the new vendor row spot

dunefreak

I thought the new vendors row area was pretty cool. I liked the way they have vendors on each side. It was kinda like a street with strip malls on each side. :D I only made it over there once this weekend really quick to buy a wheel bearing from Doghouse, but I thought it was a pretty cool new thing for Dumont. It was still dusty, but with no wind whatsoever this last weekend, it was dusty everywhere at Dumont. I don't think we'll have people getting stuck anymore or any near misses or accidents with people wizzing by like the old spot was. :dunno:

What did everyone else think about the new spot?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont like the new spot at all, created way too much traffic on the main road. Had some very close calls, the old spot was perfect it was centralized for everyone.

Talk about close calls! The old spot was full of em right in front of the vendors in it's centralized location. :dunno:

I had some e mails from one of the vendors today and he(they) were unhappy with the amount of silt/dust this weekend that seemed to hang around their area. My suggestion to him was that maybe we make an area like the district at Green Valley Ranch and make it pedestrians only. Split the vendors onto both sides and rope/block both ends with parking on each end. Then have the water truck come thru in the AM and give te walking area a little blast to keep the dust down.

His statement was that people liked to cruise the vendor's row. That's what's causing the dust in my opinion so if we make it a walk way it would certainly help.

Also by putting them across from each other it makes it a easier walk and people will spend more time which could equal more sales. What are your thoughts?

I had some e mails from one of the vendors today and he(they) were unhappy with the amount of silt/dust this weekend that seemed to hang around their area. My suggestion to him was that maybe we make an area like the district at Green Valley Ranch and make it pedestrians only. Split the vendors onto both sides and rope/block both ends with parking on each end. Then have the water truck come thru in the AM and give te walking area a little blast to keep the dust down.

His statement was that people liked to cruise the vendor's row. That's what's causing the dust in my opinion so if we make it a walk way it would certainly help.

Also by putting them across from each other it makes it a easier walk and people will spend more time which could equal more sales. What are your thoughts?

he is right!! the dust is bad and it is very hard to see all the vendors when i ride by at 60mph :D

walk wtf lol my feet already hurt just thinking about it.. water truck and quads lol sounds like a mess to me

just joking Ynot

btw it was nice meeting you and you lead a beautiful dune run (i was with barfoot bob)

all i do is eat at hogs and buy parts here and there so whatever you guys decide works for me :dunno:

Capt

Another thought, maybe get some more asphalt and put in that area for that reason, done a pretty good job on the road going in unless your doing 40..... SF Woody :thumbsdown:

Woodster that's why we wanted you on the board of directors for friends of Dumont you think outside the box! I will pass that idea on to BLM but won't do much this season as we won't be getting any asphalt until at least March unless the USMC would like to donate some piles of it I heard about scattered about on a certain base not to far from Dumont? :drinkbeer:

it has it's pro's and cons. these are the two most prominent:

pro: traffic around the front finger dune was almost non-existent. traffic leaving dumont around that area on sunday to leave the dunes flowed like a river.

con: the old vendor row spot provided a great landmark as to which direction to travel to find your camp at night, and how far. i didn't go to comp. hill at all at night during this trip, but i spoke with friends who did and they experienced alot of difficulty finding their way back in darkness.

overall, i initially didn't care for the new vendor row placement idea, but i've changed my mind after this weekend and my opinion is that the pro's outweigh the cons.

I like the new spot. It was getting way too crowded at the old spot. Made it very difficult to get by sometimes with the TH. You would have to get real close to the end of the sand finger and a lot of people were getting stuck. It was a good landmark but to congested

con: the old vendor row spot provided a great landmark as to which direction to travel to find your camp at night, and how far. i didn't go to comp. hill at all at night during this trip, but i spoke with friends who did and they experienced alot of difficulty finding their way back in darkness.

DARKNESS??? its a friggen city out there :D but I know what you mean :thumbsdown:

I think that having people park at each end and having to walk is a great idea. Alot of the dust were from people going 50mph in that area. They need to post speed limit signs.

How about speed bumps, that would slow peeps down :thumbsdown:

Seriously though, I thought the new spot was OK, I talked to a guy at Sand Crazd and he said that he thought it was a bit dustier than the old spot. Maybe a couple trips a day w/ a water truck would fix it.

If it was made pedestrian only, I probably wouldn't make as many visits and they better put the ice vendor near the parking lot :D

I wonder if the vendors noticed any increase/decrease in revenue versus the old spot?

Edited by dune_rat

the new spot is the most intelligent thing they have done its 20 times safer

i noticed people slowed down to cruise and look.

i actually spent more money there than usual.

that old spot was a an acccident waiting to happen. it sucked!!

i like it. water it or put down some grindings the shoulder has enough right now that they bladed to do a nice spot.

heck a small water buffalo a few times a day would calm it down. :thumbsdown:

I'm working on that now ynot, it's not a huge amount(maybe 3 dump trucks), but some would be better than none and with some water, it would probably work out decent until more could be taken out there in the future....SF Woody :thumbsdown:

Pedestrians only is a good idea (terry) :laughing: it would solve alot of their dust issues,not all of it but would definitely cut down a majority of it, unless people still haul a$$ next to the roped off section :rockwoot:

im not walking to the hog and im not letting my rail out of my sight !! i would be one less patron ig this comes to fruition. maybe they can live without my dollars but thats my :thumb:

speed limit signs around the area would help. there were many people that saw the crowds and needed to show off leaving a big cloud of dust. kind of like a no wake zone for dust.

if it went to a walking only area maybe 3 parking areas would be better each end and center.

as for land marks there were so many lights and blow up things on peoples haulers i didnt have any problem finding my way around

i liked the the new spot