3 fatalities? wtf?

I heard there were 3 fatalities @ dumont over the weekend. is that true??? what the fug was going on out there??? must have been amatuer night @ comp hill or something.

if this is true, that is sad, and a huge blow to what we do, as you know that if it is true, it will be used against ALL OF US.

I can see it now, more rangers, more fees :beercheers: .............

think of it though cheese, there were how many thousands of people out there???? and only 3 died. and from what ive heard, none of them were from alcohol or people colliding with others, they were just accidents, this a sport that can be dangerous when you dont pay attention 100%.

think of it though cheese, there were how many thousands of people out there???? and only 3 died. and from what ive heard, none of them were from alcohol or people colliding with others, they were just accidents, this a sport that can be dangerous when you dont pay attention 100%.

when was the last time there were 3 fatalities in ONE weekend @ dumont? I haven't heard of that in over 2 years.

BTW dF did you get a new ride???? what is that bike in your sig???

Edited by RICHARDCHEESE

when was the last time there were 3 fatalities in ONE weekend @ dumont? I haven't heard of that in over 2 years.

BTW dF did you get a new ride???? what is that bike in your sig???

I'm not sure about 3, but there has been multiple fatalities before from what I have heard. :(

As for the new ride...no. It's just my old 94 YZ250 with new graphics. :D:undecided::beercheers:

Man, Godspeed to those families who lost loved ones. I haven't been to Dumont yet this season, but I'm thinking of selling my 2006 Yamaha. In the past week, I've read of so many people getting hurt in the ever-changing dunes. We're not teenagers anymore....if I get hurt out there.....no $$$ comes into our household. The last thing I want to see cresting a dune is a rail full bore at me.

Its always sad to hear of fatalities at the dunes we all love so much. But Im a firm believer, it doesnt matter where you are or what your doing, when its your time, its your time. You might as well go doing something you love.

I cant imagine sitting around in life not doin what I love cause im afraid of getting hurt. And believe me, I feel ya da burgh. If I got hurt, Id be screwed, im a single mother. But you just cant live life that way. Best thing you can do is be prepared by chance something was to happen!!

Just my 02 cents!

Exactly^^

I will never stop doing what I love because accidents out there. The majority of the time when accidents or fatalities occur out at Dumont is people misjudge the dunes. Rarely do people ever collide and get killed at Dumont. For the most part, everyone is safe on the big weekends as far as cresting dunes, etc.

It sounds ALOT more dangerous than it really is when you hear about all the bad stuff. Yes it is a dangerous sport, but so is something as simple as driving to work. You gotta still live life. :laughoff:

If I died out there doing what I loved, the last thing I would want is someone to stop doing what they loved because of me. :laughoff:

its hard to put in perspective though. What are the numbers? 30000 people for 3 days at the dunes resuls in on average 1.75 deaths for the 3 day period? Take any 30000 people in in city in the us for three days and I bet the average death rate due to injury is something like 0.2 or something.

If thats the case then yes its very very very very dangerous. You probably have a better chance at being killed at the dunes on a big week end then a cop on on the job any given day.

If 3 people did die last weekend ( ultralight not confirmed) but thats a 1 in 10000 shot........thats not good.

Man, Godspeed to those families who lost loved ones. I haven't been to Dumont yet this season, but I'm thinking of selling my 2006 Yamaha. In the past week, I've read of so many people getting hurt in the ever-changing dunes. We're not teenagers anymore....if I get hurt out there.....no $$$ comes into our household. The last thing I want to see cresting a dune is a rail full bore at me.

I agree 110%. Thinking maybe Pismo along the beach sounds better. I didn't realize how many people die there. Kinda scarey! I am a father and husband with a mortgage payment and don't want that.

its hard to put in perspective though. What are the numbers? 30000 people for 3 days at the dunes resuls in on average 1.75 deaths for the 3 day period? Take any 30000 people in in city in the us for three days and I bet the average death rate due to injury is something like 0.2 or something.

If thats the case then yes its very very very very dangerous. You probably have a better chance at being killed at the dunes on a big week end then a cop on on the job any given day.

If 3 people did die last weekend ( ultralight not confirmed) but thats a 1 in 10000 shot........thats not good.

I was there and I know two did for sure.

Exactly^^

I will never stop doing what I love because accidents out there. The majority of the time when accidents or fatalities occur out at Dumont is people misjudge the dunes. Rarely do people ever collide and get killed at Dumont. For the most part, everyone is safe on the big weekends as far as cresting dunes, etc.

It sounds ALOT more dangerous than it really is when you hear about all the bad stuff. Yes it is a dangerous sport, but so is something as simple as driving to work. You gotta still live life. :blury:

If I died out there doing what I loved, the last thing I would want is someone to stop doing what they loved because of me. :dunno:

Agreed. Just be happy and have a few :thumbsdown: in my memory.

You have a good point. Let's look at the figures. How many died in our city of ???? over the weekend. What's the ratio? There was a pretty good fatality on the highway this weekend. Enough to shut it down. How many others died of un-natural causes? Let's not take a SWAG at the figures, let's go for accuracy here.

ok 3 people died, BUT HOW MANY PEOPLE OUT THERE WERE HAVING A BLAST!!!!!!

I'm glad you think like that. Unfortunately, the people that want to get rid of OUR sport(s) don't think that way. they see it as 3 fatalities in one day. They will use this information to the best of their ability come time to meet with whoever they meet with to try to shut Dumont down, one way, or another.

trust me, I go through this crap with Oceano Dunes too!

Nah, no reason to quit.

I drop back in the pack when group riding,, and used to get stares from the other riders.

One by one they eat it,,, and learn why I dune a little safer, a little more cautious.

Dumont Dunes are Harry, brutal dunes.

Ya really realize it when ya spend time at Glamis.

Glamis will always be awesone, but Dumont is technical, ya can't get caughtnapping,,, and ya gotta think safe.

Pick off holiday/event weekends

Edited by Ross and Alice

First of all riding within your limits is always a good thing, second on a busy weekend just run a little slower, Third as I tell my grandson always believe that your invisible to other drivers and you have to watch out for them as they may not have a clue your there.

Lastly this is a dangerous sport and it's always good to have disability and life insurance to cover your azz and your family. And don't whine that it's expensive, just take a look in the garage and figure how much you have in the machines already and how they would probably be the first things to go if you needed $ to pay the rent.

Be Safe

First of all riding within your limits is always a good thing, second on a busy weekend just run a little slower, Third as I tell my grandson always believe that your invisible to other drivers and you have to watch out for them as they may not have a clue your there.

Lastly this is a dangerous sport and it's always good to have disability and life insurance to cover your azz and your family. And don't whine that it's expensive, just take a look in the garage and figure how much you have in the machines already and how they would probably be the first things to go if you needed $ to pay the rent.

Be Safe

You hit it all right on Terry!!!!!

Agreed. Just be happy and have a few :bawl: in my memory.

You have a good point. Let's look at the figures. How many died in our city of ???? over the weekend. What's the ratio? There was a pretty good fatality on the highway this weekend. Enough to shut it down. How many others died of un-natural causes? Let's not take a SWAG at the figures, let's go for accuracy here.

a search revealed 330-350 people die a year by trauma in clark county. 32% of deaths are by unintentional injury nationwide. as of 2005 2.4 mil people lived in nv with 70% in clark county. Thats 1680000 people and alittle less then 1 dies daily by trauma. I think thats 0.0000005 death rate by trauma.

Compared to a big week end at dumont.....guesstamate 30000 people. 1.25 deaths guess (i think on low side) is 0.00004, and if I did it right, thats 80 times more likely to die by trauma at Dumont then if you are the average southern nevadan in town on the same week end.

80 times more dangerous? Its actually more than that cause I used one per day instead of the decimal .9 whatever.

It could be even worse, it really depends on how many people are dumont? if its 15000 then its 160 times more dangerous.

Didn't an out of state couple die in their sandcar last year,, just about this time trying to immitate what that nascar car driver does at Dumont that was featured on Fox sports?

When did the Moss Ford owner & another sandcar fatal incident happen? Again, avoidable.

Like dnchevyman says, it's people killing themselves. Negligent manuvers, poor judgement.

Sad but true.

If ya ever want to practive safe off roading, Dumont is the place to start for sure.

The Ultalite guy is alive, but he has a long road of recovery ahead of him, and some serious medical issues approaching.

Eyes wide open to safety.

The really smart riders stay off comp when it's super busy.

Lots of Mushroom, meth and other drug users on it, mixed with alcohol and lots of horsepower.

Choose the time ya ride.

I don't need to preach to anyone in this excellent forum how much we all love to ride our quads and cars there.

Be selective when and where ya do too.

Be safe.

Let's not read about any of us getting stuffed.

Edited by Ross and Alice

Over/Under on Dumont being closed to off-roaders?

Of the thousands, no, tens of thousands of people that use Dumont, only a couple guys show up to the lawsuits and meetings with the BLM.

The orig sandemon (www.dumontsanddunes.com), is one of the most unselfish guys with his time and is as reliable as a hammer on issues keeping the dunes open.

He works long stretches of days and hours on his job at work, and the precious little time he has left to himself and his wife Kathy is devoted to Dumont Dunes.

Amazing how the people that use the dunes the most, and are the most vocal about keeping them open, never heard of or met the guy, or offered him any assistance in any way, or any assistance to anyone else with dune issues.

They'll stay open, safety has nothing to do with it.

Radical enviro groups that are in it for the money can have something to do with it though.

Look at Pismo, look at Glamis.

I remember thick skulled off roading friends saying; 'They'll never close them".

The enviros are the problem, not safety.

Edited by Ross and Alice