smudge pots at Dumont?

dunefreak

Are the LEO's cool with them or do you think they'd give you a ticket? EVeryone uses them at Glmais and I don't think they are a problem down there. :booty:

Just curious because there's a guy selling a whole chitload of em and I might pick one up. :beercheers:

For those that don't know what a smudge pot is it burns just about any type of fuel or oil and puts off alot of heat. Cool to look at too. :beercheers:

post-3-1224484773_thumb.jpg

a friend of mine from high school had one in his backyard. those things put out a lot of heat for what you put in them. we just burned straight diesel, but this was when #2 was like 50-60 cents a gallon

im sure you got the hookup on liquid to burn :B

i looked over @ GD.com for any "legal" issues...and found none

I know wtf they are and what they are used for. I need to know if anyone uses theirs at Dumont. Lots of responses here and yet still no answers. :chkn: :beercheers:

Next question would be how much can you pick them up for Pete? Maybe you could snag a few of them for some of your peeps if the price were right...

There's a guy on GD who owns a grove that is selling them for 50 bucks each. He has about a thousand of them. He's also on DDR I think. (atlas)

I like a good old fashion fire. We take enough chit as it is. Beside how do make Smores over a Smudgepot.

It wouldn't be to replace the campfire. It would be in addition to the fire. It puts off more heat han a fire for those cold azz nights out there. I know what you mean. I still ike an old fashion campfire.

The only ISSUE i can see which was mentioned was somewhere in the rules it stipulates you cannot burn gas oil or any other hazardous material in a camp fire.. Kinda like how bert got busted with the magnesium.. its all in the same catagory.. However since this isnt in a campfire and its completely contained i dont think it would be much of an issue but i could see some dumb rookie trying to push the issue and cite people.

i see it as an excuse for rangers to come into camp to look for other issues................................ :beercheers:

another direction that could be taken is the fire tubbies, or build one yourself for cheap.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4406449_washing-ma...um-firepit.html

my neighbor has one... takes it to the dunes. he welded some rebar on the bottom for legs, and sits about 2 feet off the sand. heat radiates all around in a 360 degree fashion, while the smoke goes straight up, not sending you and all you clothes smelling like campfire

Edited by richard cheese

I wonder how drain oil would work one? (i'm sure we all have lots of it)

if you do it right,yes. if you don't you will FOR SURE piss A LOT of peeps off. it took me a few tries to get it right and yes i upset my share of peeps. i would love to know if it is legal at Dumont, i have seen peeps get tickets for starting their fire with gas there.

AQMDForm400_E_23.pdf

:ah: :ah: :ah: :ah: :ah: :ah: :ah:

. The Orange County Air Pollution Control District and seven other Districts in California adopted regulations banning the use of dirty fuels and smoke-producing smudge pots (SCAQMD, 2002).

I'm pretty sure that they are not legal to use!

Edited by mredgy

Are the LEO's cool with them or do you think they'd give you a ticket? EVeryone uses them at Glmais and I don't think they are a problem down there. :lol:

Just curious because there's a guy selling a whole chitload of em and I might pick one up. :beercheers:

For those that don't know what a smudge pot is it burns just about any type of fuel or oil and puts off alot of heat. Cool to look at too. :chkn:

post-3-1224484773_thumb.jpg

I wonder how they work at eliminating the dust when the wind blows! :?: :lol::bs::shake::old::usa:

AQMDForm400_E_23.pdf

. The Orange County Air Pollution Control District and seven other Districts in California adopted regulations banning the use of dirty fuels and smoke-producing smudge pots (SCAQMD, 2002).

Do you think that that applys to San Bernandino Co. That's Dumont, and what about the central valley with all the orchards.??????? :beercheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Seen quite a few of them in use.

We'd love to find a cheap one.

Diesel fuel and cooking oil work teriffic in them.

Reminds me of the movie where they lit of thousnads of them to the move earth outta the way of a deadly approaching asteroid.

I wanna see pete stand there & lite his Cigarette with it.

Do you think that that applys to San Bernandino Co. That's Dumont, and what about the central valley with all the orchards.??????? :rockwoot:

The San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District has pretty much banned all Ag burning these days. That's why there are so many of those for sale now. Most fruit orchards here use wind machines and sprinklers to regulate air temps.

AQMDForm400_E_23.pdf

I'm pretty sure C.A.R.B is behind this to. Right now are they inforceing the rule state wide or on BLM land I dont think so. But legal, not in Kalifornia.

I do know in the Porterville area farmers are haulin them to scrap now fearing later on they would have to dispose of them as hazard waist later on.

How are they dirty? Mike330R's seems clean everytime we use it. :beerpint: Hey Eric...mind picking it up for me? The guy selling them, atlas, lives in Redlands. :laughing: :laughing: Otherwise OGP said he could. I think I'm gonna pick one up regardless.

We were burning diesel, and the left-over soot was a mess. i can pick it up no prob, just work it out with him and PM me the info. I can bring it out on the 7th. :laughing:

ahh that's probably why then. WIth gasoline it burns pretty dang clean.

Thanks I will let ya know. :laughing: