What's up with Valero

Kitcat

We stopped at Valero in Baker to get a couple things and to get a pass for Thanksgiving weekend. They still didn't have the season pass, but the guy was a joke. My husband wanted a week pass (we were staying Saturday - Monday). However, the guy behind the counter would only write it until Sunday. :assblast: Isn't it supposed to be a week pass? We stopped by the shack at the entrance to Dumont to get the season pass, but no one was there Sunday or Monday. Oh well!

yeah the WHOLE pass thing is a MESS

I know Pete posted all the information, and I bet you didnt know that according to the way it is as of now unless they change you cant use that $40 towards a season pass.

oh and when I bought the Thanksgiving pass at the Shell I asked for a season pass (missed that part sorry Pete) and I said oh well I can use towards a season pass right?? he said yeap good as money just keep the pass when you go to get a season one!!!!

So my big question is.... WTF was the BLM plan? the way I see it they are LOOSING money with this whole increase thing and NOT having a way to pay at the Dunes except on holiday weekends. I truly think they should re-think having a vendor at the dunes all the time or a pay station there with a way to pay for a season pass.

I know of quit a few folks that have been out there before the season pass deal came about and would have paid if they could but no way to do that. and WHY is it that you cant get a seaon pass anywhere but the trailer at Dumont??? what a brite idea that was?????

ok I am done...... for now... sorry

Edited by Paul Rob

We stopped at Valero in Baker to get a couple things and to get a pass for Thanksgiving weekend. They still didn't have the season pass, but the guy was a joke. My husband wanted a week pass (we were staying Saturday - Monday). However, the guy behind the counter would only write it until Sunday. :assblast: Isn't it supposed to be a week pass? We stopped by the shack at the entrance to Dumont to get the season pass, but no one was there Sunday or Monday. Oh well!

yeah the WHOLE pass thing is a MESS

I know Pete posted all the information, and I bet you didnt know that according to the way it is as of now unless they change you cant use that $40 towards a season pass.

oh and when I bought the Thanksgiving pass at the Shell I asked for a season pass (missed that part sorry Pete) and I said oh well I can use towards a season pass right?? he said yeap good as money just keep the pass when you go to get a season one!!!!

So my big question is.... WTF was the BLM plan? the way I see it they are LOOSING money with this whole increase thing and NOT having a way to pay at the Dunes except on holiday weekends. I truly think they should re-think having a vendor at the dunes all the time or a pay station there with a way to pay for a season pass.

I know of quit a few folks that have been out there before the season pass deal came about and would have paid if they could but no way to do that. and WHY is it that you cant get a seaon pass anywhere but the trailer at Dumont??? what a brite idea that was?????

ok I am done...... for now... sorry

I know its gonna be difficult. and I see Pete chiming in, but i will say this

the fee increase went into effect right before Thanksgiving. I know that when I bought my week pass, it was issued thanksgiving night, thursday, and good until the following Wednesday, Dec the 5th.

the point was not to pay at the dunes, as it cost BLM money to staff people to take money and verify passes. This is an attempt to save money.

save your receipt that you paid for the pass, and it will be good towards a season pass. the blm is just trying to work out some issues right now

as far as the guy at the valero in Baker....what do you expect for minimum wage over holiday ?

I don't know why he wouldn't write it for a full 7 days, but the season passes aren't going to be sold by the vendors. Would everyone PLEASE take a moment and read this page...

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/passes.html

Hopefully it clears up some confusion and answers some questions. :undecided:

NO I WILL NOT LOOK AT THIS... I want a tattoo of it on my forehead so I cant forget :rockwoot: and I am clear on it :mc_smiley: :assblast::MBdance:

but here is the question.....

I havent seen BLM there except on holiday weekends, so how do you buy a season pass??? oh wait I see now at the barstow BLM office (yeah right) or mail (again yeah right)

Edited by Paul Rob

The reason for that, Paul, is because when the weekly passes were $20 the season passes weren't available at the time. Therefore, when the new fees went into effect the season passes became available. The $40 passes aren't counted as credit toward a season pass because you could have just bought a season pass. I know I know, you couldn't buy it at Valero, but they were available at Dumont.

I don't know why he wouldn't write it for a full 7 days, but the season passes aren't going to be sold by the vendors. Would everyone PLEASE take a moment and read this page...

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/passes.html

Hopefully it clears up some confusion and answers some questions. :undecided:

Someone needs to inform the folks at Valero. They told us on Halloween weekend that the shack didn't have passes, so we bought one then for $20. When we stopped by there last Saturday, they told us the $40 would go towards the season pass, so Mark bought one.

Did we just throw away $40????? If so, that really irks me! :assblast: If places like Valero can't get their story straight, then they shouldn't be selling passes!!!! :MBdance:

Someone needs to inform the folks at Valero. They told us on Halloween weekend that the shack didn't have passes, so we bought one then for $20. When we stopped by there last Saturday, they told us the $40 would go towards the season pass, so Mark bought one.

Did we just throw away $40????? If so, that really irks me! :assblast: If places like Valero can't get their story straight, then they shouldn't be selling passes!!!! :MBdance:

Ditto

I know Pete our fault for not reading that sentence :undecided: but the the guy at the Shell and the guy at valero told us BOTH the same thing.....

save your receipt that you paid for the pass, and it will be good towards a season pass. the blm is just trying to work out some issues right now

No Jason. Unless the weekly pass was purchased BEFORE November 21, 2007, it will not be counted as credit towards a season pass.

but here is the question.....

I havent seen BLM there except on holiday weekends, so how do you buy a season pass???

At the last TRT meeting, they discussed how they were wrking on getting the new software for the self pay machines. I am guessing that the season passes will be available at the machine if nobody is out there.

You guys have to understand that the fees changing, making rules, coming up with ideas on how they are going to do this whole thing, printing passes, etc...had to happen in a matter of about a week's time. They (the BLM) had to wait for the new fees to be past by a committee, then it was less than a week till Thanksgiving. You will have just be patient as more details slowly surface.

Did we just throw away $40????? If so, that really irks me! :MBdance: If places like Valero can't get their story straight, then they shouldn't be selling passes!!!! :undecided:

I guess our hope is Vicki or sailaway will help us here at the next meeting...

Thanks Vicki, and Terri

Paul

Well I can't answer the question about the guy at Valero. All I know is that the BLM didn't have very much time to educate every vendor very well about the specifics. The guy probably didn't understand the whole pass mess.

As for the next meeting, it isn't until February so that won't help. :rockwoot::assblast:

I am trying to stay in contact with the BLM and gather info about the passes. I will post whatever I find when I do. They have been pretty helpfull so far. :mc_smiley:

Ditto

I know Pete our fault for not reading that sentence :MBdance: but the the guy at the Shell and the guy at valero told us BOTH the same thing.....

Since there is so much confusion, I think they should honor the $40 we spent towards the season pass. I don't care who's working behind the counter at Valero. They need a sign or something with the rules. :assblast: I bet there's a lot more than 2 of us that made this mistake.

Since there is so much confusion, I think they should honor the $40 we spent towards the season pass. I don't care who's working behind the counter at Valero. They need a sign or something with the rules. :MBdance: I bet there's a lot more than 2 of us that made this mistake.

Your probably right. I am sure they (the BLM) are going to educate them (the vendors) better and hopefully get more accurate info out now that the mad rush is over.

All I can say is the info that I post (on the pass page and hompage) is always accurate info either directly from the BLM, the TRT, or from first hand personal experience out there. You can either read that or take the guy's word for it that is selling beef jerky and sodas. Take your pick. :undecided::assblast:

Well I can't answer the question about the guy at Valero. All I know is that the BLM didn't have very much time to educate every vendor very well about the specifics. The guy probably didn't understand the whole pass mess.

As for the next meeting, it isn't until February so that won't help. :rockwoot::assblast:

I am trying to stay in contact with the BLM and gather info about the passes. I will post whatever I find when I do. They have been pretty helpfull so far. :mc_smiley:

We just looked at the lovely $40 pass we purchased (maybe we'll frame it, since it cost us so much). Anyway, it doesn't say anything about the holiday pass not counting towards the season pass. Furthermore, this wasn't on the "rules" that Valero had posted. They need to honor the $40. it's not our fault the BLM didn't inform the vendors properly!!! :MBdance::undecided:

:flipoff: :rant_on:

We just looked at the lovely $40 pass we purchased (maybe we'll frame it, since it cost us so much). Anyway, it doesn't say anything about the holiday pass not counting towards the season pass. Furthermore, this wasn't on the "rules" that Valero had posted. They need to honor the $40. it's not our fault the BLM didn't inform the vendors properly!!! :flipoff::think:

I got the same story from the guy at valero so when I got to the gaote at Dumont and asked the BLM guy as I entered about the date ending on t-day he said they were not issueing the week passes for the holiday so I asked does this mean I have to pay twice since I was staying till monday and he told "Listen to me WE wont be here on Monday " so what is this b.s. ? :flipoff: :rant_on:

the whole pass issue should have been put off un tell next year. so blm had the time to put a plan, a price and, idea together in one thought. I know because of funding issues they needed the increase this year. but it looks like a bumbling government mess that will end up costing them the extra money they need. (the road comes back to mind) it sure doesn't make them look responsible to manage the money they do get. thankfully we have the trt.

so if im straight on this if I go to dumont next weekend I need to either drive to barstow blm or mail my 3 old $20 passes and $60 and hope to get it back before I leave saturday. neither is going to happen even if I sent it fed ex with return paid. and driving there is a waste of gas and time and will cost me more then $40. so if the blm isn't there saturday then what? a $40 vender week pass. what a pain. and I want to pay for a full pass but they sure haven't made it easy.

imagine if you didn't have DDR to steer you right and had to be informed by mister mini-wage. I say it is a black eye for the blm even if it was a sucker punch.

See I'm confused now too.... :flipoff:

When I bought my weekly pass at the BLM trailer the lady inside said I can use the pass towards my season pass as long as I bought it before December 31st.

What's the point of buying a pass if no one is there to check it????? :flipoff:

I pulled out around 2:30pm on Sunday and there was no trailer or BLM Officer in sight!!!

No Jason. Unless the weekly pass was purchased BEFORE November 21, 2007, it will not be counted as credit towards a season pass.

At the last TRT meeting, they discussed how they were wrking on getting the new software for the self pay machines. I am guessing that the season passes will be available at the machine if nobody is out there.

You guys have to understand that the fees changing, making rules, coming up with ideas on how they are going to do this whole thing, printing passes, etc...had to happen in a matter of about a week's time. They (the BLM) had to wait for the new fees to be past by a committee, then it was less than a week till Thanksgiving. You will have just be patient as more details slowly surface.

thanks for clearing up my mis information spewing AZZ

:flipoff::flipoff:

:flipoff:

sorry folks

:flipoff: :rant_on:

I got the same story from the guy at valero so when I got to the gaote at Dumont and asked the BLM guy as I entered about the date ending on t-day he said they were not issueing the week passes for the holiday so I asked does this mean I have to pay twice since I was staying till monday and he told "Listen to me WE wont be here on Monday " so what is this b.s. ? :flipoff: :rant_on:

If I'm reading this right I have a feeling that he was trying to tell you without telling you that it doesn't matter. They won't be there on Monday so there wasn't going to be anybody there to check on you and make you buy another pass. That's one thing I have learned over the years, law enforcement will tell you that there is a loophole or a way out of being hassled anymore but you have to listen carefully since most of the time they will still sound like an azzhole.

Your probably right. I am sure they (the BLM) are going to educate them (the vendors) better and hopefully get more accurate info out now that the mad rush is over.

All I can say is the info that I post (on the pass page and hompage) is always accurate info either directly from the BLM, the TRT, or from first hand personal experience out there. You can either read that or take the guy's word for it that is selling beef jerky and sodas. Take your pick. :flipoff::flipoff:

Mmmmm beef jerky. I like teriyaki!!

What's the point of buying a pass if no one is there to check it????? :flipoff:

It's the right thing to do....for a place we love to recreate at.

the whole pass issue should have been put off un tell next year. so blm had the time to put a plan, a price and, idea together in one thought. I know because of funding issues they needed the increase this year. but it looks like a bumbling government mess that will end up costing them the extra money they need. (the road comes back to mind) it sure doesn't make them look responsible to manage the money they do get. thankfully we have the trt.

so if im straight on this if I go to dumont next weekend I need to either drive to barstow blm or mail my 3 old $20 passes and $60 and hope to get it back before I leave saturday. neither is going to happen even if I sent it fed ex with return paid. and driving there is a waste of gas and time and will cost me more then $40. so if the blm isn't there saturday then what? a $40 vender week pass. what a pain. and I want to pay for a full pass but they sure haven't made it easy.

imagine if you didn't have DDR to steer you right and had to be informed by mister mini-wage. I say it is a black eye for the blm even if it was a sucker punch.

I agree 100%. They shouldn't do a half a$$ job of educating the vendors and putting the word out, then expect us to be totally understanding of this. I'm just glad that I'm hearing about this now, then when I get to the gate and have to pay more than I expect. Still makes me mad! Can I write the $40 off on my taxes??? Geez!!! :eatdrink021:

I stopped at Valero Wed night before T-Day, wanted season pass, they didn't have them, bought weekend pass just in case to have one in hand. Went to the BLM trailer Sunday morning, they applied that $40 towards season pass no hassle at all. Give BLM a chance before you get worked up about fees. Seems they haven't done us wrong yet have they? Well OK there is the entrance road thing, the lack of enforcement by LEO's, this could go on and on. Anyway, they seem to be doing the right thing on the fees, but get it resolved quickly, don't wait untill new years to try and recoup your money. :laughing:

I stopped at Valero Wed night before T-Day, wanted season pass, they didn't have them, bought weekend pass just in case to have one in hand. Went to the BLM trailer Sunday morning, they applied that $40 towards season pass no hassle at all. Give BLM a chance before you get worked up about fees. Seems they haven't done us wrong yet have they? Well OK there is the entrance road thing, the lack of enforcement by LEO's, this could go on and on. Anyway, they seem to be doing the right thing on the fees, but get it resolved quickly, don't wait untill new years to try and recoup your money. :laughing:

I got there the Monday before and went to Valero as well. The guy said he couldn't sell me a pass because it would expire the next day. He said to go to Dog House vendor and he'd have them. I did that and boy was he mad. He said the BLM promised to give him passes but that never happened. He said he got $1 per pass loosing a lot of money. I went to the BLM on Friday afternoon and gave the lady 2 passes I had bought previously. She didn't even look at them, gave me credit for both, and I got my season pass with no problems. I guess the vendors will not be selling them.