Labor Day weekend trip report

dunefreak

Well just got back yesterday after 3 days up at Coral. Man I missed that place! The last time I was there was Labor Day weekend 06 and I was jonzen bad to ride up there again.

It was kind of a last minute trip for us, but I am so glad we made it. Bert (sanddunesaddict) got there early on Wednesday and got an awesome spot in the meadow. Good thing too because it was packed! It hasn't been that crowded in years.

The weather was great. Friday was a little warm during the day (90's), but it cooled down a bit over the weekend. Nightime temps were perfect! We had a nice little fire going and it was relaxing as hell. There was some good amount of rain that came through on Saturday and early Sun AM. It was great though. Coral sand is so much fun when it gets wet. TRACTION! :laughoff: The camp area (except ours :nah: ) was muddy as hell. :censored: It got the bikes dirty as hell. hahaa Good times though.

Riding was awesome as usual. This trip I burned through alot of gas. :lol: It felt great to get on the 2 wheeler again. I think I rode it more than the quad. :whoop: Coral Pink is a blast on a dirtbike. I got some pretty good air off the dunes. :censored: I also got a chance to take out Bert's Can Am DS650. What a sweet machine. That thing loves to go fast with its powerband and tall gearing! :D Anna and I got some good runs in with the rail and got to do some fun qaud rides together too. She had a blast getting back into riding. Her last trip there was a couple years when she accidentally drove off a huge cliff. :ah: Some of you probably remember that. She quickly got back into the swing of things though and picked right back up where she left off.

This last trip was so much fun. There are so many details about this trip that I could go on and on about. One thing that made this trip so much more enjoyable was the way we made it count so much more than usual. Maybe it's because I haven't been there in so long, but I wanted to get the most out of every day we were there. I didn't get completley trashed every single night and party my a$$ off. Instead we rode our a$$es off all day and then later at night just threw back a few beers around the fire and had some great conversation. Some people think that's old people talk, but if you think about how much $$ you spend to go out there and WHY you go there in the first place it makes perfect sense to leave the crazy azz partying and gettin wasted for other times and places. I can't tell you how nice it was to get up early and ride before the sun is directly overhead. It was nice and cool, nobody out in the dunes, and that morning air just felt so great.

It was great seeing and riding with everyone. I managed to meet a few great people as well. Bob Mason, president of the ASA, and his crew were camped right next to us. We all hung out and got a chance to chat a few times throughout the weekend. Nice guys they all were. I also got to meet one of JJ's buddies, Val. He bought gotboost's grey SU car. We got a really good run in on Sunday right before we had to leave. Him and all his crew were great people. Looking forward to hooking up on some Dumont trips fo sho. Even though we weren't camped with everyone and their mom, we still managed to hang out with all the usual suspects. Good times. :laughoff:

ok I'll quit :blah: :blah: :blah: now.

Some quick obersations:

-Coral Pink is still one of my favorite places to ride

-wet sand kicks azz

-F*ck bees!

-Charlie DOES drink...a quick shot of whiskey in the morning :laughoff::lol:

-Bert & Ashley's liittle girl is growing up fast and is cute as hell. She's gonna be a duner for sure. She loves that Tracker! :censored:

-Ken's Colors is a good dune roommate :pile:

-Ken needs to change his screen name to ADD-Duner :lol:

-Flyin Ryan ran outta talent with the Artic Cat. :lol: Luckily the V8Rail guys know how to build a stout azz cage and nobody got hurt. That thing was un-scathed. :clap:

-some azzhat camp racer :flatbiller: in a Rhino got two girl passengers pretty hurt. Both ejected (not belted in) causing one broken leg on 1 girl other girl unconcious. Hope they are ok.

-Coral Pink Taledega!...YIAH YIAH

-generators don't like high altitude :banghead:

-good azz grub Sat night...ribs, chicken, cheese :black: 's, fruit, corn, etc etc. mmmm

-cane beds road going in- ROUGH and SOFT in some areas. Going out after all the rain- PERFECT! :censored:

-Fuggin cows everywhere! :laughoff:

-burining through an entire tank of fuel on one ride with the 2 wheeler- priceless! :whoop:

-I wish ISBB could have made this trip with his bike. He woulda loved it.

-drive home sucked azz. WINDY as hell, hauler was all over the road, 55-60 mph the whole way. :banghead:

-great peeps, great rides, awesome weekend!! :D:D:D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much Pete and Anna!!!!!!!!!!! There is no way I would have even thought about going on this trip until you invited me, thank you thank you.

I have never been a dune groupie before, wow what a difference, I think I may need to do it more often!!!!

I managed to ride 90 miles this trip, used almost 3 tanks of gas. What a difference a little rain makes in those dunes. What an amazingly beautiful place.

