Anyone know what happened?

dunefreak

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't personelly seen any of these kiddie tracks at dumont. But at amargosa they're everywere. Some 5-6' deep. Some r right in one of the main camping areas. Ur truck could get swallowed up in them. I hate em.

don if u had a dodge u could go right over them

Take responsiblity for your kids actions......hell, give them the shovel....maybe a little hard work after a couple of days play will install some work ethic. If your dog takes a dump on public land you're expected to pick it up! I hope everyone would read these boards and think....oh sh*t, I think that's the worm hole that my FAMILY made that killed that guy, "oh well, didn't bring my bobcat....ha, ha!.....live with that the rest of your life. Kind of like I shoot my pistol up in the air and the bullet came down and killed someone...."I didn't shoot at anyone"...but I did kill someone because of my irresponsible actions, this did happen in my hometown on new years eve....he was prosecuted and convicted.

More families should go on group rides, riding the flats does not teach you're kid to ride the dunes. Instead everyone just sits around bs'ing and drinking while the kids create a dust bowl. Get off you a$$ and take your kids out on the dunes. I know, "my kid has a 50 and it won't get arond"....lots of flat fune area and little dumont. And if the kids want to wine about wanting to ride all day long...teach them a little self discipline/self control. I worked as a pediatric RN in busy ER's for 5 years and I saw alot of kids who were the parents!

I do feel bad that someone died because they weren't watching where they were going.

We do go on group rides, but when we get back to camp the last thing they want to do is sit around and talk.....they want to ride. Letting them ride when they want isn't showing them a lack of self discipline or self comtrol, it's called letting them have fun. Something that seems most people forgot how to have because they're more worried about kids and the hazards they create..... :laughoff:

Yep shooting a pistol in the air and a berm track are exactly alike, great analogy. :freakin_nuts: Let's see the bullet I can't avoid because I didn't know it was going to come down on me...but this berm track out on a flat, they have a history of being there, can be dangerous, there is a speed limit....I think I'll just do the smart thing and cruise in case I come upon one.

JEEZUZ IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!!

What ever happened to "leave it like you found it". Guess we can't get upset at those punks at Glamis for digging a trench at the base of comp so people get hurt. Never answered the point about breaking out the shovels and leaving it like you found it, or asking your kids to do a little work. That's what life is; work hard so you get the privledge to play......we seem to have forgotten this these days. When I was young chores had to be done before playtime, even on weekends. Maybe they won't dig those wormholes so deep if they know they have to smoothed out when it's time to leave. Amazing how there is thousands of acres to ride but we have to limit it to one small track. Might as well buy an acre of desert land and save the travel.

What ever happened to "leave it like you found it". Guess we can't get upset at those punks at Glamis for digging a trench at the base of comp so people get hurt. Never answered the point about breaking out the shovels and leaving it like you found it, or asking your kids to do a little work. That's what life is; work hard so you get the privledge to play......we seem to have forgotten this these days. When I was young chores had to be done before playtime, even on weekends. Maybe they won't dig those wormholes so deep if they know they have to smoothed out when it's time to leave. Amazing how there is thousands of acres to ride but we have to limit it to one small track. Might as well buy an acre of desert land and save the travel.

post-475-1163778194.gif

Take responsiblity for your kids actions......hell, give them the shovel....maybe a little hard work after a couple of days play will install some work ethic. If your dog takes a dump on public land you're expected to pick it up! I hope everyone would read these boards and think....oh sh*t, I think that's the worm hole that my FAMILY made that killed that guy, "oh well, didn't bring my bobcat....ha, ha!.....live with that the rest of your life. Kind of like I shoot my pistol up in the air and the bullet came down and killed someone...."I didn't shoot at anyone"...but I did kill someone because of my irresponsible actions, this did happen in my hometown on new years eve....he was prosecuted and convicted.

More families should go on group rides, riding the flats does not teach you're kid to ride the dunes. Instead everyone just sits around bs'ing and drinking while the kids create a dust bowl. Get off you a$$ and take your kids out on the dunes. I know, "my kid has a 50 and it won't get arond"....lots of flat fune area and little dumont. And if the kids want to wine about wanting to ride all day long...teach them a little self discipline/self control. I worked as a pediatric RN in busy ER's for 5 years and I saw alot of kids who were the parents!

Couldnt have said it better myself.

We dont need the tracks there are thousands upon thousands of acres to ride...i was at the dunes today and i was heading back at dusk and was doing about 20 in our buggy and about went flying off one...i couldnt see it until i was right upon it...so dont tell me they are easy to see...yea back in the day we had them but there also werent as many people and stupid people at that...they also used to be the same ones and different ones didnt pop up every weekend...just remember your kids are having fun on it at other people's expense.

New to this forum but not new to Dumont, been hooked since 1973 and hope I don't sound like I'm "preaching" but one my unwritten rules is to ride slow on the flats 1) because of the "kiddie tracks"/"berms" and abandoned fire pits, 2) the camps you pass won't yell or throw things at you for keeping the dust at a minimum, and 3) didn't we come to Dumont to ride the DUNES? Even on the dunes riding in a straight line is dangerous if not looking left and right especially with the sun to your back, your only visual clues as to topography and depth perception is contrast/shadows which don't exist when riding towards your shadow, next time you're out ride into your shadow and look straight ahead then left/right and see the difference. That's how that double fatality happened, mid day and sun at their back, I had a friend do the same thing at that little bowl about 15 years ago but wasn't going fast enough to clear the down side but stuck the nose and endo'd to a gradual stop. Having lights above your line of sight only will do the same at night, no shadows. Anyway go crazy if you must ON the dunes, the flats are for camping and little kids anyway. Later

Edited by RUn2it

New to this forum but not new to Dumont, been hooked since 1973 and hope I don't sound like I'm "preaching" but one my unwritten rules is to ride slow on the flats 1) because of the "kiddie tracks"/"berms" and abandoned fire pits, 2) the camps you pass won't yell or throw things at you for keeping the dust at a minimum, and 3) didn't we come to Dumont to ride the DUNES? Even on the dunes riding in a straight line is dangerous if not looking left and right especially with the sun to your back, your only visual clues as to topography and depth perception is contrast/shadows which don't exist when riding towards your shadow, next time you're out ride into your shadow and look straight ahead then left/right and see the difference. That's how that double fatality happened, mid day and sun at their back, I had a friend do the same thing at that little bowl about 15 years ago but wasn't going fast enough to clear the down side but stuck the nose and endo'd to a gradual stop. Having lights above your line of sight only will do the same at night, no shadows. Anyway go crazy if you must ON the dunes, the flats are for camping and little kids anyway. Later

I agree with you to ride slow on flats and by people's camps out of courtesy...i dont want my camp dusted all the time with guys blazing by it at 40-50...i go about 20-25 on the flats...even then though...if u dont see one of those kiddie tracks like at dusk when it is so hard to see, that could even seriously injure you...they are just too dangerous in my opinion.

first off, welcome to the forum! :D:driver:

As for speeding near camps, I think people should be courteous and also obey the speed limit of 15 mph near any camp while riding on the flats. BUT, what about weekends like the picture below when there are only a handful of people out there? Are you gonna go 15 mph across the flats to get to the dunes when you are thousands of yards away from them?

post-3-1163975819.jpg

Yes, you have to be very careful because of the firepits, but those are nothing compared to those huge berms that blend in with with the sand. All people have to do is make them a little less dangerous by grabbing a shovel and smooth them out a bit after the kids are done riding and they are packing up to go home. If people did this along with trying to pay a little more attention while riding the flats, we would't be talking about this right now because nobody would die from accidents caused by them.

