Polaris Predator/Apple Valley sh*t talk

Bound4Dirt

name='MindTrigger' date='Jan 5 2007, 11:19 AM' post='45116']

No one here said "OMFG I'm so jetted... I'm going to Pwn everyone on the the dunes!".

i have seen people that were that way, thinking cause someone jetted thier pile, they were the fastest out there, thats what i was referring to this whole time.

Anyone who is into performance vehicles will tell you that every little thing makes a difference. Race cars take every single detail into account. Hell, in Pro Drag racing, they make changes to the motors based on the relative humidity and other atmospheric conditions for the track they are at to get every last drop out of their cars. People will roll there cars up to the line with bags of ice on their intakes to make sure they get a little colder air into the motor for the run.

you mean the air density formula? that is ---> 32.2x barometric pressure in LBS. FT.2 X (current temp+460+1718)

to get barometric pressure in lbs ft.2, take barometer reading, which is in inches of mercury, and multiply by 70.7328

there now everyone can tune like a pro! btw, ive used this with my camaro, and while at the track with friends.

bags of ice, i had a few friends that would put dry ice under the runners on high rise manifolds to try and cool incoming air, really, it doesnt make enough of a difference to bother with, unless you need to gain .002 for some reason. how about cool cans for fuel, or mixing some methonal in, or blah blah blah.....

i could go on and on, but im just showing ya im not some bench racer retard, and i actually know what im doing. i know every little thing helps. adjusting timing, changing your dist. advance weights, adjusting idle feed restrictors, adjusting accelerator pump linkages, changing accelerator pumps, changing air bleeds, gettting light weight ring and pinions, reflashing your computer, changing injectors, increasing airflow, blah blah blah

Here's one for you. My last car, an Audi S4 (Biturbo V6) was so undertuned stock, that I got another 50hp from my motor JUST doing the chip. Ask guys what a chip will do on a Turbo Diesel truck.

jeez, im not even responding to this...

Edited by dnchevyman

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

christ, thats not what i was getting at. judging by your guy's responses, you think im a young kid that doesnt know crap. well, my backround includes (engine tuner for NASCAR Craftsman truck team, i have a camaro that had a 542hp 383 with a 275 shot of nitrous, im a car guy, i know my stuff, ok now that ive said that.) of course jetting it will make it run better and have more power than if its not jetted properly, duh thats a given.

and talking about gale banks and deisel chips, where did that come from, talk about left field. no crap jetting will increase power and make it run better, im not denying that. heck, i even jetted my bike for that reason! how crazy is that! but seriously, making something run correctly is all jetting does. it doesnt really gain horsepower, it just corrects a problem that was robbing horsepower. all youre doing is making it run correctly.

its just funny to me that people associate it to be a big modification, like adding a pipe and a big bore kit, all i was saying is that there are people out there that talk about jetting thier bike, and think its like doing a big bore kit with a turbo. i know its an important part, but its not really a mod persay, its just and adjustment. i guess maybe im not explaining myself good enough. whatever.

Well, no one around here thinks that jetting is a big deal, just a little part of a bigger picture. Sorry if it sounded like we were talking down to you, but based on your post, you seemed confused, and I don't know your background, being new around here.

I'm curious though how you think jetting (or correcting parasitic horsepower loss) does not constitute a gain in horsepower. I guess it's all in the point of view. I consider the stock performance to be the base to measure from. I don't go by the engine's potential. You may be correcting a design flaw (or emissions bs) that is robbing power, but if the horse power goes up, it's a gain.

jetting does gain horsepower i guess, ill give ya that. but its a tune, not a real modification. lets put it in car terms, its like someone saying, "yeah, i got a 69 camaro, i rejetted the carb". its just a tuning thing so it doesnt run like crap. its not the same as saying, "yeah, i added the ZEX crossbar system with a 2 stage controller" (nitrous stuff). thats what i was trying to get at. the short and skinny of the whole thing was, i was only referring to the people out there that do have the thinking of "my bikes sooo jetted, im gonna be the fastest out there" you have probably seen these people. thats all i was referring to.

Edited by dnchevyman

I've seen a 560 Predator out at the dunes and it was very quick. Take off those asian bike goggles you have on, and you will see things more clearly. :beercheers::P The stock 500 isn't slow like every Yamaha owner wants to pretend it is (not saying you ride a Yam, cause I have no idea), and that 560 is built like mad. There is no way it is slow.

As a Predator owner, I'll be the first one to tell you that the *stock* Predator 500 isn't in the same class as the YFZ for racing. The YFZ is a track machine though. It came with ZERO factory mods, and cost nearly another $1000 more out the door. It has a bad a$$ engine for certain.

As you know, Predators (up until this year) came with a bunch of upgrades, including Fox suspension and pro steering (which kicks arse) . My Limited Edition also came with the Troy Lee Edition close ratio gear box, white bros exhaust, douglas yellow label wheels, Maxxis Razr 2 tires, upgraded bumper and grab bar, etc. My LE still cost me probably $700 less out the door than a YFZ. Now I'm doing the rejet, intake, rev box, sprocket etc - still haven't caught up to the cost of a YFZ and have a much better equipped machine. You won't see me bash on the YFZ (or the other 450s) except in fun, because none of them are crappy quads. My uncle has a couple YFZ's and I enjoy messing around on them. His stock suspension SUCKS compared to mine though.

Yes, the predator is heavier, but I'll take the weight with the other features, and reverse which makes mountain trail riding / exploring a dream. I feel the same way about the suspension and steering. VegasPredator and I have taken our quads over trails full of bowling ball size volcanic rocks up in Munds Park, AZ and they went over it very smoothly. The pro steering really shines on terrain like that. If all I wanted was a sand toy, I *might* have purchased a different quad. I did lots of research before buying this, like I do all my vehicles. The engine is rock solid, taken from their snowmobiles, and there are tons of mods for it. It will be interesting to see where the KTM partnership goes. All the big ATV magazines say great things about the predator, including calling it the best "all around" quad. That's exactly what I wanted.

As for good ole fashion sh!te talk, hell I'm down with that too :)

Someone mentioned thinking Polaris was a Canadian company. No, that's Can-Am / Bombardier which I believe is in Quebec. Polaris Industries Inc. is headquartered in Medina, Minnesota.

I know they owner very well and have ridden with him many times and ill tell u that that particular bike is nothing specail And I do ride a yamaha but its a banshee!! :beercheers:

yeah I know what you mean. I get a laugh out of all the Honda (car) drivers with stickers and ugly a$$ body kits. hahaha It's all good. Simple forum miscommunication.

Edited by MindTrigger

christ, thats not what i was getting at. judging by your guy's responses, you think im a young kid that doesnt know crap. well, my backround includes (engine tuner for NASCAR Craftsman truck team, i have a camaro that had a 542hp 383 with a 275 shot of nitrous, im a car guy, i know my stuff, ok now that ive said that.) of course jetting it will make it run better and have more power than if its not jetted properly, duh thats a given.

and talking about gale banks and deisel chips, where did that come from, talk about left field. no crap jetting will increase power and make it run better, im not denying that. heck, i even jetted my bike for that reason! how crazy is that! but seriously, making something run correctly is all jetting does. it doesnt really gain horsepower, it just corrects a problem that was robbing horsepower. all youre doing is making it run correctly.

its just funny to me that people associate it to be a big modification, like adding a pipe and a big bore kit, all i was saying is that there are people out there that talk about jetting thier bike, and think its like doing a big bore kit with a turbo. i know its an important part, but its not really a mod persay, its just and adjustment. i guess maybe im not explaining myself good enough. whatever.

Here is a quote from what you wrote all jetting does is make the bike run correctly. This is why I disagreed. You came into complain about the 15T, jetting, and what not, then when we all disagreed you back peddled. Be honest.

