DSLR camera tips, techniques, photo sharing, etc

dunefreak

I read it because I thought a 3 page thread my be worth reading. I'm just sayin is a great phrase because it states sarcasm and smart assishness(new word). Do you hate it more then "Murdered out" and "What not"?

Hmmmm...... how about ....whatever. :laughing::beercheers:

I find the quality of the picture amazing. As much as I love taking pic's of wildlife ans such, I would love to buy one. It's just hard to justify the cost cause I want a 70 too.

Pete, what do you do about dust when changing lenses, I would be so worried about keeping it clean at all the time. Like out at the dunes. When I take pic's at the dunes at night, it looks like it is snowing. I often thought I had dust on the lens, but I think it is the flash AND my little inexpensive camera.

Pete, what do you do about dust when changing lenses, I would be so worried about keeping it clean at all the time. Like out at the dunes.

thats the golden question. the best advice is to obviously not take it out in a wind storm, get an extremely high quality camera bag for all your gear and keep it closed except when taking your camera out/putting it back in, and when dust does get in (which is highly probable, specially when shooting in the dunes) youll have to take it apart and clean it regularly so it doesnt build up. camera stores sell soft clothes like the ones used to clean glasses and thats what you use.

I was thinking about submitting a pic I shot in a Yosemite meadow on a challenge photo website as I looked at the pics that had been submitted thinking they looked pretty good but thought my pic would be competitive till I saw this photo. Is it just me or is this picture awesome? Wanted to share this and it shows what can be done with a camera. It was taken last September with a Canon 30D with a 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 lens.

post-1632-1242162499_thumb.jpg

Lee that pic is amazing. Makes me want a wide angle lens even more now. :beercheers:

I find the quality of the picture amazing. As much as I love taking pic's of wildlife ans such, I would love to buy one. It's just hard to justify the cost cause I want a 70 too.

Pete, what do you do about dust when changing lenses, I would be so worried about keeping it clean at all the time. Like out at the dunes. When I take pic's at the dunes at night, it looks like it is snowing. I often thought I had dust on the lens, but I think it is the flash AND my little inexpensive camera.

Pretty much what Tyler said. I never change lenses out in the elements. I am always extremely careful and try to always change it out indoors and use my microfiber cloth for cleaning it.

The snow effect you get is because of your flash. It not necessarly because dust on the lens, but dust in the air that the flash is illuminating.

Lee that pic is amazing. Makes me want a wide angle lens even more now. :beer_bang:

Pretty much what Tyler said. I never change lenses out in the elements. I am always extremely careful and try to always change it out indoors and use my microfiber cloth for cleaning it.

The snow effect you get is because of your flash. It not necessarly because dust on the lens, but dust in the air that the flash is illuminating.

And with a 30D and that 10-22 lens is $699 new, not an "L" and not that fast either. Sunset & sunrise is the ticket for landscape shots.

On the dust issue, a dark background and dust on the sensor will show up as well.

I was thinking about submitting a pic I shot in a Yosemite meadow on a challenge photo website as I looked at the pics that had been submitted thinking they looked pretty good but thought my pic would be competitive till I saw this photo. Is it just me or is this picture awesome? Wanted to share this and it shows what can be done with a camera. It was taken last September with a Canon 30D with a 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 lens.

post-1632-1242162499_thumb.jpg

That pic is phenominal !

Well I too have been bit by the camera bug! I went out and bought me a Canon 50D like Pete's. I only have the 28mm-135mm IS Lense so far but I already want more. I have just under a weeks time behind this camera and it's pretty impressive what it can do. He is my work so far (Yes thay have been enhanced with the included software)

By the way, the red/black car is a Buggatti and I took a picture of the motor as well. I loved that car! This was in La Jolla at the Bentley dealership.

post-1872-1242524627_thumb.jpg

post-1872-1242524654_thumb.jpg

post-1872-1242524663_thumb.jpg

post-1872-1242524671_thumb.jpg

post-1872-1242524679_thumb.jpg

post-1872-1242524690_thumb.jpg

post-1872-1242524698_thumb.jpg

post-1872-1242524706_thumb.jpg

post-1872-1242524715_thumb.jpg

Well I too have been bit by the camera bug! I went out and bought me a Canon 50D like Pete's. I only have the 28mm-135mm IS Lense so far but I already want more. I have just under a weeks time behind this camera and it's pretty impressive what it can do. He is my work so far (Yes thay have been enhanced with the included software)

By the way, the red/black car is a Buggatti and I took a picture of the motor as well. I loved that car! This was in La Jolla at the Bentley dealership.

Nice Shots!

These were taken by Thierry Legualt on May 12 and 13th.

Think about the difficulty. Space shuttle traveling at 17,500 Mph at an altitude of 350 miles. It crossed in front of the sun in just .08 seconds. Shooting into the sun light!

In the second picture, the small dot next to the shuttle is the Hubble Telescope.

To cool ! Here is his website

http://www.skynyx.fr/legault/atlantis_hst_transit.html

post-14-1242575612_thumb.jpg

post-14-1242575629_thumb.jpg

Edited by 80grit

Excellent shots Tim. Glad you are enjoying your new 50D. :grin: I knew you'd love it.

These were taken by Thierry Legualt on May 12 and 13th.

Think about the difficulty. Space shuttle traveling at 17,500 Mph at an altitude of 350 miles. It crossed in front of the sun in just .08 seconds. Shooting into the sun light!

In the second picture, the small dot next to the shuttle is the Hubble Telescope.

To cool ! Here is his website

http://www.skynyx.fr/legault/atlantis_hst_transit.html

WOW.

Takahashi TOA-130 refractor (diameter 130mm, final focal 2200mm or 3400mm) on Manfrotto video tripod, Baader solar prism and Canon 5D mark II. Exposure of 1/8000s at 100 ISO, extracted from a series of 16 images (4 images/s) started 2s before the predicted time.

^ Talk about some seriously expensive equipment! :beerpint::idea:

Thats badass Rob! :beercheers:

I"v been trying too get a good panning shot off.. it's harder than it looks

post-3227-1243864385_thumb.jpg

got a good pick of one boat but trying to get two off... i'm a little lost

post-3227-1243864567_thumb.jpg

Edited by ltr450

I"v been trying too get a good panning shot off.. it's harder than it looks

Hard to tell with the small pic, what camera and lens? The 1st one looks short on the focus maybe, look at the water. The 2nd one has the center of focus between the 150 boat and the camera with the depth of field just reaching the 150. Look at the water to see the focus fall off just beyond the 150. To get both boats you need more DOF (depth of field), that means a smaller aperture (a higher number f-stop) and a faster shutter speed, and focus between the boats or even higher f-stop and focus on the 150.

Edited by RUn2it

Panning shots with a good motion blur in the background is pretty tricky. You did great on that second one, Pete. I'd lighten up the 1st one just a tad. Good job though! How did you like that lens?

Lee, he has a 30D and rented a 70-200mm L f/4 lens

Panning shots with a good motion blur in the background is pretty tricky. You did great on that second one, Pete. I'd lighten up the 1st one just a tad. Good job though! How did you like that lens?

Lee, he has a 30D and rented a 70-200mm L f/4 lens

If that lens has IS image stabilization he might have the switch on "1" and IS is doing the cha cha cha trying to stabilize the panning. If it's an IS L, flip it to "2".

If that lens has IS image stabilization he might have the switch on "1" and IS is doing the cha cha cha trying to stabilize the panning. If it's an IS L, flip it to "2".

I don't think so. He called me asking what all those buttons were for before he went out Saturday. lol I told him about the #2 setting for panning. ;)