Tires

HappyHour

Just wondering how often you guys check your tires. Either on your RV or trailer. Is it just before every trip?? Is it during the drive at stops you make? I've had two blowouts in the past year coming from Dumont and was just wondering.

Thanks......... :beercheers:

Just wondering how often you guys check your tires. Either on your RV or trailer. Is it just before every trip?? Is it during the drive at stops you make? I've had two blowouts in the past year coming from Dumont and was just wondering.

Thanks......... :beercheers:

I check the pressure on every tire on the trailer and truck the night before leaving. I also go around and "thump" and look at the tread of every tire every time I stop. Guess it's a habit from my job as a truck driver. I have lost one tire coming from Dumont and it musta been flat for a while because the next time I stopped was in Beatty after checking them when I got to the pavement and had a 2" ring of rubber on one wheel. :driver: Never saw, heard or felt a thing. Now I stop when I hit the pavement and when I get to 95 at Lathorp Wells and in Beatty and when I turn at the Cottontail (Hwy 168) and..... :MBdance: kinda got anal about it after finding that rim.

Mine stay's in storage so when i bring the trailer home i check and air the tire's up. Luckily have'nt had a prob with the tires as far as seperating on the new trailer but the old one. Sucked when we were heading out on vacay & hey hun we need new tires on the trailer :MBdance::driver: don't just check tire pressure check for side wall crack's and :driver::thumb: you get the drift . :beercheers:

i air up to the needed pressure (60 psi) prior to leaving on a trip. every stop along the way (fuel, restroom, etc) i visually inspect the tires to make sure they look good.

one thing about driving where you need to air down is, you get to air back up to proper inflation rates, so i really havent had a problem so far with my tires

I have a 2003 Warrior 36'. Between 2004 and 2006 I had a total of 7 flat tires. Every single one of them was the stock tires that they had put on the rig when I bought it, CARLISLE. Every single one of them came apart the same way, like a retread. They just came apart and beat the crap out of the trailer. 2 ripped off the rear mount for the awning. 1 ripped out the fuel tank fill hose. 1 ripped up the floor of the trailer. 1 ripped out the side of the trailer. All in all those flippin tires cost me $9000 in damage to the trailer not to mention the cost of the tires. As for having a spare, I had one trip where 1 blew on the way out to Dumont about 12 miles shy of Baker and used the spare to only have another blow on the way home from that trip right at Barstow. Thank god AAA will bring you tires if you have the RV package.

Needless to say, I'm paranoid about blowouts. I carry a floor jack, compressor and a airgun with me on every trip so I don't have to wait the 3 hours it takes AAA to get me back on the road. Since I have replaced the tires that came with the rig, CARLISLE, I haven't had a problem. I've got Goodyear and Americans on now. I do check them every time I hook up and everytime I stop for gas. According to one tow truck driver in Barstow he recommended I run 45PSI in my tires even though they say 60PSI. He says most of the blowouts he sees are because of overinflation and the heat in the desert and nobody compensates for that.

I've had 1 tow truck driver and 3 tire shops tell me CARLISLES have a problem with tread seperation. Warrior even told me that they had a problem with them and stopped using them a few years ago.

If you have CARLISLES, spend the $$$ and get something else.

I don't know if this will help but, I put nitrogen in all of my tires. Now if you like to air down a lot you will not get the benifits of having nitrogen. With nitrogen in my tires the pressure doesn't go up or down with cold or heat. Also you will only loose about a pound every 3 months. Here is a good link to check out.

http://www.getnitrogen.org/

Nitrogen is a good idea, I run it in my daily drivers. It does good

You'd probably have to take all the tires off and take them to a service center that has the nitrogen service. Unfortunatly you can't get it at the local gas station for a quarter. Still can't beleive they charge for air.

You'd probably have to take all the tires off and take them to a service center that has the nitrogen service. Unfortunatly you can't get it at the local gas station for a quarter. Still can't beleive they charge for air.

They can't and they don't. The charge you to use the compressor. I know it's retarded but all gas stations are required to supply air at no charge but the law doesn't say anything about the compressor.

So, Do they put the tire into a vacuum before they put the nitrogen in to remove all oxygen? If not, your getting screwed!

So, Do they put the tire into a vacuum before they put the nitrogen in to remove all oxygen? If not, your getting screwed!

They have some special machine to do it, Haven't been out back to check it out yet, so I don't know. I get it done for free and so far they have maintained the pressure on my vehicles.