If you now agree, great. Again, everything you do will increase the performance. You picked on the 15T. What your not understanding is this only plays into the hp and tq curve. When you get it. The reason why someone has a 3:73 rear end VS a 4:10 rear end. Same thing.

Edited by Bound4Dirt

I know they owner very well and have ridden with him many times and ill tell u that that particular bike is nothing specail And I do ride a yamaha but its a banshee!! :beercheers:

Nothing special is in the eye of the beholder. Nothing special compared to what?? :)

Well, no one around here thinks that jetting is a big deal, just a little part of a bigger picture. Sorry if it sounded like we were talking down to you, but based on your post, you seemed confused, and I don't know your background, being new around here.

I'm curious though how you think jetting (or correcting parasitic horsepower loss) does not constitute a gain in horsepower. I guess it's all in the point of view. I consider the stock performance to be the base to measure from. I don't go by the engine's potential. You may be correcting a design flaw (or emissions bs) that is robbing power, but if the horse power goes up, it's a gain.

Agree. I thought the same.

jetting does gain horsepower i guess, ill give ya that. but its a tune, not a real modification. lets put it in car terms, its like someone saying, "yeah, i got a 69 camaro, i rejetted the carb". its just a tuning thing so it doesnt run like crap. its not the same as saying, "yeah, i added the ZEX crossbar system with a 2 stage controller" (nitrous stuff). thats what i was trying to get at. the short and skinny of the whole thing was, i was only referring to the people out there that do have the thinking of "my bikes sooo jetted, im gonna be the fastest out there" you have probably seen these people. thats all i was referring to.

I am really not picking on you and if it seems that way I am sorry from the start. With that said, a car is different than a quad in my opinion. These quads come REALLY lean for emmissions (thus green sticker). So, when you get them to where they should be, its a noticeable power increase. To go from say a 150 main to a 165 main is huge. More fuel. More fuel is more power. You must agree? If these mods did nothing, then why is everyone buying $400 pipes, jet kits, etc. The power increae is more noticeable than a car when an exhaust goes on. It is different. Put a flowmaster on your '69 Camaro. Probably say nice sound. Nothing more. Put an exhaust on a quad. You will probably say nice sound and picked up some HP too. :beercheers:

Edited by Bound4Dirt

Here is a quote from what you wrote all jetting does is make the bike run correctly. This is why I disagreed. You came into complain about the 15T, jetting, and what not, then when we all disagreed you back peddled. Be honest.

If you now agree, great. Again, everything you do will increase the performance. You picked on the 15T. What your not understanding is this only plays into the hp and tq curve. When you get it. The reason why someone has a 3:73 rear end VS a 4:10 rear end. Same thing.

the 15 tooth had nothing to do with it, not ever, i just made up a list of mods was all, did i ever say anything about the gear change? and no crap is the same as a rear end change. duh..., i was only talking about the jetting. no i didnt backpeddle. i simply tried to clarify what i was trying to say. which was, i was only making fun of the people that jet thier bike, and then think they have the fastest crap on the hill. kinda like the honda guys that put a wing on thier car and claim a 5 h.p. gain. check it out, im over it. this is retarded.

Edited by dnchevyman

the 15 tooth had nothing to do with it, not ever, i just made up a list of mods was all, did i ever say anything about the gear change? and no crap is the same as a rear end change. duh..., i was only talking about the jetting. no i didnt backpeddle. i simply tried to clarify what i was trying to say. which was, i was only making fun of the people that jet thier bike, and then think they have the fastest crap on the hill. kinda like the honda guys that put a wing on thier car and claim a 5 h.p. gain. check it out, im over it. this is retarded.

