Dumpsters at Dumont?

Dumpsters at Dumont  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see dumpsters at Dumont Dunes? (if paid for by the duners)

• yes
    • no

I have been going to Pismo since 1975. I disagree with you about the dumpsters helping.

Picture this.

It's at the end of a busy 3 day weekend. A camera crew from a local T.V. station drive out to the beach. I see the cameraman set up his tripod and camera looking at the dumpsters. The dumpsters are overflowing and there is trash all over the ground. There was even an old burned up bar-b-que with propane tank attached, tipped over on the ground. I stop and ask the camera man why he was shooting the dumpster instead of the ocean at near sun set. His reply........"This will make people tune in when they see the clips for the news." I'm thinking Holy S--- you gotta be kidding me. He proceeds to tell me how people go crazy when they see that on TV. Sounds like amunition for the Greens to me.

True Story.

PACK IT IN, PACK IT OUT.

:mischevious:

thats the freekin liberal media for you...controversey sells... too bad you don't see them out there with the Friends of the Oceano Dunes, when they have their semi-annual trash pickup.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another vote for no dumpsters. I agree that we should all pack out more than we bring in. :rockwoot:

too bad they couldnt catch those trash leaving a$$holes and take their ID's and BAN them from coming to the dunes... LONG TIME DUNER 27 years.... always left my camp cleaner than when i showed up.

No dumpsters. I go to Oceano also and the last several times there were piles of trash out on the dunes. Oceano has dumpsters and it doesnt cure lazy nor disrespectful. Plus rangers are few and far between there not going to sit there and police a dumpster. There is only one cure and that is to hire a full time sniper to sit on top of one of the larger dunes and start picking off the lazy. This could be a cure all for society as well

Well I think metered Dumpsters could be a good idea

Another Idea here. With The cooperation of the BLM and San bernadino Sherriffs dept on a couple of Big weekends Why not set up a Sniper stand So to Speak, Couple of peeps at vantage points with binoculars scoping out offenders adn reporting the vehicle to Sherriff and BLM as they leave the caompground with Trash behind. Once word gets out that this is happening even Lazy and disrespectful people will start paing attention to it. Not all But every little bit helps.

I spent 4 days at Glamis Pad 1 over Prez wkeend last year, camped within a stone's throw (or 2) of the dumpsters. Never saw any trash on the ground and never saw any dumpsters overflowing.

Do I want to pay extra for dumpsters at Dumont, no. Do I want to get some appreciable service from the BLM out there for my current money....yes. They should be able to put some big roll-on/roll-off containers out there at least 4-5 times a year over the big holidays.

It's high-time we start demanding accountability in the fund expenditure arena. They have the money currently, they just choose to spend it on cops that aren't doing jack for us.

Edited by rich807

I spent 4 days at Glamis Pad 1 over Prez wkeend last year, camped within a stone's throw (or 2) of the dumpsters. Never saw any trash on the ground and never saw any dumpsters overflowing.

Do I want to pay extra for dumpsters at Dumont, no. Do I want to get some appreciable service from the BLM out there for my current money....yes. They should be able to put some big roll-on/roll-off containers out there at least 4-5 times a year over the big holidays.

It's high-time we start demanding accountability in the fund expenditure arena. They have the money currently, they just choose to spend it on cops that aren't doing jack for us.

Let me understand this; you want the fee money we pay in to go for dumpsters so people who brought out trash but are to lazy to haul it home instead of paying Law Enforcement officers who keep some kind of control over way to many knuckleheads who drink and drive, drive to fast for conditions, drive unsafe vehicles and do other very stupid stuff. Oh and if you get hurt by one of these idiots I guess you don't mind wasting your "golden hour" waiting for a ranger or ambulance out of Baker to get there for you. Me personally have no problem with LEO's I would like more. I personally am tired of all the friggin idiots that have taken a great place and dropped their trash all over it and sent to many people to an early grave. But that's just my opinion and I respect your right to your opinion even if it is wrong! :pissed::laughoff:

