Chevy Colorado

So I'm thinkin about tradin up to crew cab Colorado 4x4. I just wanna see if anyone has any opinions on this truck. I will only get it with the 3.5 5 cyl engine.

I would like to know if anyone has towed (3000lbs) with that motor and and how it did.

I was thinkin for awhile that the next truck I would only buy would be a full size diesel, but I've scrapped that idea when I figured out that it would cost me $1000 a month just to buy and drive the damn thing.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Sean. :thumb:

I had 2 Colorados, first one an extended cab, second one a crew cab. Liked them both, and in '08 they upped the HP on them. Never had any problems with either one, just went to a full size as the family grew. Both of them had the 5 banger, sweet little motor, had it loaded pretty damn good on both trucks a few times, not sure exactly how much weight, but 4 quads and a bed full of wood with a 12 foot trailer and it pulled fine.

Edited by Ocean03

Colorado is a BIG piece of sh*t!....If you want a small truck buy a toyota. Think about this how the hell do you balance 5 cylinders? That truck will turn you into this guy when it is out of warranty-------> :freakin_nuts:

if you need something that gets decent mileage and can tow a little something look for an older chevy pickup 02-03ish with a 4.8 or 5.3 both of those motors are pretty economical and can tow what your after. I loaded one up a 03 i believe with about 3k lbs in the bed (yes it was ridin the bumpstops) drove it from brawley to nogales averaged about 18mpg there with it loaded.. and over 20 on the way back empty. it was a nice comfy drive the whole way there... I wouldnt mind picking one of them up in the future as well..

i would wait for dunefreak to reply but i thought those 5 cylinders had timing chain issues.. also the seats arent that comfy on some of the ones i drove..

nope, no timing chain issues. I just hated dealing with the chain/tensioner setup when I had to put cylinder heads on those things. Only some were affected by the problem of some misfires that poppd up at certain mileage. They have since corrected that problem. I still, personally, don't like those trucks. They feel like a beer can with a steering wheel. Not very solid at all.

Like you said, I'd look for a used Silverado. :freakin_nuts:

You might be better off in a crew cab silverado 1500 with the 5.3. the newer ones get very decent mileage, have good power and drive A LOT nicer than the colorado. We try and find used colorado's for our lot, and they just dont seem to hold up very well.

, personally, don't like those trucks. They feel like a beer can with a steering wheel. Not very solid at all.

Like you said, I'd look for a used Silverado. :freakin_nuts:

+1100154555

The colorados are JUNK, they are gutless gas drinking, depreciating pieces of sh*t.

There are some great truck bargains to be had rite now as dealers are taking them in on trade for 1/2 of book. Last week we took in a 2007 GMC 2500 quad cab 6.0 gas 4x4 with 7000 miles that wholesale booked for $24k, we gave the guy 10 k for it and sold it at auction for 12K. Trucks aint work dirt rite now.

Edited by britincali

I test drove a colorado. Stock, its terrible (the 5 cyl at that), however if you throw a turbo on that beast it comes to life (and remove the TQ management aspect which is why it feels like such a dog stock).

Personally I dont like them and I passed and got a Trailblazer, much better!

And for someone to say you cant balance a 5 cyclinder engine, are you serious? Do you understand the engine dynamics of an inline motor? Just because its an I-5 instead of an I-6 doesnt mean it cannot be balanced. Thats the most ridiculous statement ever.

Im taking that my I-6 motor will be garbage out of warranty. Ill contact you at 200,000 miles :)

And for someone to say you cant balance a 5 cyclinder engine, are you serious? Do you understand the engine dynamics of an inline motor? Just because its an I-5 instead of an I-6 doesnt mean it cannot be balanced. Thats the most ridiculous statement ever.

Well then explain that to every customer that comes through the door of our dealership complaining the idle rough. These motors are NOT a smooth idling well balanced motor whatsoever! Even the 6 cylinders aren't even that great. :laughing:

Thank you all for your comments. They are much appreciated. I definitely heard what I needed to hear.

I've given the full size alot of thought and decided that it is too much truck (cant believe I just said that) for what I am going to use it for.

All I'll be towing is 2-3 quads and camping gear.

As long as there are no major problems with the drivetrain, I still plan on buying one.

Thank you again.

p.s. as far as Toyota goes, great truck but I dont agree with putting an American flag on it. Even if it is made in America, still owned by the Japanese.

Edited by suzltr450rider

I test drove a colorado. Stock, its terrible (the 5 cyl at that), however if you throw a turbo on that beast it comes to life (and remove the TQ management aspect which is why it feels like such a dog stock).

Personally I dont like them and I passed and got a Trailblazer, much better!

Im taking that my I-6 motor will be garbage out of warranty. Ill contact you at 200,000 miles :)

You obviously know way more than I do about that chassis and powertrain, So I will have to just leave that one alone. I rebuild lawnmower engines for a living...they only have 1 piston :laughing:

haha, I forgot thats what you drive Randy. Sorry to bag on your ride. I'm just saying...ya know. :laughing::slap:

Used to drive. Got rid of it (well both), went to a Silverado Crew cab after baby #2 was on the way. Silverado is a lot more roomy and comfy with the 4 of us after my son was born last month. I actually liked the trucks, I didn't have either one long enough to have any problems. :idiot:

p.s. as far as Toyota goes, great truck but I dont agree with putting an American flag on it. Even if it is made in America, still owned by the Japanese.

I agree totally. My brother, who's a Toyota tech, keeps trying to get me to sell my Chevy for a Toyota. Never. :laughing: Buy American, even if Chevrolet is assembled in Canada & Mexico...lol

Well maybe the i5's arent as smooth as the i6's. I never thought it was rough when I test drove it though.

My i6 is smooth as silk. Granted, it sounds like a diesel when its first started up, but as far as the actual feel, its smooooooth. Im not sure why people would complain about them?? My 3800 v6 I had in my last 2 grand prix's werent as smooth I know that! The v6 in my wifes hyundai isnt either ;/