LT Car runs over qwad rider...

Sand Saw

Sunday, mid day at Comp, we are sitting at the top getting ready to do some more helmet cam recording when my buddy points down the hill and yells...

Theres a blue and yellow qwad, under a big 4 seater LT car. The kid on the qwad was 14 and just racing up Comp when the LT came wheelie'ng up behind him and ran him over. I was one of the first on seen. The kid seemed to be ok, he was able to tell me what day it was, his name, etc. Sheriffs arrived about 5 minutes later as did some of the kids family and was taken down the hill.

Anyone know the outcome? We left after turning the kid over to the parents/Sheriff.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scary. Hope the kid on the QUAD is ok.

Just another reason why NOT to wheelie on big weekends or where riders are present.

I think I wheelie just as much as anyone out there, but I can SEE just fine when im doing it (bike). Unless the rails have expanded steel floors or something, I dont see how you could see where you are going at all??

Busy weekend or 3 guys in the whole place, I wouldnt wheelie a CHAIR with a blind fold!! :driver:

I think I wheelie just as much as anyone out there, but I can SEE just fine when im doing it (bike). Unless the rails have expanded steel floors or something, I dont see how you could see where you are going at all??

Busy weekend or 3 guys in the whole place, I wouldnt wheelie a CHAIR with a blind fold!! :driver:

Exactly my point. ;)

Sunday, mid day at Comp, we are sitting at the top getting ready to do some more helmet cam recording when my buddy points down the hill and yells...

Theres a blue and yellow qwad, under a big 4 seater LT car. The kid on the qwad was 14 and just racing up Comp when the LT came wheelie'ng up behind him and ran him over. I was one of the first on seen. The kid seemed to be ok, he was able to tell me what day it was, his name, etc. Sheriffs arrived about 5 minutes later as did some of the kids family and was taken down the hill.

Anyone know the outcome? We left after turning the kid over to the parents/Sheriff.

we were leaving about that time. an ambulance was coming in as we were going out. may have been why. hope he is ok.

not the same incident, but this was uploaded to youtube not too long ago :beercheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoUtBqePjqE

On You Tube the title says..."He didnt see my Spotter"

Umm, isn't the spotter suppossed to SEE him and prevent the jumper from jumping if te ecoast isn't clear. :driver: If there was a spotter, one or both of those riders hould have been stopped.

This act of doing wheelies @ comp is just plain stupid. Watched the kid get ran over last halloween. It amazes me that some people insist on doing this. It does not impress me at all to see someone put innocent people in danger :banghead:. I have an ideer lets go out in the dunes (for those comp hill wheelie riders, those are the hills out there that you have to turn right & left to go through). The group that I (dune) with see these people as having short man syndrome & we don't mean height. So for those that do this, I hope your insurance is good cause, it is not when, its how bad!

When I talked to the Sheriffs, they seemed very interested in the "details"...I wonder if they cited the LT driver for due care, I would have. It would have been one hell of a shame had that 14 year old child been maimed/paralyzed/killed just because some dude wanted to show off his wallet...

Glad to hear the kid is ok. Wheelies up comp are diffinately questionable. These cars are so fast they close in on others very rapidly. The drivers aren`t planning for these incidents, sometimes maybe just bad judgement.

Edited by buggydr

i know in this case it was the driver of the cars fault. but for some reason most people just think the sand cars should watch out for them since they are smaller but the riders are just as responsible for watching out for the cars as the cars are watching out for the riders. and then when i was riding in big cars its like every quad or dirtbike we came across just came right toward us or stopped like a deer in the headlights, i dont know about you guys but if i see a big car and he cant see me i get my :headbang1: out of the way or get a good distance away if i want to watch just not stop in the middle of the road . and quads going up comp the same time as the cars is not very smart either, they should wait till the cars come down till they go up. just my :banghead:

A lot of times the people who screech to a hault dont do it to check out your ride, they do it because they get scared. It is EVERYONES responsibilty to watch out for eachother. The cost of an error on a bike compaired to a car, are 2 different things and must be accounted for. The responsibilty increases exponentially with the size and power of the machine... :banghead:

We saw the whole thing happentwo kids racing on quads went up

first. then the two buggies were racing up behind them the guy in

the blue/silver was pulling a wheelie in 2nd then brought it down

for a second at which time he had to have seen the kid in front of

him hit 3rd pulled a wheelie and came down on the back of the kid

in my opinion he didnt want to lose the race very sad and very

STUPID.

A lot of times the people who screech to a hault dont do it to check out your ride, they do it because they get scared. It is EVERYONES responsibilty to watch out for eachother. The cost of an error on a bike compaired to a car, are 2 different things and must be accounted for. The responsibilty increases exponentially with the size and power of the machine... :banghead:

well they are in more danger if they stop in the middle of the path where they could get ran over tanh if they just keep riding, dont ya think? just because you have a big car doesnt mean you have to watch out and be more careful yeah you need to be more aware when you are going at high speeds but when you are just riding around it should be the same as the next guy. im just sayin when i ride i watch out for what could run me over cuz im really not going to hurt the car if i hit it.

The whole deal with riding wheelies up the hill is just plan stupid!!!!!!!! :headbang1: Like duneduc said we sat there at the hill Saturday and watched these guys ride there wheelies up the hill nearly missing people & turn around & do it again, just completely out of control, & the sad part is some of these guys are here on the board, :headbang1: & they know who they are, & the bottom line is its just not cool anymore!!

I have an idea! Dumont has banshee hill, so lets come up with LT wheelie hill & they can just take each other out not some kid on a quad or dirt bike.

We all need to be safe out there & have a great season doing what we all love to do. :banghead:

well there is another problem. cars have just as much right to take up the whole hill just like quads do. yes i understand that still doesnt make it right for cars to wheelie while quads are on the hill. but why should quads get to take up the whole comp hill and keep cars for doing what they are made to do?

i already talked about this in the halloween trip report thread, but since theres a specific thread about it i will take the opportunity to get on my soapbox again. dumazz.....they are fun to watch, but they are what they are. when your front tires are 10 feet off the ground you can't see where yer going....been talking about this for a year now. this makes 3 times quad gets run over by wheelie-ing sandrail. i see it as stupid as do many of the people i have talked to about it....pair that up with the fact that probly half of em are legally drunk.....sheesh. in my book, if your sandrail does wheelies you need to work on your weight distribution. i like to show off too, but not risking others lives in the process(hopefully).

The whole deal with riding wheelies up the hill is just plan stupid!!!!!!!! :headbang1: Like duneduc said we sat there at the hill Saturday and watched these guys ride there wheelies up the hill nearly missing people & turn around & do it again, just completely out of control, & the sad part is some of these guys are here on the board, :headbang1: & they know who they are, & the bottom line is its just not cool anymore!!

I have an idea! Dumont has banshee hill, so lets come up with LT wheelie hill & they can just take each other out not some kid on a quad or dirt bike.

We all need to be safe out there & have a great season doing what we all love to do. :banghead:

Couldn't have said it better!!!!!!!!!!!!

We saw the whole thing happentwo kids racing on quads went up

first. then the two buggies were racing up behind them the guy in

the blue/silver was pulling a wheelie in 2nd then brought it down

for a second at which time he had to have seen the kid in front of

him hit 3rd pulled a wheelie and came down on the back of the kid

in my opinion he didnt want to lose the race very sad and very

STUPID.

I didn't see it but i would hate to think (and HIGHLY doubt) that the sandrail driver SAW the kid and ran him over anyway.

as far as wheelies go...

I think they're okay, just not when the hill is busy...

seeing a big azz offroad car with a blown v8 stand straight up in a wheelie is one of the sickest things i have ever seen...and enjoy watching it...

but dont be a dic*,,,, make sure the hill is clear.