Sandpiper or weekend warrior?

astrnaughtwanabe

I am looking at buying a toyhauler and I have it narrowed down to two trailers, 18ft sandpiper with everything you could want on a toyhauler except no fuel station and no generator, but dry its 4800lbs and the other trailer im looking at is the weekend warrior supercross 18ft it has a generator and fuel station but no other goodies its basically a place to sleep, eat and crap but i dont have a family so thats all i need, and according to the weekend warrior website full of water and the fuel station full its 3900lbs but I the reason i wrote this is because i dont know anyone with weekend warrior or sandpiper experience and i was hoping someone one has experience with either one or both, oh and the price of the sandpiper is 14,900 and the weekend warrior i can get for about 17,000 and im pulling them with a gmc sierra 5.3 1/2ton thats the reason for the short trailers, I want to get as light as i can.. thanks for the help

I am looking at buying a toyhauler and I have it narrowed down to two trailers, 18ft sandpiper with everything you could want on a toyhauler except no fuel station and no generator, but dry its 4800lbs and the other trailer im looking at is the weekend warrior supercross 18ft it has a generator and fuel station but no other goodies its basically a place to sleep, eat and crap but i dont have a family so thats all i need, and according to the weekend warrior website full of water and the fuel station full its 3900lbs but I the reason i wrote this is because i dont know anyone with weekend warrior or sandpiper experience and i was hoping someone one has experience with either one or both, oh and the price of the sandpiper is 14,900 and the weekend warrior i can get for about 17,000 and im pulling them with a gmc sierra 5.3 1/2ton thats the reason for the short trailers, I want to get as light as i can.. thanks for the help

you will be ok pulling with the half ton

as far as choice..it is up to you. from what I read, i would go with the WW, but you can probably get a better price for it, imfo

good luck, and see you in the dunes

i've two friends with wekend warriors, larger models however, and they've had problems with them brand new off the lot. the service department is usually 3-4 weeks out, too.

i haven't heard anything bad about a sandpiper.

i have a '02 sierra 5.3 as well, and i was going to purchase a fleetwood scorpion initially. it's a pop-up camper with a 12'x8' cargo bed for your toys and a 4'x8' cargo bed for your bbq and gas cans etc. it has a bed and sink and toilet etc. but then i changed my mind and purchased a 25' toyhauler and a diesel to pull it with because we needed more room for the stuff.

what i do know is that you'll wanna get the lightest possible combination to pull with your half ton. when i take my half ton to dumont with my 16' flatbed trailer loaded (one quad in bed and one quad on trailer with one rhino) i have to pull it up the grade in second gear and that's only 2,400 lbs. including the trailer, plus 400 lbs. in the bed.

You will be happy w/ either... But my suggestion to you is make your sale contingent on the TRUE Dry Weight of the trailer! WW might say 3390 dry or whatever it is but will really end up being closer to 5 or 6... next thing you knwo your overweight and your truck is dying to get anywhere....

IF you look at Skyline MFG, makers of Rampage, and a few other.. THEY stamp the TRUE weight of that trailer as they weigh each one after its assembled and what is on the sticker is the true dry weight!

Quality is about the same in 90% of the toyhaulers nowadays anyhow.. your going to have problems with any new trailer you buy.. Your concern now is your truck and the weight of the trailer and SAFTEY!

Thats just my 2 cents..

I pull a 23' ragn extralight with my 2004 F-150, with no problems. I don't fly up the hills but it goes alright. My trailer weighs 5500lbs dry, add 100 gallons of water and 40 gallons of gas and 2 bikes or quads and I'm pushing it. I've seen Super light WW 21' or smaller for cheap, just look around. I'm looking at getting a diesel, so I won't have any problems. :laughing:

I have a Sandpiper and love mine. They are very good quality trailers. They might be slightly heavier, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The lighter they are sometimes means cheaper quality construction. Your truck will pull 4,000 pounds about the same as it will pull 5,000 lbs. Just make sure you keep your loaded weight under what your truck is rated for. Usually 1/2 tons are rated to pull between 7,000 and 9,000 lbs.

WW makes a nice trailer too, but I have heard quite a few complaints from owners on them. On the other hand I hear they have good customer svc, but these people might not know this unless they had a problem with their trailers to begin with. :flipoff:

I'd say they are both pretty comparable trailers, you should be happy with either one.

Those prices seem way high for a 18 footer though! :laughing: Do your homework and shop around before you buy one. You can usually get an almost new toyhauler (used) for THOUSANDS less.

i think my sierra 5.3 is rated at 6,500 lbs. towing. i could be incorrect though. i've pulled about 5,500-6,000 lbs. up baker grade with it once before. about 40mph in second gear but made it.

It should be rated higher than that. Reading the specs for an 06 5.3L, the max towing capactity on 1/2 tons range from 6900-9100 lbs depending on bed and cab size. :laughing:

Both are nice trailers and I know people who have them. The Weekeend Warrior all have one complaint that is common, Service dept. at wheelers totally sucks! I think if you look around you can find a less inexpensive used trailer. This is the season. I bough a nice Salem 20' about a year and a half ago for less that $7500.00 and it works great. I personally wouldn't want to tow it with a 1/.2 ton but I guess you could.

Hey Jeff,

I think I would lean toward the Generator and Fuel Station options for the $2100 more on the WW.

Although I don't know much about the two coaches. Generators are nice to have, for use and resale.

As far as service, Here is a complaint I sent to the Better Business Bureau.

BBB.com

complaint for:

West Coast RV's

700 East Foothill Blvd.

Pomona, CA 91767

Complaint Summary (150 characters maximum)*

Unprofessional and unacceptable service.

Describe your problem with West Coast RV's (1500 characters maximum)*

I took my RV to West Coast RV's for some warranty work. The verbal promises were great. When they said it was finally ready (after the promise date) I went to pick-up the RV. When I went to hook it up I noticed that the some windows and vents were open, Generator door open, there was trash inside from the repairs, new dents on the siding, an adapter of mine was missing. They also wanted me to sign 3 blank warrantee forms to get my couch back. Then I hooked up the truck power plug and noticed that the inside lights were left and so was the water heater. Then when I got home I started the generator the A/C was left on also. One of the items they "fixed and checked" was the H20 heater bypass valve. I was having problems getting hot water from the system and called them. Together on the phone we determined that they installed the valve backwards. If they had checked the system like they said they had, they probably would have fixed their own mistake. I did call and complain to the service manager, he said to bring it to them and they would try to get everything fixed in a timely manner. I chose to repair the mistakes myself. I can work on the trailer without denting it, I clean up after myself, I don’t leave appliances on, and I also check my work. And I will put all the personal items that belong in the coach back.

What would you like West Coast RV's to do? (500 characters maximum)*

Close the service department until the crew has guidelines to follow and proper training on RV’s and their systems. Train each and every employee the legalities of their paperwork.

Dude I was so pist :laughing: And I've heard NOTHING in response.

Good luck. and enjoy the hauler.

R-

I used to work for Giant RV in So Cal selling WW. Since I no longer work there, I no longer have to have a biased opinion and I would still choose a WW over anything. The SX 1800 would be perfect for you and what you want out of the coach. Loaded, the MSRP should be around 18K, but PM me and I can give you a ball park to what you should pay. I dont know if you can make a trip to Giant RV, but I would recommend buying there and if you need service you can still go to Wheelers. I could go on and on about structural quality, warrenties, etc., but I dont want to make this too long. PM for more info.

:woo_hoo: WW :beerpint: ALL THE WAY. I HAVENT HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH MINE. IM THE SECOND OWNER, AND EVERYTHING IS IN GREAT CONDITION, AND ITS A 2000. GOOD LUCK, ANYWAY, THEY ARE BOTH BAD a$$ TRAILERS. :ninja:

DONT MIND THAT STRAP HANGING DOWN BY MY TAILLIGHT. :ninja::laughoff::flipoff:

We, too, love our WW. But, a word of warning...Wheeler RV service department SUCKS. We got our WW in October of last year and had a few minor warranty issues so we took it back to have them fixed and when we got it back, ended up with more problems than when it went in. This last time it went in, they had it for 7 1/2 weeks and although they said they fixed everything, they only fixed one thing. It went back in today so they can fix the siding they dented in two places. Like I said, love the trailer...hate the dealership.

We, too, love our WW. But, a word of warning...Wheeler RV service department SUCKS. We got our WW in October of last year and had a few minor warranty issues so we took it back to have them fixed and when we got it back, ended up with more problems than when it went in. This last time it went in, they had it for 7 1/2 weeks and although they said they fixed everything, they only fixed one thing. It went back in today so they can fix the siding they dented in two places. Like I said, love the trailer...hate the dealership.

Yea I havent heard too many good things about the place..since wheelers sold it..

Yea I havent heard too many good things about the place..since wheelers sold it..

They did me a favor by ignoring me when we were shopping for our hauler. I ended up at Johnny Walkers with a Ragen' and am extremely happy with both the trailer and the service.

On another note: I do have a couple of friends with a WW and I haven't heard them complain about the quality of the trailer at all.

Well this is my 2cent's some won't like it. I have had a WW and it was junk the service sucked from wheeler's. I work with a guy who has a WW from Giant rv and has had several problems with them and service. The trailer I have now is an 05 Sandpiper fiver and after a year of use I think it's a piece of junk.

............................that's my opinion.

Knowing what I know now. I would go and find the cheapest trailer out there get more for your moneyand for the most part they all have the same appliances mfg. and are set up the same inside. Not such a big loss when you sell it.

My next trailer will likely be a Carson Trailer (fun Runner) they are a low end cheap trailer at a fair price.

Edited by Dunerocket

Well this is my 2cent's some won't like it. I have had a WW and it was junk the service sucked from wheeler's. I work with a guy who has a WW from Giant rv and has had several problems with them and service. The trailer I have now is an 05 Sandpiper fiver and after a year of use I think it's a piece of junk.

Knowing what I know now. I would go and find the cheapest trailer out there get more for your moneyand for the most part they all have the same appliances mfg. and are set up the same inside. Not such a big loss when you sell it.

My next trailer will likely be a Carson Trailer (fun Runner) they are a low end cheap trailer at a fair price.

Yeah I somewhat agree. ALL toyhauler are pieces of chit, but I think some are a little more solid than others. My Sandpiper seems a lil more stought than some I have been in. When it comes to the interior of all toyhaulers, they are chinsey as hell. :mc_smiley:

before our ww we had a carson. we had no problems at all. we just needed more room. and yes the carson might not have all the bling, but who cares. i think thats good advice. :driver: :mc_smiley:

After being in the toy hauler business, this post goes to prove my point. People have to understand that ALL toy haulers are built by hand, not machine. There are always going to be little problems with them, but some will have more than others. If you want a hauler, look at the structure (chassis), not the bling. And based on structure, WW takes the cake. In my opinion, Carson does not produce a very strong chassis and could give you structural problem down the line. But hey, the Carson beats what I'm sleeping in... the back of my van! :flipoff:

yeah we had a 18 ft fun runner pulled it with a v6 f150 did just fine even going up baker never had a problem with that trailer . now we have a superlight 2500 love it have had some small problems . only problem we have now is the wall is buckling next to the stove so the stove cabinet wont meet at the top to the wall . wheelers or somebody at warrior is dropping the ball so far going on three weeks to get authorization to fix . i had to call warrior today and hopefully someone gets in gear .