Could this happen at Dumont?

Some of us on here have heard of some of the ideas being tossed around for getting The D shut down and we all think that it is not going to happen or will be sometime in coming. We've been hearing about "The Fence" and didn't think it would happen, or that they would still allow us access. Here's a nice little letter that I recieved from ASA today.

You can move this if you need to Pete. I just thought it important that our fellow DDR members see that the will of those who want to restrict our sport can be done.

Dear Fellow aSa Member,

We have just received updated information regarding Union Pacific Railroad’s (UPRR) fence project from the BLM. As many of you might already be aware, UPRR has been installing a fence just inside their property line which extends 100’ from the centerline of the rail road tracks and encompasses essentially all of Wash Road. This project started in mid-November and will extend from approximately Highway 78 to the south; ending-point unknown at this time.

Until recently, UPRR was honoring a commitment made to the BLM to continue to allow public access down Wash Road, leaving an opening at each wash to allow for vehicular access; some openings being narrower than others and some openings more accessible than others, depending on the flow of the wash. To minimize the impact of these restricted openings to thousands of ISDRA visitors, the BLM has begun the necessary environmental procedures to be able to grade some of these openings to allow for better access into various wash openings.

After this past weekend, it was brought to our attention that it appeared that UPRR was changing their plans and access was becoming more and more limited along Wash Road. BLM met with UPRR representatives on February 4th to discuss their project and their prior agreement to continue to allow access, only to find out that they had changed their position and will close the road to all public traffic at some point in the future.

At the urging of the local BLM office, UPRR has agreed to allow the use of this road, hopefully, for the rest of this dune season but in all likelihood will restrict access for the 2009-2010 season.

Again at the request of the BLM, the contractor will be enlarging some of the openings in the fence to allow for access during the upcoming Presidents’ Day holiday weekend. This improved access may, at some locations, not accommodate large motor homes or extremely long trailers.

The BLM has identified locations that they have prioritized for grading to remove berms to help improve access.

This is not the result that we hoped for but it is what we know at this point.

The ASA has been conferring with the BLM, our legislative contacts and our legal team to see what if anything can be done to allow continued use of UPRR’s right of way. We will also be working to see what it will take to have a new access road constructed on the BLM land to allow access to these traditional camping areas. The construction of a new access road is a long term solution to this problem.

The ASA has sent a letter to the UPRR management to express our concerns about the closing of this road to the public and the loss of access to recreation camping areas. This letter can viewed here:Letter to UP Railroad

In closing, please watch for updates via emails and/or the ASA's Bulletin Board as new information becomes available.

repost. This was posted in the Glamis section.

Kinda scary indeed. Amazing how fast and easy it can be done without any notice. This is why every time I ride at Dumont I ride like it is the last time it will be open. :beercheers: I live it up to the fullest. :beercheers:

Yeah, the info was posted for those of us that frequent both dunes. They are closing off the most used access to Glamis. Kind of like if they were to close off the entrance road to Dumont and you had to get there from Little Dumont Dunes. Some could make it, most could not.

Yeah, the info was posted for those of us that frequent both dunes. They are closing off the most used access to Glamis. Kind of like if they were to close off the entrance road to Dumont and you had to get there from Little Dumont Dunes. Some could make it, most could not.

Thanks for the clarification Ace. Semper Fi !

repost. This was posted in the Glamis section.

Kinda scary indeed. Amazing how fast and easy it can be done without any notice. This is why every time I ride at Dumont I ride like it is the last time it will be open. :beercheers: I live it up to the fullest. :beercheers:

Hell Yes!!!

Every time we go we enjoy the D to the fullest... Its not if the dunes will be closed down but more of if its in the budget...

:laughing:

what happened to the right of public access laws. ??? railroad did the same thing here in town in hesperia. the dam railroad cuts the town in half. and public access under the tracks was used for 40 plus years. then some idiot drove into the tunnel in a vehicle to tall. then the railroad got sued. so they closed it. the city never even tried to challenge it . there are clearly defined public access laws. but i wonder if lawsuits trump that :dunno

This railroad situation at glamis has been recovering from idiots every year either getting killed, hit or causing the train to d-rail. I think they have finally said enough is enough and unfortunatly i am sure even with the fence there will be some idiot who will climb the fence and get hit again.

When is enough enough and how many times do they need to turn there heads when someone gets hurt. As of know they are tired of turning there heads and solved the problem by blocking it.

We Can see the same thing at dumont with a totally different problem and we have to be pro active and make sure we educate the riders so they dont go to an extreme like closing something down. A good comparison is the out of bounds fences that are set up at dumont, if people keep riding out there they will say enough is enough and we are closing the whole place down because we are responseable adult who cant follow the rules they have set up...

For one thing this is a lesson learned and we need to be pro actie on all the issues at Dumont.. :laughing:

Edited by 1BADYFZ

I heard it was going to be closed down, but then again, it was heresay.

The reasoning that I heard was that the parents of the kids that got killed going around lowered bars at a railroad crossing by a train sued the railroad and WON.

Funny how lawsuits ruin it for everyone else.

Sheesh, here we go again. Where did anyone ever hear that there was a lawsuit from the kids parents? That was neglect/negligence no matter how you slice it and wouldn't even be allowed as a suit.

There has been plans since 2005 for Union Pacific to add a second set of tracks and with several derailments in the past couple of years they are covering their arses. Gotta have the room for additional bed work and to keep recreating citizens out of harms way.

BLM has known about this closure for sometime and dropped the ball on an alternative to the wash road users.

I repeat, there is NO lawsuit from the parents of the three children who lost their lives at the hiway crossing.

wuts the percentage of the population that rides and then add the percentage that supports the riders...can they really stop all of us from runnin through there?? gotta get more organized and storm the boundaries in large numbers...THEY CANT STOP ALL OF US!!!

• 7 months later...

FWIW….

1. The fence the RR erected along their property line has openings in it at each wash. So, there’s still a potential for idiots to collect “THEIR SIGN” and improve the gene pool by crossing the RR tracks in front of oncoming trains.

2. The double tracking project has been postponed indefinitely by the RR. Knowing the RR that means that it could be 10 yrs or they start tomorrow.

3.As pointed out, the parents of those 3 young children (15, 14 and 8 (or 10) have not sued the RR. That is admirable. However, there are other idiots, or survivors of idiots who may be suing that we don’t know about. (As an aside, I do have a deep compassion for the parents and their loss. But the driver still knew better. God created crossing gates for a flippin’ reason)

4.The ASA did initially pursue Public Right of Way legal action against the RR. Unfortunately, that required that we show substantial public use on that road PRIOR to 1970, which we were not able to do. So, no go.

5.I’ve got zero knowledge of Dumont’s issues, having only been there once, but I thought the main road in was on and crossed over BLM land. If it does, you don’t have a problem. If it is a private road, is on or crosses privately owned land, you DO have an issue and you need to seriously add it to your ‘TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT” list.

6.BLM has been working over the summer to build us Glamis folks a new Wash Road on BLM land into the Washes as far back as 25. The work is going well and should be ready for use by Halloween, if not sooner. I will be out there myself in a couple of weeks and will try to remember to bring you folks an update. Would like to note that I don't know where BLM found the $$$ for the new road. It is NOT coming from our Fee Parking Tax (pass) money and it s NOT coming from our Green Sticker fees. Go figure. It MAY be due to ASA's infulence in Washington, but I don't know, have to find out.

Hope this helps.

Edited by L&L Corvairs

well I am glad there is no rail road at dumont, but those environmental freaks do worry me

Well the ties are for the most part gone. The rail is gone but the railroad grade is still there. Those big :thumb: cuts and fills NE of the dunes weren't put there so you can trail ride. After you enter the pay station if you go to the left instead of up the hill, in other words up the gully....the big wall of dirt at the end is really a filled railroad bridge. On top of that fill on the dunes end the bridge timbers were coming through the dirt last time I was there.

So why should you give a :poop:? The wilderness area is defined as 50' east of the centerline of that grade which runs east of the dunes for the entire length of the area. A fact that seems to escape the notice of the BLM that put up the damn signs. One of the best examples of which was at the other end of the bridge and was located well WEST of the grade.

Eli