Clean-up 2014

Well after much debate and contact with BLM it looks like there will not be a sponsored by Friends of Dumont Dunes clean up. I suggested to BLM that they offer weekend passes to those who come in and sign the volunteer forms and bring trash back to the dumpster. That was 3 weeks ago and have not heard from them on it. I don't think it's much of a priority for them. After last year's last minute pulling of cooking and supplying food at the last minute and only by a lot of begging I got them to supply that, I just had a feeling they weren't to keen on it. I have done the clean up for the last 10 years and have finally just burnt myself out. So as far as FoDD putting it on there is just not enough active members or board members to put it together. I feel bad but I can only do so much and my meter is pegged. If you have any other questions about the clean up or lack there-of I would suggest a call to Katrina at BLM Barstow and ask her.

Thanks to all who have supported and helped over the last 12 years, it's a shame but we just have to pick up after ourselves and others that are slobs and truck it home and dispose of it.

Terry

Well Terry, I'm sorry to hear that. I know it was a lot of work for you, as well as others to put together over the years. We've been participating in the clean-ups since at least '05. I hate to break the streak, but it is what it is. I thank you for all that you've done to make Dumont a better place for all. :thumb:

so sorry to hear this Terry

the NEW management of BLM JUST DOES not get it...

for the MOST part peeps that go to the dunes are good family people. I ALWAYS take home more than I came with. it really is sad that we have to have a clean up, but what is EVEN sadder is that the NEW BLM MNGMT doesn't get it, people don't go to clean ups for a free meal, there on their own dime and sometimes people come out JUST for clean up, and costs them gas and money.

THE LEAST BLM can do it give em a friggen hot dog!!!

on another note cause I am on my soap box, WTH, I come in on the start day of the holidays, and leave on the last date of the holiday, I have YET to get a good road coming in on a MAJOR holiday..

Hoping they get it rite next year, Halloween, wrong weekend, Prez day they graded Friday??? DUMB just DUMB.... there were already 1,000's of rigs there.

ok Rant off.. other than that had a GREAT season out at D this year... on another note. The Sheriff's that come out ROCK! Good peeps and are real people..

Well after much debate and contact with BLM it looks like there will not be a sponsored by Friends of Dumont Dunes clean up. I suggested to BLM that they offer weekend passes to those who come in and sign the volunteer forms and bring trash back to the dumpster. That was 3 weeks ago and have not heard from them on it. I don't think it's much of a priority for them. After last year's last minute pulling of cooking and supplying food at the last minute and only by a lot of begging I got them to supply that, I just had a feeling they weren't to keen on it. I have done the clean up for the last 10 years and have finally just burnt myself out. So as far as FoDD putting it on there is just not enough active members or board members to put it together. I feel bad but I can only do so much and my meter is pegged. If you have any other questions about the clean up or lack there-of I would suggest a call to Katrina at BLM Barstow and ask her.

Thanks to all who have supported and helped over the last 12 years, it's a shame but we just have to pick up after ourselves and others that are slobs and truck it home and dispose of it.

Terry

Do you have this persons email address so we as a website can fire off mails to her?

• Like 1

:director: YNOT put your hearing aids in!!!

Jim, try google for Barstow BLM directory. Pretty easy to find the number and e mail addresses for everyone at Barstow BLM. I have my reasons for not laying the info in your lap. If you want to make a statement I don't want to be in the middle of it as I am still on the subgroup for the time being.

Terry

Any chance of a bunch of people from DDR getting together and doing something ? I will buy $100 worth of food and bring out a grill and some trash bags for a clean up effort. We can also fill the bed of my truck with as many bags as it will hold and I will dispose of it. Season pass holders could couple with people to carpool out for the day. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Any chance of a bunch of people from DDR getting together and doing something ? I will buy $100 worth of food and bring out a grill and some trash bags for a clean up effort. We can also fill the bed of my truck with as many bags as it will hold and I will dispose of it. Season pass holders could couple with people to carpool out for the day. Just a thought.

I would participate in that, however, I think the problem we're having is that the BLM is making it difficult to have an organized event. Although I'm not too familiar with all the hoops you'd have to jump through to make this happen, I'm thinking some sort of permit would still be required. Not so sure why, when we're willing to help clean-up our playground.

so sorry to hear this Terry

the NEW management of BLM JUST DOES not get it...

for the MOST part peeps that go to the dunes are good family people. I ALWAYS take home more than I came with. it really is sad that we have to have a clean up, but what is EVEN sadder is that the NEW BLM MNGMT doesn't get it, people don't go to clean ups for a free meal, there on their own dime and sometimes people come out JUST for clean up, and costs them gas and money.

THE LEAST BLM can do it give em a friggen hot dog!!!

on another note cause I am on my soap box, WTH, I come in on the start day of the holidays, and leave on the last date of the holiday, I have YET to get a good road coming in on a MAJOR holiday..

Hoping they get it rite next year, Halloween, wrong weekend, Prez day they graded Friday??? DUMB just DUMB.... there were already 1,000's of rigs there.

ok Rant off.. other than that had a GREAT season out at D this year... on another note. The Sheriff's that come out ROCK! Good peeps and are real people..

I agree with the road comment. I posted t his earlier in the week!

"Oh, since I'm on a roll. Why and the hell can't they hire a grader operator that knows what they are doing. I watched a grader operator spend over an hour trying to cover up a "Worm" right next to our camp site.

Also why in the Hell can't they grade and water down the entrance road a couple of days before Friday for those of us that purchase yearly passes and have to drive in on a road that is a 10 or 15 MPH road but the Friday people can cruise in at 25 plus MPH?"

For those that saw a post I made a while back that I wrote an e-mail to the State Of California person in charge of Dumont......I never got any reply! Yup Terry, no response as you predicted. I better sign off now as I am getting so worked up on what is going on with Dumont and a lot of other off road areas that we should be entitled to use without all the B.S.

Time for a drink! I'm fed up with what is going on at Dumont!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

California Desert District

22835 Calle San Juan De Los Lagos

Moreno Valley, CA 92553

Phone: (951) 697-5200

Fax: (951) 697-5299

District Manager: Teri Raml

Assoc. District Manager:

Tim Wakefield

Contact us by E-mail

Hopefully a bunch of people will write or call people. I did and I never got a response. Maybe others will have more luck!

I have a season pass already, I would also be willing (assuming I can make it on the weekend picked), bring a grill and chip in on food. I would honestly come out and pick up trash without someone giving me a free pass or food. This is our playground, even if BLM does not seem to be concerned with the cleanup we still should. I would rather clean it now without support, then years down the road lose it and wish I had done something sooner.

Not to mention, I would get to hangout with great people and get some riding in.

Edited by mineurbiz
  • Like 3

Wouldn't that be cool to get ticketed for having a unpermitted organized dune clean up.

See, and this is probably true, sad to say. If somehow we could put this together, we should take it upon ourselves and do it. Everyone who wants to participate, bring extra trash bags & maybe some food/drink, and we can meet up afterwards & enjoy some lunch & cool, cool beverages. I assume the clean-up would've been 3/15. How bout we keep the streak?

Got this from BLM today so make sure and get a copy of your volunteer form to get out free card!

Terry - The March 15 BLM volunteer clean-up event at Dumont Dunes allows for free access in order for folks to participate in the volunteer event. This event is deemed to be in the best interest of the government. Volunteers will need to have a copy of their signed volunteer agreement with them so BLM staff will be able to do appropriate compliance work. Given the remoteness of Dumont Dunes, it is reasonable to assume that folks will be on-site for more than just the 1/2 day event...soFriday night (3/14) to Sunday (3/16) would be appropriate for "free use", and may be an incentive for folks to actually participate in said event. I have forwarded this email to some of the Barstow staff that may be in the area over this weekend so we are all on the same page.