the easy ones.

Like I said before I know they are busy but this stuff is right in front of thier face.

Just my opinion but I think the 3 biggest problems they need to work on is:

1. Camp racers

2. Staking the finger dunes

3. people leaving trash ( I pulled up there Thur @3pm and there was a whole camp that left all thier

garbage around the fire from the weekend before I guess that we picked up)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

other notes

the film crew was running up and down the isles of comp sat night filming these a$$ hats are lighting fires across the road.

some idiot is out there in a mask with his shirt off if he liked your ride he would give you a thumbs up if he didnt he was cussing and talking sh*t at them

they turned that camera on me and mrs kllm we told them its only water and held up our bottles his reply : i dont care"

you could tell by there actions they there strictly to hunt for trouble for film

vicky you really should bring up those issues at the trt as they were running around in ranger vehicles and san bernardino county sheriffs side by sides :dunno:

other notes

the film crew was running up and down the isles of comp sat night filming these a$$ hats are lighting fires across the road.

you could tell by there actions they there strictly to hunt for trouble for film

vicky you really should bring up those issues at the trt as they were running around in ranger vehicles and san bernardino county sheriffs side by sides :dunno:

yea...time they could have spent taking care of real problems

other notes

some idiot is out there in a mask with his shirt off if he liked your ride he would give you a thumbs up if he didnt he was cussing and talking sh*t at them

they turned that camera on me and mrs kllm we told them its only water and held up our bottles his reply : i dont care"

If you remember there was a post about a craigslist ad looking for a buggy driver to follow san Bernadino SO around. They must not have found a car so they applied and got a film permit and rode with the SO.

This is Halloween normal activity which I am sad to say is getting worse.

I did not go to comp hill at all this weekend for these and other reasons. My feeling is that they are show offs and if you watch it makes you part of the problem. My personal thoughts sorry if you do not agree.

I don't really think the problem is getting worse. This isn't news. It used to really get to me, but there isn't much you can do. The leos MAY be able to enforce it a little better, but it is normal activity for a holiday weekend. Ever since we started talking and complaining about it on this board is when it started making me furious when I go out there and see it. I have learned to not let it bug me anymore. When I see it I just shake my head :dope: , drink my beer :lol: and say "God, I love Dumont" :banghead: . Unfortunatley you can't change some people's behavior. Not trying to sound like a jerk, but if it makes you that mad, I'd suggest just trying the off weekends from now on. :dunno:

Yeah, I'm 95% sure this was CourtTV filming a segment of something they call "Party Police" and I personally think it was irresponsible for them to be out there on this weekend.

It sounds like they got what they were looking for, and I'm sure the show will turn out looking like we're all a bunch of backward jackasses.

Bad because of the faction that wants to shut us down adding this to their kindling, bad because of the families who will see it and may now think Dumont is NO place they want to be and bad because it will be one more excuse for a legislator who won't touch us with a 10-foot pole.

What's good? Well, until this all came up I'd never heard of "party police" and we can always hope it disappears into obscurity like so many other un-watched shows.

VickiW

Gotta vent a little so here goes.

This last weekend (Halloween weekend) I had some major problems with stuff that happened out there. Now I know the rangers/leo's have a lot going on and are very busy but I just don't understand some things.

1. I thought they were going to enforce the no staking off the finger dunes. There were still quite a few camps that did this. I did notice that some people just used cones and caution tape which in my mind is still unacceptable but my opinion only but there were still a lot of staking going on. Like I said I know the rangers are busy but this was up all weekend so they could have done or said something to these people.

2. Camp/flat area racing was way out of hand this weekend and nothing done. We ended up a little close to the main road going to comp hill then usual but we dealt with it. I know people are excited but 40-60 mph past us sometimes doing wheelies is crazy. We had our camp coned off around us and when we would go to leave camp it was like trying to pull out onto 15. Several of us almost got hit just inching out from the camp. The worst thing is we saw rangers sitting there watching these people and doing nothing. Just parked for 30 mins to an hour just watching. We even had somebody go talk to the rangers about controlling the area a little better and they did nothing.

Now I don't normal b!tch about these things but we had a fellow camper 2 weeks ago get pulled over out at comp hill who hopped in his rhino and drove about 50 feet away about 3 mph and his passenger had an open beer. Leo pulled him over and gave them a open container ticket. almost got a seatbelt ticket too. While they were sitting there with leo a quad drives by with 2 people and no helmets and my buddy was like your giving me a ticket and letting them go and he did. Now I know technically he did break the law but He was not doing anything crazy or stupid. I feel like they are being harsh on simple easy things to give tickets on but letting the big stuff go.

They said they are going to start pulling people over for no seatbelt and you get a ticket like a car. This is getting ridiculous. I thought we were offroad??

It just seems like the speeders are too much work to go after so we'll get the easy ones.

Like I said before I know they are busy but this stuff is right in front of thier face.

Just my opinion but I think the 3 biggest problems they need to work on is:

1. Camp racers

2. Staking the finger dunes

3. people leaving trash ( I pulled up there Thur @3pm and there was a whole camp that left all thier

garbage around the fire from the weekend before I guess that we picked up)

I will address these as best I can. I have talked to the head LEO at BLM about these issues and more but this is the condensed version.

1) camp racers are a problem in the fact that the LEO's have to actually catch them, so do they turn on their lights and sirens and go 80 MPH past the camps to try to catch them and then what if someone pulls out in front of the ranger in pursuit? The lawyer will ask if the officers actions were prudent and that would be a tuff one to defend ranger says : I was trying to stop a camp racer who might have killed someone" to which the attny would respond that" well he didn't but you did" The liability issue is huge and then what if the guys are on 2 wheelers or fast buggies or quads and run off into the dunes, do you put a ranger at risk in a high speed pursuit for a misdemanor ticket? The truth is they do what they can but it is impossible to stop it all and the only way to stop more of it is there prescence and education.

2) Staking the dunes has been addressed and I believe the law has been requested but has to run thru federal channels before it goes into the federal registry and becomes law. Best advice I can tell you is don't go on them and take an unneccassary risk.

3)Trash is my big issue, I left camp in my rhino to go to see Pete and almost ran over a all glass firepit. I went back to camp and got a garbage bag and filled it with beer bottles(broken o course) 3 bottles of grey goose vodka and other assorted glas and aluim products. Just when I thought I had it all I would find another row buried in the sand. It took a concious effort to do this and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

One of the campers I camped with walked our camp just prior to all of us leaving and found 2 pieces of paper that blew in. Everybody as far as I know picked up at least 1 bag of junk lying around that wasn't there's.

Is there a way to fix it well I hope so but education is the key but try to talk to some of these azzhats about the "right" thing to do and see what the reaction to you is. That is why if we are not careful we will lose the ability to go there.

I don't mean to be long winded but you cannot depend on the Goverment to fix all the issues it will never happen. We as Duners have to help with this and it takes volunteering and joining in this case FoDD and getting involved.

I am sick of the fix the problems so I can ride but don't bother me with how you do it just do it and leave me alone. That isn't going to happen so GET INVOLVED!

I am sick of the fix the problems so I can ride but don't bother me with how you do it just do it and leave me alone. That isn't going to happen so GET INVOLVED!

Amen to that :banghead:

That is the attitude I have seen all along with most people these days. Although I don't see many people doing too much as far as getting involved, I am still gonna try to do my part any way I can to help the situation....as well as not let it get to me anymore. :lol::dunno:

For example:

-Try and attend some of the TRT meetings

-continue to pick up trash left behind by others and encourage people to get in the mind set of "Pack it in, Pack it out"

-help FoDD anyway I can with membership drives, e-mails, ect- whatever they need

-inform the BLM whenever people are blatently violating the rules

-help out and promote the annual FoDD Dumont cleanup

-educate as many people as possible about the RULES! <--that is the most important one right there. Alot of people don't even know about the rules regarding rebar/stakes, speeding in camp, etc. :dope:

I don't really think the problem is getting worse. This isn't news. It used to really get to me, but there isn't much you can do. The leos MAY be able to enforce it a little better, but it is normal activity for a holiday weekend. Ever since we started talking and complaining about it on this board is when it started making me furious when I go out there and see it. I have learned to not let it bug me anymore. When I see it I just shake my head :banghead: , drink my beer :dope: and say "God, I love Dumont" :blink: . Unfortunatley you can't change some people's behavior. Not trying to sound like a jerk, but if it makes you that mad, I'd suggest just trying the off weekends from now on. :lol:

I know what your saying pete. But not go out on a holiday weekend..NEVER!!!..we go out about every 2 weeks but never miss a holiday. I usually don't complain but when our buddy got a ticket for something so dumb it pissed me off. My honest opinion is I wish there were no leo's and we could just go have fun like it used to be but I know it will never be like that again with so many people. And I'm not really mad....love the crowds and parties, just sometimes feel like we are wasting time and money on leo's.