Not sure the legal speed limit by camps is 15 or 25 but I am sure that the rangers said the speed limit "by" camps is within 50 feet, so beyond that it's the riders discretion, or indiscretion as it may be. When there are few camps at the dunes I still go slow unless on my DRZ 2 wheeler and looking for stuff to fly off of, but still leave way more than 50 feet between me and any camps. I found visibility not so good on quads even standing, still have a low line of site and depth/topography perception is all about the angle of vision relative to distance an object is observed, at 3 feet above ground to an object at a distance of 50 feet is the same angle as 6 ft above at 100 ft, although object is smaller, if it's big enough to make you endo, twice the distance gives you twice as long to react (or kiss your ride good-bye). Anywho, going to Dumont Tues (in 2 days) if you see an LT500 with HID and helmet light give a wave (with all 5 fingers I hope)

I think the big picture is whatever we can do to keep the death toll down we should do it. Whenever someone is killed it just gives the eco-terrosits more ammo. Yes it can be a dangerous sport, but dying because of a worm track....... :shocked2:

my opinoin on the kiddie tracks is that they are fun but I believe that if youre kids are riding them and making the bigger please smooth it out a little.I use to go to dumont atleast 10 times a year. but i dont anymore on or soon after big weekends because of the kiddie tracks and all the drunk people riding and too much dust. every time I have gone I honestly filled my fire pit and smooth out any ruts i might make going in and out of camp just because I think of other people. everybody know that the sand is really deceiving of depth perseption every time ive gone in the last year I have ran over atleast one completely disregarded fire pit (not filled left as they made) or kiddie track. I dont hate them just the people who dont clean up after them selves out there. NO MATTER IF YOURE GOING 15 OR 50 you usually dont see them till there right in front of you. and one more thing. if youre kids are gonna make on of those tracks please keep it in youre camp cuz people dont ride through youre camp I HOPE????? SO PLEASE LEVEL OUT THE TRACKS BUT I THINK PEOPLE ARE GONNA START SINCE SOMEBODY DIED FROM ONE pity that some people dont get smart till someone gets hurt

also another thing to think about:

THE MORE PEOPLE GET HURT AND DIE FROM STUPID $H!T OUT AT THE DUNE THE MORE PEOPLE WILL WANT THEM CLOSED OFF!!

I think the big picture is whatever we can do to keep the death toll down we should do it. Whenever someone is killed it just gives the eco-terrosits more ammo. Yes it can be a dangerous sport, but dying because of a worm track....... :shocked2:

People have died because of those...in fact last year, i was talking to someone, and a guy hit one going pretty fast and he died...so it aint b.s. that someone could die from them because THEY DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People have died because of those...in fact last year, i was talking to someone, and a guy hit one going pretty fast and he died...so it aint b.s. that someone could die from them because THEY DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spider, dude you need to calm down. He wasn't denying that it has or could happen. All he was saying is that it is BS that it has happened...like that it sucks. At least that's how I read it.

You make it sound like people with money shouldn't go to the dunes, is it reserved for white trash? I think you meant people with no common sense, with or without money. Payments on a quad are probably $150 a month for a 450......not that much money for a powerful quad that can hurt you.

What are u gettin at ?? All the normal people who cant afford 100 grand rails and diesel pushers or nice toy hailers are white trash? Big deal i may not own a brand new truck hauler or a rail but me and my old dodge and my 150 a month 450 and a tent are right at home at the dunes , and if thats white trash so be it , you can have all your fancy stuff , who need all that to be happy at the dunes ...

What I meant was, if you would have read the post, was exactly what I have bolded. It's not a money thing, it is a common sense thing. I don't have money either, but I think I have alot of common sense.(well most of the time) :hello:

Sorry for the confusion of my last post. I meant just like Dunefreak said....its sucks that anyone should die like that......IT SHOULDN'T HAPPEN! I've heard a handfull of accounts of people dying from wormtracks. I remember about 2 years ago, 2 kids riding on quad (I know that's wrong), crashed and died that way. Some things just can't be avoided....fate....but no excuses for this to happen. Once again, sorry for any confusion or any hard feelings. :hello:

experiance or not alcohol or not its tragic our hearts go out to the family! those worm holes suck i just cant beleve people just haul a$$ without knowing where there going, for instance would you race down a dirt road you have never been on? especally at night! personally i putt one way and race back in unfamiliar areas, some may say he wasnt going that fast but ive been riding a long time and have never seen someone flip a quad and subtain that much damage from 10-15mph, and no one deserves that!