More adventures of buying a toyhauler

andydew

My wife has been wanting one for a while now, but we have our old bus that's been bulletproof, so why, I thought; but when we had our shop burnt down, I donated my 28' cargo box to become my new "mobile" shop, so that is getting shelving, cabinets, and some bigger tools mounted inside, so that will longer be available to haul the toys. We tried flatbedding the toys out, but we quickly discovered 2 main issues with that option: First, we live next to a school, and when we left last trip out, it was the time of day when all the soccer moms drop off their kids. With a lot of stares, we realized that all our neighbors, including the lowlifes realized we were away from our house that weekend, and they could cleary see what we have, so we were very uncomfortable with that. Secondly, it started raining as we left, right after I washed the bus and the rail...when we got to the sand, the seats were wet, and thats not cool. Needless to say, I have been persuaded that we could downsize a bit, and get a 5er, since I already have the truck to pull one.

We started looking a month and a half ago. We settled our sights on a buddies stealth. He had it custom built in 2010, with granite countertops, bigger windows, 200 gal fresh water, etc, etc,etc. Better yet, he had the dealer deliver it to his house, because he didn't have a truck yet. He paid 56k cash, and never bought a truck. HE NEVER USED IT ONCE. 2years old, with plastic still on the carpet. We had a deal at 32k, then he reconsidered. A week later, he decided 33.5k was the price. I considered for a day or two, and agreed to pay a lil' more, but he wanted to talk it over with his wife. Another 2 weeks, and he called me and turned me down, thinking they would keep it. He is a good friend, so I understood where he's coming from; but what a bummer...We really had our hopes up.

After all of this, work took a nose dive, which made these events more understandable, so we kinda gave up looking. Discussing the story with another friend, he told me another buddy was selling his. It was an '04, but he thought he wanted around 23 or so. We didn't even go look. Then my buddy says he'll take 15...My wife and I went over last week to check it out. I noticed the exterior graphics were peeling, due to UV damage, but the inside was near perfect. I mentioned to him we were looking for one with dual bunks in the back, since his has only one. No slides either, which I was hoping for to get a lil' more floorspace. We left a little discouraged... The next week, he called me and said he'd take 11k. My wife and I talked about it, weighed the pros and cons, and decided we would get it.

Turns out, not an '04, It is a 2005 Sandpiper, by Forrest River, 38' fifthwheel. He also threw in his 22k hitch. We are planning on freshening it up a bit: New carpet, maybe tile in the kitchen, we'd like to reupholster the couches and window treatments. If anyone knows where I could buy the electric dual queens for the rear, please let me know :thumb: Outside it needs maintenance on the roof, new tires, and we'll probably peel the graphics and rebuff the gelcoat.

The best part of this purchase is the most basic need every guy has, I'll get my garage back, as the toys get loaded in their new home :headbang1:

We are pretty excited about this, and have our first trip planned for September @ Shaver Lake.

Here are a few iphone pics:

post-6067-0-32840500-1336320050_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-24839300-1336320059_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-07483400-1336320069_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-33500700-1336320077_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-52823300-1336320085_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-91566700-1336320094_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-51775900-1336320101_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-01223500-1336320109_thumb.jp

We were blessed in this purchase as it was 2 miles from home, from good friends, and obviously, the price :thumb: . We celebrated the sale by going out to eat with them last night @ Ookas, a Japanese hibatchi resturaunt here in downtown Riverside. :headbang1: What an awesome weekend :headbang1:

Really great deal! Instead of re-doing the twin beds in the back and losing some more headroom you may want to just put an air bed down on the floor and tip it out of the way in the morning. Just as comfy, with an air pump would take no time to fill and I bet the kids fight over the air bed vs. the typical lousy RV mattress? Either way you go you came out very well on the whole deal, congrats!!

Terry

That is a smokin deal, it is really nice to free up garage space as well! Dual bunks are EXPENSIVE to add I was told they needed to open the walls up and re-enforce, so we opted to look around and buy one already with duals. You bought this rig so right you could add them and still be looking sweet on the deal. Cheers! :beerpint:

Nice deal. We run a 40' weekend warrior that has the single bed in the back. We use the air bed under it to keep the head room. It is still a squeeze with the razor. The air bed works great and the kids will love it. Good luck and enjoy the new hauler.

I was coming around to he idea of just doing an air mattress, as money is getting tight, and low and behold, what do I find under the master bed....an air mattress and pump :woo_hoo:

I spent 3 days in a row working on the outside...what a job :blink: . I got all the decals off, and waxed the whole thing. It's not perfect, but it's a whole lot better now. Now we can start loading it up with all our crap :shake:

Here's how she looks now:

post-6067-0-16287300-1336699246_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-84610300-1336699254_thumb.jp

Makes it look newer, in my opinion.

Looks great! I want to do that to mine one of these days. I have been wanting to since 06 actually. lol

the sooner the better...the fiberglass under the stickers is bright white compared to the rest of the surface. Worse, some of the inked decals bled through a bit, leaving yellowed checkers from the "race flag" decals. 3 bottles of rubbing compound and wax later, it's better, but not perfect. This one sat in the sun most of its days though.

eitherway, it's A LOT of work, I'd hire someone if I had to do it again :cripple:

the sooner the better...the fiberglass under the stickers is bright white compared to the rest of the surface. Worse, some of the inked decals bled through a bit, leaving yellowed checkers from the "race flag" decals. 3 bottles of rubbing compound and wax later, it's better, but not perfect. This one sat in the sun most of its days though.

eitherway, it's A LOT of work, I'd hire someone if I had to do it again :cripple:

oh yeah. I know all about that. Some of the decals have come off on their own over the years and it shows how much glossier my trailer used to be! :bawl: