poker run feedback

dunefreak

Just curious what everyone thought of the 1st annual Dumont Dunes poker run last weekend? Did everyone have fun? :D

Next year we have some ideas to make it that much better. There might be some small games at each checkpoint such as putt putt golf, trivia, etc. We almost had a line on a caterer this year to grill up some good grub, but something came up and he couldn't make it.

Just looking for a little feedback while the poker run is still fresh in your heads so we can have a head start for next year on what to plan for. :dunno:

Thanks

I would say plan it when my wife and kid don't get sick ! :dunno:

Wish i could have made it out so i could give input ! :black:

COPOUT ^^^^^^ :flipoff::clap:

Okay, for real. The run was kickazz ! The post that was listed by the south pole was a little misleading. I did not introduce myself but ran into sand snake and randingle on the path. They lost their women somewhere and I told them they were sitting back at the south pole. They met up and I watched them crest dunes and look confused for a while. We went back as I was looking for the flattest path to make my girl feel good. She's still nervous after her wreck on opening weekend and her almost sure surgery on her hand :ah: (WE WILL KNOW ABOUT THE SURGERY IN A WEEK) It just seemed like that was a confusing stop for most. All in all the poker run was awesome, with the exception of me not getting crap in ten hands I had and Britincali thinking the DDR runs suck, posted on another site :lol:

Edited by desertrider71

more to do, or see, or get at the check points.

i know people were very happy to be given DDR stickers. both people already on the site and people interested in signing up.

a sign board with the info we are trying to get out and maybe some fun dumont fax.

a list of closed dunes like dune guide has so people can see closers has and can happen again.

bigger pay out advertise it and more people will show up.

national sponsorship $$ red bull, monster, rocky mountain? see who is sponsoring the racers (qwad and mx) and hit them up.

:shout:

i know people were very happy to be given DDR stickers. both people already on the site and people interested in signing up.

a sign board with the info we are trying to get out and maybe some fun dumont fax.

a list of closed dunes like dune guide has so people can see closers has and can happen again.

national sponsorship $$ red bull, monster, rocky mountain? see who is sponsoring the racers (qwad and mx) and hit them up.

And a guide to the hotspots at Kelso ! :dunno::flipoff:

Poker run was awesome. :flipoff: I would suggest to have raffle tickets sold at each check point and not only at the registration check point. Also maybe a prize for worst hand. This is what comes to mind today. :dunno: Will post up new thoughts tomorrow. :lol:

Edited by jakster884

Poker run was awesome. :lol: I would suggest to have raffle tickets sold at each check point and not only at the registration check point. Also maybe a prize for worst hand. This is what comes to mind today. :dunno: Will post up new thoughts tomorrow. :clap:

A winner for the worst hand. That is awesome ! I think I won under your rules ! Much props Jakster ! Me likes ! :flipoff:

I agree with the bigger payout. Also maybe better maps. More literature in the checkpoints. Im not sure what was out there cause I wasnt able to get around to the check points.

Also have food & drinks could be good to. I also think maybe a prize for the worst hand might be nice also. We actually had ALOT of people ask if there was a prize for that. I think all and all for the 1st one it was very successful and didnt have to many bumps in the road. I do think it was very well organized!!! :dunno:

Also I think the raffle prizes were great, but was kinda sucky that the grand prize for the actual poker run wasnt even close to comparable to the raffle prize. Maybe we can find another way to work that next year if we have another raffle!

Just my .02 cents. Cant wait for next year!

:lol:

I agree that the check points should have better or more easily accessible information or more stuff to do. At each station there were so many people waiting to get cards and all the people providing info were super busy talking. Sign boards would be very helpful.

A better map/directions :black: the south pole :black:

Snacks, drinks, candy or something like that at the check points might be nice for the kiddies and fat guys.

Maybe some advertising on the local radio stations or the local news?

Prizes, I got the whip I wanted :dunno: , but maybe things more universal or raffle buckets, like they do at clean-up, for each item so people who don't own a RZR/Rhino don't win parts for it.

Everyone loves t-shirts, maybe sell cheap shirts at the registration booth for an extra $5-10, I know they are an additional cost :lol:

Better timing as in the weekend it is held...seems there would be better turn out if it was on a usual weekend such as Kick-off, instead of between weekends on an off weekend when people are too :clap: .

:flipoff:

All in all had a great time! My only complaint is that some people that bought multiple hands were drawing their cards and then deciding which sheet the cards would go best on. I feel you should give your sheet to the person at the checkpoint and then pick your card. I think this makes it more competitive and fair, especially for people who can't afford multiple hands.

My only opinion on this is set a firm price for the hands. My group and I thought it was $20 per hand. We came to find out that people were getting 3 or 4 hands for under $60. I may be blind, but I did not see anywhere other prices for multiple hands.

It was a gfood turn-out and a good time though!!!!!!

:moon: :fro_smokin: :beercheers::laughoff::usa:

20 bucks for the first hand and 10 bucks for every hand after that or 5 for 50 was the way it was setup and was marked at the registration booth. Maybe someone at the registration booth got confused??

Thanks for clearing that up. I did not see that at the registration booth and niether did my friends. :beercheers: Next year I will know.

My only opinion on this is set a firm price for the hands. My group and I thought it was $20 per hand. We came to find out that people were getting 3 or 4 hands for under $60. I may be blind, but I did not see anywhere other prices for multiple hands.

It was a gfood turn-out and a good time though!!!!!!

:think: :fro_smokin: :beercheers::blury::laughoff:

Im pretty sure we were quite thorough (sp) with explaining the hands and the costs. People were trying to come back after the fact and add to their hands. We felt after they left the table they needed to start over. Maybe that was our bad. I apologize for any confusion. We were definately trying to push the 5 for $50 to everyone

All in all had a great time! My only complaint is that some people that bought multiple hands were drawing their cards and then deciding which sheet the cards would go best on. I feel you should give your sheet to the person at the checkpoint and then pick your card. I think this makes it more competitive and fair, especially for people who can't afford multiple hands.

at our checkpoint, We took all five poker run cards from the people that had multiple hands. I took one and handed it to woody. He told the person draw a card. We then marked the poker run card and put the playing card back into the deck. Then went to the next hand. Everyone had the exact same chance. Wether it was a single hand player or a multiple hand player. FAIR IS FAIR/

Im pretty sure we were quite thorough (sp) with explaining the hands and the costs. People were trying to come back after the fact and add to their hands. We felt after they left the table they needed to start over. Maybe that was our bad. I apologize for any confusion. We were definately trying to push the 5 for $50 to everyone

That worked out perfectly for my family-a poker hand per person. The wifey drew for me since I was working a checkpoint.

at our checkpoint, We took all five poker run cards from the people that had multiple hands. I took one and handed it to woody. He told the person draw a card. We then marked the poker run card and put the playing card back into the deck. Then went to the next hand. Everyone had the exact same chance. Wether it was a single hand player or a multiple hand player. FAIR IS FAIR/

And that's how it should be!! Not fair and too time consuming to do it any other way!

Maybe next year do it as a point system instead of a poker hand. Roll dice at one checkpoint, draw from dominoes, cards at another, etc. Prize for the highest points and one for the lowest. Cut and dry and no "I already drew that card, I want to draw again".

:think::blury::beercheers::laughoff: