Upcoming HBO Movie

sand chick

A friend of mine sent this to me and I thought I would share.

Looks like an incredible movie.... I haven't been able to set it on the TiVo it yet, but I am definately planning on it..

Its got to be one of the best trailers for an upcoming HBO movie I have seen in a long time .......

:thumb::headbang1:

Taking Chance

• 2 weeks later...

HBO showed a sneak preview on base here in 29 Palms Tuesday evening. Chance Phelps was a Marine with 3rd Batallion/11th Marine Regiment based here. Lots of his friends and fellow Marines were in attendance along with us retirees and families. Lots of tears were shed, hands were held, and huggs were handed out. The impact of being in a theatre with so many that were directly affected by this story was immense.

I can't see watching it in the comfort of your living room having much of an impact with how numb we are after all of the trivialization that hollywood has instilled upon us with guts and gore. This is a story about the impact of life. The way that Lt. Col Strobl wrote and directed this film pays tribute to a great young man and doesn't glorfy the conflict in Iraq in any way, shape, or form.

If you are expecting a war movie with lots of shooting, explosions, blood and guts, and carnage, then this is not your movie. If you want to see the realities and the effects of the death of our young men and women in uniform then clear your mind and watch this movie.

I would like to hear some of your thoughts after you have viewed it. I know we have many active duty service men and women on this site and lots of Vets who will be deeply touched but I'd like to know if there is any respect and dignity left among our civilian population like that shown in this movie. I know it exist down South and in middle America, but how about out West here where our busy lives keep us from paying much attention to what affects most of our great Nation? Your responses will tell. I doubt many people will care. Prove me wrong...

Thanks Jodi for starting this topic, and for your appreciation of what the movie is about.

One Marines view.

Edited by aceisback

It will touch you, I've been on the end of that stick. Alot of friends still in 3/11, one of the best unit's I've been with over the years. My buddy was his Btry Gunny, called me and told me all about it, seen that chapel to many times for this type of thing, something you don't forget. Semper Fi, Woody

HBO showed a sneak preview on base here in 29 Palms Tuesday evening. Chance Phelps was a Marine with 3rd Batallion/11th Marine Regiment based here. Lots of his friends and fellow Marines were in attendance along with us retirees and families. Lots of tears were shed, hands were held, and huggs were handed out. The impact of being in a theatre with so many that were directly affected by this story was immense.

I can't see watching it in the comfort of your living room having much of an impact with how numb we are after all of the trivialization that hollywood has instilled upon us with guts and gore. This is a story about the impact of life. The way that Lt. Col Strobl wrote and directed this film pays tribute to a great young man and doesn't glorfy the conflict in Iraq in any way, shape, or form.

If you are expecting a war movie with lots of shooting, explosions, blood and guts, and carnage, then this is not your movie. If you want to see the realities and the effects of the death of our young men and women in uniform then clear your mind and watch this movie.

I would like to hear some of your thoughts after you have viewed it. I know we have many active duty service men and women on this site and lots of Vets who will be deeply touched but I'd like to know if there is any respect and dignity left among our civilian population like that shown in this movie. I know it exist down South and in middle America, but how about out West here where our busy lives keep us from paying much attention to what affects most of our great Nation? Your responses will tell. I doubt many people will care. Prove me wrong...

Thanks Jodi for starting this topic, and for your appreciation of what the movie is about.

One Marines view.

My friend who sent me the link originally has the same views on the "hollywood" verson of things, so when she sent it to me I knew it was going to be worth taking a look at, she has been a strong military wife all of her adult life, her husband is stationed there in 29 Palms and is almost retired. I spent many a night comforting her while he was deployed, but unless you or yours is actually deployed, you can't truely understand the magnatude of it. All I could do was just be there when she needed me.

Then I watched the trailer..and could barely make it through that.

I have more respect for those that have served, that are serving then anything else.

My friend who sent me the link originally has the same views on the "hollywood" verson of things, so when she sent it to me I knew it was going to be worth taking a look at, she has been a strong military wife all of her adult life, her husband is stationed there in 29 Palms and is almost retired. I spent many a night comforting her while he was deployed, but unless you or yours is actually deployed, you can't truely understand the magnatude of it. All I could do was just be there when she needed me.

Then I watched the trailer..and could barely make it through that.

I have more respect for those that have served, that are serving then anything else.

Jodi are you going to DVR this? I dont have HBO anymore and really wanna see this.

this was one of those movies where you even watched the credits because you didn't want to turn it off.

This movie hit home for me for a number of reasons, two big ones, I'm a former Marine, and second I'm from Wy. Each of those are a way of life that you can't explain to anybody unless you've lived them.

All I can say is Semper Fi Chance.... Semper Fi!!

i would like to watch this no hbo sure it will be on dvd soon.

i was glad to hear obama is going to change bush's policy. bush would not allow pictures of our fallen soldiers coffins returning home. the american people need to see the cost of war in human life.

^^^^^ Ditto^^^^ but I understand, he could have just used more tact!

I thought he held back quite well. Could've gotten ugly but he was on duty and you will see nothing but 100% professionalism from any Marine on duty. They have wands at the check points for a reason, seemed security just had a hair for him. Was part of the story so it had to be there.

Man, the trucker through the mountains, the parade of cars lined up, the tarmac workers, misty eyes all over again...

i would like to watch this no hbo sure it will be on dvd soon.

i was glad to hear obama is going to change bush's policy. bush would not allow pictures of our fallen soldiers coffins returning home. the american people need to see the cost of war in human life.

After i watched it i looked into buying the DVD but it said possible ship date of 05/19/09.

I thought he held back quite well. Could've gotten ugly but he was on duty and you will see nothing but 100% professionalism from any Marine on duty. They have wands at the check points for a reason, seemed security just had a hair for him. Was part of the story so it had to be there.

Man, the trucker through the mountains, the parade of cars lined up, the tarmac workers, misty eyes all over again...

Oh no Vic, you got me wrong, I meant the TSA could have used more tact! Anybody that does not want to get undressed to go thru the metal detector and chooses to be wanded is your option, that is what the TSA is there for if they don't like it get a new job lazy a$$

Oh no Vic, you got me wrong, I meant the TSA could have used more tact! Anybody that does not want to get undressed to go thru the metal detector and chooses to be wanded is your option, that is what the TSA is there for if they don't like it get a new job lazy a$$

Opps! Sorry, my bad. I'll sport the dunce cap for today. :thumb:

this was one of those movies where you even watched the credits because you didn't want to turn it off.

This movie hit home for me for a number of reasons, two big ones, I'm a former Marine, and second I'm from Wy. Each of those are a way of life that you can't explain to anybody unless you've lived them.

All I can say is Semper Fi Chance.... Semper Fi!!

Always a Marine Paul. Semper Fi.