Prez Day 2011 trip reports

sanddunesaddict

Here's a little snippet of my sons accident. All is well except the bikes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31ncihwvGMk

VIC!! That video made my heart pound!!! scarry sh*t right there. Good to hear only bikes are all broken.

I got a few DS parts laying around if ya need em..

Day trip for us today. Would have been cool to see you guys..

Bud

Can't speak for any other days besides friday, but there was alot of people in the camping area, but nobody riding the dunes.. What a great day, the dunes were steep! the ridges were crisp! and you had better have brought your A game if you were going to do some serious riding.. It was awesome! The sand was finally dry for the first time in months and the shapes of the dunes must have recently been remolded due to some high winds?

a little video for anyone who wasnt there friday!

killer video. Man you guys sure love riding the tops of those dunes. laughing.gifheadbang1.gif

We just visited our friend Joe in the hospital. Very sobering experience to see your friend get that hurt in a freak accident. He wanted to give a big thanks to the girls in our group that helped him and the medics/rangers. He is doing ok, considering the circumstances. He got his halo yesterday. Pain meds help too. :)

Good to hear, Heather! Send him our best and hope he recovers quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31ncihwvGMk

yikes! Amazing he didn't break something major at those speeds.

Holly sh*t.... You know it's going to happen, and i tried to turn the bike and hit the brakes anyway... That is SCARY. My biggest fear by far has always been a collision over a ridge, or jumping but that moved up on my list A LOT right there. Glad all is well (now I know it is), losing a bike can't be good on the wallet.

Edited by Rap_Rider

Can't speak for any other days besides friday, but there was alot of people in the camping area, but nobody riding the dunes.. What a great day, the dunes were steep! the ridges were crisp! and you had better have brought your A game if you were going to do some serious riding.. It was awesome! The sand was finally dry for the first time in months and the shapes of the dunes must have recently been remolded due to some high winds?

a little video for anyone who wasnt there friday!

That is a nice quality video.... Definitely like riding the tops. That is some skill to do that going that fast IMO.

My Father-N-Law was the one who wrecked his buggy saturday on top of comp hill. He is ok.They took him to the Las Vegas UMC Trauma. ha fractured his L2 Verterbrate. He broke it in the front so he is walking and just fine. Just sore from the impact. He was back at Dumont that evening. Did lose 3 teeth though. The buggy is a little worse bent frame 3 broken heim joints bent rim and 2 blown shocks and broken motor mounts on the cases of the motorI would like to say thanks to all the guy's who helped get the car off the hill and loaded up. Thanks again guys its good to be a dune with fellow duners like them around. Thanks to all the EMT's. I still think they should have cautioned off that witches eye though Sunday I witnesed 2 quads and another rail with a little girl go off into it. luckly all were ok just shooken up.

Edited by chetgoff

I'm glad to here your father N law is OK I was the guy who pulled his car down in the white car. I have some video on my gopro of the accident seen (There was only the rear end of the buggy sticking out of the sand) I will try to get it posted up this week.

My Father-N-Law was the one who wrecked his buggy saturday on top of comp hill. He is ok.They took him to the Las Vegas UMC Trauma. ha fractured his L2 Verterbrate. He broke it in the front so he is walking and just fine. Just sore from the impact. He was back at Dumont that evening. Did lose 3 teeth though. The buggy is a little worse bent frame 3 broken heim joints bent rim and 2 blown shocks and broken motor mounts on the cases of the motorI would like to say thanks to all the guy's who helped get the car off the hill and loaded up. Thanks again guys its good to be a dune with fellow duners like them around. Thanks to all the EMT's. I still think they should have cautioned off that witches eye though Sunday I witnesed 2 quads and another rail with a little girl go off into it. luckly all were ok just shooken up.

WHat an awesome day.

To all the people who didnt go because of the weather......you lose!!

The Newbees havent learned that the reason Dumont is there is because of the lack of a typical weather pattern. I stayed home once because of a rotten weather report for dumont and it turned out to be crappy in Vegas but really nice at the D.

I have been out on worse weekends than this one. Rating from 1-10 I give this one an 8.

Great late am weather, a little cool breeze. I'll never believe a weather forcast again!!

I was several bike lengths behind him as we were going to do the whole top of Comp from the far right side across and down to where it tapers into the finger dunes. We made sure the hill was clear before we took off. As we cleared the section where most people race up and turn to the left to come down a RZR-4 came over the top, had him cleared with no problem but then a DS popped over the top behind him. At 65mph my son tried like hell to avoid the collision. Had the wheels cranked as hard to the left as he could without rolling it over and did a powerslide broadside into the other DS. The other DS was from our camp and a good friend of mine. All is well between the bunch of us.

If you've ever seen Indy racers get their wheels in between one another well that's what happened. One of them goes airborne. The video from my sons GoPro is insane and like I said before makes you wonder how nobody left in a meat wagon. I wonder if anyone happened to capture it from the bottom of Comp?

On the video from the point of impact until both riders stopped barrelrolling, cartwheeling, and flipping, took a total of 8 seconds. From the point of impact until the first Ranger arrived took 17 seconds. 17 SECONDS! They had to be sitting at the base of the hill. But outstanding response regardless. I think the Sheriff's Department sandrail made it to the scene before my boys DS stopped cartwheeling to the bottom. Again, outstanding job by everyone that can to help.

Thanks for the positive comments. We don't get those too often. I'm the Sheriff's Dep buggy driver and we were sitting at the bottom of the hill when I heard the "crunch" and saw the quads flying. I have seen ALOT of crashes in the 10yrs I've worked out there and I'm still amazed those guys walked down the hill. Definately angels on their shoulders that day!!

I second that. I have no problem with you guys out there keeping us safe. You're only ever going to hear the people who b*tch because they got caught being dumbass's. You hear alot less about the people who appreciate you guys, but I assure you it's the majority.

Thanks again for your service. :beercheers:

"I still think they should have cautioned off that witches eye though Sunday."

The sand is always changing and that particular witches eye has been there since last year. Ultimately if they had to mark off all of the hazardous places there wouldn't be any areas left to ride.

You just have to be vigilant and watch for these things.!

I am sorry that your guy got hurt.

This "eye" has hurt several people. It's just going to happen. That's the nature of the Sand Dunes..They can be dangerous!!

Edited by SANDAWG

Thanks for the positive comments. We don't get those too often. I'm the Sheriff's Dep buggy driver and we were sitting at the bottom of the hill when I heard the "crunch" and saw the quads flying. I have seen ALOT of crashes in the 10yrs I've worked out there and I'm still amazed those guys walked down the hill. Definately angels on their shoulders that day!!

Yes your work is greatly appreciated at Dumont.

For those that want to show their support of Law Enforcement out at Dumont Look up "Rocket" or me up your next trip.

Larry blaine (BLM) gave us some of the black and white checkered flags that are to be flown if you support The Rangers or Sheriffs. Fly one on your flag pole and LE will know they have your support and appreciated what they do.

Rocket drives the Super Clean and Fast Red Sand Rocket and I drive the turquoise Prowler Sand Sprite 4 VW rail.

We camp up on the bluff even with the end of Vendor Row above the Fee Station. We fly the flags on our rigs. I also have the Red White and Blue Rhino.

I have to assume most do not know what the checkered flags denote.

We have about a dozen or so of the flags left!!!

Edited by SANDAWG

"I still think they should have cautioned off that witches eye though Sunday."

SANDAWG I couldn't agree more. In fact we suggested that after I rolled up on the 1st buggy crash. The response I got was, "someone would hit the caution stakes and sue us".....Unfortunately sad, but true.

Vic, I was just reading the sh*t storm over on GD.com about Casey's crash. Wow. It's too bad his crash caused so many people to get upset. laughing.gif

Again, really glad he is ok. Now get to wrenching on that DS! The season is almost over and we haven't hooked up for a ride yet.

