So what would it take to switch routes from Vegas

After a meeting today in tecopa discussing issues that their community has with traffic, trash, black tank dumping etc. we were wondering why most people choose the old spanish highway instead of the route through Pahrump or the I15 from Vegas. Not looking to pick a fight or defend their statements i am on a fact finding mission that's all! Their community is concerned about some issues and we as dune users need to be concerned about their issues. This is how it works we can fight with them in which they put pressure on Inyo county, BLM and other enities to make things difficult or we can meet them up front and try to see if we can head off some issues. I would like to hear your thoughts.

I have driven the old tecopa route for ever but lately have chosen to change to the pahrump route as it's about 15 minutes longer but the roads are wider,smoother and a lot less stress with a big rig, the fact that their is a grocery store and eating establishments in Pahrump also help when you discover that you forgot dinner or something else. So who better to get input from than DDr folks! :thumb:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

for me 6 in one hand half dozen in the other... I usually go that way due to lack of law enforcement and not pulling a trailer i can make it to dumont ummm promptly :D 94 miles door step to dumont.

As far as going thru baker you have 2 big grades to deal with where as tecopa you only have one.. unless you count that less than 1 mile strech of switchbacks a grade :D`

Today I just read an article that Brice showed me from the Pahrump newspaper about these "impacts" on Tecopa from Dumont users. I imagine that these are the same exact issues you are talking about, Terry. I must say some of them are :thumb: that can be easily handled, but some ARE of concern.

I currently take the Tecopa route because it is the shortest and most direct route to Dumont from Vegas. I also like to stop and dump my tanks in their streets....just kidding lol.......at the campground dump station. It is very nice and conveinant, but if it is causing a problem with Tecopa and will somehow pose as a threat to close Dumont in any way I will change my route.

I have never like going through Baker. It seems to take FOREVER going that way. I could try Pahrump next time I suppose. :D

I used to always take the other way thru pahrump before I met DDR. The road is definately alot smoother. I think I started going the other way cause it was a bit shorter. Im always anxious to get there. I also like to dump my tanks in tecopa, at the designated dump station. But I do believe there is also one in Pahrump I could use, just have to find it. Used to fill up water in pahrump when I used to go that way. Alot lighter load going over potasi, which ALWAYS kills my truck. But I for one, would not mind going thru pahrump on a regular basis if its going to mean less peeps giving us a hard time about dumont and less of a fight. :thumb:

Edited by Sincity_blondie

Terry after talking to you last trip about how much longer it is I decided to take it home.

I forgot how smooth that road is!!!

I wont be taking Tecopa anymore period!!

It was 14 miles I believe longer......not worth it in my eyes anymore.

PLus you can stop at the quickie mart and get a drink or use the bathroom if you had to :thumb:

Terry after talking to you last trip about how much longer it is I decided to take it home.

I forgot how smooth that road is!!!

I wont be taking Tecopa anymore period!!

It was 14 miles I believe longer......not worth it in my eyes anymore.

PLus you can stop at the quickie mart and get a drink or use the bathroom if you had to :laughoff:

So you are for it or not, Bert? :woo_hoo: "not worth it in my eyes" You mean it's not worth going Tecopa to save the 14 miles?

also.....if you are low on cookies or drop your sandwich on the floor of your truck you can get those supplies as well at the quickie mart! :dance: :laughing::watching::thumb:

Today I just read an article that Brice showed me from the Pahrump newspaper about these "impacts" on Tecopa from Dumont users. I imagine that these are the same exact issues you are talking about, Terry. I must say some of them are :thumb: that can be easily handled, but some ARE of concern.

I currently take the Tecopa route because it is the shortest and most direct route to Dumont from Vegas. I also like to stop and dump my tanks in their streets....just kidding lol.......at the campground dump station. It is very nice and conveinant, but if it is causing a problem with Tecopa and will somehow pose as a threat to close Dumont in any way I will change my route.

I have never like going through Baker. It seems to take FOREVER going that way. I could try Pahrump next time I suppose. :D

The dumping station in tecopa is actually in violation for it's sceptic tank leeching field. It used to be a country park and the county has since sub leased it to a private company. No one including the county or BLM(where the leeching is occuring) wants to do anything about it. I envision that not being a place that anybody will be able to dump out at fairly soon. I was thinking we could talk to some of the RV parks in Pahrump and see what their feeling about new customers might be.

I don't see them trying to close Dumont. These people have no idea of what we as "Duners" are like. They have had a couple of run in's with not so nice people who happen to be going to or coming from Dumont ( I explained "Flatbillers" to them" They DO NOT want to cause a problem they just want to see if we can lighten their load and have some influence with their County supervisors and the BLM of which I told them that I would reach out to see what we can do for them.

The dumping station in tecopa is actually in violation for it's sceptic tank leeching field. It used to be a country park and the county has since sub leased it to a private company. No one including the county or BLM(where the leeching is occuring) wants to do anything about it. I envision that not being a place that anybody will be able to dump out at fairly soon. I was thinking we could talk to some of the RV parks in Pahrump and see what their feeling about new customers might be.

I don't see them trying to close Dumont. These people have no idea of what we as "Duners" are like. They have had a couple of run in's with not so nice people who happen to be going to or coming from Dumont ( I explained "Flatbillers" to them" They DO NOT want to cause a problem they just want to see if we can lighten their load and have some influence with their County supervisors and the BLM of which I told them that I would reach out to see what we can do for them.

Yeah that is pretty much what I read in that article abou the dump station. Hell...and all this time I thought i was HELPING Tecopa by giving them 5 bucks to dump my crap there. :watching::thumb:

flatbillers :laughing:

Question: now is the extra traffic through Pahrump gonna be a problem in the future if we all decide to take thatroute instead? Are they gonna b*tch about us too?

i will do what i have to to keep dumont open.

but here are my thoughts traffic? in my 20 trips i have never seen more then 4 rigs together and all slowed to 25 going thru town. the lack of traffic is one of the reasons i like that road. another is if iam doing nothing wrong (i dont even have tanks) seems like they just want to be a nothing town with no one wondering thru. even at 25 im in and out of town in 5 minutes. why dont they open a store or gas station and get some revenue from us?

i just hate to be told i cant do something because some a hole did something i have no control over. i will write down the plates of anyone i see dumping tanks or trash and have picked up trash on my way home. but seems extreme to say you cant travel that road when i only see half dozen cars from 160 to 127 and never anyone in tecopa. i just dont see how much impact i have traveling thru!

next shoshone (sp) and pahrump will say the same thing because whinning worked for tecopa???

:off rant: and like i said in the start i will do whatever it takes for dumont to stay open

personnally i like going thru tecopa (since one time i was told if you go to fast you get yelled at by some screaming dude in a chair so if he's there or not i still am respectful to there surroundings ) as for dumping i've found a place in vegas for $ 15.00 now :beercheers: but hey it's on my may home just as tecopa is and the vegas valley i think can keep up with the demand of dumpers . but if it makes a impact as far as travelers just driving by i'll start going thru baker . but you also have to realize since 911 there's been alot of rv's on the road and not just toyhaulers so we can't be all to blame for the extra traffic and dumping issues (gorving.com no its not a plug just an example of whos helped grow the rv camping experience )i've seen alot of non toyhaulers hitting the hot springs area in tecopa . :stick_smack: just my beer :ban-split:

But I do believe there is also one in Pahrump I could use, just have to find it. /quote]

The dump station that we have used ONCE in Pahrump is at the RV park behind the Chevron/Terribles station. As you are heading back to Vegas, you have to go thru the intersection (versus turning onto the 160) and the RV park is about a block down, on the right. I do believe they charged us $10 to use it.

These people have no idea of what we as "Duners" are like. They have had a couple of run in's with not so nice people who happen to be going to or coming from Dumont ( I explained "Flatbillers" to them"

We've always had a good experience, LOL, as dumping goes. There's the little ol' man (a resident) that kept us chatting for quite sometime, coming home from an off-weekend trip, so he must have been lonely. post-1889-1177567570.gif And on more than one occasion, the guy collecting the $5 fee hung around our rig shooting the breeze while we were waiting in line. Our last 2 trips out there, the park was not busy so I took the fee over to the little store so as to save them a trip across the street. (One of those trips duniemonkie busted me standing on the street corner, oh wait, that's another thread :stick_smack: ) A year or 2 ago, we were informed that we were not to leave our garbage in the dumpsters, so we obliged. I must be a :rockwoot: 'cause I need someone to explain "Flatbillers" to me. :beerpint:

Hell...and all this time I thought i was HELPING Tecopa by giving them 5 bucks to dump my crap there. :ban-split::beercheers:

We thought the very same thing!! Until Davey was at a TRT meeting and learned what Terry explained in his post.

Question: now is the extra traffic through Pahrump gonna be a problem in the future if we all decide to take thatroute instead? Are they gonna b*tch about us too?

I should hope not!! We ALWAYS spend $$ on our way thru town, been going that route about 3 years now. Top off the truck, fuel the trailer if we didn't in Vegas, and a fuel and potty stop at the "quickie" mart always means drinks and munchies for the road. OR there's McDonalds for lunch, Burger King on the way home, well, you get my point.

but here are my thoughts traffic? in my 20 trips i have never seen more then 4 rigs together and all slowed to 25 going thru town. the lack of traffic is one of the reasons i like that road. another is if iam doing nothing wrong (i dont even have tanks) seems like they just want to be a nothing town with no one wondering thru. even at 25 im in and out of town in 5 minutes. why dont they open a store or gas station and get some revenue from us?