Can't wait till t-day :dunno:

p.s. just bored sitting at home sick today so just wasting time

Edited by YamaKiller

I know what your saying pete. But not go out on a holiday weekend..NEVER!!!..we go out about every 2 weeks but never miss a holiday. I usually don't complain but when our buddy got a ticket for something so dumb it pissed me off. My honest opinion is I wish there were no leo's and we could just go have fun like it used to be but I know it will never be like that again with so many people. And I'm not really mad....love the crowds and parties, just sometimes feel like we are wasting time and money on leo's.

Can't wait till t-day :dunno:

Oh you don't have to tell me about getting tickets for some really stupid chit and then watching all these a$$ses haul a$$ pass camp, climb steep dunes with their daily drivers, drive & ride drunk as hell, leave all kinds of trash in camp, etc.....AND THEN GET AWAY WITH IT. :rant_on: :rant_on: ::::big breath::::....ok ok, I feel better now. :lol: I know the feeling all too well. You just have to try and be on extra cool behavior out there on holidays because the LEOs have alot of idiots to deal with and they don't seem to have the patience to figure who they are. So ya just gotta be cool. :dope:

I did not know you cant stake off the fingers. We have always staked off part of a finger for the kids and did not know it wasn't allowed. I am not looking to start crap here but what is the problem with doing that? We have a camp of 4-5 trailers/motorhame with quite a few little ones and just triing to keep em safe. I sure you guys will have some reasons whiy its not allowed...probably stuff I don't know about.

Also what are the meeting you guys are referring to?? Are they something anybody can attend??

2. Camp/flat area racing was way out of hand this weekend and nothing done.

We had issues with the camp racers this past weekend also, and we camp waaaaay far away from the normally high-traffic areas!! A friend in our camp was awakened by a rail (1:00 a.m.) speeding behind his motorhome, said he looked out his window and the guy had to have been a foot away from his rig. To make matters worse, there was a truck in pursuit hauling a flatbed trailer that blew by right after him. When he says a foot, I believe him 'cause his rig was on the backside of our circle, literally parked on the brim of the bluffs. We witnessed many a quad and bike fly by and most of them were definately within the 50ft. range!

What can we do?!? Take it into our own hands when feasible. Late Sat. afternoon we had these two guys roll up in a Razor. They calmly walked into our camp and right over to these teeny-boppers in a red Rhino that came by to visit with our niece, thankfully NOT camping with us! They spoke directly to the girls, never shouting or cursing, then turned to leave. They explained to us that the girls had blew through their camp doin' about 40 and that the driver attempted to turn one direction while looking in the opposite direction. They explained to them the danger in their behavior and hoped that they would learn from this. Come to find out, they were from ynot's camp! :dunno: to those 2 guys for taking matters into their own hands and doing it in such an adult and mature manner!! :D

Edited by dinicolady

other notes

vicky you really should bring up those issues at the trt as they were running around in ranger vehicles and san bernardino county sheriffs side by sides :dope:

Yeah, I'm 95% sure this was CourtTV filming a segment of something they call "Party Police" and I personally think it was irresponsible for them to be out there on this weekend.

It sounds like they got what they were looking for, and I'm sure the show will turn out looking like we're all a bunch of backward jackasses.

VickiW

Aaahhhhhh, that explains the camera man I saw in a Leo's SUV!! (I actually thought it was a ranger with a camera :banghead: ) My daughters and I were at vendor row looking for the ice man Saturday afternoon, and we crossed paths with the SUV. I always try to wave and send a smile their way in appreciation, but instead I came face to face with that darn camera instead! Wasn't much unlawful stuff going on at that time, so hopefully I end up on the cutting room floor. :lol:

Oh Vicki, I hope your prediction does not come to fruition!! :dunno:

when i seen the camera crew (a few times over the weekend) i seen them in the buggy....NO SEAT BELT!!! climbing in and out at comp. the guy was hanging out the window of the truck and the rail so surely that wasnt safe and on top of that it was a LEO driving :dunno: wtf is with that friggin do as i say not as i do attitude?

k i am done

Capt

ynot,

Thanks for your info. If you look at the first sentenance in my post I said what can we(me) do. I was not complaining and wanting someone else to fix it and leave me alone. I just wanted to hear responses from people. Just bored and venting. And when you say GET INVOLVED, I do with things that I believe I can help with like trash pickup. I personally don't think anything will help with what I was complaining about. There really is no way to fix STUPIDITY and DISRESPECT which is what it really is. only way to really fix the problem of camp racers is have 50 leo's parked out there in every area with radar guns and I for one don't want that. Like I said I would rather see no leo's.

