dunefreak Posted May 17, 2019 Author Posted May 17, 2019 16 hours ago, IrnBear said: Zipping down the 127 toward Baker this past weekend, was heading to Cali for Mother's Day weekend and of course finish work on my Tattoo 😎 I could see a Cell Tower sticking up into the sky from the Hills between Baby and Big Dunes Sorry no picture IrnBear Way cool! That's great news. I'll see if I can dig up any more info or pics. Thanks for the update. 1 Quote
dunefreak Posted May 23, 2019 Author Posted May 23, 2019 I got some great info from Rose and the Barstow the BLM and Tom Gammon, pres of InterConnecting Wireless! See the article I posted... Quote
dunefreak Posted July 2, 2019 Author Posted July 2, 2019 On 6/29/2019 at 11:09 AM, GETSOME said: Any update on the cellular tower? yeah it's up and will be running by fall. It's all in that article. Quote
dunefreak Posted September 12, 2019 Author Posted September 12, 2019 Latest update: As we already know, the tower is fully constructed and ready for the carriers to install their equipment. Both Verizon and AT&T have signed leases and are deployed right now. The cell tower project manager cannot predict "on air" dates, but he is very optimistic for service to be up and running by Thanksgiving. Let's hope it all gets done earlier than that so we can see it functional for Halloween weekend. Fingers crossed. Quote
Sandemon Posted October 2, 2019 Posted October 2, 2019 Katrina told us November but she didn't tell us which November. 1 1 Quote
Bob-Oside Posted November 6, 2019 Posted November 6, 2019 I work for AT&T and have been watching for this site to come online, and unfortunately, I don't see anything imminent. If it is online for Thanksgiving I'd be really surprised. Unfortunately the reality is that it can take as long as 2 years to bring a cell site online. Another thing to manage expectations for all carriers is that this site is likely going to be served by a microwave shot to another site and microwave sites have nowhere close to the bandwidth that sites served by fiber have. So on a busy weekend, you may finally have a signal, but when everyone is trying to watch netflix/youtube/etc on their phones and in their RV's, the experience could be pretty poor. Don't mean to be a downer, I hope I'm wrong. See you around thanksgiving week. Quote
dunefreak Posted November 6, 2019 Author Posted November 6, 2019 10 hours ago, Bob-Oside said: I work for AT&T and have been watching for this site to come online, and unfortunately, I don't see anything imminent. If it is online for Thanksgiving I'd be really surprised. Unfortunately the reality is that it can take as long as 2 years to bring a cell site online. Another thing to manage expectations for all carriers is that this site is likely going to be served by a microwave shot to another site and microwave sites have nowhere close to the bandwidth that sites served by fiber have. So on a busy weekend, you may finally have a signal, but when everyone is trying to watch netflix/youtube/etc on their phones and in their RV's, the experience could be pretty poor. Don't mean to be a downer, I hope I'm wrong. See you around thanksgiving week. Thanks for the info. I guess we'll wait and see. Quote
Bob-Oside Posted November 12, 2019 Posted November 12, 2019 Got some word on AT&T, unfortunately not going to be online until closer to July 2020, maybe a little earlier if things line up, but definitely not before 2020. Also, since AT&T provides the backhaul for all of the carriers, I wouldn't expect the other carriers online much sooner. Also, I'm not an official spokesman. 2 Quote
sickone01 Posted December 9, 2019 Posted December 9, 2019 Does anyone have any updates on the cell tower? Quote
dunefreak Posted December 9, 2019 Author Posted December 9, 2019 11 hours ago, sickone01 said: Does anyone have any updates on the cell tower? I never heard from anyone over Thanksgiving whether or not the service was any better yet so we don't know if it kicked in just yet. I guess we'll find out this weekend. Quote
White Rhino Posted December 9, 2019 Posted December 9, 2019 Wasn’t any better, so I’d say it’s not up yet. last I heard Verizon was the closest carrier to being completed. Something about power not ready yet. Quote
dunefreak Posted December 19, 2019 Author Posted December 19, 2019 As of Dec 15th, the tower still wasn't up and running. Kinda strange how we were told that everything was done, but then we saw a bunch of solar up there over Buggy Roundup. Then we got this message on our FB. So NOW we wait. lol Whatever 1 Quote
Ooo Posted December 19, 2019 Posted December 19, 2019 If that is a recent set of pics, they have a little ways to go.... Quote
dunefreak Posted December 20, 2019 Author Posted December 20, 2019 2 hours ago, chris1223 said: If that is a recent set of pics, they have a little ways to go.... Why do you say that, cell tower boy? LOL And yes, it's a recent pic. Tower is up though. 1 Quote
dunefreak Posted December 24, 2019 Author Posted December 24, 2019 Getting a few reports of full 5 bars, text, video, etc just about everywhere in Dumont. I think Verizon is up and running on the new tower as of this week. 👍🏻 6 Quote
DuNe~Rydher Posted February 6, 2020 Posted February 6, 2020 Any updates on the tower working for anyone else but Verizon? Quote
bamxbam Posted February 7, 2020 Posted February 7, 2020 I’ll check on my way home tonight and let you know Quote
dunefreak Posted February 11, 2020 Author Posted February 11, 2020 Prez weekend with the crowds will be the true test for Verizon service, but I think it has been up and running. We had great service over MLK weekend. I doubt any other carriers work yet other than Verizon. 1 Quote
bamxbam Posted February 12, 2020 Posted February 12, 2020 Verizon works like a champ 5 bars lte the works 1 1 Quote
Reddragon Posted February 19, 2020 Posted February 19, 2020 Our Verizon peeps had 3-5 bars and were able to call and text. It was not good enough to stream video. I never looked at my phone all weekend, it was great!!! Quote
transporter Posted February 20, 2020 Posted February 20, 2020 Verizon is a joke when you're looking at the tower and don't have five bars that just doesn't make sense!!!!!!!🤬 Quote
dunefreak Posted February 20, 2020 Author Posted February 20, 2020 Worked great for me (Verizon). I uploaded a couple pics and video with zero issues. They went right through as if I was in town. The only dead zones seemed to be Comp & the Swingset. Quote
Footballfit Posted February 20, 2020 Posted February 20, 2020 Im an AT&T guy............no service for me Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.