F18 jet crash in San Diego neighborhood

dunefreak

Anyone hear about this chit? :ah:

Pilot was able to eject. Not sure if anyone on the ground is hurt yet. At least 2 or 3 homes destroyed. Hope everyone is ok!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7772344.stm

I already checked with bp-guy and he's ok. Not sure about anyone else from DDR who's from San Diego. I know ltr450 is from near there too.

Dam Your QUick!!!!! :laughoff:

haha, it was lunchtime when I got a text from monkie about it. I was coming home for lunch, flipped on the TV, and posted it up. DDR has been known to post up news before the news stations. :offtopic: "keeping you connected with anything that is happening." :laughing"

Just confirmed 2 dead 1 house destroyed.

:( sad

SO sad :(

"The victims were a mother, one of her children and the child's grandmother, said Maurice Luque, a spokesman for the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department. A search for a possible fourth victim in the same home, a child, was suspended at 6 p.m. Monday and will resume Tuesday morning, he said."

ALMOST made it... :(

"The pilot told several witnesses that the jet lost its first engine over the Pacific Ocean, and a decision was made to try to return to Miramar MCAS on one engine. The second engine failed when the plane was on final approach, he said."

Props the the pilot for trying to save it and waiting until the last second to eject.

"Connor said the plane was just seconds from the ground when the pilot ejected, landing in a canyon a few blocks from University City High School.

“He was trying to get (the plane) to the canyon,” Connor said. “He held on as long as could. At the last second, the pilot parachuted out.”

Steve Diamond, a retired naval aviator, witnessed the crash and went to the aid of the pilot, whom he described as a Marine Corps lieutenant in his 20s. Diamond said the pilot told him about the jet's engine problems.

Connor said the plane was smashed to pieces, with a turbine from an engine the only part that Connor said he could distinguish. A box of electronics was atop some shrubbery.

“Everything was just mangled aluminum,” he said.

more here...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/2...bn08plane5.html

I feel sorry for the family of the victims.

A half mile sooner and he would have hit the school. I just wonder why if he had engine troubles he didn't return to the ship he launched from? Unless the ship was too far to reach and Miramar was closer. But why risk a community when you know you have a problem?

Not to monday Quarterback the pilot, He did what he could with what he had left, and it could have gotten real bad.

A half mile sooner and he would have hit the school. I just wonder why if he had engine troubles he didn't return to the ship he launched from? Unless the ship was too far to reach and Miramar was closer. But why risk a community when you know you have a problem?

Not to monday Quarterback the pilot, He did what he could with what he had left, and it could have gotten real bad.

Dont forget NASNI (Naval Air Station North Island) as well, which is right on the water.

i heard on the radio this morning he had left the ship to do a training exercise and the ship was already to close to port where it was returning. so he was told to go to Miramar.they had also said he was only 20` off the ground when he ejected.no one knew the other engine was going to blow.bad deal all the way around.when i was coming home from work it had just happened,so i could see the smoke. :think:

miramar has been a touchy subject in that area for years. very active base in a rich area. i know they like the jobs but this crash will open the discussion about closing it again for sure.

Miramar USED to be out in the country away from any habitation. The Navy, then the Marine Corps, did it that way for safety purposes. Urban sprawl moved people right up to the fenceline. This brings to mind the people that sprawl out towards airports that used to be out of the city for twenty years then complain about the noise. Freakin' tards. :censored:

We've got folks who've lived here in the High Desert for five years starting to complain about the noise generated by the Marines training at a base that has been here since 1940!

It's simple-If you don't like Africans don't move to Zimbabwe! :laughing::offtopic: :B

If you don't like the sounds of Freedom don't move outside the gates of a base...

Edited by aceisback

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/28157291#28157291

Immigrant doesn't blame pilot for deadly crash

‘I don't have any hard feelings,’ he says after wife, 2 kids and relative killed

Young Mi Yoon's husband defended the pilot Tuesday.

"I don't have any hard feelings," Dong Yun Yoon, 37, told reporters near the rubble where his home once stood. "I know he did everything he could."

"Please pray for him not to suffer from this accident," Dong Yun Yoon said. "I know he is one of our treasured for the country."

Dong Yun Yoon, who left Korea in 1989 and became a U.S. citizen, wondered aloud how he would persevere after losing his family.

"Please tell me how to do it," he said, surrounded by his pastor, sister, brother and church members. "I don't know what to do."

Very Humbling to here this.

Sounds like a Bad choice made by the pilot and the air traffic controller. Why would anyone guide a plane with known engine problems over homes? Sounds like a fuel issue to me. Nick is right, they should have sent him to North island to land. One approach is over water and 90% or more over water on the other. Miramar approach is all over land. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.