Wow lot's of words on this subject the only thing I would like to ad is that in the end an open container ticket...........big breath........is an important ticket for them to be writing. No matter what the situation if they see someone hop in any vehicle with an open container and they do not have to high speed pursuit and risk all the liability, personally I think it is the most um pragmatic ticket for one of those guys to write. Probably more expensive ticket than camp racing too. Low risk high pay I would say they are doing their job. I guess the lesson I would learn is I will never jump in any vehicle out there with an adult beverage in my hand. Not that I make a habit of doing that anyway.

Edited by Kens Colors

I did not know you cant stake off the fingers. We have always staked off part of a finger for the kids and did not know it wasn't allowed. I am not looking to start crap here but what is the problem with doing that? We have a camp of 4-5 trailers/motorhame with quite a few little ones and just triing to keep em safe. I sure you guys will have some reasons whiy its not allowed...probably stuff I don't know about.

Also what are the meeting you guys are referring to?? Are they something anybody can attend??

The problem is not staking off the finger dunes.. its what you USE to stake them off with... In the past we were cool with cones and other stuff... but when you find cones with REBAR in them... or 2x4's pounded into the ground holding up caution tape... it makes you think... what if i was to fall off my bike for some reason and take a piece of rebar thru the chest!! Its not safe... and there was a new rule added that any thing SOLID could not be pounded into the finger dunes... rebar wood fence posts whatever...

ynot,

Thanks for your info. If you look at the first sentenance in my post I said what can we(me) do. I was not complaining and wanting someone else to fix it and leave me alone. I just wanted to hear responses from people. Just bored and venting. And when you say GET INVOLVED, I do with things that I believe I can help with like trash pickup. I personally don't think anything will help with what I was complaining about. There really is no way to fix STUPIDITY and DISRESPECT which is what it really is. only way to really fix the problem of camp racers is have 50 leo's parked out there in every area with radar guns and I for one don't want that. Like I said I would rather see no leo's.

Mike that comment was not meant at you, no disrespect intended. I was trying to compress an answer as a whole not to anyone specific. If that did not come through please accept my apology.

I'm going to try and chime in without sounding mis informed or ignorant.

The factions that want to shut us down will stop at nothing to succeed. I am in agreement that you cannot fix stupid but, will they:

Shut us down for camp racing? Probably not.

Shut us down for marking the fingers with rebar, 2x4's, etc? Probably not.

Shut us down for parties, fights, fires at Comp? Probably not.

Shut us down getting into a vehicle with an open container? Probably not.

Shut us down for leaving trash all over the dunes? You betcha

Shut us down for burning pallets? Yep

Shut us down for riding in closed areas? Oh yeah

Shut us down for dumping holding tanks anywhere other than a dump station? Hell yeah

My children have been coming to Dumont since before they were born and ever since they were able to pick up a trash bag, they have been educated on how it 'should' be. Education, awareness and a good concious is they key to keeping the tree huggers at bay. As far as the camp racing and stuff, well we need to depend on the LEO's to take care of that but take care of that safely. If an LEO gets hurt out there, trust me, you will have at least 5 other LEO's as cover units standing by until their fellow brother is taken care of and then we are down that many.

Since I'm done riding my quad and will find myself in the Rhino or my truck, you bet there will be trash bags in them. Now, I'm not going to be hunting for trash, but if I see it...I will pick it up. We all need to understand that big weekends bring problems, but EVERY weekend brings stuff that the greenies will use against us.

So in short, get involved and stay involved, pack it in, pack MORE out. Just my .02

Mike that comment was not meant at you, no disrespect intended. I was trying to compress an answer as a whole not to anyone specific. If that did not come through please accept my apology.

I did not take any offense by your comment. I knew not everyone would agree with me but just wanted to say something on here about it. Everyone has thier own opinion like me. I still enjoy going out and would never change that. I have been out there before and not even went riding...just love being out there.. I will be out there for 11 days on T-day. Friday before till monday after :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I will address these as best I can. I have talked to the head LEO at BLM about these issues and more but this is the condensed version.

