.....could possibly be used in a fight for dumont in the future?

How the hell could this be used in a fight for dumont? :slap:

I posted about the dune "boom" a while back...

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/invision/i...ic=1586&hl=

You never said anything about the "threat" back then? :flipoff::laughing:

i knew someone had posted something about noise in the dunes.....i thought it was mr.brownsand :laughoff:

i didn't put 2 and 2 together until I read that slanted part about......

There was a gentle warm breeze but otherwise near perfect silence, except for a faintly audible intermittent buzz produced by that other bizarre natural phenomenon, quad bikes.

anyway...the libs COULD say that this is a phenomenon only specific to dumont? POSSIBLY saying that off-roading "ruins" the "natural" ability of the dunes to "harmonize"

i've seen far less stretched out more by the land grabbers.....using erroneous study information too..

anyway...fire away cuz imma :blah::blah: :dunce:

:laughoff::laughoff:

i knew someone had posted something about noise in the dunes.....i thought it was mr.brownsand :blury:

i didn't put 2 and 2 together until I read that slanted part about......

anyway...the libs COULD say that this is a phenomenon only specific to dumont? POSSIBLY saying that off-roading "ruins" the "natural" ability of the dunes to "harmonize"

i've seen far less stretched out more by the land grabbers.....using erroneous study information too..

anyway...fire away cuz imma :driver::driver::laughing:

:boyyy: :laughing:

No they can't say it's limited to just Dumont. Booming dunes have been studied at Sand Mountain as well as Amargosa. At Sand Mountain the Indians are claiming it to be an ancient beast that used to live at the bottom of a lake.......and now resides within the dunes.

Those morons are wearing goggles to slide down a dune on their a$$. If they would pay for fuel in my buggy I'd let them hear that humming as much as they want. Every time my paddles go over smooth sand it makes that same noise.

I love that sound!! :headbang1:

No they can't say it's limited to just Dumont. Booming dunes have been studied at Sand Mountain as well as Amargosa. At Sand Mountain the Indians are claiming it to be an ancient beast that used to live at the bottom of a lake.......and now resides within the dunes.

I love that sound!! :headbang1:

you know the way the land grabbers think, and the way they portray us to the media, and to our elected officials.

these imbeciles MAKE STUFF UP, like the milk vetch study in glamis, FALSIFY study information....just to get things tilted their way

at oceano dunes......to prove a point....some clowns brought their own trash from their homes, and dumped on the beach, then had the audacity to say it was off roaders, called the media, AND the LEO's just to prove a point....A FALSE POINT so, personally, i don't put anything past them....but that is just me

i have bold texted the total liberal land grabber buzz terms...im tellin you guys.....this could be an angle they use to get the "D"

PASADENA - In about 30 of the world's deserts, the shifting sands create a booming noise that has baffled scientists for decades.

Early explorers imagined the strange rumbling sounds - roughly an octave and a half below middle C - as the cries of a buried horseman, or the bells of an underground convent.

Others have described it as the sound of musical instruments, or the drone of an airplane. Exactly how it happens, though, has long been a mystery.

"It's a really remarkable and weird phenomenon," said Christopher Brennen, a Caltech mechanical engineer. "When sand squeaks, we call that chirping: for example, when you walk along dry sand at the beach. But the booming of these dunes is different."

With ground-penetrating technology, cobbled- together sampling tools and some help from the seat of their pants, Brennen and his colleagues believe they have found the key to the sand's deep voice.

They have been studying the rare singing sands at two nearby dune fields: Kelso Dunes in Mojave National Preserve, and Dumont Dunes 30 miles north of Baker.

One requirement for their music, the researchers have long known, is for the sand to be on the move.

This can happen naturally

as winds pile sand up one face of the dune until it avalanches down the other.

But to make the desert boom on command, the researchers have adopted a decidedly unprofessional-looking technique: climbing to the dune peak hundreds of feet above the desert floor and scooting down on their behinds.

If conditions are right, the result is the same.

"You can feel it vibrate through your fingers and your toes when you stand," Brennen said. "The whole dune vibrates."

French scientists had theorized that the booming was caused by scores of similarly sized sand grains rubbing together as they rolled. The bigger the sand grains, they believed, the lower the sound.

But samples that the Caltech team collected showed that that hypothesis "didn't really make sense," said mechanical engineer Melany Hunt.

"That's not what we think happens on the sand dune," she said. "The frequency that we hear ... really is determined by the characteristics of the dune itself, not just by the grain sizes."

Hunt compared the dunes to her daughter's cello. (giving it likable characteristics is another play straight out of the landgrabber strategy book too)

"In the cello, you're strumming the string but it's the whole instrument that's vibrating," she said. "We think it's similar in the dune."

The breakthrough for the Caltech team came when they used ground-penetrating radar and other imaging techniques to spy on what was happening beneath the desert surface.

They found that although sound travels slowly through the top layer of sand in the dune, "when you go down to a depth of six feet, you find there is kind of a hard layer that has a much higher speed sound," Brennen said.

That layer works to reflect sound waves back toward the surface, he said.

As the noise of the tumbling sand grains bounces around within the top-most layer of sand, Brennen said, certain low frequencies appear to become amplified, creating the mysterious boom.

This speaker effect can only happen, Hunt said, if the dunes are enormous and bone-dry.

The deserts therefore boom their best in the scorchingly hot summer months, making the research hot, sweaty work - perhaps the one drawback to sliding down sand dunes in the name of science.

elise.kleeman@sgvn.com

• 2 weeks later...

Thos people are nuts! I loved how the person on the sandboard went a whole 2 feet in the sand - what a dork!

We were out at the dry lake beds lat year (north of Jean). We noticed a bunch of nails were scattered near this small dirt pile - probably some conservationalists - stupid because it's the kids that play in that area!

:laughoff:

• 1 month later...

Idaho, Sand Mountain, adn a few other dunes even glamis have experienced this PHENOMENON so its not just dumont...

Im more worried about the whole sperry wash/armagosa river thing at the moment... I guess if all else fails someone will have to create a path thru the lil dunes to get to big d if those greenies want to shut down the crossing..