Camp host

I am not trying to start anything but I am curious as to what other people think and is there anything we can do about this problem ourselves.

While talking with the camp host this weekend he informed me that he has had to pay for tires for the rescue rhino out of hie pocket. This is the same rhino that helps get medical help to our fellow dunners when needed. He also told me that the blm finds no ergency to get supplies out to them when he request like fuel for the rhino the fencing that goes around his area to help keep it clear.

These people are not there to just clean bathrooms and crap like that. They go out of there way to help people when they need it.

Something to bring up for sure, I know they get a stipend for stuff, but none the less, they shouldn't be paying out of pocket. I'm sure we will come up with something....SF Woody :beercheers:

I'll also give him my number, I can run something out if he needs it....

Edited by wsky70

I am not trying to start anything but I am curious as to what other people think and is there anything we can do about this problem ourselves.

While talking with the camp host this weekend he informed me that he has had to pay for tires for the rescue rhino out of hie pocket. This is the same rhino that helps get medical help to our fellow dunners when needed. He also told me that the blm finds no ergency to get supplies out to them when he request like fuel for the rhino the fencing that goes around his area to help keep it clear.

These people are not there to just clean bathrooms and crap like that. They go out of there way to help people when they need it.

First thing that comes to mind is that they are not required to have a Rhino and the tires he put on his rhino were his choice not the BLM's. Although I am not speaking for them(BLM) I did send a copy of your post to them. I can't see a way for the BLM to legally purchase a set of tires for a non Goverment vehicle. If they can I would like a new set of paddles.

Don and Ellen do a great job and it is much appreciated by myself, the TRT and the dune users. However every year they seem to have a fresh set of "b*tches" I am not saying that they are not legitimate concerns but buying tires was their decision not a requirement for their position. They do get a Stipend for there services. That they go above and beyond is a great thing but again the BLM is required to operate inside a set of regulations dealing with spending.

I will pass along any info I get from the Barstow office regarding this.

Terry

I understand what you are saying and that is fine. They seem like realy good people that go out of there way to help others. If they are just bitching to be heard then owhale for them but this weekend seeing that the only way people could get medical help was from them bring it to them in the rhino that means something.

Here is the answer I got from BLM on this subject and as I thought the rhino and tires are a personal decision not a requirement of the job nor a goverment vehicle. Here is there response;

Thanks Terry,

We will see what we can do to make it better.

They did give us one list of supplies they wanted when they arrived a

little over a week ago. They did get those things. Then this weekend they

gave us another list of supplies. This list includes the fencing, etc.

and they will get those supplies. They have difficulty understanding that

the park rangers on site on the weekend can not just go out and buy stuff.

They have the bring the list back here for funding and do a purchase

requisition and then someone with purchase authority buys the stuff and the

park ranger takes it to them. Its not like a small family business, its a

process we need to follow. And it means that they will get the stuff a

week after they ask.

We can not buy things for their personal vehicles. We pay them a milage

rate that is very fair and they should be able to buy the fuel, oil, tires,

all the maintenance items for the vehicles that they want out of the

mileage rate funding. That is just the way it works for a government

agency. We can pay the milage rate, but can not buy things for a personal

vehicle. It is harder for some to understand what the mileage rate is for

than others.

And, just for your general information, they are maintenance workers by

their volunteer agreement. The rescue that they do is on their own, and

not part of their BLM responsibilities.

Lynnette

It's a shame they didnt reach out to us here on DDR BEFORE buying them, as I know of at least one set of those trying to sell, and I am sure we as a group could have got them some paddles for there rhino, or what ever they needed. because as we all know :chkn: :beercheers:

It's a shame they didnt reach out to us here on DDR BEFORE buying them, as I know of at least one set of those trying to sell, and I am sure we as a group could have got them some paddles for there rhino, or what ever they needed. because as we all know :chkn: :beercheers:

Exactly, We are the community and WE support what they are doing, and are always willing to help. Even though they might feel greedy or not want to get stuff from us. You would be surprised what people will give or help get.

Here is the answer I got from BLM on this subject and as I thought the rhino and tires are a personal decision not a requirement of the job nor a goverment vehicle. Here is there response;

Thanks Terry,

We will see what we can do to make it better.

They did give us one list of supplies they wanted when they arrived a

little over a week ago. They did get those things. Then this weekend they

gave us another list of supplies. This list includes the fencing, etc.

and they will get those supplies. They have difficulty understanding that

the park rangers on site on the weekend can not just go out and buy stuff.

They have the bring the list back here for funding and do a purchase

requisition and then someone with purchase authority buys the stuff and the

park ranger takes it to them. Its not like a small family business, its a

process we need to follow. And it means that they will get the stuff a

week after they ask.

We can not buy things for their personal vehicles. We pay them a milage

rate that is very fair and they should be able to buy the fuel, oil, tires,

all the maintenance items for the vehicles that they want out of the

mileage rate funding. That is just the way it works for a government

agency. We can pay the milage rate, but can not buy things for a personal

vehicle. It is harder for some to understand what the mileage rate is for

than others.

And, just for your general information, they are maintenance workers by

their volunteer agreement. The rescue that they do is on their own, and

not part of their BLM responsibilities.

Lynnette

Doesn't a Rhino have an odometer????????????????????? :beercheers: :chkn: :lol::lol:

I say we setup a Don & Ellen donation account (Paypal?). Then whenever someone has say 5 or 10 bucks they could spare they could just donate it online. Then, for example, when we reach 100 or 200 dollars, we could cash it out and bring it out to them courtesy of DDR in appreciation for what they do. Just a thought to help them out. They do voluntarily live out there all season and support what we do. It's the least we could do to return the favor.

I say we setup a Don & Ellen donation account (Paypal?). Then whenever someone has say 5 or 10 bucks they could spare they could just donate it online. Then, for example, when we reach 100 or 200 dollars, we could cash it out and bring it out to them courtesy of DDR in appreciation for what they do. Just a thought to help them out. They do voluntarily live out there all season and support what we do. It's the least we could do to return the favor.

Lets do it!

We can use the DDR Paypal account and I set this up so I can track each donation that is for Don & Ellen so we keep that $$ separate from our other "corporate money" or lack thereof :sleeping:

Otherwise we'd have to go through the whole process of settin up another account w/ Paypal. That is a big pain getting everything verified. :think:

Holy crap. All I gotta say is you people are truly awesome. I haven't even posted the link up yet and already the DDR paypal account has seen $110 in donations. wow. :ah:

If you feel like donating, just click the link and we'll see to it that Don and Ellen get your donation along with everyone else's.

donation link for camp hosts, Don & Ellen...

**removed***

hey Pete

I donated but it said sale, so hope you don't get dinged with a fee?

Not to be confused with sticker one, that was EZ PEZY (u had a dummy link) :driver:

maybe a link here to the Don and Ellen fund for donation.

:hello:

W.R.

Got it Paul...both of em. :driver: Thank you!

And yes there is a fee Paypal charges, but it it's minimal.

For transactions ($0.00 USD - $3,000.00 USD) it's 2.9% + $0.30 USD

Not really a big deal though. ;)