Onan 5500 won't run

BudlightBob

I've got an Onan 5500 generator that won't run. Cleaned the carberator out a few times. Still will only run if I hold the choke on. Any idea's?????? Thanks. Bob. :dunno:

I thought you were a generator tech? Quit being a pu$$y and fix it!!!!!!!!!!!

Well if it is like my onan and sat for a while without being ran, you have a more serious/expensive problem on your hands. If I can remember correctly the onan's carb has such a small jet that once it is clogged the carb is worthless. I cleaned my carb several times, and tried to clean the jet out with no luck. I could get mine to start but it would not idle or stay running unless I held it wide open. Good luck.

Edited by lindernglamis

I don't have an Onan, but I had a similar problem. There's a fuel solenoid underneath the bowl on the carb (on mine) that seemed to be the problem. A couple taps with a BFH and bada-bing. I tried to get the fuel solenoid from Generac, but they'll only sell you the entire carb. So now I have an $89 carb just in case. Maybe the Onan has a similar set-up.

I don't have an Onan, but I had a similar problem. There's a fuel solenoid underneath the bowl on the carb (on mine) that seemed to be the problem. A couple taps with a BFH and bada-bing. I tried to get the fuel solenoid from Generac, but they'll only sell you the entire carb. So now I have an $89 carb just in case. Maybe the Onan has a similar set-up.

Its the filter!

Well if it is like my onan and sat for a while without being ran, you have a more serious/expensive problem on your hands. If I can remember correctly the onan's carb has such a small jet that once it is clogged the carb is worthless. I cleaned my carb several times, and tried to clean the jet out with no luck. I could get mine to start but it would not idle or stay running unless I held it wide open. Good luck.

I believe that is the easily overlooked idle jet that needs to be blown out.

Also, jumper the low oil shut off deadman switch.

wut do ya expect...it was made in the us :thumb:

yeah we had the same problem...tried starting it up at the beginning of the season

started for a lil bit then turned off.

too much old gas in the tank...just put 25 new gallons in and it ran like a champ :thumb:

just a suggestion :thumb:

I paid a mobile mechanic to come out and take the carb out and clean it. The jets were clogged he put it back together and the 5500 has run great ever since. He charged me 200.00 well worth it...

For $200 you could have bought a new carb and did it yourself.

Well when you are not sure if the problem is the carb to buy a new one and hope that it fixes the problem isn't very smart. :beercheers: I try to leave it up to the professionals. :beercheers:

That's true, I wasn't tyring to bag on you.