Dumping Gray Water

Is it illegal to dump you gray water on the sand?

To my understanding, if it just soap, water and stuff and not any chemicals it is harmless to the environment. I know if you put it on your lawn it would make it greener. Is is so bad to leave your gray tank open just a crack while on the sand?

Please, I am not saying that we do this, cause we don't EVER, just a question.

I put beer, coke, ammonia, mouthwash and dish soap on my lawn. Does wonders.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is grey water considered "sewage"? The rules say it is illegal to dump sewage.

Yes.

Sewage

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

It has been suggested that Blackwater (waste) be merged into this article or section. (Discuss)

Sewage is the mainly liquid waste containing some solids produced by humans which typically consists of washing water, faeces, urine, laundry waste and other material which goes down drains and toilets from households and industry. It is one type of wastewater, and is a major actual or potential source of pollution especially in urban areas. Sewage services exist to manage sewage by collection, treatment and recycling or safe disposal into the environment

As per the federal level, you are allowed to dump grey tanks as long as you are 300' from the nearest water source. The plant life will be fertalized<sp> due to the phosphates<sp> contained in the soap products, hence the green lawn.

It would be fine and dandy on a moderate level in a forest type of enviroment

-But-

Dumont is hardly a forest type of enviroment, and I dont think that 10K trailers would fall under the moderate level.....

So some places have special additions to their rule set, and once again on the federal level that will overide the general rules....

Now back to our general programming....

Edited by chris1223

1 ? Who's rules r these. Were they approved by blm, trt or the same board who approved the pass increase.

BLM....you can find it here on their site. click

I posted Pete's because he put some hard work into bringing that info here, but it says the same things on the bottom portion of the page.

I dont care if its a rule or not!!! We pay the big bucks to get in and i am not gonna leave just because my 50 gallon gray tank is backed up into my shower or sink. Now dont get me wrong, i dont "dump" my gray tank but i will lower the level of it enough so that its not backed up. Seems someone has too much time on their hands, you would think counting all that money we pay them would keep them busy without all these petty rules. :laughing::laughing:

why would anyone want to dump the grey out in the desert :stick_smack: i use it to flush (flushes the dump tube and hose)then rinse w/ fresh water after dumping the black..WHILE DUMPING AT A DUMP STATION.

not that I do it now, but I have 150 gallons fresh water, and 50 black, 50 gallon grey, so I could in theory dump the grey which I do in Utah becasue of showers etc it fills like in 3-4 days and then we still have 3 days or so of filling the grey when we do come home I do as you mentioned above.. Just a reason why you might be tempted is all

Worst case cenario I trickle my grey out just to get by one more day before I leave, I'm not emptying it but just letting a lil bit out. I'd never do that w/ the black tank there are outhouses there for that if I get too full. And sorry to say but all the boys "P" in the desert to keep the black tank from filling...

I got some clean tires.... Gross!!!!!

1 ? Who's rules r these. Were they approved by blm, trt or the same board who approved the pass increase.

Those are rules that were gathered from the BLM. They are just worded in simple terms is all. You think I'd just make up our own rules and publish that? :stick_smack:

I don't think the problem is grey water. I think it is very possible to accidently pull the wrong lever and have a very large problem. If you regulate both black and grey... there can be no mistake made. IMO

I would rather drain my gray water than urinate in the sand. Does anyone pee on the sand?

Lets see, if the coyotes do, our dogs do, any other animals out there do, then why not? Would you drive all the way back to your rig from the other side of the dunes to pee? I bet more people pee on the sand then you want to know. I'd rather have pee on the sand than engine oil, coolant, trans fluid, fryer oil, etc. Plus, when you drink hella beers etc. an rv black tank would fill up awful fast. We're in the desert, not at a KOA.