Tax dollars hard at work.

painterjoe

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“WOW!” Flags have been controversial throughout world history, but I never thought that not displaying a flag would bring about so much controversy.

I’m not posting this because I am offended or upset by what has been said. I have heard what everyone has had to say so now I would like a turn. And I honestly say this with a humble heart and without malice. I have a good sense of humor and working this long in law enforcement I have gotten use to being hated.

I am the NOVICE, poor excuse for an LEO that was riding the Yamaha. I liked those two. Oh wait, “turds” made me laugh too.

I have been visiting both Glamis and Dumont Dunes and riding MX since the 1970’s, I was born in the 1970’s. Although I have slacked off the MX because it got pretty $$$$$ I still compete in sport / expert level mountain biking.

Yes you’re right I was wrong for not having a flag on my motorcycle and you have a right to be upset. It’s not a matter of weather I believe I am above the law or that it doesn’t apply to me.

I personally have been stopped and issued a ticket for not having a flag on two separate occasions in the past both at Dumont and Glamis. I never I.D.’d myself as a law enforcement officer. I just took my ticket and paid my fine. On both occasions the LEO that stopped me was a complete JERK. This brings me to the reason why I chose to work this assignment. I feel that everyone is out there to have a good time, yes even us. What I’ve seen in the past was a couple LEO’s who had no background what so ever in offroading treating people, “such as myself” like criminals just because we like to make a lot of noise and a little dust. I am not talking about any one agency in particular it seemed like it was that way across the board. Glamis was really bad although the crowd was a lot worse there too and maybe the cops there need to be. Dumont is more family oriented and I try to be fair but firm when I need to be. I have had friends and family members who have been issued tickets also and I have to listen to them complain as well. Considering how dangerous this sport is if you make it through a holiday weekend at either Dumont or Glamis and the worst thing that happened was you received a ticket then I’d say you don’t have much to complain about. Just ask the 9 airlifted out or LuggNuttz who will never get to see his cousin again. I will say I personally have never been rude to anyone ever, who was not rude to me first.

The Sheriffs Department OHV team is currently comprised of Regular Deputies as well as Reserve Deputies who volunteer their time. I have been a part of the team for 2-3 yrs now and I can honestly say I have never written an actual citation for any violation I have seen out there. I have written A LOT of warning citations which does not require a court date or fine to be paid. I feel that’s all most people need and they will comply, although I know a lot of my partners feel differently which is why I’m out there, to try to balance them out.

I did not get paid for the 1 hr I was out there taking a break from the 9 airlifted and 1 fatality that we were dealing with not to mention all the stuff I over looked, “There’s a bunch of you who know who and what I’m talking about.” I left my uniform and radio on so that if something did occur I would be able to respond, all be it more quickly on my bike. Have you seen those quads we ride???

Back to the fatality, I hope the family is doing well considering their loss. All the, “So called paid professionals” were tied up on other injuries and the resources for medical aid was pretty well tapped. When my partner arrived on scene he began assisting with CPR. Now if we really took our power too seriously as you all think we would have all civilians back away from the scene. Instead we know there is a lot of off duty firemen, nurses, EMT’s, etc out there who jump in without hesitation to assist and we love those guys/girls for it. We REALLY APPRECIATE your help. I specialize in things such as gangs and narcotics not medical aid, so if you see me standing around with my hands in my pockets it’s because I’m just staying out of their way.

Now I thought that most would appreciate seeing the cops out there having a good time with them rather than impeding on your fun. But if you would rather have me out there working non stop enforcing the laws then the people have spoken and you have made it clear I work for you….Taxes….Most of us feel we are there to manage your fun not control it and to be there when you need us. If you feel that is unprofessional then your voice has been heard and I assure you, you will see a more professional organization in the future.

I know the guys we were racing were enjoying rocking us when their 450’s would smoke past my 250, “It’s all good.” I’ll have a 450 next time guys and yes it will have a flag and I wont by wearing an extra 30 lbs of equipment.

I must say this since everyone was so concerned about me being paid. If I am off duty at 2:00 a.m. (not getting paid), why is it O.K. for people to come knocking at the door of my personal trailer at 4:00-6:00 a.m.????? Should I get paid for that and if so, how much?

As several of you have said we are human and make mistakes. I was curious, how many of you obeyed the 55mph speed limit while pulling your 40’ trailers out there. See what I mean. I’m not going to apologize because I don’t think that’s what you are looking for here. But I will say you will not see that from me or anyone else on my team again. I will be out racing again without uniform look for that KX450 with a flag and I’ll meet you at the bottom of the hill for some good Old fashion racing.

:whistle:

I would like to say thank you and I appreciate your response, which I feel was overall very well put. I see that you have read through the thread and tried to address each complaint/opinion without making excuses or becoming upset, which I hope will be appreciated. It is always good to hear from the other side. I do understand your duties and the need for LE at the dunes, it is just unfortunate that LEO's overall have a bad name and there are a few officers who cause the general public to feel that way, I know from experience and had to deal with the 'I hate LE' attitude, but I tried to be one who made a difference. :whistle:

Welcome to the site. Can we use your name to get out of tickets? :offtopic: Kidding!

....unbelievable....only here can you declare in 1 breath that the "Glamis types" need to be weeded out for the greater good, and whine about the cops that are attempting to effect just that....

The sheriffs racing up the hill are trying to show a human side by blending in with the populus and demonstrating an interest in duning....grow up folks....if u dont want a ticket, dont break the law .....

would you rather have cops driving around w/ out flags, or drunken chaos and potential deaths as a direct result of their abscence?

I'll pay whatever cost for even more cops if it means keeping the drunken / high / non-conformists at bay for the protection of my family.... :whistle:

:whistle::clap::offtopic:

I'm glad one of u finally spoke up. i wasn't out there this weekend, so i can only go by what other people said. I always like to know ur side of the story.

I've always gone out of my way to speak to the blm, rangers chp , or who ever is out there doing their job.I just like to get a good repore with ya. I was in the milatary for 20 yrs so I know what it's like to be on the outside. always being treated as the bad guy. I know if I was in ur position, it would be hard to just sit there on my bike, quad, sand rail, and watch everybody else enjoying themselfs. I think it's great that u would try and be one of us, hill shooting or sand drags. I know if i was there, i would of come up to ya, and said something like nice try, or damn, can't the gov spend more money to make these faster!

i've read some of the the post about peeps getting tickets that they feel they didn't deserve. I wasn't there so I don't know if they were wrong or not.

I know it must be difficult to determine who u should or shouldn't cite. I know i've seen quite a few peeps who are total a$$wholes out there. mostly peeps with sandrails. they think that if if own a $80k machine they can do what they want.

i know more peeps don't get cited than do. but with a ratio of 1000: 1 or more u just have to figure should i or shouldn't i. I know most complaints r about hauling a$$ through camping area. I personnely think that's were most of ur time should be spent.

Hope to see ya out there sometime. but can't u get some honda's LOL

....unbelievable....only here can you declare in 1 breath that the "Glamis types" need to be weeded out for the greater good, and whine about the cops that are attempting to effect just that....

The sheriffs racing up the hill are trying to show a human side by blending in with the populus and demonstrating an interest in duning....grow up folks....if u dont want a ticket, dont break the law .....

would you rather have cops driving around w/ out flags, or drunken chaos and potential deaths as a direct result of their abscence?

I'll pay whatever cost for even more cops if it means keeping the drunken / high / non-conformists at bay for the protection of my family.... :offtopic:

This bull I no sooner steped out of my thuck sunday and a shat head ranger pulled up to herras us on some trash that was there when we pulled up left by some azz hole that does't care. later the same ranger pull my friend over when his sister was on the back of the quad going to the potty when there were much wherse things going on and said thats number two won't get a third just a big ticket. now thats pure hersment

so no I don't want more azz rangers MY two cents

“WOW!” Flags have been controversial throughout world history, but I never thought that not displaying a flag would bring about so much controversy.

