Little Sahara, UT

Kitcat

Has anyone ever driven to Little Sahara from Henderson (or Vegas)? How long is the drive, esp if you're hauling a trailer? We were trying to think of a nice place to go duning in the summertime. It looks like it gets warm there, but might be nice. Besides Pismo, does anyone have any other suggestions? We've gone to Circleville, UT a couple times and rode the Paiute trail - it was really fun. Just thinking about some ideas for summer vacations!

:freakin_nuts:

We've been there 3 times in the last year and a half. We've gone in mid-June, July 4th and Labor day. Daytime highs in the 90's but the nights are cool. It took us about 6 1/2 to 7 hours each way from Henderson. But we were cruising about 63 mph and stopped multiple times for the dogs.

We've been there 3 times in the last year and a half. We've gone in mid-June, July 4th and Labor day. Daytime highs in the 90's but the nights are cool. It took us about 6 1/2 to 7 hours each way from Henderson. But we were cruising about 63 mph and stopped multiple times for the dogs.

That's cool. What are the camping conditions up there? Are there hook ups or it is dry camping like at Dumont? Are there a lot of riding areas?

That's cool. What are the camping conditions up there? Are there hook ups or it is dry camping like at Dumont? Are there a lot of riding areas?

Kitcat

Little Sahara is really a great place to go :dolphin:

LS-behindmt.jpg

the riding is very technical and the area is HUGE !!! (the actual open riding area is a lot bigger then glamis....and less crowded)

there are 3 main camp areas ; i like the Oasis (shade, big parking spots, nice restrooms and water)

sand mountain is too crowded for me (i dont need the hillshooting noise all day long :laughing: )

white sands is very secluded but also very sandy (no problem if you have a 4wd towrig)

check out this link: Dunereview great pics and all the info you need :broke:

Edited by spooner

We stayed at Sand Mountain, can be crowded on holiday weekends. But if not a holiday, it wasn't too bad at all and I love camping where you can watch people race up the hills from our camp.No hookups here, but there are bathrooms and water is available from like May thru October (I think). Here's some pics:

post-424-1198214525_thumb.jpg

post-424-1198214599_thumb.jpg

post-424-1198214662_thumb.jpg

post-424-1198214744_thumb.jpg

post-424-1198214890_thumb.jpg

....water is available from like May thru October (I think)...

racegirl04 is right; the water is not always available

the BLM is actually hauling the water there by truck so they ask camp users to be moderate with water usage

i have seen the rangers (rightfully :beerpint: ) nearly throw a guy out of the camp for filling a inflatable pool for his kids :mc_smiley:

• 2 weeks later...

KitKatt,

Easter weekend is the best time for Sand Mountain. It will remind you of Dumont for activities. Has well water spickets located in variuos places. I live in St. George and dune there often. The comp hill is higher than dumont. summers are hot. We go to the mountains in the summer or corral pink. Bring your new rhino. I just ordered mine. Midnight warrior. Will be at Dumont Pres day.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. :lol: We might end up going to Circleville again this year because with the Rhino, we can go much further and expore more of the trails. I like riding in technical dunes, though and Little Sahara looks awesome! My husband has been to the Oregon dunes a long time ago, when he was a kid. He loved it there.

• 1 year later...