Trailer Tires ?

JoeDuner

I currently have a Weekend Warrior triple axle. The stock tires have lasted for 3 seasons in the Las Vegas heat. I am very happy with them, but it's time for new ones. I can't find them anywhere. They are General Tralier ST 225/75 15's.

What tires have you had good luck with ?????

What tires have you had bad luck with ???

I heard maxxiss is making a new trailer tire that is supposed to be the shizzle. My friend put the e rated tires on his toyhauler and says it handles way better now. No trailer sway anymore.

Joe, I went with maxxis tires...They are great. I got the good guy price, might be able to do the same for you...let me know. I got them at a wholesaler. I'm not sure who sells them in town

I went almost 4 years on my Carlisle's but I hear nothing but horror stories about them.I still bought them again so we will see.

Just do not buy the Goodyears.When I bought my trailer new I had one blow out the first trip and then every trip after that.

Didnt Pete just buy a set of Maxxis tires for his??

I have goodyears on my trailer and the one before it with no problems.

My fifth wheel had Firestones and I got Great service out of those tires. I would buy Firestone trailer tires again in a heartbeat. :beercheers:

Joe, my Ragen' came with Maxxis tires which have a 5 year warranty. I have not had any issues with the tires so haven't needed the warranty, but I thought that was pretty decent. Tows great for a heavy trailer. Def worth looking into..... :beercheers:

I think its luck of the draw because I was exactly oppisite

Yeah, I saw your post Bert.

I just hope I don't get another blowout.

It jacked the siding a little.( the Hollywood side too ). :banghead:

a little off topic...

a friend of mine had a blowout on his raptor and replaced all his tires........the guy at the tire shop said that the biggest problem with trailer tires is that they sit with all the weight on them for extended periods of time. He told my friend to lower the jacks to alleviate most of the weight off the tires, and that would help them last more than twice as long

After doing quite a bit of research, I went with the maxxis @ discount with their certs. They state in writing that they will replace any tire within the maximum amount of wear for free with the certs. I could not find anyone that would warrenty a trailer tire like that. As far as the tire itself, it has the most bang for the buck. I did look at a asian commercial tire, but to get it special ordered it would cost twice as much....

a little off topic...

a friend of mine had a blowout on his raptor and replaced all his tires........the guy at the tire shop said that the biggest problem with trailer tires is that they sit with all the weight on them for extended periods of time. He told my friend to lower the jacks to alleviate most of the weight off the tires, and that would help them last more than twice as long

Actually the biggest cause of tire failure on a trailer is due to low air pressure.....

Actually the biggest cause of tire failure on a trailer is due to low air pressure.....

sorry...i was referring to what you could do to help increase the life of your trailer tire, other than proper inflation, balance, straight axles, etc

the extra weight sitting for so long creates those cracks you see on the sidewalls

The guy at Discount said radials are the way to go. He said the compound is better and they will hold up longer. Any thoughts on this??? I believe the 10 plys only come in radials.

Edited by JoeDuner

The guy at Discount said radials are the way to go. He said the compound is better and they will hold up longer. Any thoughts on this??? I believe the 10 plys only come in radials.

I agree that they will last a little longer -but- I believe they both will last well beyond the four year safe "trailer tire life"....

The advantage of the bias is the stiffer sidewall. The radial has its advantages also.... for me the best option is to have less sway(YMMV) - over all I think the maxxis tires in both radial and bias are good tires....

Discount told me that they could only get the radial after I asked for the specific model in bias - and I went with radials because that was there was no way to get the bias except online - I wanted to go with discount for the warrenty they would provide - states they will take care of the tire as long as its not worn below the acceptable limit. Still kind of hard for me to believe that they would warrenty a trailer tire in such a manner, but I bought in to it.... Trailer tires are warrentied from the manufacture for "defects" of the tire as stated in their warrenty terms. A blow out is not a defect 95% of the time according to a manufacture - that would get expensive for them paying for damage to the side of your trailer because of their "defective tire"

I HAD Carlisles ( load range D) as OE on our Blaze'n. Had one start to fail within the fist 1000 miles. :laughing: Did some research and determined Maxxis or Greenball were the best. (IMO from the research) The few Maxxis dealers could only order what I wanted. Not good if you have a problem to fix now. Discount/America's tire had the greenballs in stock. Load range E. I replaced all six on our trailer. I kept the best for a second spare. (bought a wheel and another spare winch and mounted it next to the oe spare. Extra insurance for triple axle trailer) :dope:

Have been to Dumont and Oregon dunes and have 6K miles on them and they look like they have little wear. The Carlisles were wearing relatively quickly.

I have the aluminium wheels rated at 65psi, so, I do not run the tires at the rated 80.

:banghead:

• 2 weeks later...

I am on my 3rd toy hauler. My first two came with Carlisle tires. The first one blew 2 tires within a month. I called Carlisle because I found a web site that had over 10,000 complaints about their tires. They settled with me and gave me my money for different tires and they paid for the side of my hauler repair. They knew they had a problem but dealt with it on an individual basis. My next hauler was a 28' with Carlisles again on it, except this time, they put 235x16" tires on it and said their problem was fixed. Hogwash, I blew 2 tires again and never was over the payload limit. Carlisle again paid me. My third hauler is a triple axle. I immediately went to Discount because I like their warranty. They put on BF Goodrich 235'sx16x 10 ply commercial grade tires. The owner told me it is what he runs on his 38' hauler and he runs it at 80mph overloaded and never in 2 years has he had any problems. I am sure there are other tires out there as good, but so far, running my 39' hauler with my rail and quad, 150 gals water, 60 gals of gas, etc. etc., I have had no problems. I drive it fast and far since I come to Dumont from Arizona.