Let's get some stuck in the sand stories going:

Ross and Alice

We're getting the sand toys dialed in and duning thoughts are passing through my pea brain.

The wife pulled into Little Dumont Dunes towing at about 1 AM,, then thought she had the wrong place, did a "U" turn into the quicksand and got stuck.

Stuck to the chassis deluxe. Looked brutal,, but not really,, but she thought it was.

So she looks around, realizes she's in the right place,, see's our brite green strobe flashing at our campsite in the awsum Death Valley nite,, and comes to get me to get her un-stuck.

No problem,, the 4x4 GMC and a tow strap and we'll be just fine in just seconds.

I get out at her stuck truck and toy trailer, get ready to hook it all up, and the wife insists I listen to how it happened before we move everything.

I never loose my cool, or get sore with her,, no reason to explain I think., I was consoling her that: " it's ok,,it happens"., But she felt bad anyway.

Really it was no BFD.

So I say: "Tell me back at camp"

"No" she says,, "I want you to listen to me first".

"Ahh, baby,, tell me in a few minutes." I plea.

OK,, Imagine that everyone is now arriving at the dunes,, and all kinds of 10 million candlepower lites are shining on me,, and I looked like the biggest sorry weinie standing there listening to the story, truck stuck deluxe.

So I listen, listen and listen some more. The story went on forever,, me smiling and being awsum,,,

Lots and lots rigs are slowly passing by,, everyone staring at me in the glow of aircraft landing lites, thinking what a dips#it. This guy knows better.

Finally hooked on the sling and yanked her out gently in a matter of seconds.

I got over it.

Is this what ya call being a good listener to the wife???

Any stuck stories, or is just me?

PB100049.sized.jpg

Yeah I've got one....

New Years eve 05/06. Pauly Paul got to Dumont first and picked a spot way down the 2nd finger (different from our usual spot). The camp area was full of toyhaulers and motorhomes EXCEPT for this nice big area he found. It was very empty.

So he decides to snatch it up the "prime" spot. He pulls in with no problem with this 1922? motorhome and flatbed trailer. :laughing: We arrive and he runs out to the middle of the road to say hey dude it's kinda soft in there so watch out. I was like "really? How bad can it be?" :coocoo: I had just got my new Toyo M/T's and thought, hell let's test em out. :shake:

Well long story short, any tire sucks a$$ in the sand aired up to 60psi. :blink: I haul a$$ in and decide to do a test run through camp to see how soft it was. I barely made it to the middle of camp. :banghead::laughing: So after digging and digging and trying many ways to get it unstuck, I FINALLY air down. It was STILL not pulling out. We unhook the trailer and barely get the truck out with Steveo's Ford after numerous attempts. Then everyone decides to hook my t/h up to the Ford with stock street tires and pull it out with that. Wrong. It did just as sh*tty.

Finally with BOTH trucks aired down and my tuck hooked to Steveo's truck which was hooked to the t/h, we got out. While we were digging out the sand from under the trucks, we decided on a different camp spot. (Go figure :coocoo: ) The funny part to the story is...PaulyPaul fires up the old motorhome and crosses his fingers to hoping it will pull out of camp. Well, he pulled out of camp like he was driving on pavement. :blink: We was laughing histarically as he passed me and Steveo looking like this---> :think::flipoff: . :laughing::laughing:

We won't ever try and camp in THAT spot again.

As much as it sucked, we had the tres hermanos, ynot, and rogers807 to point and laugh at us to keep us enetertained as they sat in their golf cart and sandrails. :flipoff::laughoff::laughoff:

heh, classic.

last weekend i took the half ton and the flatbed out dumont for a saturday morning run. i got too close to the first finger and got stuck (half ton is 2wd.)

unloaded the flatbed and rolled away with ease. parked near the first finger, walked over to the toys and rode them to the truck. we left fully loaded and pulled away with ease.

it's nothing spectacular but that's my latest story and i'm sticking to it. oh, and during ddr 1st annual night drag i was towing my banshee to the hill with the rhino and gt stuck in front of the whoops. had to unhook the banshee, drive the rhino to the whoops, run back and ride the banshee to the rhino and go from there. 2 stories in one.

heh, classic.

last weekend i took the half ton and the flatbed out dumont for a saturday morning run. i got too close to the first finger and got stuck (half ton is 2wd.)

unloaded the flatbed and rolled away with ease. parked near the first finger, walked over to the toys and rode them to the truck. we left fully loaded and pulled away with ease.

it's nothing spectacular but that's my latest story and i'm sticking to it. oh, and during ddr 1st annual night drag i was towing my banshee to the hill with the rhino and gt stuck in front of the whoops. had to unhook the banshee, drive the rhino to the whoops, run back and ride the banshee to the rhino and go from there. 2 stories in one.