Edited by ynot

Let me understand this; you want the fee money we pay in to go for dumpsters so people who brought out trash but are to lazy to haul it home instead of paying Law Enforcement officers who keep some kind of control over way to many knuckleheads who drink and drive, drive to fast for conditions, drive unsafe vehicles and do other very stupid stuff. Oh and if you get hurt by one of these idiots I guess you don't mind wasting your "golden hour" waiting for a ranger or ambulance out of Baker to get there for you. Me personally have no problem with LEO's I would like more. I personally am tired of all the friggin idiots that have taken a great place and dropped their trash all over it and sent to many people to an early grave. But that's just my opinion and I respect your right to your opinion even if it is wrong! :pissed::laughoff:

That's not the way I read his statement, Terry.

Here are some quotes about the trash containers at Glamis.....

Yea, that 4-5am music s*** has to end. This morning on the way out we stopped at the dumpsters to unload, man what a fricken mess. There were couches and all kinds of other s***. The first few dumpsters has bags stacked all around them, couldnt hardly see the dumpster anymore. From about the 5 dumpster on they were all empty
Now I noticed the trash trucks were in and out of there ALL EFFING DAY doing a great job of emptying them. I thought, cool, finally it won't be a s***hole over there. We left at 330 AM last night, and just as you said, a GIANT trash pile next to 8 empty dumpsters. :( Maybe the trash can area can be the Pound's Adopt A Wash area. Otherwise, we will all be shut down for the actions of a bunch of a-holes. With the Rhinos, we can move the trash that extra 25 feet to the empty cans and dump it where it belongs. Sad thing to see for sure. :( If you haul a couch ALL THE GODDAMN WAY TO GLAMIS, YOUR SORRY a$$ CAN HAUL IT HOME.

Just reading stuff like this tells me that putting dumpsters there isn't going to solve the problem. If you think so...you're kidding yourself. I think we should learn from the experience others have.

Dumpsters wouldnt serve their purpose anyways because they are just going to be filled with garbage from people who take their garbage home and throw it away...the people who leave their trash everywhere are still going to do it regardless if there are dumpsters or not...

i just want the road paved so my stuff doesnt get dirty :pissed::blury:

ok, dont take this the wrong way. but um, maybe if you want your stuff to stay clean, um, stay outta the dunes! :pissed::dunno::laughoff:

Edited by Sincity_blondie

That's not the way I read his statement, Terry.

"It's high-time we start demanding accountability in the fund expenditure arena. They have the money currently, they just choose to spend it on cops that aren't doing jack for us."

This is what I am addressing Pete, the money has to come from somewhere. If you want dumpsters you are going to have to use $$ planned on use for something else like medical and LEO. Even if we raise the fee to cover having dumpsters there the increased fee takes a year to accumulate to pay for it. During that catch up time the LEO and Medical budget has to be cut. It's really quite a dog and pony show. Truth is we cannot watch what everybody does we can only watch what we and people in our sphere of influence do. Trick is to educate and widen the sphere of influence.

http://www.death-valley.us/article1434.html

BLM trying to educate recreationists on importance of truly packing out trash – not just dumping it in nearby towns

By Jon Klusmire

Off-road enthusiasts enjoying the Dumont Dunes have been well-trained when it comes to the “pack it in and pack it out” concept concerning their trash. Now they are getting a little reminder that they need to pack their trash all the way back home, instead of stopping and dumping it in Tecopa.

When it became apparent earlier this winter that Tecopa’s limited number of private dumpsters was getting swamped with trash, the Bureau of Land Management moved “aggressively and fast” to staunch the flow of drive-by garbage dumping, said Roxie Trost, the Barstow-based BLM field manager for Dumont Dunes. The BLM paid for additional dumpsters in Tecopa, paid to have those dumpsters emptied and is providing flyers concerning trash and Tecopa to Dumont Dunes users, she said.

Those moves, however, were seen as short-term solutions. The long-term solution, she said, is getting people to take their trash home and not dump it anywhere along the route. Putting dumpsters or other trash collection stations in the Dumont Dunes is not currently being considered, Trost said.

The BLM will keep working on the Dumont Dunes trash situation, she added, so Inyo County doesn’t feel the financial burden of having to pick up after visitors to the dunes.

The Dumont Dunes Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Area is located about 18 miles south of Tecopa, along State Route 127, in San Bernardino County. The 10,500-acre site is managed by the BLM and designated for OHV use, and is getting plenty, with about 130,000 visitors a season (from October to May). Trost estimated that about half those visitors come from the Las Vegas area, thus travel through Southeast Inyo to and from the dunes.

This winter, those Las Vegas-bound travelers have been packing their garbage out of the Dumont Dunes, then stopping in Tecopa and other towns along the way home to deposit their trash, said Chuck Hamilton, director of Inyo County’s Integrated Waste Management Program. “Most of the time, the waste exceeded the capacity of the bins in Tecopa,” he noted.

That situation is what prompted a call to Trost, and the BLM’s decision to install one new dumpster in Tecopa and add another one during holiday weekends, when use soars at Dumont Dunes, said Trost. Signs were also posted informing travelers that they shouldn’t be dumping in Tecopa.

In addition to the dumpsters and signs, Trost and other BLM staffers were stationed at the dumpsters to query potential dumpers about their deposits, and inform them Tecopa wasn’t the place to unload a weekend’s worth of garbage.

That two-pronged approach to holiday weekends started during Thanksgiving and continued through New Year’s Day, and seems to have made a difference. “We’ve already seen a decrease” in the number of people and amount of trash ending up in the Tecopa dumpsters, said Trost.

There’s a good side and a downside to the dumpster plan, noted Second District Supervisor Susan Cash. Everyone should be “grateful the public is using the dumpsters and not trashing the land,” she said. But a wave of trash washing up in Inyo County from visitors would impose “a huge burden on a small county,” she added.

The sight of “neat little bundles of trash along U.S. 395” is evidence, however, that not every traveler is so thoughtful about garbage disposal, pointed out Fourth District Supervisor Jim Bilyeu.

Trost stressed the BLM would be working to take care of the trash problem, and would monitor how the extra dumpsters and educational efforts worked this season. Since the Dumont Dunes site is operated under the federal “Recreational Fee Program,” the BLM generates about $300,000 a year in fees that can be used to maintain, staff and police the area, Trost noted. The dumpsters in Tecopa and the cost of hauling that trash comes from the fees, she added. If Inyo County feels it is being impacted by visitors to Dumont Dunes, the county can “call me anytime” to discuss any costs or impacts “the BLM needs to cover,” said Trost.

“That sounds reasonable,” said Cash, who suggested the county and BLM meet in May to review the situation and address any concerns.

Currently, Trost said the BLM has no dumpsters in the Dumont Dunes, and would prefer not to put dumpsters at the site. In several instances, the BLM has had “bad luck with dumpsters” at several recreation areas, said Trost, and often finds a site will be “cleaner when no dumpsters” are available, forcing people to pack their trash out.

She cited several instances where on-site dumpsters created problems similar to those at a regular dump. The Glamis Dunes, managed by the BLM El Centro Field Office, offers trash collection on-site, Trost noted, but that move created a dumpster-full of problems. Those problems included people not quite getting their trash in the dumpsters, leaving mountains of garbage on the ground, locals and visitors rummaging through the trash looking for recyclables, animals rummaging through the trash looking for a meal and people using the BLM dumpsters for regular trash to avoid dump fees.

“We don’t want to promote a dumpster-dependent society,” she said.

Instead, the BLM’s approach at Dumont Dunes is “an education effort” to get users to follow all the way through with the “pack it in, pack it out” concept by taking their trash back home, she said, instead of dumping it at the site or in nearby towns.

The dunes provide a good setting for the educational approach, she noted, since there is only one entrance to the site. Thus, when visitors pay the $20 fee, they can also be “educated” either verbally or with the informational flier that addresses the trash situation and strongly suggests a solution.

The flier states rather boldly, “Do Not Dump Your Trash in Tecopa or Any Place Else,” and explains the BLM’s stance on not providing trash collection at the Dumont Dunes.

The flyer concludes, “Dispose of it at home! We recognize that this is a burden, but the best solution for everyone is for each of us to Pack It In and Pack It Out.”

Copyright © 2006 Inyo Register

No dumpsters at Dumount. Sounds like a great idea but when they are full people will just leave their trash bags or worse on the ground to blow over the open desert. Thier could be a spot at entrance to give out trash bags. It works very well at Lake Mead, and gives people a reminder of the right thing to do. Ive been hauling out my trash and sometimes the idiots from the next camp for 31 years. just got to keep reminding vistors. Or Dumount will become a heavly regulated Glamis.

• 1 month later...

I personally cringe at the thought of dumpsters at Dumont. I have seen the mess that Glamis has, and the main reason people just leave their bags next to it, is because they are afraid it will tear open when they go to hurl it up into the bin. I have absolutley no problem packing out what I bring in.

Like many, I would also like to see where all of the money is going. I dont even have a problem paying more if it is needed. $60 for the year is cheap fun. What I would like to see is a series of educational signs as you go through the toll area. These signs should say;

"Please take your trash home with you"

"Please dont leave Comp Hill a mess for someone else to clean"

"Please don't place bottles or cans in your camp fire"

"No burning of Pallets"

"Pease dont speed in the camping area's, there are small childen riding, and your only making unnecessary dust (Its not my stuff I dont like getting dirty, its whats on my BBQ)"

"Please learn to appreciate this place, even though your parents didnt teach you to respect others and things, someday it will be your turn to teach"

"Party, have fun, be responsible"

"If there are too many rules for you here, go to Glamis.....Its bigger, has better parties, has trash bins, etc..."

Maybe some of the stores in Baker and Pahrump would be open to allow dumpsters at their location in hopes of attracting more business. Maybe a sponsor of the dunes type deal????

Edited by racertim23

No dumpsters. I manage a complex full of college kids and they can't seem to get the trash IN the dumpsters so I can imagine what a mess a bunch of drunk, careless, immature duners would do. Just a thought, how about looking into putting some of those cardboard trashcans around Dumont / comp hill? Maybe that would give some idiots the hint?? Again just my opinion.

Edited by sandqueen

what if blm handed out orange trash bags to the people that wanted to help keep dumont clean.. and blm provided a trash bin to carry all the trash out.. rather than putting dumpsters for everyone to dump their trash in

I love the idea of the BLM handing out trash bags. When you go through the gate at Pismo you get a little information booklet and a trash bag.

I have personally handed out trash bags to duning families near me who seem to have left theirs at home... it breaks the ice, cleans up the mess and cost me maybe three cents and maybe 5 minutes of my time.

I think having the rangers hand out trashbags would send a definite message that it's a priority at Dumont.

Vicki

Sounds like amunition for the Greens to me.

I understand what you're saying, but if that was a true scenario, each and every public beach would be closed to use on holiday weekends. Ever see Pacific Beach after the fourth of July?

The one "environmental" concern I have when it comes to dumpsters, is adding an element that can be used against us. Dumpsters draw critters who can in turn endanger sensitive species. It is one more nail in our coffin.

Someone asked who is pushing for dumpsters... it has been brought up several times at the TRT meetings but it is my understanding that the BLM is not pushing for them. I'll check the notes but in the meantime if someone else can fill in the gaps (Terry, John?) please do. As I recall it was brought up by an off-road leader.

Vicki

What do you mean, "at the expense of the duners"? The entrance fee will go up if you put in dumpsters? $20 per truck is already way to high. The dunes have to be making a whole lot of money already, and you want more.

The only thing I see different about the dunes since the entrance fees started is port-a-potties and more police. With all the money you make from us duners, you should be paving the road in. That road sucks... and it needs to be paved.

So I say yes to dumpsters and yes to paving the road in, and that should be at the cost of dunes sir, not the duners! Because we already pay too much! :woo_hoo:

• 3 weeks later...