"Speeds around the camp sites are out of control".

sandawg

"Last trip it was brought to our attention that the speeds around the camp sites are out of control. That issue will be a main focus of ours this go around".

Above is a quote from another post by a member of the SBSO.

I know the rule about slowing down within a short distance of camp sites.

What I don't understand is the speeds that are tolerated on the flats in general. We live with the dust it creates and the potential for a serious accident but it is getting worse, isn't it?

If you happen to camp close to a main return route from the dunes or Comp hill there seems to be no speed limit. Since we usually camp west of the road it seems to much worse here. We've camped east of the road and it didn't seem as bad.

Is this because it is considered part of the dunes? With the number of campers on the flats , is it time to rethink this rule?

Primarily it is the younger demographic of riders like from 14 to 25 or so, both male and female.

More recently more of the larger faster mega rails are opening them up on the flats also. Older drivers that should be more responsible!!! Generally, doing "Wheelies" showing off or just acting like fools. I am not talking about way out away from the camps but certainly too close for comfort.

Also there appears to be a speed limit on the road from the entrance to at least the first finger that is not enforced either, as it appears to me. I have been rocked and dusted on the road trying to maintain the posted speed limit. At least, it is posted up by the Ranger Compound.

:think: IMHO it, the flats from the entrance to the dunes should be consider the camping area and speeds limited.

Anyone else have the same belief? Or am I "Peeing on a forest fire"?

Edited by SANDAWG

I do agree that this is a major problem and an accident is surely inevitable. Not if but when. It is the single biggest detractor of camp life out at the dunes.

The problem is what to do about it. It’s more widespread than most would admit. 15 MPH is fairly slow and without technology, most probably couldn’t properly guess their speed. I always hear education as an option but for the last 20 years the problem isn’t better. Enforcement is an option, but do we really want to start seeing speed traps randomly setup around camps? The blatant disregarding speeder who hauls butt by a patrolling ranger vehicle usually isn’t stopped either, just too many of them.

I really get disgusted when they haul butt right next to our camp. Running out and yelling “Get outa my yard” hasn’t been effective.

I’m not sure what the solution is, but I know an imposed government solution might be worse.

I do agree that this is a major problem and an accident is surely inevitable. Not if but when. It is the single biggest detractor of camp life out at the dunes.

The problem is what to do about it. It’s more widespread than most would admit. 15 MPH is fairly slow and without technology, most probably couldn’t properly guess their speed. I always hear education as an option but for the last 20 years the problem isn’t better. Enforcement is an option, but do we really want to start seeing speed traps randomly setup around camps? The blatant disregarding speeder who hauls butt by a patrolling ranger vehicle usually isn’t stopped either, just too many of them.

I really get disgusted when they haul butt right next to our camp. Running out and yelling “Get outa my yard” hasn’t been effective.

I’m not sure what the solution is, but I know an imposed government solution might be worse.

I do not know the solution either. I don't propose a police state, or speed traps, just a change in the enforcement of unsafe acts or people that have no consideration for others. Information campaign, neighborhood policing. Contact the guilty camps and inform them of proper operation and consideration of others!!!!

It's a social problem! thanks a lot Dr. Spock! :laughoff:

I am told that BLM reads our site and hope SBSO does as well.

My biggest gripe is the money we spend to use Dumont and so much of the money going for law enforcement......Oh Oh, I've been here before. :think:

We have over 5 thousand people on this site and that is short of the 15 or 20 thousand that might be out on a big weekend. I'm sure there are not folks here that could fall into the group I speak of so what's the point???? It's up to BLM and SBSO.

Why did the entrance people stop giving out the rules, maps, flags etc. I know! If people can't read then it does no good! :laughoff:

TERRY!!!!!!!!Help!!!!!!!

It's a conspiracy I tell you....It's the Tree Huggers sending out their forces to upset the users of the Dunes and other areas. They figure that if enough of us get pi**ed and quit coming then they have won!!!!!

:unsure:

In my experience, I have noticed that it is always the mexicans who always speed through camp. :cheesebong: :mex:

:think: just kidding! :stir:

It's the blacks & Puerto Ricans. KIDDING AGAIN! :laughoff::laughoff::dope:

In all seriousness...

It's the damn Filipinos. Ok I'll stop now. :lol:

Yes, there IS the (rarely enforced) law at Dumont which states 15 mph anywhere near 50 feet of a camp, but I don't think there is enough education & signage for those less observant peeps. I think there should be more signs and it should be more blatantly posted that you will be cited for speeding & putting others in danger in the camp area.

It all comes down to common sense though. There should be a citation for that. Talk about a whole new revenue source for Dumont! :unsure:

Ya can't fix stupid! :thumb:

In my experience, I have noticed that it is always the mexicans who always speed through camp. :cheesebong: :mex:

It's the blacks & Puerto Ricans. KIDDING AGAIN! :laughoff::laughoff::dope:

In all seriousness...

It's the damn Filipinos. Ok I'll stop now. :lol:

Yes, there IS the (rarely enforced) law at Dumont which states 15 mph anywhere near 50 feet of a camp, but I don't think there is enough education & signage for those less observant peeps. I think there should be more signs and it should be more blatantly posted that you will be cited for speeding & putting others in danger in the camp area.

It all comes down to common sense though. There should be a citation for that. Talk about a whole new revenue source for Dumont! :thumb:

Ya can't fix stupid! :dope:

I agree with you Pete, for probably the first time, or maybe the second...... but do you think that citation money goes to the Dunes fund????? :mex:

Maybe I'm the :lol:

What I do know is that when I lived in the Central California Valley....The Filipinos don't go fast enough to get a ticket.....like 25 on the freeway, in the fast lane, can't see over the steering wheel in most cases. It's usually the female gender though!!! And I'm not kidding!!!!!!! :unsure::lol:

Oh boy....Gawd will get me for that one!!