Hey we were airing down in the whoops w/ I think my truck after getting buried trying to yank someone else out and we saw you. cool B)

pete we were at the hill already and i was like hey check that sh*t out... nice strap job.. LOL

At the night drags i was cruisin the finger dune and all of a sudden my truck just sank damn near to the frame... it was quick sand i swear!! :D

pete we were at the hill already and i was like hey check that sh*t out... nice strap job.. LOL

At the night drags i was cruisin the finger dune and all of a sudden my truck just sank damn near to the frame... it was quick sand i swear!! :D

awww, you should of included the awesome photo with this one nick. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Hey we were airing down in the whoops w/ I think my truck after getting buried trying to yank someone else out and we saw you. cool B)

yeah. there were a couple people airing down and getting stuck as we were pulling in to the whoops. funny thing is.. i was pulling the banshee with the rhino on the way out, same way, and made it through without getting stuck! guess experience was the key.

now.. i'm racing three bikes at bwIV. anyone got some ideas on how to get them at the hill? JUST KIDDING. i was thinking we can ride the rhino and one bike to the hill at a time, leave the bike with someone we can trust and do it all over again until they're all there.

I got a good one at the lake. This one was easily 15+ years ago in our '87 Toyota pickup....2wd.

We decided to park on a soft ledge....the kind you see a lot of from the lake level dropping. Well my truck got stuck upon arrival and I tried to dig out off and on all day with no luck. My buddy pulled his truck, same make and model, down to try and pull me out and got stuck himself. :laughing: Like his truck was any different...... :laughing:

Anyways, this guy in a big Dodge Ram came down to pull us both out. During his attempt his truck shifted 5+ feet sideways and down towards the lake!! :laughing: Panic set in and he unhooked and said eff it!! Well this really strange fellow came by with a little Ford Ranger and pulled us all out. After getting out I shared a beer with him and got the lesson of "It's all in the tires!"

That's just one of many times getting stuck. I don't get stuck as often anymore, but I'm sure I haven't seen my last time!

this happened at pismo last Thanksgiving

We had been there from monday. On Wed night, when everyone and their brother was pulling in, it got quiet at about 11 pm. we we camped close to the exit of the park, so little or no evening traffic makes for a great early night.

I wake up to hear a turbo spoolin up

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ............................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...................................

SO I stick my head out of the toyhauler, and some clowns are pullin in next to me, and they are stuck.

I tell the wife that I am gonna watch this, so i grab a beer, go stroke the campfire some more, and sit down and watch.

these guys (5 of them) continually move the truck back and forth about 2 feet, and proceed to get it stuck up to the frame rails. I laugh.. then, out of the toyhauler, they pull a highly modified jeep, and fire it up, take it to the front of the truck, and hook up with a strap to try to pull out

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...blblblblblblblblbl..................WHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....blbblblblblblblblblblbWHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

now the jeep is stuck :D I look around, and everybody is out of thier trailers watching too

7 beers into watching these guys wake everybody up within a quarter mile around them :laughing: , I decide to go over and see if I can help. I grab my shovel, and head over there.

I start talking to them, and, of course they are hittin the bottle too, because they are frustrated. I asked them if they aired down. They all look at each other, and back at me, and ask, "what the hell for" :laughing:

I got my tire deflators, and had them unstuck within 30 minutes...and then got to see the sun come up!!!

i was in Moab Utah

I had Dunefreaks Grizzly with me in my toy hauler.

well i decided to leave my toy hauler there being that i was going back the next week.

so instead of leaving petes quad there i decided to take it home in the back of my truck. I did not have any kind of ramp to help get it in the back.

so across the way from where my toy hauler was a field with a pretty decent slope to help get that heavy a$$ quad in the back of my truck.

i rode the quad to the top of the slope and got in my truck to back up to the slope.

