Tax dollars hard at work.

painterjoe

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here amongst us doesn't waste their employers money? So the rangers are real people and wanted to have a little fun? Yeah they need whips and it sounds like that has been handeled. Truth is these guys work long shifts of 12-14 hours + a 1 ride to baker or pahrump so they can sleep and come back and serve and protect you. I do not begrudge them any fun!

Yeah I know that tickets were given out and I haven't heard the whole story but for some reason they thought it was prudent that they issue them. Maybe at that time of night after having several ok probably a lot of beers they let you guys off as easily as they could. I don't know I wasn't there but after spending some time in Law Enforcement I can safely bet you that everybody got off easier than they might have. Not saying the tickets were right but that well they were just a ticket not a long drive with chrome braclets? :dunno: :freakin_nuts:

Agree. My only issue was the whips.

I'm at a loss for words. All I can say is :freakin_nuts: to all the rangers out there enforcing the rules and then break them.

The only rule I see them breaking is I didn't see a whip on either ride. The whips only really come into play in the dunes so you can see another vehicle before it's too late.

I am in no way saying that they are above the law, the should play by the same rules we all do. As someone else stated. They are just having fun like us!!

If you follow the law you have nothing to worry about :D

I'm at a loss for words. All I can say is :dunno: to all the rangers out there enforcing the rules and then break them.

Geez Ash? Youv'e never left camp without a flag? sh*t happens, someone talked to their supervisor and it should be ok now. Of course you could print the picture ID the officers and make a citizens arrest on these violent offenders? :freakin_nuts: :headbang1::woo_hoo:

So here amongst us doesn't waste their employers money? So the rangers are real people and wanted to have a little fun? Yeah they need whips and it sounds like that has been handeled. Truth is these guys work long shifts of 12-14 hours + a 1 ride to baker or pahrump so they can sleep and come back and serve and protect you. I do not begrudge them any fun!

Yeah I know that tickets were given out and I haven't heard the whole story but for some reason they thought it was prudent that they issue them. Maybe at that time of night after having several ok probably a lot of beers they let you guys off as easily as they could. I don't know I wasn't there but after spending some time in Law Enforcement I can safely bet you that everybody got off easier than they might have. Not saying the tickets were right but that well they were just a ticket not a long drive with chrome braclets? :dunno: :freakin_nuts:

You bring up alot of good points. But..... :D , for one, they choose to work those long shifts and get paid alot to do it (overtime). Sure they can have fun but do it on thier dime not mine. If that was any of us out thier without whips it would have been a ticket. Thier suppose to be out thier "protecting us not drag racing or doing wheelies up a hill. To watch these two make fools of themselves was very un-proffessional . I've been "picked on" so many times from the rangers on B.S. calls , heck, on the way in to dumont one cop stopped me to tell me to turn off the fog lights on my truck because they were hurting his eyes. :headbang1: they all put a bad taste in my mouth, granted there are a few good one's but the bad one's take thier power waaaay too far. As far as wasting my employers money, I at least try not to get caught. :D

Why has this turned into an attack on me or the ones who got tickets? That's completely beside the point. Yes I got my ticket, yes I'm gonna b*tch about it because I wasn't doing anything wrong in my opinion, and then I'm gonna pay the fine like a big boy. :headbang1:

Terry, I have no problem with them having fun, but aren't they there to keep an eye on things? How can they do that when they are duning their bikes up the hill or drag racing their trucks? I bet the chit would hit the fan if somebody was in need of assistance or something happened where they were needed to respond to it and they were out having fun instead of being there for the public.

Those are not Rangers in the pics, just to clarify, they are SBSO. Not that I am a cop lover or anythig but damn givem a break, after they get a ticket for no flags! I am gOOd freinds with a sherrif here in Barstow and he takes his hauler and rail with him on the holiday weekends and during his sometimes less than ten hours off in a 24 hour period he goes and dunes for a lil while. Gets a lil sleep, showers and works! I have been let go by a BLM before with a warning and I no that I was over the legal limit (had to tow my buddy from comp at midnight and was already trashed at camp!). I have a LITTLE bit of respect for the law enforcment I see out there UNTIL I have a bad experience.

