smudge pots at Dumont?

dunefreak

my family and i use them everywhere and we burn used veggie oil and it works really good no mess or dark clouds of smoke. just fill it up with veggie oil and start it with a diesel or gas wet rag.

How do you keep it from boiling over? I have tried oil and gas and saw someone else try the veggie oil. Always seems to get to a point that it boils over and makes a mess.

• 3 weeks later...

Been using mine for a few seasons now. Used veggie oil or used oil mixed with gas and you're good to go. Diesel works just as well.

Diesel will burn longer than straight gas but won't get as hot.

They are awesome on a cold night, no one has to fight the smoke alley blowing from a fire. Sure they don't replace a campfire but they are great for hanging out and socializing.

The air pollution thing came about because of what was being burned in them, it was like a tar oil substance. So if you picture 1000 smudge pots bellowing this black cloud over the crops every winter.

But one or two in a camp being used as a heater shouldn't be a problem.

I've been approached by rangers in Calico, they stopped and we talked about them...the rangers in the campground use them to stay warm.

Smudge on!

• 2 months later...

Kerosene will burn as hot as gas but as long as diesel in a smudge pot and no soot, if it's not too expensive. I have a washing machine tub with a hole in the bottom and it fit upside down on top of another one and we fed wood through the top, hot as hell, wind proof and smoke free.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know how or what to do with a smudgepot that leaks? was told about a drop in pan? is it a just drop in bucket or is it the same size as the original pan and it fully replaces the old 1?

Mine has a few small holes and I want to get them to stop leaking. I tried the 9gal pan from Home Depot but My smudgepot boiled over and made a mess

any ideas?

Capt