Nice seeing some peeps a havent seen in awhile. Wingnut and Crasher, Capt and Tina. Air force people sure like to party!!!!!!!! But if I were getting shipped out soon I would probably drink a lot more!!

Bert and Ashleigh's daughter is such a cute sweet baby!!!! The Dune tracker also makes a great playpen!!

I hope Pete gets some pictures up soon!!! My "Farm equipment" sure came in handy a few times!!

Again thanks Pete and Anna for the hospitality! Maybe the best dune trip I have ever had and if not the best at least one of the best!!

I didn't get completley trashed every single night and party my a$$ off. Instead we rode our a$$es off all day and then later at night just threw back a few beers around the fire and had some great conversation. Some people think that's old people talk, but if you think about how much $$ you spend to go out there and WHY you go there in the first place it makes perfect sense to leave the crazy azz partying and gettin wasted for other times and places. I

AWWWWWW

sounds like Pimpshack's growin up

:laughoff:

glad to hear you had a good trip. riding sand after the rain kicks azz..so much grip its ridiculous....and to hear you threw a leg over a ds650.....comin to the darkside? :laughoff:

:lol:

about the drinkin...like you said...time and place for that, and when strenuous physical activity (riding, driving in the sand) takes place, alcohol becomes an inhibitor......

sounds like good times. imn gonna have to make a trip up there some time

....and to hear you threw a leg over a ds650.....comin to the darkside? :laughoff:

haha. It sure was a sweet machine but I nah...still prefer the Raptor over the DS. I'd like to pick up a new Raptor 700 (mayyybe this season). We'll see. I like being able to throw it around still.

the ds's are nice fast and powerfull but a tough one to throw around in the dunes.. Unless your a "BIG" guy like bert or richardcheese.. For those guys that weigh 150lbs soaking wet not so much fun lol.. Gotta admit the raptor is a blast.

Next time pete ill make it.. I have to go one of these times.. Maybe a quick weekend speed run when it starts thawing out up there towards the end of dune season in dumont :P

I should have all my parts by the end of next week and a shakedown trip to the dry lakebed shortly after. Thats if i dont decide to send my cylinder out for more machine work.. I think im just gonna re-ring it and run it.. As long as it still holds 150psi a little blowby never hurt anyone hehe..

Sounds like everyone had a blast. I managed to get a stomach flu and to work on the back yard other than that i spent my holiday loungin on the couch.. felt good for once.

Well just got back yesterday after 3 days up at Coral. Man I missed that place! The last time I was there was Labor Day weekend 06 and I was jonzen bad to ride up there again.

It was kind of a last minute trip for us, but I am so glad we made it. Bert (sanddunesaddict) got there early on Wednesday and got an awesome spot in the meadow. Good thing too because it was packed! It hasn't been that crowded in years.

-some azzhat camp racer :flatbiller: in a Rhino got two girl passengers pretty hurt. Both ejected (not belted in) causing one broken leg on 1 girl other girl unconcious. Hope they are ok. -

Update...

the one girl who had the compound fracture came to Vegas after a trip to Kanab to stabilize.

The other was back in camp the next morning with only internal bruising.

The ranger was shocked when he went back later that night to get more info and the jackasses were playing beer pong :laughoff:

He couldnt believe they didnt even care that 2 supposed friends are hurt.

They were from vegas and I hope they read this...YOU f*cking SUCK a-holes

To make things right to your trip report.. The rhino tipping over was my friends rhino. I am good friends with the girl who owns it (Which was the passenger that has a broken leg) and the girl who was driving it was also another friend of mine that I brought out with me. The other rhino that was in the mud with them is also our friend and they were just out having a little fun. My friend (in the green rhino) did not cause any type of accident. He was already stopped when my friend decided she wanted to turn the rhino around and then it tipped. ALSO, they were both wearing their seat belts. (See pictures below). We were all camping out together as a group. We're all friends, so the story tends to twist when everyone doesn't know what exactly happened. There was no alcohol involved. And My friend Ashley (Driver) had a asthma attack and my friend Paula (Passenger) has a broken leg and she is doing fine and will be going in to surgery next week. So before you call people "AZZHAT" camp racer please know your story right...

I want to say Thanks to everyone who was there that helped us with everything. It just sucks that it took the Ambulance over an hour to get there. Someone could be dying and they would've taken for ever to get there. Flight for life was waiting at Kanab but that doesn't make things right. Honestly, I think that they should ALWAYS have a ambulance waiting at the sheriff's station. Again, I want to say THANK YOU to the people who have helped us. Without you guys I probably wouldn't have my friends here.