1) camp racers are a problem in the fact that the LEO's have to actually catch them, so do they turn on their lights and sirens and go 80 MPH past the camps to try to catch them and then what if someone pulls out in front of the ranger in pursuit? The lawyer will ask if the officers actions were prudent and that would be a tuff one to defend ranger says : I was trying to stop a camp racer who might have killed someone" to which the attny would respond that" well he didn't but you did" The liability issue is huge and then what if the guys are on 2 wheelers or fast buggies or quads and run off into the dunes, do you put a ranger at risk in a high speed pursuit for a misdemanor ticket? The truth is they do what they can but it is impossible to stop it all and the only way to stop more of it is there prescence and education.

2) Staking the dunes has been addressed and I believe the law has been requested but has to run thru federal channels before it goes into the federal registry and becomes law. Best advice I can tell you is don't go on them and take an unneccassary risk.

3)Trash is my big issue, I left camp in my rhino to go to see Pete and almost ran over a all glass firepit. I went back to camp and got a garbage bag and filled it with beer bottles(broken o course) 3 bottles of grey goose vodka and other assorted glas and aluim products. Just when I thought I had it all I would find another row buried in the sand. It took a concious effort to do this and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

One of the campers I camped with walked our camp just prior to all of us leaving and found 2 pieces of paper that blew in. Everybody as far as I know picked up at least 1 bag of junk lying around that wasn't there's.

Is there a way to fix it well I hope so but education is the key but try to talk to some of these azzhats about the "right" thing to do and see what the reaction to you is. That is why if we are not careful we will lose the ability to go there.

I don't mean to be long winded but you cannot depend on the Goverment to fix all the issues it will never happen. We as Duners have to help with this and it takes volunteering and joining in this case FoDD and getting involved.

same old story. the leos are lazy and dont want to do their job. they are peace officers and can do about what they want. liability-are you kidding?? they dont have to pursue the car, just note it down(most cars have a certain marking etc) and ticket when they find or catch it. they have the power to arrest drivers and impound cars are their whim if they feel they are endangering the public with reckless driving etc. giving tickets for whips, riding double and all the little crap is just that-crap. there is really no reason for them even being there since they do nothing to keep the public safe. they are a waste of time. we need some real leos that will keep the dunes safe by showing some balls and get with the program. lets start impounding some cars and arresting the drivers-and yes that is within their powers. the laws are there whether its at the dunes or on I-15-there is no difference. they just have to be enforced. I ride my motorcyle over 100mph knowing that I will be arrested and my bike impounded if I am caught. THE LAWS ARE THERE-JUST USE THEM. Lets get rid of these bad apples so we can regain dumont for the real family off-roaders. ok, Im done. no more to be said.

The problem is not staking off the finger dunes.. its what you USE to stake them off with...

I agree with what you say, and I can see this as a safety risk. I think just using cones would be great(no rebar) because I do feel that letting people know that my camp is on the other side of the finger is important. I have seen plenty of people jump a finger directly into someones camp. Isn't it the same problem as people going to fast on the flats and blowing by your camps?? I will absolutely only be putting cones on the fingers where we camp from now on i appreciate the info.

same old story. the leos are lazy and dont want to do their job. they are peace officers and can do about what they want. liability-are you kidding?? they dont have to pursue the car, just note it down(most cars have a certain marking etc) and ticket when they find or catch it. they have the power to arrest drivers and impound cars are their whim if they feel they are endangering the public with reckless driving etc. giving tickets for whips, riding double and all the little crap is just that-crap. there is really no reason for them even being there since they do nothing to keep the public safe. they are a waste of time. we need some real leos that will keep the dunes safe by showing some balls and get with the program. lets start impounding some cars and arresting the drivers-and yes that is within their powers. the laws are there whether its at the dunes or on I-15-there is no difference. they just have to be enforced. I ride my motorcyle over 100mph knowing that I will be arrested and my bike impounded if I am caught. THE LAWS ARE THERE-JUST USE THEM. Lets get rid of these bad apples so we can regain dumont for the real family off-roaders. ok, Im done. no more to be said.

hey I don't know you, so I would rather not insult you on the internet I would much rather do it in person.

But seriously, do you really believe what you said, are you that unitelligent? Godamnit I hardly ever get pissed off when people rant their rediculous rants, but you sir are an unappreciative d*ck. What you think you could do a better job than they do? Can you imagine the carnage that would ensue if there was no leo's out there. Once again some some loudmouth prick badmouthing someone that has an extremely difficult job that risks their live every time they go to work and do the best that they can day in and day out! I would never ever want their job, but damn sir I think you should get to the nearest leo recruiting center and apply because I have no doubt you could do their job so much better. Damn sorry :drinkbeer::thumbsdown: I hate to rant