All I see is a lot of back peddle. :beercheers: You said "15T". So I comment on it. :beercheers: My point, you come in here to "make fun" of people and look dumb in the process. Good job :laughoff:

I copied your original post to keep you from scrolling

"I love it how you guys are talking about your mods "piped, 15tooth, and JETTED!" LOL. jetted, like its some super mod that gains about 15 horsepower. lol. i guess saying its jetted sounds like something great.

my bikes jetted, i even re-jetted it for coral pink, and im rejetting it again now that im going to a big bore.lol.. yea, i jetted my bike today, keep it on the down low. haha. all jetting does is make the bike run correctly."

Edited by Bound4Dirt

All I see is a lot of back peddle. :headbang1: You said "15T". So I comment on it. :ahhhhh: My point, you come in here to "make fun" of people and look dumb in the process. Good job :woo_hoo:

I copied your original post to keep you from scrolling

"I love it how you guys are talking about your mods "piped, 15tooth, and JETTED!" LOL. jetted, like its some super mod that gains about 15 horsepower. lol. i guess saying its jetted sounds like something great.

my bikes jetted, i even re-jetted it for coral pink, and im rejetting it again now that im going to a big bore.lol.. yea, i jetted my bike today, keep it on the down low. haha. all jetting does is make the bike run correctly."

hey, notice how JETTED IS IN CAPITOL LETTERS?? that was signifying that was what i was talking about. your a tool

so did i, but bound4dirt didnt see those posts i guess?? im still confused as to why he thought i was making fun of putting on a 15t front? lol, i dont think he was actually reading the posts.

Edited by dnchevyman

hey, notice how JETTED IS IN CAPITOL LETTERS?? that was signifying that was what i was talking about. your a tool

In English grammar, it's what's in the quotes is what your talking about...lol :ahhhhh:

Bottom line, if you change what you wrote and not include what is in quotes and say differently. Fine by me. I am good with it :headbang1:

Edited by Bound4Dirt

Going to try. I will see if I can get one tomorrow. I am taking Friday off to get everything ready. I should be able to get it on if I can get one locally. Can't wait to run with my new tires and hopefully the 15T. I know the tires will make a HUGE difference since those others SUCKED BAD.

Did you order it? :headbang1:

Did you order it? :headbang1:

He didn't get the 15T yet. We will have them for the next trip. Right about now he's getting his hauler ready for the drive out to Dumont. I'm heading up there in a few mins. loooong drive for me.

Have a good weekend!

Not to spark something, but you say more fuel more power, this is true when you add more air correct? A motor is a big vacuum the more air fuel you give it the better it runs. So to just say the more fuel you give it the more power is not totally accurate. Also not saying that you are implying this but I have to agree that so many people post about their bike being piped and jetted as if they just bored it out or port and polished the motor.

But whatever you ride and whatever you have done, just have fun and be safe.

Not to spark something, but you say more fuel more power, this is true when you add more air correct? A motor is a big vacuum the more air fuel you give it the better it runs. So to just say the more fuel you give it the more power is not totally accurate. Also not saying that you are implying this but I have to agree that so many people post about their bike being piped and jetted as if they just bored it out or port and polished the motor.

But whatever you ride and whatever you have done, just have fun and be safe.

I know that wasn't directed at me, but I would say that getting your motor bored / stroked is the exception not the rule. Most people probably leave their machines completely stock, so mentioning that you have exhaust/jet/intake is at least saying something. Those mods alone can add 5HP or so, which is a nice kick in the shorts on most quads.

I'm outta here..heading to the dunes!! Laters all.

He didn't get the 15T yet. We will have them for the next trip. Right about now he's getting his hauler ready for the drive out to Dumont. I'm heading up there in a few mins. loooong drive for me.

Have a good weekend!

You too. Be safe! :headbang1:

I know that wasn't directed at me, but I would say that getting your motor bored / stroked is the exception not the rule. Most people probably leave their machines completely stock, so mentioning that you have exhaust/jet/intake is at least saying something. Those mods alone can add 5HP or so, which is a nice kick in the shorts on most quads.

I'm outta here..heading to the dunes!! Laters all.

5hp is a lot. I heard 3hp to the rear tires. But, that is 10% in most cases which is good :headbang1: