Dune Dogs

vegas style

I have read alot of people loosing there dog out in the dunes. Do you all know about microchip ID? it is a chip that is injected under the skin. when a pet is found and taken to a vet or pound they are scanned and if a chip is there it will give them a number that is linked to a country wide website with your contact info and sometimes your vets info also. just extra piece of mind and as far as i know it is a common practice to scan at all pounds... B)

oh and last time i had a pet chipped it was like $20 :laughoff:

I have read alot of people loosing there dog out in the dunes. Do you all know about microchip ID? it is a chip that is injected under the skin. when a pet is found and taken to a vet or pound they are scanned and if a chip is there it will give them a number that is linked to a country wide website with your contact info and sometimes your vets info also. just extra piece of mind and as far as i know it is a common practice to scan at all pounds... B)

oh and last time i had a pet chipped it was like $20 :laughing:

Yeah but you will only get the dog back if the person that took/found the dog takes it to the vet and they scan it. I still got my dog chipped, but can't rely on that actually getting her back to me.

Yeah but you will only get the dog back if the person that took/found the dog takes it to the vet and they scan it. I still got my dog chipped, but can't rely on that actually getting her back to me.

Yeppers. I mean, we didnt have her chipped yet. I know it sounds fake, but we were going to be getting her fixed, third shots, and chipped all this up comming weekend. But never got her back. and Im sure the people who TOOK her wasnt intending to give her back

I was just talking to someone about this at lunch. I told her the story about losing my dog and she told me about this chip thing. I have honestly never thought about it before because during the day we always have the dog on a chain, but at night once all the kids go to bed the dog just lays by our feet at the camp fire. He has been camping with us ever since he was a puppy. He has never left our side and then of course the one time he does he didnt have his name tag on. (It fell off like 2 days before we left for Dumont and i forgot to put it back on). I was lucky enough to have someone find him and return him. But i am giving it some serious thought about doing this just as another percaution. To the other people who have lost their dogs i hope you get them back soon, i know how you feel and it is awful!

Edited by luv2ride

it is just for that what if.????... at least peace of mind that if something does happen you have that much better chance of getting your pet back.

and it could help prove ownership hard to argue when there is a implanted id chip with your info tied to it!

my pets didnt even realy care when it was done just a quick shot.

my wife has been threatining to take our dogs to Dumont, i dont think its a good idea untill i get a hauler, then when we leave they can just run around in there, but while at camp my Australian Heeler will never leave my side...the chihuahua (sp) on the other hand.....i need to lo-jack his arse, i dont trust that dog, he would be gone in a heartbeat, so for me...no pups in the dunes for now

post-1497-1163058425.jpgBoth Simon and Brandy are chipped...but no exhaust :D There are several different RFID "chip" manufacturers that make them for animals, but 2 are most common for household pets. Each of my dogs have one from opposite companies. Most vet offices and Animal Control/Shelters have chip readers from both manufacturers. The key thing that you have to remember people is once your dog is "chipped" to register them online and keep your information current! Without this, if you lose your dog, it will be much more difficult to hunt you down to return your animal. Keep your address and contact numbers current!

Check out these sights for more info.:

http://www.homeagainid.com/

http://www.avidmicrochip.com/

Your dog sh*its bigger than my dog(s). :freakin_nuts:

another thing you could do is put your cell number on the collar.... most everyone has a cell phone.. in the last 2 years.. i have saved 2 dogs lost out down the river about 5 miles.... calling them while i rode my quad.... a puppy great dane and a aussie.. both black... we found the owners who where out looking for their dogs...thank god... just this last holloween i seen a lady driving her rhino... not knowing her littledog was running behind her... waaay behind her. i chased her down and stopped her telling her her dog was following her..... she went and picked up the little guy.... and last but not least... waking up to find a dog sitting in the front seat of our rhino... we found the owners.. 3 very happy stories.... i keep mine on a 60' rope and my eye on her at all times.. when i go for a ride.. she takes a nap in her kennel... safe and sound.. piece of mind...