:old:

how do you expect me to break the laws when i dont know what they are?...........

seriously its all about signage there needs to be a lot more signs telling people whats up! like out of bounds! speed! and trash! and the fines for breaking the rules!

with all that and some light ticketing by leos the problem would be a lot less... as we know word of mouth goes very far now days.

how do you expect me to break the laws when i dont know what they are?...........

seriously its all about signage there needs to be a lot more signs telling people whats up! like out of bounds! speed! and trash! and the fines for breaking the rules!

with all that and some light ticketing by leos the problem would be a lot less... as we know word of mouth goes very far now days.

Hear...Hear....Right on! :think::laughoff:

:laughoff:

the rule is 15 mph within 50' of a camp. 50' is not that much of a distance. In beetween the finger dunes is probably 300' so theoretically someone can just blast down the middle and probably get away with it. Not much LEO's can do in my opinion. By the way, I just putt through the flats, but this is my observations.

I do not know the solution either. I don't propose a police state, or speed traps, just a change in the enforcement of unsafe acts or people that have no consideration for others. Information campaign, neighborhood policing. Contact the guilty camps and inform them of proper operation and consideration of others!!!!

It's a social problem! thanks a lot Dr. Spock! :laughoff:

I am told that BLM reads our site and hope SBSO does as well.

My biggest gripe is the money we spend to use Dumont and so much of the money going for law enforcement......Oh Oh, I've been here before. :think:

We have over 5 thousand people on this site and that is short of the 15 or 20 thousand that might be out on a big weekend. I'm sure there are not folks here that could fall into the group I speak of so what's the point???? It's up to BLM and SBSO.

Why did the entrance people stop giving out the rules, maps, flags etc. I know! If people can't read then it does no good! :laughoff:

TERRY!!!!!!!!Help!!!!!!!

It's a conspiracy I tell you....It's the Tree Huggers sending out their forces to upset the users of the Dunes and other areas. They figure that if enough of us get pi**ed and quit coming then they have won!!!!!

:unsure:

Pat, this a sore subject with me and a lot of fellow duners. I have had long talks with BLM and the LEO's about it. The problem comes down to liability. If the LEO's try to chase down a "speeder" and the speeder runs and flys off a dune or runs into some innocent kid then who gets sued? The younger LEO's are working radar on the main road and are writing tickets they also sit in different areas and see the people who ignore the rules and then try to find them in a camp after they get off of a quad or bike or out of a car and identify the operator. Because this crime is a misdemeanor they must see the crime being committed and be able to identify the operator. This can be tuff to do in a camp with a lot of people who may be unhappy that LEO are there harassing there friends etc. I don't take the bad guys side by any stretch but I do know that BLM and LEO are going to error on the side of caution.

We are looking to increase information to be given out to the public but as you all know there has been a reduction of having staff stand at the entrance at all hours handing out this kind of info. As for posting signs on the flats you are just asking for a lawsuit if you post something and some idiot hits it and gets hurt. it's a very tough situation that we are working on and I agree that the ticket word does get around so hopefully we can slow everyone down until they hit the dunes instead of being "pit racers"

there's always potato guns.... :laughoff:

J/K

maybe the LEO's can ask some peeps if they can sit in their camps for a while and maybe grab a few of them that way...just kind of lay low behind a trailer and wait for the inconsiderate :laughoff: 's to fly by and nab them...if word gets out about "speed traps" that might help a little.

Also I believe the ASA had speed limit signs for sale on their site for people to post on their campers, maybe if everyone bought just 1 and posted it on their trailer doors :think:

I found a pic of the sign here: http://www.americansandassociation.org/home.php?cat=256

but cant see how to order one

icon.php

if there cant be signs then..........

lets post the camp area rules on the bathroom walls inside and out!

:laughoff:

Print up a bunch of these and post them in the bathrooms, they can be used for reading material and to wipe your :laughoff: if the TP is gone.

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/dune_flyer.pdf

Maybe the Vendors would be willing to hand them out to each customer :think: .

Would be nice if the Rangers could hand them out at the entrance also or at least have them available at the ticket machines...put them in those containers like on house for sale signs??

Maybe they could hand them out to every person they stop and every camp they have to visit?

And to the guy in the purple VW 4 seater beam car with the big flag who camps down past 3 towards the way to the little dunes...slow down!! We have seen this car on a few different trips out speeding through camps..no rangers were out there to do anything though.

I have the answer to people speeding around YOUR camp.

Go out and buy the biggest, baddest, mostest powerfulest paint gun. Then shoot those that infringe on your 50 ft circle around your camp. And if they want to confront you, shoot them in the head.

OK, I was just kidding, really good idea tho, ya gotta admit!!! :duniemonkie:

In my experience, I have noticed that it is always the mexicans who always speed through camp. :cheesebong: :lol:

It's the blacks & Puerto Ricans. KIDDING AGAIN! :laughoff::laughoff::mex:

In all seriousness...

It's the damn Filipinos. Ok I'll stop now. :dope:

It all comes down to common sense though. There should be a citation for that. Talk about a whole new revenue source for Dumont! :unsure:

Ya can't fix stupid! :lol:

hey pete :thumb::dope: ha ha.........you are right you can fix stupid

if there cant be signs then..........

lets post the camp area rules on the bathroom walls inside and out!

One sign! A "Wind Proof" large overhead banner sign put up at the top of the hill just above the entrance or a large hard sign right by the Ranger Compound next to the road, in a "safe location"that simply says:

RESPECT YOUR FELLOW DUNERS

SPEEDING OR UNSAFE OPERATION CLOSE TO CAMPS.. GETS YOU A TICKET!

It's just an Idea!

:think:

Edited by SANDAWG