I had a great time this weekend. Friday night the wind was pretty ridiculous, but during the day is was AMAZING weather. Saturday we were hanging at comp in the slight rain, not to bad. The dunes got pretty tough pretty fast with the rain. The sand drags were ok, drug out to long in my opinion. It felt great to get out to dumont for a long weekend. Been over a year since I was out for more than a day. I have some pics of mostly drunken people, not to many of the dunes. Ill upload when I get home! I didnt think it was to busy out there, but I wasnt out in the dunes to much. Looked for some DDR peeps, didnt see to many except those who came by camp. Missed some of the familiar faces! Next trip is a day trip for clean up

Did ANYone else take some pics from president's weekend. Over 12K people showed up out there and this is all we got? Let's see some more. :whip::grin:

Great pics, btw, Sean. ;)

Just got home. I have some but not as many as usual. Just need to hook up the laptop.

We rolled in on Thursday. Big Dave had already coned off camp, but we realized we needed a bigger circle. We had 17 rigs coming in, so our circle became a huge oval. We had a big fire pit in the middle, but the kids made a smaller fire pit. Some peeps didn't feel like walking, so we had 2 fires going by the end of the trip. :lol:

We had a nice ride on Thursday afternoon. The next day we went for a quad ride before the dunes got too choppy. I haven't ridden my quad since last year, so my hand went numb (plus I have neuropathy), so we headed back to camp. Our group decided to go on a big family ride on Friday afternoon. That was when Joe flipped his RZR end over end. This is when I learned the importance of having a nice after market cage!!! So, the rest of the night we were all bummed out. The winds were howling that night, too.

We spent most of Saturday packing up Joe's stuff. He had rented a really nice trailer from Dune Rat (Andy). Luckily Pete and Terry were able to get us Andy's number (thanks you guys). He came out that afternoon to get the trailer and Joe's girlfriend got his truck and toys. We did a couple small rides that day.

We partied hard on Saturday night and were pretty much worthless the next day. It rained that morning. The group rolled out to the baby dunes and took a small hike up to the mines. We hung out at Vendor Row. They had some really kick a$$ stuff there for girls. I got a couple shirts and some of our girls got cute hats, sweat suits, etc. We took a crazy ride in the afternoon, but the dunes were choppy and wet from the rain.

It was a fun weekend and we really enjoyed camping with everyone in our group. We were really sad that Joe and his girls couldn't spend the weekend with us. I miss being in Dumont. I can't wait for the next trip! :)

Here are some pics:

Me on my quad

post-1635-071410900 1298530929_thumb.jpg

Gang at North Pole

post-1635-010235900 1298530900_thumb.jpg

Joe & his toys

post-1635-096082800 1298530763_thumb.jpg

The girls

post-1635-012372400 1298530694_thumb.jpg

Blue Steel & Kitcat

post-1635-068203200 1298530504_thumb.jpg

Joe's RZR - the aftermath

post-1635-093879900 1298530739_thumb.jpg

Look at how his roll cage caved in

post-1635-099247900 1298530948_thumb.jpg

Mark the Birthday Boy

post-1635-026473800 1298530779_thumb.jpg

Big Dave giving him a birthday beating :lol:

post-1635-085877500 1298530472_thumb.jpg

JAGER

post-1635-048600600 1298530715_thumb.jpg

How many peeps can we fit in the trailer?

post-1635-005130500 1298530969_thumb.jpg

Having fun

post-1635-084887800 1298530673_thumb.jpg

Having wayyyy to much fun

post-1635-085435000 1298530999_thumb.jpg

Comp

post-1635-050430900 1298530525_thumb.jpg

Gang at Comp

post-1635-008230700 1298530551_thumb.jpg

Trip to the mines

post-1635-079983200 1298530793_thumb.jpg

Me & my cousin Rowena