EDIT: Also someone here said that the Rangers tried to talk to the "Friends of the two girls who crashed" was playing beer pong. Those guys that were playing beer pong next to that huge has toy hauler weren't even our friends. We don't even know who those guys are. Our friends were the ones in the 2 rhinos (green and blue) and my bike and my fiance's bike (2 LTR's). We are the group... We have no affiliation with those guys in that huge toy hauler that the ranger was talking to. By the way, The ranger was going to play beer pong with the guys but supposedly he said he was in his uniform so he couldn't. WTF??

I like how everyone talks sh*t but you guys don't even know what happened... Please get your story strait before you go off mouthing about how much of an idiot we are.. I hauled a$$ to Kanab to meet my friends to make sure they are okay... so I DO GIVE A F**K.

l_9509f59c983e038f72ba3a52b259ea4d.jpg

l_c04eb6841de764299b7a4c8a5fe5883f.jpg

Edited by Suzuki450Chick

By the way, I'll probably get banned for what I have just posted because you guys would probably hate me because I told the truth, but what ever. We were there to have a good time and it was unfortunate that this happened. It could've happened to ANYONE.. Rhino's are top heavy and they can flip/tip easily. Just be GLAD that they are okay and we're all back home. Paula was flight for life to St. George and the doctors and nurses at St. George pretty much gave Paula's boyfriend a hint to DRIVE HER BACK TO VEGAS... Because it's going to be cheaper than sending her in a ambulance or helicopter.. What kind of hospital does that??

Suzuki450Chick, you aren't getting banned for anything you have just posted. That's not how this site works. Why would we hate you because you told the truth? That makes no sense.

Please accept my apologies for what I said about the "azzhat" comment. The story I heard was the Rhino that rolled was the jackass that was blasting through camp all weekend. He came around making all kinds of dust and roosting our friends motorhome. I sure hope that guy wasn't your freind because he was disrespectful as hell!!! That's the AZZHAT I was referring to. Maybe he wasn't even affiliated with you guys. Who knows. :laughoff:

Also, some people that saw it said it looked like the girls had their feet up on the dash and weren't even belted in. I know how quickly stories can change when told through a couple people. I wasn't there to witness it first hand and again, my appologies for the comment I made.

I hope your friends recover quickly. Sucks to see or hear of anyone getting hurt and I AM GLAD they are ok.

Wow...trip report went south REAL quick! :laughoff::laughoff:

:laughoff::laughoff:

Looks like an awesome weekend you guys had there.

Wow, what a beautiful place to ride. :lol::mc::mc:

Glad someone's gettin' their sandfix taken care of. :flatbiller: lol

Sorry to hear about your friend's accident Suzuki450Chick. :(

Never good to hear someone got hurt.

Thanks for the HolyCow pic. and the rest of em' too. :censored:

R-

The rhino that tipped was at coral pink for only 3 hours before that happend. And my other friends rhino was pretty much at our camp the whole time. Other people were taking their rhino out as well so I dunno if it was someone else or not. Apologies accepted... I was just getting aggervated from everyones story this weekend. I over heard a bunch of people saying that my friends deserve what they got for having fun in the mud. Wait until something like that happening to yourself or someone you know or someone close to you. There were a few people that actually stopped by our camp to ask how my friends were doing the next day. I picked Ashley up from. Kanab hospital that night and she only has bruising from the seat belt. By the way, driving from kanab back to coral pink at 10pm sucks... so dark.. Almost got lost.. And I was worried about hitting some bulls.

I am glad your friends are going to be okay!!!

Did your friends have the Rhino with the "sport cage"(it just slopes in the back)that had 4 guys hanging from the back of it to wheelie it and be idiots? They also had the 2 black 50's that came flying by our camp causing all the dust and then went down the highway...typical flatbiller a-holes!!!!!

Why would you drive through the water anyways?? Its a water supply for the cattle!!!

You wont change my mind because I got my info from the guy camped right infront of the pond that you guys where pissing off all weekend.

He and his buddy was helping the rangers help the girls.

By the way...If no alcohol was involed how much of that keg did you bring back???

Dunefreak----->

Wow...trip report went south REAL quick! :laughoff:

You can say that again :lol: Im glad you guys all had fun and for the most part made it back safe. Looks like there was some good riding to be had. All the finger pointing isnt going to help anything and just turn into alot of useless drama(although entertaining).I think everyone here is guilty of doing something maybe not so bright at the dunes. I have for sure :laughoff: I hope the girl that got hurt is OK. Remember,thats somebodies daughter. Just hope one day thats not your daughter out there doing keg stands or stoking fires with welders masks :laughoff::yiah:

i wasnt there not sure what happened.

but i do know the fastest way to piss everybody off is to camp race or play. it just isnt the place to do anything but put-idle out to the ride area. no one wants to hear or get the dust-mud from someone racing around camp. or the damage to their trucks and trailers from accidents or flying rocks. with all the sand out there why would anyone play in a parking lot? just doesn't seem very defendable. sorry people got hurt.