Why has this turned into an attack on me or the ones who got tickets? That's completely beside the point. Yes I got my ticket, yes I'm gonna b*tch about it because I wasn't doing anything wrong in my opinion, and then I'm gonna pay the fine like a big boy. :freakin_nuts:

Terry, I have no problem with them having fun, but aren't they there to keep an eye on things? How can they do that when they are duning their bikes up the hill or drag racing their trucks? I bet the chit would hit the fan if somebody was in need of assistance or something happened where they were needed to respond to it and they were out having fun instead of being there for the public.

Or if they hurt somebody, while having a " little fun". They shouldn't have been on two wheelers anyways, you could tell they were novice riders.

Edited by painterjoe

get over it guys! dunefreak has a right to b*tch because he was harrased. he payed proper respect to the badge when getting the ticket . Now he gets to blow up. nothin wrong with that.

I perssonally dont care they were racing. good for them, at least get an idea why we like it there .it might make them better equiped to do the job. :headbang1:

they need to stay away from comp and get the camp racers! and when that tuesday morning meeting hits im gonna howel that to the heavens.

the trucks need to be stopped duning no green sticker no dunes. some a$$ hat got me fighting mad getting close to my kids in a toyota pickup IN THE BABY DUNES ! im chasing 6 7 and 8 yearolds he didnt do it once but 3 effen times .those trucks dont belong. well maybe they do, but the retards that drive them dont !! :dunno: and that nissan was flat out reckless endagerment on the side of that hill.

:freakin_nuts:

i feel better ill go poop now :woo_hoo:

You bring up alot of good points. But..... :D , for one, they choose to work those long shifts and get paid alot to do it (overtime). Sure they can have fun but do it on thier dime not mine. If that was any of us out thier without whips it would have been a ticket. Thier suppose to be out thier "protecting us not drag racing or doing wheelies up a hill. To watch these two make fools of themselves was very un-proffessional . I've been "picked on" so many times from the rangers on B.S. calls , heck, on the way in to dumont one cop stopped me to tell me to turn off the fog lights on my truck because they were hurting his eyes. :freakin_nuts: they all put a bad taste in my mouth, granted there are a few good one's but the bad one's take thier power waaaay too far. As far as wasting my employers money, I at least try not to get caught. :D

Getting badge #'s and reporting them is simple. It will stop the bad apples. In case you didn't know, reporting them usually will keep them from getting a promotion. Not sure of the laws when or when you can't use fog lights, but I would have asked. If no law, they would have stayed on.

Getting badge #'s and reporting them is simple. It will stop the bad apples. In case you didn't know, reporting them usually will keep them from getting a promotion. Not sure of the laws when or when you can't use fog lights, but I would have asked. If no law, they would have stayed on.

fine im reporting you and john gottis roomate.......................................................................

Why has this turned into an attack on me or the ones who got tickets? That's completely beside the point. Yes I got my ticket, yes I'm gonna b*tch about it because I wasn't doing anything wrong in my opinion, and then I'm gonna pay the fine like a big boy. :rolleyes:

Pete, this was not an attack by any means it was just a statement. Everyone is saying how bad the rangers are and some of that I believe was fueled by the tickets issued. The rangers may have been on their off time but I doubt it how many of us dune with guns? Yes it appears they are novice riders but what a way to learn by watching the other riders and then making attempts to master their machines. They should have flags and so should their trucks I agree. If things are said about it at the meeting it will become a hot item and I would figure that it will be taken care of. I am just saying that I get tired of all the hassle that the rangers get on this and other boards but we(as a group) do nothing to support them or respect them for what they do. Yes they get paid O/T but it is still work and think about this. How grouchy would you be if you were 1 of let's say 20 officers for the whole weekend surronded by over 30,000 people most who have been drinking and have attitudes. Wouldn't you be a bit grouchy and hard nosed after picking up the pieces all weekend. They have a tough job and I respect them for doing it. Could they do better in the way they treat people you bet! It has been a bone of I have picked at every opportunity at trt meetings and other contact with supervisors.

Please don't take my posts as being against you Pete or anybody else. I am speaking of general terms. If I had a bone to pick with any one person I would do it in private and not on here. I love this board and am just trying to be a reasonable voice based on a lot of experience.

Just curious: Has anyone entertained the idea that maybe those guys were on a "break" when they were at the hill, and they were on their own time??? Just a thought. :rolleyes:

By the way, I think they should get tickets for riding without flags. There's plenty of proof (pictures)!

There is a big difference between a ranger and a sheriff. And like another DDR member said, you guys have absolutely no clue as to how many serious offenses get overlooked at the dunes. Such things as DUI's,drunk in public charges, etc. At least 50% of duners are guilty of either 1 of those charges during a dune weekend. So you ask, should cops practice what they preach? Yes they should. Are cops perfect? Nope. Are you? Most likely not. I will tell you one thing, All of you will forget about this flag incident when your loved 1 just got hit by some freak thats drunk off his a$$ and your son/daughter/friend/etc is being flown out in an attempt to save their life. Or when there is a some freak shooting up a school or when a terrorist crashes a plain into a building. Who runs into the gunfire, not away? Guess. Who is there to pick up the pieces when someones kid gets raped or murdered?? Who is there to lay it on the line every day and risk not going home to his or her family? That same dude that made a few trips up comp without a flag on his bike....during a short break in the middle of his 14 hour day. Yep, nobody likes Law Enforcement.....Until they need them. Then they can't get there fast enough.

I have no qualms with the Rangers/Cops/Sheriffs riding the dunes and having fun while off duty. However, any Gov't job that I have had, and wore a uniform had rules about wearing that uniform while off duty. The reason for that is obvious to me and should be glaringly obvious to others, but might not be. They are setting an example for the entire law enforcement group and any bad or misconceived perceptions reflect on the entire force regardless if they are in the right or not. This thread is a great example. What if one of them got hurt....or damaged Gov't property in the act of playing around?post-475-1172081549.gif

there is a time and place for everything and that pic it looks like that wasent the right time, especially with no flags and running pretty fast bikes with uniforms on. I am going to school to become a state park ranger and the teacher i know siad this is not the right way to be doing things if your with the BLM.. No matter what arguments are started this was not the right theing to do..just my 02

I have no qualms with the Rangers/Cops/Sheriffs riding the dunes and having fun while off duty. However, any Gov't job that I have had, and wore a uniform had rules about wearing that uniform while off duty. The reason for that is obvious to me and should be glaringly obvious to others, but might not be. They are setting an example for the entire law enforcement group and any bad or misconceived perceptions reflect on the entire force regardless if they are in the right or not. This thread is a great example. What if one of them got hurt....or damaged Gov't property in the act of playing around?post-475-1172081549.gif

Point well said. Thats old saying "we are all painted with the same brush"....I'm sure they will learn from this. I mean, I was always taught its o.k. to make a mistake as long as you can learn from it...right?

there is a time and place for everything and that pic it looks like that wasent the right time, especially with no flags and running pretty fast bikes with uniforms on. I am going to school to become a state park ranger and the teacher i know siad this is not the right way to be doing things if your with the BLM.. No matter what arguments are started this was not the right theing to do..just my 02

I don't think anybody disagrees that it wasn't the smart thing to do but you also have to consider that riding quads,2 wheelers etc are not what some people do. Anytime they can gain experience I think that is a good thing. It would be expected that they have a level of competence in the operation of these vehicles and although this might not have been the correct time where else are you gong to get the experience of riding amongst crowds etc than at the hill?

There is a big difference between a ranger and a sheriff. And like another DDR member said, you guys have absolutely no clue as to how many serious offenses get overlooked at the dunes. Such things as DUI's,drunk in public charges, etc. At least 50% of duners are guilty of either 1 of those charges during a dune weekend. So you ask, should cops practice what they preach? Yes they should. Are cops perfect? Nope. Are you? Most likely not. I will tell you one thing, All of you will forget about this flag incident when your loved 1 just got hit by some freak thats drunk off his a$$ and your son/daughter/friend/etc is being flown out in an attempt to save their life. Or when there is a some freak shooting up a school or when a terrorist crashes a plain into a building. Who runs into the gunfire, not away? Guess. Who is there to pick up the pieces when someones kid gets raped or murdered?? Who is there to lay it on the line every day and risk not going home to his or her family? That same dude that made a few trips up comp without a flag on his bike....during a short break in the middle of his 14 hour day. Yep, nobody likes Law Enforcement.....Until they need them. Then they can't get there fast enough.

I, myself, am able to overlook the petty little things (like a flag) that Rangers do wrong as soon as they do the same for us and concentrate on the more serious issues at hand. I have the utmost respect for the rangers depsite my little run-in with them over the weekend. :rolleyes: It's gonna be hard to keep that respect though if they start acting like hypocrits.

I, myself, am able to overlook the petty little things (like a flag) that Rangers do wrong as soon as they do the same for us and concentrate on the more serious issues at hand. I have the utmost respect for the rangers depsite my little run-in with them over the weekend. :rolleyes: It's gonna be hard to keep that respect though if they start acting like hypocrits.

I agree :rolleyes:

If my child ran into them for no flag, that would not be petty to me. I would be pissed. So, for me, the flag needs to be on there. I was told it would be next time out.

Pete-

You think we can use this as evidence of reckless driving to fight our tickets. :rolleyes: This is bullshish, If you're going to inforce the law, you need to do the same.

Anyway, great picture, Had a great time with everyone. :rolleyes:

Edited by YFZ Chick

Pete-

You think we can use this as evidence of reckless driving to fight our tickets. :ahhhhh: This is bullshish, If you're going to inforce the law, you need to do the same.

Anyway, great picture, Had a great time with everyone. :dope:

yeah no kidding, but no...I'm not even gonna battle it. I'm just gonna pay it and move on with a little bit of bitterness. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

yeah no kidding, but no...I'm not even gonna battle it. I'm just gonna pay it and move on with a little bit of bitterness. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think we can get out of these tickets, just from talking to an attorney friend. These tickets are borderline. When you pay you admit guilt. We might be guilty of picking up after ourselves, but we are not gulity of open containers.

I have to say, I've read through most of this but not all of it after it got to be just repeats of the same complaints and I need to jump in here...

First, it has already been pointed out that these were not BLM rangers, they were San Bernardino Sheriff Office personnel. It's a fine line but still a line worth recognizing.

Were they out there doing a tough job and decided to have a little fun with it? I'm sure they were and they did. Same thing happened a few years ago when a couple rangers raced down the afternoon drags. The crowd loved it and it showed a human side to the rangers that none of us knew existed. Still, people will object and others will support and in the end the only thing that got hurt was the one guy's pride who had to walk that bike down the dune face.

Now... as for the flags...

Believe it or not, there is a grey area when it comes to whips and flags on dirt bikes. I'll try to find the exact wording, but I want everyone to know this has been discussed over and over at the State level and I have yet to see the solution or elimination of the grey area. It has something to do with race bikes and not being able to differentiate between that and another dirtbike.

And tickets can still be issued under a "blanket" BLM regulation that is used often on public lands. SHOULD they have had whips/flags? ABSOLUTELY, if only because of conversations like the one that has been burning over this. The perception is one of being above the law... never mind that they may indeed have been following the exact letter of the law as they interpret it.

Of course, if the grey area of that law is no longer grey, that's another matter entirely. I'll see what I can find out and post the answer.

Vicki