long travel rail crash on open trailer story.

I think that people shouldn't go riding after dark. Most of the more serious accidents I've ever seen or heard about happen at night. It is very unsafe to ride at night. There should be a law to stop people from riding in the dunes after sundown.

Don, no more duning at night? WTF :freakin_nuts:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40???

The top speed of sandcars is much more than 40. :laughoff: Even a POS volkswagon can reach 60-70 mph very easy in the dunes. :barf:

Read what the guy wrote....he was going up the backside of comp...dont think he was doing 70 or over...its not like he was on the flats...thats why we read before we right comments....a vw isnt going to go up the backside of comp at 70 :barf::laughoff:

Read what the guy wrote....he was going up the backside of comp...dont think he was doing 70 or over...its not like he was on the flats...thats why we read before we right comments....a vw isnt going to go up the backside of comp at 70 :driver::laughing:

well yes, we were talking about the guy going off the top of comp in this situation. I suppose we have to go with what you THINK. Maybe the car WAS going almost 70. All I was doing was stating a fact that sandcars go over 40 in the dunes. That's what you have to remember. And yes....I did read before I wrote comments too. :laughing:

So what is your point here? You said a helmet would have helped, but you agree at higher speeds they can also break one's neck like OGP said. :stick_smack: So...we all need helmets because sandrails are dangerous, but we also have to put on head and neck retraints now when we go over 40 mph? or do we? :laughing:

actually a 2lb helmet killed a dune rider in big bowl about 4 years ago he landed his jump but the whip lash snapped his neck. he jumped into big bowl. I m not saying anything pro or con just kind of wierd incident.

im glad the guy is ok it could happen to anyone . there was a guy named chilidog man he lives in orange county. they were loading up to go home he was pulling his rail around to load it in the trailer. no seatbelt did hotrodding or whatever and was killed . Wife kids succesfull bussiness gone...........

every ride should be treated the same safley as possible.

and lastly you cannot get 70 mph out of 2nd gear in a sand car, but im sure whatever speed it was. was to fast.

thats why nascar introduced the neck piece they wear now my son uses somthing very similar when he rides his dirt bike it ties to his chest protector

jusy my 2 cents reflecting i guess.............

Well we all know "The human head weighs eight pounds" you add an extra two to that and who knows. what could happen. But I agree if helmet weight would cause an increase in spinal and neck injuries I doubt they would be as important as they are. Very extensive and scientific testing goes into helmet mfg.

well yes, we were talking about the guy going off the top of comp in this situation. I suppose we have to go with what you THINK. Maybe the car WAS going almost 70. All I was doing was stating a fact that sandcars go over 40 in the dunes. That's what you have to remember. And yes....I did read before I wrote comments too. :laughing:

So what is your point here? You said a helmet would have helped, but you agree at higher speeds they can also break one's neck like OGP said. :stick_smack: So...we all need helmets because sandrails are dangerous, but we also have to put on head and neck retraints now when we go over 40 mph? or do we? :laughing:

This whole argument is one that can not nor will it ever be solved. I would not dream of going on a dune run without a helmet, but you should have the right to decide for yourself what you want to do, and I don’t think that the Government ought to be telling you what you can and cannot do.

That said I do not think that anyone that gets hurt while riding without a helmet should get any public assistance, because they have not used any and all means to protect themselves. :driver:

I'm making a suggestion that we not get on this helmet kick again. There are not enough statistics out there to prove anything. As of right now there is no law requiring anyone to where a helmet in a car. It's up to the individual and let's keep it that way. There can be many other arguments for people not doing all they can to protect themselves. If that's the case there would be too many things in life that would be banned for not being safe. This sport or hobby can be dangerous but that is a chance that will be taken to further the enjoyment of my life.

As far as public assistance, I don't think that anybody that gets out of bed in the morning should get any public assistance because they have not used any and all means to protect themselves. The definition of safely is to perform a task without risk and with that being said there is NOBODY that can do ANYTHING SAFELY. Everything you do has some sort of risk attached to it. The only way to go duning safely is to not go duning at all. Arguments such as these are what the tree huggers use to get places such as Dumont shut down. They make their false statements to the general public that has no clue what we do to get them on their bandwagon.

Take care of your own and don't worry about the others!

I'm making a suggestion that we not get on this helmet kick again. There are not enough statistics out there to prove anything. As of right now there is no law requiring anyone to where a helmet in a car. It's up to the individual and let's keep it that way. There can be many other arguments for people not doing all they can to protect themselves. If that's the case there would be too many things in life that would be banned for not being safe. This sport or hobby can be dangerous but that is a chance that will be taken to further the enjoyment of my life.

As far as public assistance, I don't think that anybody that gets out of bed in the morning should get any public assistance because they have not used any and all means to protect themselves. The definition of safely is to perform a task without risk and with that being said there is NOBODY that can do ANYTHING SAFELY. Everything you do has some sort of risk attached to it. The only way to go duning safely is to not go duning at all. Arguments such as these are what the tree huggers use to get places such as Dumont shut down. They make their false statements to the general public that has no clue what we do to get them on their bandwagon.

Take care of your own and don't worry about the others!

One major problem with your last statement...if i take care of my own and not worry about others, that is what will kill me. :( ...you always have to worry about other people and ways to reduce your risk

As for the argument everyone keeps saying about the government shouldnt tell me what i can and cant do...i dont understand this statement at all...they tell us what to do everyday of our lives...we cant kill, rob, not wear a seatbelt, speed, etc. etc.etc....i just dont understand how one could argue that when there are thousands of laws telling us what to do everyday. Just my opinion. :driver:

well yes, we were talking about the guy going off the top of comp in this situation. I suppose we have to go with what you THINK. Maybe the car WAS going almost 70. All I was doing was stating a fact that sandcars go over 40 in the dunes. That's what you have to remember. And yes....I did read before I wrote comments too. :stick_smack:

So what is your point here? You said a helmet would have helped, but you agree at higher speeds they can also break one's neck like OGP said. :driver: So...we all need helmets because sandrails are dangerous, but we also have to put on head and neck retraints now when we go over 40 mph? or do we? :laughing:

i dont disagree with you whatsoever that cars can go over 40 in the dunes...ive been over 90 in the dunes.

I wore a helmet once in my partners LS1 DesertDynamics all chromoly with 8 big Fox coilovers/3 way by-pass shocks and I made him go back to camp to leave the helmets .... WHY? Because landing nose first with a helmet and no "HANS" (Head And Neck Support)device can cause the same injury that killed Dale Earnhardt when he spun and did a "1 O'Clock" into the wall, called baselar skull fracture, when the base of your skull still attached the the vertabrae detaches/breaks from the skull, caused by a violent deceleration with your body restrained but your head with the extra weight isn't, your head is whiplashed forward. On my 2 and 4 wheeler I always wear it to protect from my bikes and others but in a car I personally don't/won't wear one without a HANS. If you have good seats like Beard etc and a good 5 point you might get beat in the face by the arms of the guy sitting next to you (not to mention lack of nets on rec cars) but that probably won't kill you, that's the reason you tell everyone that hasn't graduated from car endo school, in the unlikely event of a crash to cross their arms and grab their shoulder harness, even if they don't grasp them to try and keep arms and legs tucked in. I try to find a good foot rest to wedge my arse back in the seat, keeps your back straight for a hard 4 wheel landing and can help prevent a compression fracture of your lower back. Watched 2 kids in 1 of their dads rail launch off the left side of comp and as it did a nice arch over the top it was also rolling clockwise from the torque and never letting off the throttle, they survived but beat the heck out of each other with their arms. Soon they'll have enertia sensors that will cinch the belts tight in rec vehicles like some of the trick road cars

Read what the guy wrote....he was going up the backside of comp...dont think he was doing 70 or over...its not like he was on the flats...thats why we read before we right comments....a vw isnt going to go up the backside of comp at 70 :driver::stick_smack:

I thought you were an extremely educated man??

Thats what I thought :laughing:

:dunno: your not on here to make friends and riding buddies?

not making many new friends with statements like that. discussion is what this forum is about but talking smack to someone you dont know about a hypothetical situation sounds like you just want to argue.

how about you come out meet a few poeple :shocked2: sit by the fire and have a nice discussion before getting rough and tumble on here. cool :driver:

So i wasnt paying attention...ah well, at least im still smarter than you...i have a j.d., but you probably wouldnt know what that is.

:shocked2:

Just because you have a degree does not make you any smarter than anyone else. Period. I have one......big deal.

Besides we're here for post-475-1164046237.gif how about you?

post-475-1164046172.gif

:shake: your not on here to make friends and riding buddies?

not making many new friends with statements like that. discussion is what this forum is about but talking smack to someone you dont know about a hypothetical situation sounds like you just want to argue.

how about you come out meet a few poeple :hello: sit by the fire and have a nice discussion before getting rough and tumble on here. cool :thumb:

Well said, Steve. DDR is not about this: :argue: Now let's all stop and raise our mugs! :thumb:

:argue: your not on here to make friends and riding buddies?

how about you come out meet a few poeple :hello: sit by the fire and have a nice discussion before getting rough and tumble on here. cool :thumb:

First off, I dont even care I am just messing around. Not trying to offend anyone. Not even being serious about arguing, just stating my opinion on stuff. The last comment was for a guy who attacked my education first. I dont care that he did, so I was just giving it back to him. I guess I will stop giving it if people wanna take it so serious.

Edited by Spider

• 1 month later...

s4 trans with 1.67 second and 4.43 r&p @ 6400 with a 33 inch tire= 84.9mph Most stock or cammed ls1's can go to 6400 but 70 would obviously be a bit less and very reachable. Remeber it had a boost gauge in it so the r&p might not be very low.

Shoot it could have had 35's on it.....even. 70 is no problem.

s4 trans with 1.67 second and 4.43 r&p @ 6400 with a 33 inch tire= 84.9mph Most stock or cammed ls1's can go to 6400 but 70 would obviously be a bit less and very reachable. Remeber it had a boost gauge in it so the r&p might not be very low.

Shoot it could have had 35's on it.....even. 70 is no problem.

ok look at the car again its not turboed . pimps car runs 75 to 83 up comp thats probably third and fourth and its "biult and blown" that car looks like stock ls1 (im not knocking it just saying) i bring this up because most likely they have a similar trans unless pimps running albins or fortin,

i dont think you fully appreciate how much of a biult monster you need to pull 80 plus up comp you may think ls1s are pulling it but they are not 80 plus is the realm of turbos and blowers. and were in third and sometimes 4th on such a short hill,

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/invision/i...c=2542&st=0

i think this thread might help so you understand what im saying. kinda like the old "my jet boat does 70" till the radar gun comes out and he is running 45

look at the pics there is no tires or turbo notice the air intake and exaust system

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/invision/i...ic=2746&hl=

and before this turns into a flame war let me add that i said with standard sand gear sets in a mendeola. that car looks like it was a very nice ls1 car with a 2d tranny .

we went from 33" inch paddle to a 39" paddle without regearing....go figure...

and you probably picked up between 6 to 10 mph {and i could do it to mine but my tranny would be in pieces}

Edited by barefoot bob

Bob, I know it wasnt turboed, but I looked over the car very close, and what you can not see in the picture is the boost gauge, so it could have been geared high for a future turbo or supercharger . I know there are no tires either, but almost every LT sand car, runs something around 33 inches. And just duning is alot different then racing from a stop up comp(maybe he just came down a hill and carried 20-30 mph at the bottom). Everyone said impossible....its just what the owner said, and is possible with the right set up, but yea unlikely, even if it was 50 mph, doesnt matter caus ethe end result is in the pictures.

Bob, I know it wasnt turboed, but I looked over the car very close, and what you can not see in the picture is the boost gauge, so it could have been geared high for a future turbo or supercharger . I know there are no tires either, but almost every LT sand car, runs something around 33 inches. And just duning is alot different then racing from a stop up comp(maybe he just came down a hill and carried 20-30 mph at the bottom). Everyone said impossible....its just what the owner said, and is possible with the right set up, but yea unlikely, even if it was 50 mph, doesnt matter caus ethe end result is in the pictures.

i agree that 30 or 40 is a likelyhood. i never meant to imply anything negative about the you , the the owner,or the car. the turbo cars arnt geared as high as you think theres 900 hp cars running tall tires and lower gearsets than mine. most of these cars are geared rather close the turbos just get us there waaaaay faster :D i dont mean to be a doubting thomas but 70 up comp in a stock ls1 i cannot believe

but as you said doesnt matter the end result is.........................................

nice picks happy holidays bro :beercheers: