dunefreak Posted August 2, 2018 Posted August 2, 2018 I've been observing the dunes the last few seasons and it seems ATVs are almost obsolete out there. It seems everyone has sold off their YFZs, Raptors, and Banshees for side x sides or buggies. There's nothing wrong with that, but I wonder if anyone rides anymore? Dirtbikes seem to be much more popular than ever before but side x sides are pretty much the most common machine at Dumont now. Just curious what everyone's thoughts are. Thanksgiving 2013 looked a bit different than now. Thanksgiving 2017 Quote
raspadoo Posted August 2, 2018 Posted August 2, 2018 My daughter still rides a ltr450 and my son rides a YFZR, I love the quads after a wind blows through but they are kinda like a sea doos, only fun when its smooth out. All of the rails / side by sides making deep tracks make for a rough ride, even at 3- 4psi. 1 Quote
dunefreak Posted August 3, 2018 Author Posted August 3, 2018 I miss that. I only got rid of my Raptor a few years ago because it was getting old and had a million hours on it. Would love to get a new one, but I have too much crap already. Quote
Crusty Posted August 4, 2018 Posted August 4, 2018 My kids love their Quads, that is the market for Quads....Young (or Younger then us) People. Of course the new higher $$$ for anything "Performance" based are just crazy! Quote
DuNe~Rydher Posted August 4, 2018 Posted August 4, 2018 Same as above. I fought selling my quad for a season after getting into sxs's, but I just found myself riding it less and less. It wasn't because I didn't like it anymore, but the damn thing just beat me up. Once the rails and sxs's had 24hrs to tear up the sand, it just made the quad ride to brutal. My 6 yr old rides a suzuki 90, and i'll keep her on quads and bikes til shes much older. She won't be spoiled with a steering wheel. I think there will always be a spot for quads in the youth scene. Gotta say though, I do miss drag racing and hucking the 450r. 1 Quote
SandBox_Kid Posted August 7, 2018 Posted August 7, 2018 We've sold off our quads just recently like most others have mentioned. I'm trying to sell the low-travel sandrail now to upgrade to a side-by-side. When they first came out I was unimpressed, but now they've developed into something nice. We'll get more year round riding in with the side-by-side. Sand, desert and trail riding will be a viable option for us. Quote
sand chick Posted August 24, 2018 Posted August 24, 2018 I sold mine, cause, let's face it... I got old. I miss the feeling of sliding through the sand on my Honda. Doctor said no more... I still have to wear a neck brace in the Maverick. It's only a matter of time before I will have no choice but to get the neck surgery... Quote
CaptNkllm Posted September 6, 2018 Posted September 6, 2018 On 8/23/2018 at 9:25 PM, sand chick said: I sold mine, cause, let's face it... I got old. I miss the feeling of sliding through the sand on my Honda. Doctor said no more... I still have to wear a neck brace in the Maverick. It's only a matter of time before I will have no choice but to get the neck surgery... Go see Dr Dunn @ Desert Ortho https://www.doclv.com/doctors/thomas-dunn-md he did my neck and it is way better.. going to see him in December or Jan to get my back surgery.. He is an awesome Dr. Awesome surgeon. a few months and you will be great!! 1 Quote
metalalien Posted November 10, 2018 Posted November 10, 2018 Wish I still had mine but I would never race again unless I won the lottery or something. I'd just build a big duner or something and be done with it. But I have dogs now so all my money is going into the truck. Quote
Dive Bar Casanova Posted November 12, 2018 Posted November 12, 2018 (edited) We have 3 YFZ 450's. Just keeping them until it's certain the kids no longer want to ride. I'm too old to ride anymore so I keep them for the kids. Wish I didn't sell the Yami 250. Buying a Polaris 50 next week. I was told Yamaha is the only company still making Sport Quads. SXS's saved our interest in duneing. Sand cars are too much car for me, the kids never showed an interest in them and the trophy trucks I want would be about $300K. X3RS really fits our style. Really like SxS's. Friend Igor designing a Trophy Truck like I'd want: Igor Building it: Igor crossing the road in it at the Mint 400: wOnvoXw_lq.mp4 We had ridden our YFZ 450’s to the Glamis Beach Bar. A guy and his wife drove up in the first Rzr we ever saw and told us they liked it better and sold their quads. Wife mentioned thatll be the future BFD. That week we bought a 800 and they were discounting them 20%. Was able to convince Dave at Fullerton sand tire to build us (order) us a custom machined set of wheels with a 5” outside offset and beadlocks and paddles. Dave argued the beadlock part but I insisted and they came a few weeks later. We were here one of the very rare Rzrs at DUMONT and a buggy guy at Comp really resented them and made his opinion known. Now it’s 90% Rzrs or SxS’s when we look around comp. I think they gave duneing and off roading a huge boost. Quads were beating us to death and we went Elka and all the suspension relief tricks. Lanes on the roads in Utah that are designated SxS, whole towns economies take a huge boost from SxS visitors. Moab for one + Marysville, Panguich and emerging SxS friendly places like Deadwood and Sturgis. Polaris sales jump another $1 billion dollars each year since it’s introduction. $5 yearly billion last I checked. It made the company. Our first Rzr and one of the very first Rzr 800s: Edited November 14, 2018 by Dive Bar Casanova Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.