I’m not posting this because I am offended or upset by what has been said. I have heard what everyone has had to say so now I would like a turn. And I honestly say this with a humble heart and without malice. I have a good sense of humor and working this long in law enforcement I have gotten use to being hated.

I am the NOVICE, poor excuse for an LEO that was riding the Yamaha. I liked those two. Oh wait, “turds” made me laugh too.

I have been visiting both Glamis and Dumont Dunes and riding MX since the 1970’s, I was born in the 1970’s. Although I have slacked off the MX because it got pretty $$$$$ I still compete in sport / expert level mountain biking.

Yes you’re right I was wrong for not having a flag on my motorcycle and you have a right to be upset. It’s not a matter of weather I believe I am above the law or that it doesn’t apply to me.

I personally have been stopped and issued a ticket for not having a flag on two separate occasions in the past both at Dumont and Glamis. I never I.D.’d myself as a law enforcement officer. I just took my ticket and paid my fine. On both occasions the LEO that stopped me was a complete JERK. This brings me to the reason why I chose to work this assignment. I feel that everyone is out there to have a good time, yes even us. What I’ve seen in the past was a couple LEO’s who had no background what so ever in offroading treating people, “such as myself” like criminals just because we like to make a lot of noise and a little dust. I am not talking about any one agency in particular it seemed like it was that way across the board. Glamis was really bad although the crowd was a lot worse there too and maybe the cops there need to be. Dumont is more family oriented and I try to be fair but firm when I need to be. I have had friends and family members who have been issued tickets also and I have to listen to them complain as well. Considering how dangerous this sport is if you make it through a holiday weekend at either Dumont or Glamis and the worst thing that happened was you received a ticket then I’d say you don’t have much to complain about. Just ask the 9 airlifted out or LuggNuttz who will never get to see his cousin again. I will say I personally have never been rude to anyone ever, who was not rude to me first.

The Sheriffs Department OHV team is currently comprised of Regular Deputies as well as Reserve Deputies who volunteer their time. I have been a part of the team for 2-3 yrs now and I can honestly say I have never written an actual citation for any violation I have seen out there. I have written A LOT of warning citations which does not require a court date or fine to be paid. I feel that’s all most people need and they will comply, although I know a lot of my partners feel differently which is why I’m out there, to try to balance them out.

I did not get paid for the 1 hr I was out there taking a break from the 9 airlifted and 1 fatality that we were dealing with not to mention all the stuff I over looked, “There’s a bunch of you who know who and what I’m talking about.” I left my uniform and radio on so that if something did occur I would be able to respond, all be it more quickly on my bike. Have you seen those quads we ride???

Back to the fatality, I hope the family is doing well considering their loss. All the, “So called paid professionals” were tied up on other injuries and the resources for medical aid was pretty well tapped. When my partner arrived on scene he began assisting with CPR. Now if we really took our power too seriously as you all think we would have all civilians back away from the scene. Instead we know there is a lot of off duty firemen, nurses, EMT’s, etc out there who jump in without hesitation to assist and we love those guys/girls for it. We REALLY APPRECIATE your help. I specialize in things such as gangs and narcotics not medical aid, so if you see me standing around with my hands in my pockets it’s because I’m just staying out of their way.

Now I thought that most would appreciate seeing the cops out there having a good time with them rather than impeding on your fun. But if you would rather have me out there working non stop enforcing the laws then the people have spoken and you have made it clear I work for you….Taxes….Most of us feel we are there to manage your fun not control it and to be there when you need us. If you feel that is unprofessional then your voice has been heard and I assure you, you will see a more professional organization in the future.

I know the guys we were racing were enjoying rocking us when their 450’s would smoke past my 250, “It’s all good.” I’ll have a 450 next time guys and yes it will have a flag and I wont by wearing an extra 30 lbs of equipment.

I must say this since everyone was so concerned about me being paid. If I am off duty at 2:00 a.m. (not getting paid), why is it O.K. for people to come knocking at the door of my personal trailer at 4:00-6:00 a.m.????? Should I get paid for that and if so, how much?

As several of you have said we are human and make mistakes. I was curious, how many of you obeyed the 55mph speed limit while pulling your 40’ trailers out there. See what I mean. I’m not going to apologize because I don’t think that’s what you are looking for here. But I will say you will not see that from me or anyone else on my team again. I will be out racing again without uniform look for that KX450 with a flag and I’ll meet you at the bottom of the hill for some good Old fashion racing.

Ok, so I was a little harsh and for that I apologise, It takes alot for you to come on here and explain yourself. It seems after all the harrassing we get we'll use any ammo we can to justify our frustration with the LEO's and this was it. I'm sorry it had to be you, from what I've read you seem like one of the good one's. The flag issue, it's cut and dry but the racing, yea, you guys deserve to have fun I'll admit but there is a time and a place for everything and trust me I would love to put butt whoopin on a cop(racing :offtopic: ) , but maybe this was not the time or place. I'm deleteing the "poor excuse" comment because obviously you are not.

The "novice" comment stays, 60lbs of equiptment or not. :whistle:

I'm glad one of u finally spoke up. i wasn't out there this weekend, so i can only go by what other people said. I always like to know ur side of the story.

I've always gone out of my way to speak to the blm, rangers chp , or who ever is out there doing their job.I just like to get a good repore with ya. I was in the milatary for 20 yrs so I know what it's like to be on the outside. always being treated as the bad guy. I know if I was in ur position, it would be hard to just sit there on my bike, quad, sand rail, and watch everybody else enjoying themselfs. I think it's great that u would try and be one of us, hill shooting or sand drags. I know if i was there, i would of come up to ya, and said something like nice try, or damn, can't the gov spend more money to make these faster!

i've read some of the the post about peeps getting tickets that they feel they didn't deserve. I wasn't there so I don't know if they were wrong or not.

I know it must be difficult to determine who u should or shouldn't cite. I know i've seen quite a few peeps who are total a$$wholes out there. mostly peeps with sandrails. they think that if if own a $80k machine they can do what they want.

i know more peeps don't get cited than do. but with a ratio of 1000: 1 or more u just have to figure should i or shouldn't i. I know most complaints r about hauling a$$ through camping area. I personnely think that's were most of ur time should be spent.

Hope to see ya out there sometime. but can't u get some honda's LOL

I saw more quads and bikes doing what they wanted to do than cars. quads doin wheelies any were they wanted by camps vender row and so on that bull go ride in the dunes

I saw more quads and bikes doing what they wanted to do than cars. quads doin wheelies any were they wanted by camps vender row and so on that bull go ride in the dunes

what i meant was i see more a hole stunts in the dunes with rails. I know a lot of peeps with quads and bikes doing the wheelies and sh*t in the camp area

I'll pay whatever cost for even more cops if it means keeping the drunken / high / non-conformists at bay for the protection of my family.... :whistle:

No, by all means The so called "Glamis type's need to be weeded out, but it's a double standard. So what your saying just because there keeping the bad seeds out they can treat the law abiding people like crap? thats B.S. You want hear about not braking the law and still getting a ticket? How about getting a ticket for not having a flag while putting a quad in the trailer, 20ft away, oh, and no helmet for the same thing. How about a ticket for forgetting to turn my tail lights on in my rail, How about getting stopped and harassed because my GPS is blue and they thought I had a blue lite that flashed in the front of my car. How about having to tear down a kiddie track we didn't even make and if I didn't I would have been responsible if someone got hurt.(took my cdl# and marked it on GPS). You didn't have to be there to realise those are some B.S. calls I don't think I'm the one that needs to grow up, afterall were still a bunch of kids that love to play in the sand. :offtopic:

Edited by painterjoe

I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with Mr. Cheese! :undecided: We had a "run in" with a ranger over Tday weekend. Late Saturday afternoon, we're down in the wash, near the main road, watching the kids mud drag. Also watching this ranger chase some people out trying to camp on the other side of the trailhead (no-no zone). He then drove over to us, pulled up in front of my husband and started bitching about us being there and "didn't we see the signs?" Well, the path we took, there were NO out of bounds signs and we informed him of that very respectfully. He just shook his head and drove off quite abruptly. No ticket, no warning to leave, just attitude.

My point is: After dealing with the huge crowds, idiots, drunken mayhem, accidents et all, I really cannot blame them for their frustration. And this guy was TOTALLY frustrated and attempted to take it out on us non-a-holes. I do have the utmost respect for these rangers, officers, EMT's and the like for being out there and trying to keep it a safe place to play. It's a shame too many "bad apples" make that job so difficult.

You know what as someone posted the old time cops are gone. My dad retired in the 80's. The new guys are punks. No doubt. If more people would turn them in instead of posting "venting" this type of stuff would stop. Really.

Well, I was all with you and agree with most of what you said. Both my parents worked for OCSD. Dad did retire (was a deputy), mom moved on (worked the jails). Regardless if someone did over 55mph going there. You still carry a badge and are expected to be professional. If in any way you don't like your job or people coming to your trialer there is always Burger King, you can have it your way there I hear. While no one will confess, I will. I did 62mph w/cruise on there. I am sure others will chime in and confirm. Doesn't mean a Ranger, or Officer can be rude when I get there though.

Rant over :no_no: Now, on all the other stuff you wrote :driver: I agree. As for racing up the hill next time, I'll take you up on that offer. My picture is to the left. After I loose, I will laugh, shack your hand and say I knew it and come back here and say I won :headbang1:

Like I said. I was the one who talked to your WC and explained to him my only concern was the flag. The racing threw me off, after he explained why (to be a part of everyone) I thought. Ok. Cool. I wouldn't want my novice kids to run into you not seeing you or worse! I made the call due to safety in my eyes. Anyway. Be safe out there and I give you credit for coming here and posting and defending yourself. Good man!

PS. Post pics of your bike and welcome to DDR! :undecided:

Edited by Bound4Dirt

You know what as someone posted the old time cops are gone. My dad retired in the 80's. The new guys are punks. No doubt. If more people would turn them in instead of posting "venting" this type of stuff would stop. Really.

I must say, and I am speaking for my family, we have had more good than bad experience with the law enforcement out at Dumont. New Year's weekend, my daughter and I took off waaaayyy out passed the N. Pole and a Ranger spotted us out there, saw the daughter turn her quad around off the trail, onto a protected area, and merely wanted to know if I knew where we were. We got to chatting about trails etc., and he gave me a map of the Sperry Wash trail....anyway, I spent so much time talking with the officer, my husband came looking for us 'cause we were gone so long. Easily could have given me a ticket for being out-of-bounds.

And about the "old time cops", they're not all gone. I don't recall which weekend, just that it was freezing a$$ cold, we were out at Comp hill with a fire going, and two Sheriffs on quads (4x4 type) came over to us. One very young, the older officer looked like Santa Claus. Anyway, the older one joined us around our fire to warm up. Most of us had a beer in our hands, he 'hung' out for quite some time, chased down some punk on a 2-wheeler roosting abandoned campfires, came back laughing about it, and stayed for awhile longer. Great guy, never said a word about the drinking, and I would save him a place by the campfire anytime! :D

I ve been staying out of this but I do appreciate the leo's post. I do appreciate them being there. Ive been going to dumont for years, I have never really had a meeting with any leo while out there. Once I was asked while going in about fireworks, while still in my truck cause ethey had a report of a truck like mine with fireworks. I never even stopped, he was on a bike riding next to me. I think for the most part there job, is PRESENCE, just being there, regardless if you have alittle fun going up the hill. Besides, being in the dunes, watching bad moves by riders and drivers could be improved by leos just telling them what they did that was so dangerous. This would be under the heading, of dont treat the injury, but keep it from happening in the first place.

It seems that most people want leos to just clean up the mess after it happens, I d rather have a good relationship, friendly, curtious with leos that help people be better at duning.

BTW, how is double riding in a camp viewed, like an adult and a 5 yr old, in camp only. And how is the helmet rule veiwed in the same situation? Helmet on child, no helmet on adult while double riding a 50 in a circle at say 5 mph. I ve always wondered. I ve always walked, ran next to my daughter till she got the hang of it, but my wife rode double without a helmet. I said something, so I was back to running. Also, incase the leos dont know, we have a 50 quad for the kids, that has two remote shut offs, and one pull cord shutoff, something you could ask regarding kids and safty when your wondering how concerned the parents really are. Any time she rides, my thumb is on the button.

BTW, I also understand what the leo is saying about other people having more medical training, me and my wife have extensive medical training and experience as do many other people taht go.

My .02, I like the LEO's. I ll try not to upset them or anyone else.

Edited by 1320

I have no qualms with the Rangers/Cops/Sheriffs riding the dunes and having fun while off duty. However, any Gov't job that I have had, and wore a uniform had rules about wearing that uniform while off duty. The reason for that is obvious to me and should be glaringly obvious to others, but might not be. They are setting an example for the entire law enforcement group and any bad or misconceived perceptions reflect on the entire force regardless if they are in the right or not. This thread is a great example. What if one of them got hurt....or damaged Gov't property in the act of playing around?post-475-1172081549.gif

I agree with you 100% about them setting an example! HOWEVER, my hubby brought up a very good point about them being visible out there at all times, especially on the really busy weekends. If I, or anyone else for that matter needed help for whatever reason, the first person we'd be looking for is one in uniform and carrying a radio. In addition, I would rather they have unique flags, something bigger that said, "We are law enforcement" and not those tiny orange whips that look like everyone else's. IMO, those flags should also have a light for after dark.

O.K., I'm done.....for now. :undecided: off.

I ve been staying out of this but I do appreciate the leo's post. I do appreciate them being there. Ive been going to dumont for years, I have never really had a meeting with any leo while out there. Once I was asked while going in about fireworks, while still in my truck cause ethey had a report of a truck like mine with fireworks. I never even stopped, he was on a bike riding next to me. I think for the most part there job, is PRESENCE, just being there, regardless if you have alittle fun going up the hill. Besides, being in the dunes, watching bad moves by riders and drivers could be improved by leos just telling them what they did that was so dangerous. This would be under the heading, of dont treat the injury, but keep it from happening in the first place.

It seems that most people want leos to just clean up the mess after it happens, I d rather have a good relationship, friendly, curtious with leos that help people be better at duning.

BTW, how is double riding in a camp viewed, like an adult and a 5 yr old, in camp only. And how is the helmet rule veiwed in the same situation? Helmet on child, no helmet on adult while double riding a 50 in a circle at say 5 mph. I ve always wondered. I ve always walked, ran next to my daughter till she got the hang of it, but my wife rode double without a helmet. I said something, so I was back to running. Also, incase the leos dont know, we have a 50 quad for the kids, that has two remote shut offs, and one pull cord shutoff, something you could ask regarding kids and safty when your wondering how concerned the parents really are. Any time she rides, my thumb is on the button.

BTW, I also understand what the leo is saying about other people having more medical training, me and my wife have extensive medical training and experience as do many other people taht go.

My .02, I like the LEO's. I ll try not to upset them or anyone else.

Well stated Jon. That is my biggest beef with law enforcement. They are really quick to nail people with a ticket for doing something wrong rather than discussing things and giving duners a better understanding of some of the rules or laws out there.

The rangers at Coral Pink Sand Dunes are much more friendly from what I have seen. For example: if you have a broken flag, they let just you know about it and tell you to go get one immediatley rather than yelling at you and writing you a ticket.

WHEW!!! There is some crow eatin'and back peddeling going on here. First of all, welcome to the forums donutz&dunz, and thanks for posting your side. I think a lot of eyes have been opened here. Still looks like some folks just don't get it though. Still lots of punkazz attitudes and comments being displayed.

All I would like to add is that Law Enforcement, much like the Military of today, is just a cross section of society to where you have an element that just doesn't respect others property or space. It comes from home trainin' and that just doesn't hardly exist anymore. Everybody's too busy trying to keep up with or impress the Jonses to sit down around the dinner table and find out what's in their kids heads, or lives.

D&D thanks for your service and I for one appreciate seeing you guys out there giving it your best. From an old crusty retired Marine to a young stud LEO, Semper Fi.

painterjoe said:

No, by all means The so called "Glamis type's need to be weeded out, but it's a double standard. So what your saying just because there keeping the bad seeds out they can treat the law abiding people like crap? thats B.S. You want hear about not braking the law and still getting a ticket? How about getting a ticket for not having a flag while putting a quad in the trailer, 20ft away, oh, and no helmet for the same thing. How about a ticket for forgetting to turn my tail lights on in my rail, How about getting stopped and harassed because my GPS is blue and they thought I had a blue lite that flashed in the front of my car. How about having to tear down a kiddie track we didn't even make and if I didn't I would have been responsible if someone got hurt.(took my cdl# and marked it on GPS). You didn't have to be there to realise those are some B.S. calls I don't think I'm the one that needs to grow up, afterall were still a bunch of kids that love to play in the sand. :headbang1:

Edited by sMitty

I must say, and I am speaking for my family, we have had more good than bad experience with the law enforcement out at Dumont. New Year's weekend, my daughter and I took off waaaayyy out passed the N. Pole and a Ranger spotted us out there, saw the daughter turn her quad around off the trail, onto a protected area, and merely wanted to know if I knew where we were. We got to chatting about trails etc., and he gave me a map of the Sperry Wash trail....anyway, I spent so much time talking with the officer, my husband came looking for us 'cause we were gone so long. Easily could have given me a ticket for being out-of-bounds.

And about the "old time cops", they're not all gone. I don't recall which weekend, just that it was freezing a$$ cold, we were out at Comp hill with a fire going, and two Sheriffs on quads (4x4 type) came over to us. One very young, the older officer looked like Santa Claus. Anyway, the older one joined us around our fire to warm up. Most of us had a beer in our hands, he 'hung' out for quite some time, chased down some punk on a 2-wheeler roosting abandoned campfires, came back laughing about it, and stayed for awhile longer. Great guy, never said a word about the drinking, and I would save him a place by the campfire anytime! :D

I actually never had a run in with them at all. I was just posting if he or she had an issue they had an option to resolve it. :headbang1:

Well stated Jon. That is my biggest beef with law enforcement. They are really quick to nail people with a ticket for doing something wrong rather than discussing things and giving duners a better understanding of some of the rules or laws out there.

The rangers at Coral Pink Sand Dunes are much more friendly from what I have seen. For example: if you have a broken flag, they let just you know about it and tell you to go get one immediatley rather than yelling at you and writing you a ticket.

Well said. :headbang1:

By your rationale, every "non-cop" is an A-HOLE because 1 guy cut me off and roosted me once....the only problem with law enforcement agencies is that they have to hire cops from the human race,,,,,,,you know, the human race where people are not perfect, have personalities, and yes, once in awhile have a bad day. It truly appears that you have been in the wrong place/ time on mult events........take donutz/dunin for example.....you can put your generalized stamp on cops to beddy-by...........stay safe out there and try and remember that the cops dont write the laws.....

Coming in here and doing what he did show class. But, remember, it's also good PR :headbang1:

By your rationale, every "non-cop" is an A-HOLE because 1 guy cut me off and roosted me once....the only problem with law enforcement agencies is that they have to hire cops from the human race,,,,,,,you know, the human race where people are not perfect, have personalities, and yes, once in awhile have a bad day. It truly appears that you have been in the wrong place/ time on mult events........take donutz/dunin for example.....you can put your generalized stamp on cops to beddy-by...........stay safe out there and try and remember that the cops dont write the laws.....

You are good at avioding the question.

Most humans I know treat other people with respect and I would say 90% of dealings I've had with the law I was not treated the same and until those numbers are reversed I'll keep my genralized stamp awake.

It's not the laws I have the problem with.

Thank you for your concern, you stay safe too.