Well the sand in the field that didnt look like a problem happened to be very deep silt.

to make a long story short i burnt up a sensor in my tranny, had to wait for the neighbor to pull me out with a tractor, dropped my truck off at the ford dealer, rented a car to drive back to vegas $700 worth of damage to the tranny. I now hate Moab as well as Fords

Ford 6.0 liters Rock :laughing:

Quick story, the 2nd time I ever went to Dumont I got stuck just after the last finger dune in my little Nissan truck towing my buggy. The wind was blowing like a son-of-a-gun out there. It was so bad that you could NOT get out of your vehicle without have goggles on. :laughing: Anyway, as I was digging out my rear tires, Ikept saying to myself, "I'm never coming to this place again!!!!!!" Well that was 7 years ago and I love the place. We got my truck out and had an awesome weekend when the wind calmed down.

:laughoff::laughing::laughoff::laughing::banghead::laughing:

Well even though I have never got stuck, probably because of the big a$$ goofy tires. My father-in-law burried his truck once at Glamis. We hooked my truck to his truck, which was pulling his race car trailer and tried to pull it out. Wasn't happening, I left 4 huge rutts. I ended up having to tow his truck out and the try the trailer. It was so soft out there the trailer was like an anchor. I ended up having to back the trailer out in reverse. I have never let him live it down either getting his Chevy pulled out by a Ford. His come back however is "at least my truck always gets me there!" :woo_hoo:

So here is some advise if you ever plan to camp at Glamis off of Gecko Road. Don't go off the road more than 15 feet or you will more than likely get yoursefl stuck! :beerpint:

Edited by lvnalolife

When I was just a kid, my dad got suck in his 1983 32' Surveyor motorhome on Lone Rock Beach at Lake Powell. Anyone who has been there knows how soft the sand can get. As it started to sink in the sand he gave it everything it had, maybe a little too much, because the the motor mounts twisted. The motor was torn from the engine compartment and laid there under the motorhome, in the sand. As a kid I thought it would be great to have a couple more days at the lake, but I was wrong. My dad had me down there with him getting that thing back into place. All I can say is that when you are covered in grease and oil and it's 110 degrees outside that last place you want to be is rolling in the sand. :laughing:

Anyways, he got the motor back in place and we made the 650 mile drive back home... with no problems!

Edited by SOTALY TOBER

Since I got my rail, I have become very good at getting stuck and getting out of it.

No one story in particular, but I have been to Pismo 3 times this summer and pretty much gotten stuck every time. This is with a 39' pusher and a 24' loaded to the max toy hauler behind it! One thing that helped me out big time is the RV's levelers...When I get stuck I use them raise the rear wheels or front wheels and a shovel to fill in the hole. After learning to air down after my first trip, learning to ditch the trailer on the hard pack before barreling into a camp site and adding a hitch receiver up front on the RV for easy tows. I do much better.

I now have a set of Staun deflators (priceless) for the RV and and another set for the trailer (s) as I learned that I really need to air down every single tire. I air the RV down to 30 (front and rear) and the trailer down to 15. Deflators are a must have!! Screw them on and kick back for about 5 minutes while 4 tires air themselves down to a preset level! Who ever invented these things deserves a medal! The second trip out before I had them, my friend and I spent more than a hour perhaps as much as 2 airing down the RV, 2 trailers! (14 tires total). On the last trip, after getting these, the RV one trailer (10 tires) were done in about 10-12 minutes and my fingers weren't sore from holding a screw driver into the valve stem!

I also had some auto inflators made. The RV uses CO2 tanks to fill up 2 tires at a time preset to 110PSI in about 7 minutes per pair from 30 PSI!! You just clip the hoses onto the valve stems and walk away. This was an expensive set up but if you ever tried to fill an RV tire up using a compressor, than the few hundred dollars that this set up cost me would seem well worth it.

I had a different but similar set up made for the trailers and chase truck if it comes along. Clip on to 2 tires and set the pressure on the valve and fire up the compressor. It takes about 5-6 minutes to fill up 2 trailer tires to about 65PSI from 15. This cost much less and does a great job! Between the deflators and inflators, airing up and down is now a breeze!

The last trip to Pismo, I met up with another group who convinced me to camp further back in the dunes (normally I try to camp just above the high tide mark so I can get out).... They promised they would get me up there. I was reluctant but I agreed.

I aired down and un-hitched my trailer on the hard pack and figured I would make my best attempt up sand highway without the use of a tow vehicle.. I actually got pretty far but did get stuck. The sand was way soft! Now they proceeded to hook up a pair of 4x4's (one in front of the other) to teh front of my RV and gave a whole new meaning to "pulling a train".. To my amazement, they drug me without any problem. The funniest part was watching the truck in the middle go sideways from being pulled in the front by one truck and having me attached to his bumper!

Edited by scott