:off rant: and like i said in the start i will do whatever it takes for dumont to stay open

I must say, there has been many an occasion when the line to use the dump station wrapped around the whole park. Of course, it was at the close of a MAJOR holiday weekend. I remember a time when the line used to form out onto the roadway, from both directions! Then they got smart and started directing the rigs into the park, "5 miles an hour, no trash in the dumpsters, and dogs on leashes." Anymore after the big holidays, we don't bother going there, Davey takes the hauler to the Flying "J" and dumps for free. :stick_smack:

I take Tecopa because it's quicker and I hate driving through Pahrump(I have to go to Pahrump for work all the time) . I too, use the dump at the camp ground. I always ask that peeps don't use those dumpsters though because of the issues that has created.

I wont go that way anymore if it causes issues, I just don't know where I will dump the tanks now!!! :stick_smack::beercheers:

we also travel thru tecopa to save time. dave ALWAYS drives the speed limit thru town. i'm sure if it is a problem we will go thru pahrump in the future. never been that route but there is a first for everything. :D we also take care of our tanks when we get home at the flying J :D no charge thanks terry for letting us know about the problems. we can do whatever it takes to continue going to dumont :stick_smack:

i will do what i have to to keep dumont open.

i just hate to be told i cant do something because some a hole did something i have no control over. i will write down the plates of anyone i see dumping tanks or trash and have picked up trash on my way home. but seems extreme to say you cant travel that road when i only see half dozen cars from 160 to 127 and never anyone in tecopa. i just dont see how much impact i have traveling thru!

next shoshone (sp) and pahrump will say the same thing because whinning worked for tecopa???

i am currently dealing with a similiar situation with the oceano dunes. with me beingfrom Bakersfield, I can tell you that the LAST thing peoplefrom another town want, is from outsiders telling them what to do with their town.

obviously the lack the vision to do the things you recommend, which is their problem. let them deal with it

• 1 month later...

Since I live in the NorthWest Vegas. I go up 95 past Indian Springs to the Pahrump turnoff and go in that way to Dumont. To me why should I travel thru the heart of Vegas to get to Blue Diamond. The north route to Pahrump is flatter, better road and it's only 30min longer to Pahrump. When I leave Dumont I always pay the $5 to dump at Techopa.

id like to make an observation on this.

They are complaining they dont like us going thru their town (used lightly) or dumping tanks, whatnot.

THEN WHY IS THERE AN ADVERTISEMENT UP FOR RV STORAGE???? I noticed it as I travelled thru saturday afternoon. I was pretty floored considering they are wanting to keep us all out.

I agree with vegas style. Why dont they open some sort of store or gas station and generate some revenue from us. Being the only store out that way, I believe they would generate ALOT of income.

:beercheers:

id like to make an observation on this.

They are complaining they dont like us going thru their town (used lightly) or dumping tanks, whatnot.

THEN WHY IS THERE AN ADVERTISEMENT UP FOR RV STORAGE???? I noticed it as I travelled thru saturday afternoon. I was pretty floored considering they are wanting to keep us all out.

I agree with vegas style. Why dont they open some sort of store or gas station and generate some revenue from us. Being the only store out that way, I believe they would generate ALOT of income.

:headbang1:

HA!!! I was gonna say the same thing! I noticed that when we went through Tecopa too. I thought: if they don't want anyone coming through their town, who are they trying to advertise to then? The old man down the road in the camper out in the desert? :beercheers:

i am currently dealing with a similiar situation with the oceano dunes. with me beingfrom Bakersfield, I can tell you that the LAST thing peoplefrom another town want, is from outsiders telling them what to do with their town.

obviously the lack the vision to do the things you recommend, which is their problem. let them deal with it

I live in NLV...and it seems to take forever when we go all the way to Blue Diamond...so it isn't that much longer to go that way past Indian Springs? When you guys say go through Pahrump, you mean turn at that one spot and end up near Shoshone right? That road is way nice.

Yep good points, they advertise the storage. Whatever on that... I did google Tecopa for shits and giggles....Interesting fact. As of the 2000 census, Tecopa has 99 residents. I'm just wondering where the eff they are at. What percentage of those 99 residents give a damn about us rolling through there.

i was thinkin........okay, this is a town, not a private community w/ gates and what not. So, who's to tell us not to go through a town..? It isn't breaking any laws, now is it...???Thats like saying, you cant go through green valley to get to henderson...............

Yep good points, they advertise the storage. Whatever on that... I did google Tecopa for shits and giggles....Interesting fact. As of the 2000 census, Tecopa has 99 residents. I'm just wondering where the eff they are at. What percentage of those 99 residents give a damn about us rolling through there.

Good question, I have no answer for it right now. Apparently the one person who pitched the biatch no longer wants to talk to us(duners) so we will wait to see what happens as we go along. I believe she and the other complaintants may be invited to a TRT meeting in August.