DSLR camera tips, techniques, photo sharing, etc

dunefreak

Thanks Lee, Coming from a guy with ALOT of camera time means alot. Guess I am doing ok so far.

I tried taking pictures of my work softball team. Stills are easy but moving objects are very tough! But I like the challenge.

You have the 50D, right? So what lens you use for action? Side note, just heard a rumor that Canon is has the 60D ready to release soon, something around 8 fps and HD movie mode at 24 & 30 fps. Dang, my 40D will be 2 releases old :laughing:

Thanks Lee, Coming from a guy with ALOT of camera time means alot. Guess I am doing ok so far.

I tried taking pictures of my work softball team. Stills are easy but moving objects are very tough! But I like the challenge.

What mode do you use for action, Tim? Details on your settings will help give some pointers. ;)

You have the 50D, right? So what lens you use for action? Side note, just heard a rumor that Canon is has the 60D ready to release soon, something around 8 fps and HD movie mode at 24 & 30 fps. Dang, my 40D will be 2 releases old :think:

I think more importantly is what are your settings set at for action shots?

Yeah I heard about the 60D, but doesn't sound like anything I gotta have. Movie mode? :laughing:

What mode do you use for action, Tim? Details on your settings will help give some pointers. ;)

I think more importantly is what are your settings set at for action shots?

Yeah I heard about the 60D, but doesn't sound like anything I gotta have. Movie mode? :laughing:

Ditto, if I want video I'll get a dang video camera :blink::think:

I ask about the lens because of IS and focus is done in the lens and some of the lens' are just slow to focus. Need to know what he's got to know what he can do. My 24-70 2.8 L doesn't get any use for action, it doesn't seem as quick even close compared to the 70-200.

Edited by RUn2it

you guys Im pretty much a newb at digital photography, I did take photography classes in HS and College(when I went :laughing: )but that was back in the actual film days....I was looking at cameras to get back into it today(because of this thread...so thanks for the insp.) and I was looking at the nikon d40...question for you guys is ...is that a good beginner camera to play with or do I go with something else like????

I dont want to spend to much on one yet but would like to get something that can do a decent job....

TIA Bryan

Edited by Bryan M

you guys Im pretty much a newb at digital photography, I did take photography classes in HS and College(when I went :assblast: )but that was back in the actual film days....I was looking at cameras to get back into it today(because of this thread...so thanks for the insp.) and I was looking at the nikon d40...question for you guys is ...is that a good beginner camera to play with or do I go with something else like????

I dont want to spend to much on one yet but would like to get something that can do a decent job....

TIA Bryan

I can't comment personally on the Nikon D40. I don't know for sure if anyone that's posted uses a Nikon, know that there's at least 4 using Canon in the 40D/50D level. If the pros don't have a Canon they have a Nikon. I guess the reason I went with Canon is all the white lens' I saw at pro sports events are Canon and then started reading reviews. Monkey see .....

I ask about the lens because of IS and focus is done in the lens and some of the lens' are just slow to focus. Need to know what he's got to know what he can do. My 24-70 2.8 L doesn't get any use for action, it doesn't seem as quick even close compared to the 70-200.

I am pretty sure he only has the only lens right now. Same as my kit lens...28-135mm IS ;) MIne has worked pretty damn good (I think) for action shots. You saw the action shots I took of 3rotortrav with it right. :lol:

you guys Im pretty much a newb at digital photography, I did take photography classes in HS and College(when I went :assblast: )but that was back in the actual film days....I was looking at cameras to get back into it today(because of this thread...so thanks for the insp.) and I was looking at the nikon d40...question for you guys is ...is that a good beginner camera to play with or do I go with something else like????

TIA Bryan

I have heard fairly good stuff about the Nikon 40D, but I have no first hand experience here. If I was going to start with a less expensive camera, but wanted a DSLR that was of good qauilty to get into the hobby...I'd go with the Canon Rebel t1i. ;)http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...p;modelid=18385 Or just do like I did and go with the 50D. I love mine. :assblast:

thanks for the replys guys....I also looked at the canons but I think it was a lower model(rebel xs) than that Pete....just trying to keep it on a budget ...those canon 40d - 50d are upwards of $1000 arent they?

Lil more than I went to spend on a camera right now.

Yeah, i was using the 28-135 IS. I tried the C2 setting and the sport mode. I think the IS was left on at all times.

What did the pics look like, blurry from motion or maybe point of focus in front/behind subject? Check your settings for shutter half press etc, you don't want the focus or exposure to lock when following action. Mine is set for start metering & AF with half press. I use Tv (shutter speed priority) and the camera sets aperture for exposure, the viewfinder shows the f-stop & ISO for the speed you select. Try a shot then check the results by zooming in. the normal view can look alot better than when you see them on the computer. If this doesn't get you close post an example, somebody here will get you going. :assblast:

What did the pics look like, blurry from motion or maybe point of focus in front/behind subject? Check your settings for shutter half press etc, you don't want the focus or exposure to lock when following action. Mine is set for start metering & AF with half press. I use Tv (shutter speed priority) and the camera sets aperture for exposure, the viewfinder shows the f-stop & ISO for the speed you select. Try a shot then check the results by zooming in. the normal view can look alot better than when you see them on the computer. If this doesn't get you close post an example, somebody here will get you going. :assblast:

Here's an example of the blur I am referring to.

post-1872-1245532089_thumb.jpg

Tim, I opened up your pic in PS and looked at the data of that jpg. It shows your shutter speed was 1/30...way too low for action shots. Your camera selected that shutter speed because it was dark out and at that speed it will let in the proper amount of light for a good exposure. However, that is way too slow for fast moving objects.

You needed a faster shutter speed...plain and simple. Take it off sport mode and set it to TV (shutter priority mode). This way you can dial in your shutter to say about 400 or even as much as 600 . Then, since it was at night and lighting was low, you are going to need as much light as possible. That fast of a shutter speed won't allow for much light. Your camera will open the aperature up all the way in this case, but it might not be enough causing an underexposed picture. So you'll probably need to bump your ISO way up. It might even need to be up there pretty high which means you may get some slight noise or graininess, but the picture won't be blurry and it should look pretty good. When you have little lighting and require a fast shutter speed, this is where the high dollar lenses come into play. You need a large aperature (small number f stop) lens for more light. If you are limited to a smaller aperature, your only option is to bump that ISO up to make up for the lack of light.

I hope that makes sense. :D

Here is an example of a pic I took in almost the exact same lighting and situation.

Granted I took this pic with my $1700 lens lol, but the shutter speed was at 1/400 and ISO all the way up there at 2500. This was with my 70-200MM f/2.8 L lens so the aperature was fully open to 2.8.

normal_IMG_7380.JPG

I sound like RUn2it now. I guess I'm into it. :clown: :assblast:

You needed a faster shutter speed...plain and simple. Take it off sport mode and set it to TV (shutter priority

I sound like RUn2it now. I guess I'm into it. :clown: :MBdance:

It's about time ... :assblast::assblast: and I bet if you think about it, you feel like there's more that you don't know than when you 1st started taking pics with your 50D :mex::lol:

Well the TV setting did the trick. Set the shutter to 1/800 and the ISO to auto and here is the result--

I like how it freezes everything.

post-1872-1245896000_thumb.jpg

And the runners are nice and clear, no more blur even when running full speed.

post-1872-1245896170_thumb.jpg

Now they want me at every game to take pictures! I took 300 just at the last game.

Thanks for the tip Pete! :lol:

Now they want me at every game to take pictures! I took 300 just at the last game.

Thanks for the tip Pete! :mex:

No prob. :lol:

I bet the extra light helped this time as well. :D

Looks great, Tim. :lol: That's funny you say that. After shootin some shots at rogers807's boy's baseball game, all the parents wanted me at every game as well. :mex::mex::lol:

No prob. :lol:

I bet the extra light helped this time as well. :D

Looks great, Tim. :mex: That's funny you say that. After shootin some shots at rogers807's boy's baseball game, all the parents wanted me at every game as well. :mex::mex::lol:

I hear Van Halen I think ..... :lol:

Just from this pic that i took.. it looks like my my sensor is a little dirty...should i try to clean it myself or just send it off to be cleaned

post-3227-1246249042_thumb.jpg

Edited by ltr450

Just from this pic that i took.. it looks like my my sensor is a little dirty...should i try to clean it myself or just send it off to be cleaned

post-3227-1246249042_thumb.jpg

I've never cleaned my sensor other than using a bulb blower doo-hickey. Could be dust on either end of your lens also or on your uv filter if you have one.. Solid colors are probably the only area that they show up so you could edit them out. There's online threads about sensor cleaning if U R n 2 it. :beerpint:

Heres one I took in Red Rock while hiking with my lil ones..

wallpaper.jpg

Now this is a pic that the HDR type editing is great for. It's already a great pic which are the best ones to work on. Kinda like restoring a classic '55 chevy instead of a '55 Dodge DeSoto (if there is such a thing). It would give you more detail in the brightest area of the clouds and the dark area of the red rock mountains. It's really a good pic. Oooops, I think the urge to edit is overwhelming me.

Forgot 1 thing, once the highlights are blown out, they're gone. You can recover a dark exposure but not clipped highlights so I only nudged the brightest from 255 to around 250 and basically just lightened the shadows and bumped the mid range contrast up a little to increase the overall detail and light unsharp mask sharpening. A better way would be duplicate the pic and work mids and shadows in one and the highlights in the other then merge/clone the sky/clouds (highlights) into the mid/shadow pic to preserve the contrast in the clouds that was lost in lightening the shadows but adds another step. Try different stuff, you can always hit the back button.

The good orig and the bumped result

post-1632-1246305248_thumb.jpg

post-1632-1246304926_thumb.jpg

Edited by ISBB

Wow...big difference, thank you!

...and your editing in adobe photoshop?

I have PS but have yet to learn/play with it yet....maybe I need to start that picture looks 10x better now.

:?: :worthless_without_pics: I have the old Adobe Elements 4 is all. All I did was like putting makeup on a model is all. Had to have something really good and unique to work with, what I did was the easy part, the hard part is finding and capturing the subject, you did that. :beerpint: