sMitty

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After having attended last weekend's Comp events, I am convinced that the savages have taken over. I fell in love with Dumont and want my little ones to experience the same rush....but at what expense? They will NEVER go there (at night) and see the pinnacle of ignorance that is so proudly displayed. Wasn't Comp about racing to the top?....I personally remember this weekend when only a handful of machines were even going up...the focus was on the shannanigans.

First off, let me tell ya I love your post...lots of good points!! However, we have on occasion used "the pinnacle of ignorance....displayed" as an example of what NOT to do for our kids. One busy weekend last season we were at the hill with the kiddos (rode out in a truck, NOT on their own quads) and witnessed a CHP Officer (yes, CHP, not BLM, he was waiting behind my son's truck, no lights on YET) pull a guy over. He had just pulled out of the row in front of us, no headlights on, and BOOM, busted!! The officer had been waiting for him to make a move. DUI beats the hell outta drunk in public! He did the whole sobriety test(s) right there and the kids watched this dumbass get handcuffed and hauled away leaving his truck with family aboard sitting in the sand. To this day, we still talk about that night and other reasons why we DON'T drink and drive. :D

i agree its an easy fix it requires a loader and an operator and about 2 days .create a sand dune across the front of that easy access route. so pick ups cant get through. the biggest part of the problem would be eliminated. when you stop the pickup trucks full of people that dont even have sand toys. :ban-split: the biggest a$$ hats i see come with, and in, those .not all, it wont stop it, but it will slow it way down ...................................

Bob, I :banghead: ya, but I respectfully disagree with your point on this one. My oldest, Justin, takes his truck out to the hill loaded with chairs, the youngin's, and firewood and those of us that won't fit ride the toys out. It's a 4x4 D-MAX so it has the chingaderas to make it out there without getting stuck. He also does not drink, so he is designated driver for those who are there to do that (his girlfriend for example post-1889-1193810388_thumb.gif)

Thursday night we went for a night ride because the moon was out, the night was bright and clear and we even let the kids ride out on the quads. Stayed for awhile, the action was ON the hill this night, then kept riding....hit the N. pole and then the back way to camp. BEAUTIFUL night for riding!! Friday, different story. Kids had to come out in the truck, and except for the azzhat flying up the hill and cutting off any quad in his path, the action was on the ground. Wheelies, "camp" racers, roosting, etc., it was NUTS!! Left kinda late to get back to camp because of all the traffic. Didn't even bother with the hill Saturday night, knew it was gonna be too crazy for the kids, and besides, we actually had quite a few trick-or-treaters come thru this time and that was my thrill for the night! Ohhhhh, and the rum was quite tasty too!! :D

The officer had been waiting for him to make a move. DUI beats the hell outta drunk in public! He did the whole sobriety test(s) right there and the kids watched this dumbass get handcuffed and hauled away leaving his truck with family aboard sitting in the sand. To this day, we still talk about that night and other reasons why we DON'T drink and drive. :D

BOO-YAH baby! That's what Im talkin about :banghead::pissed::blink: :dance:

Which brings up another point :clap:

At Lake Mead, the BLM has a squad of volunteer EMTs / Medics that respond to calls in BLM owned boats.......The "Minutemen" from the southern border states come to mind ....grant it, the logistics are mind-numbing but I bet it would work....

Have volunteers patrol Dumont at various hours...independently from rangers, with the use of BLM issued radios, the reporting of illegal activity, i.e DUI, rebar placing, speeding, dope, ect... could be called in with no actual interaction by the volunteer...kind of like "Secret Witness" on steroids.....more "cops" for no extra money and an overall safer situation.....I would be more than willing to assist with a shift without thinking twice!!! Once again, Im frustrated and talking directly out of my :clap: , but it may be worth some consideration by folks who know the channels :clap: ...Im not sure how the rangers would appreciate being dragged around Dumont by "civilians" but just a thot :clap: :shout: :clap:

"Regulaaators....mount up." :clap::ban-split:

Ok, how about a trade? I will not only stop going to comp but I will stop drinking all together when jerks stop roping off the dunes. No camps/ropes within 20ft of the base of any dune and no more crazy happenings at comp. Sounds fair.

The reason people rope things off are for saftey expecially on the big weekends. The little kids want to play on the sand just like the rest of us and what a better way then giving up a little bit of the finger for the future duners. If we as adults cant just go around we have a problem. The fingers arnt that great to ride anyway. Just a little give and take, quit being so selfish. As for Comp hill we dont want it to get like Glamis so we need to have a proactive approach. If it takes the LEO's cracking down on the a$$hats that are too dumb to realize you shouldnt drink and drive( or ride) then so be it. It used to be cool to go out to comp at night on the big weekends, it was kinda like a car show. We need to get our dunes back and if it takes the LEO's giving out DUIs, MIPs, and various other citations so be it. You have nothing to worry about unless you are the ones breaking the rules. They cant say that thet cant afford any more LEO's since the passes have doubled, they should be able to double the number of LEO's

well i still have to say put a berm up and ride your quads over or side x side or rail . blms answer to the lunacy after the guys pick up got burnt to the ground was to close glamis comp hill. that would be a bummer.

and from what i saw, not all but, most of the real jerk wads showed up in pickups. you cant stop it ,no .but you could slow it down. either that or we go to the trt and put it up to them. and risk a complete closure.

or we can all just tolerate and wait till its to late :banghead: i duno what the answer is but that is a prelude to the future.

at least my idea doesnt involve increased law enforcement that would eventually lead to closing the hill when leos get frusterated.

there was a red 4 door ford doing the same thing in the rows.

who knows :idea:

They cant say that thet cant afford any more LEO's since the passes have doubled, they should be able to double the number of LEO's

First off, we did not double the fees. The pass for all but 5 weekends went from 20 to 30 dollars and a season pass went from 60 to 90 plus 10 dollars per holiday weekend, none of this has put anymore revenue into Dumont Dunes as the BLM got 0 dollars from the state Green Sticker Grant Program. We lost 850,000 dollars in funding for this year and even with the aditional fees we still had to cut expenses. THERE IS NO EXTRA MONEY! :MBdance::banghead::idea:

First off, we did not double the fees. The pass for all but 5 weekends went from 20 to 30 dollars and a season pass went from 60 to 90 plus 10 dollars per holiday weekend, none of this has put anymore revenue into Dumont Dunes as the BLM got 0 dollars from the state Green Sticker Grant Program. We lost 850,000 dollars in funding for this year and even with the aditional fees we still had to cut expenses. THERE IS NO EXTRA MONEY! :MBdance::banghead::idea:

maybe you read about my idea having signs at the rest rooms, vendors row etc with the violations and the fines that come with it.

Is this a good idea and how can we help the BLM with the cost?

:dance: :thumb::idea::MBdance:

I think you blew that a little out of proportion, Terry, but that is just my opinion. Comp isn't THAT bad. :hello: From what I have seen, MOST of the people that go there at night aren't that stupid. You will get a small handfull of idiots that give everyone else a bad name anywhere ya go. (ie: liter bugs, people that bring stripper poles, megaphones, drugs, etc over there)

Pete, I try not to blow things out of proportion but after reading all the posts about comp (as I did not see them for myself) I thought a general boycott of the hill might have an effect. I am not saying don't ever go back but if we use the power of this site and others and boycott the hill one night or one big weekend and let's see what happens. Maybe nuthin will change but maybe it will put an idea into peoples heads that if the LEO's get enough support that maybe they can clean it up without all of us being in the way. Kind of hard to know who will back you and who will attack you in that big of a crowd. It is just a thought.

After reading all the posts about comp hill the only positive ones that I saw were that it was a "great party"

all the other ones were complaints. I am only offering suggestions. I for one will not be going out there anytime soon and I don't miss it.

One last thing Pete, if you had kids would you be proud to take them out there and show them the stuff that goes on? I can't figure why people take their kids out there to watch others and most of the time their parents get drunk and stupid and then risk their lives driving back to camp. Just a personal observation from an old man who has seen his fair share of stupid.

Pete, thanks for the oppurtunity to use your space to say my piece! :banghead:

Pete, I try not to blow things out of proportion but after reading all the posts about comp (as I did not see them for myself) I thought a general boycott of the hill might have an effect. I am not saying don't ever go back but if we use the power of this site and others and boycott the hill one night or one big weekend and let's see what happens. Maybe nuthin will change but maybe it will put an idea into peoples heads that if the LEO's get enough support that maybe they can clean it up without all of us being in the way. Kind of hard to know who will back you and who will attack you in that big of a crowd. It is just a thought.

After reading all the posts about comp hill the only positive ones that I saw were that it was a "great party"

all the other ones were complaints. I am only offering suggestions. I for one will not be going out there anytime soon and I don't miss it.

One last thing Pete, if you had kids would you be proud to take them out there and show them the stuff that goes on? I can't figure why people take their kids out there to watch others and most of the time their parents get drunk and stupid and then risk their lives driving back to camp. Just a personal observation from an old man who has seen his fair share of stupid.

1) I just think that there are different kinds of people. There are the ones who see a few bad things go on at comp and stay the hell away and then think that comp hill is the devil. :idea: Then there are people like me that see a few of the idiots you see over there, but ignore them and have fun with the rest of everyone else (my friends) at the hill. Comp has always been fun at night regardless of a few of the jackasses that try and degrade it. They don't ruin it for me.

2) If I had kids I would leave them at camp at night if I wanted to go party at the hill. Comp is adult time and camp is family time. I'd have to find a good balance for the two if I had kids- but that is never gonna happen becuase I'm not having any.

Here's how I see it, everyone- if you don't like comp then don't go there just like ynot doesn't. I don't think comp is any worse than it used to be in the past few years. It's ever since there have been forums on the internet that people seem to blow the problems up to a much larger scale for some reason.

AS members of the ASA we pledge not to support these types of gatherings and or activities. We may on occasion drop over the top of comp while duning but we never stay. At ISDSRA, this is seen as an "Unauthorized Organized Event". This gives the LEO's reason to shut things down as they see fit. Maybe it's a case of law enforcement being "flexible" instead of completely shuting things down.

THE DUNERS CHECKERED FLAG PLEDGE

WE FLY IT AND LIVE BY IT!

TRASH:

WE pack it in and WE pack it out

ENFORCEMENT:

WE live by the rules

WE support law enforcement at the dunes*

WE report major infractions

RESPECT FOR OTHER PEOPLE,

SAFETY AND THE ENVIRONMENT:

WE act in a responsible manner

Just my :idea: worth

Craig, I appreciate your trying to find a solution I do not think that your idea will work because the people that are the problem do not think they will get caught. Look at the fireworks issue, it is illegal to set off fireworks at Dumont Dunes but there is no shortage of people doing it.

Bob, I fully agree with the idea of bringing back the Dune Patrol and have brought it up more than once with the BLM and it hasn’t gone anywhere, I don’t have time to put it together and run it.

Just to clarify an earlier point the 850,000 was the Operations and Maintenance Grant; the Barstow BLM did get some money from the OHMVR Commission but not for Operations & Maintenance.

:banghead::idea:

1) I just think that there are different kinds of people. There are the ones who see a few bad things go on at comp and stay the hell away and then think that comp hill is the devil. :banghead: Then there are people like me that see a few of the idiots you see over there, but ignore them and have fun with the rest of everyone else (my friends) at the hill. Comp has always been fun at night regardless of a few of the jackasses that try and degrade it. They don't ruin it for me.

2) If I had kids I would leave them at camp at night if I wanted to go party at the hill. Comp is adult time and camp is family time. I'd have to find a good balance for the two if I had kids- but that is never gonna happen becuase I'm not having any.

Here's how I see it, everyone- if you don't like comp then don't go there just like ynot doesn't. I don't think comp is any worse than it used to be in the past few years. It's ever since there have been forums on the internet that people seem to blow the problems up to a much larger scale for some reason.

"Here's how I see it, everyone- if you don't like comp then don't go there just like ynot doesn't. I don't think comp is any worse than it used to be in the past few years."

Pete that is my point if you complain about how comp hill is then don't go. Would I like to see a boycott for just one weekend, well yeah i would. Why, just to see how much of an impact it would have, more curiosity I guess than anything.

Pete, the problem has been the last "few years" it continues to get worse. Years ago it was great fun and even safe to go there. Not so much these last few years.

Pete, the problem has been the last "few years" it continues to get worse. Years ago it was great fun and even safe to go there. Not so much these last few years.

:dope: :shout: IT'S NOT THAT BAD THOUGH! :banghead::idea::MBdance:

Think of it this way. There are less people racing now and more people just hanging out being stupid. That sucks because I go to the hill mostly to watch, race, and to hang out, BUT maybe it's for the better that not as many people are ON the hill at night. Maybe they are actually being MORE responsible by hanging out yelling at people with a megaphone to pop a wheelie rather than driving drunk up teh hill and running people over. Maybe they are being more repsonsible by laying in the back of their truck and some eating acid while staring at the stars in the sky. :lol::hello: :dance: ok ok j/k about that one :lol:

I say we all set an example for most and everyone CONTINUE to go to comp at night and have fun in a RESPONSIBLE way. It really IS possible. :idea::thumb:

comp. hill is and has been a party , and a show !!

to me , it's no different than a movie , if somone gets out of line , I have no problem telling them to shut up ! or show the way out to them !! the a$$ hats are the kids that have not been disiplined much in life ...

I love comp. and they won't take it from me !! we can take them , who's with me ??

P.S. conflict is good , with out it life would be pretty boring !

I LOVE YOU ALL , DAN

:D:D:D:D:D

:laughoff: :shout: IT'S NOT THAT BAD THOUGH! :headbang1::headbang1::beerpint:

Think of it this way. There are less people racing now and more people just hanging out being stupid. That sucks because I go to the hill mostly to watch, race, and to hang out, BUT maybe it's for the better that not as many people are ON the hill at night. Maybe they are actually being MORE responsible by hanging out yelling at people with a megaphone to pop a wheelie rather than driving drunk up teh hill and running people over. Maybe they are being more repsonsible by laying in the back of their truck and some eating acid while staring at the stars in the sky. :laughoff::drunk::ninja: ok ok j/k about that one :idiot:

I say we all set an example for most and everyone CONTINUE to go to comp at night and have fun in a RESPONSIBLE way. It really IS possible. :laughoff::laughoff:

:shout: but if somthing isnt done its going to get that bad :laughoff::flipoff:

its progressively getting worse .but no, its not that bad yet. but an ounce of prevention is worth ....................

:laughoff::laughing:

:shout: but if somthing isnt done its going to get that bad :ninja::laughing:

its progressively getting worse .but no, its not that bad yet. but an ounce of prevention is worth ....................

:drunk::beerpint:

ok, then we do what I said then....

I say we all set an example for most and everyone CONTINUE to go to comp at night and have fun in a RESPONSIBLE way. It really IS possible.

I personally don't see it getting progressively worse. That is just my opinion. Everyone else has theirs. I will do whatever I have to do to prevent a man-made dune from blocking comp and boycotting comp though. That's just rediculous. :headbang1: You guys act like people are getting stabbed and chit over there. I'll keep saying it....it really isn't THAT bad. :headbang1:

ok, then we do what I said then....

I personally don't see it getting progressively worse. That is just my opinion. Everyone else has theirs. I will do whatever I have to do to prevent a man-made dune from blocking comp and boycotting comp though. That's just rediculous. :headbang1: You guys act like people are getting stabbed and chit over there. I'll keep saying it....it really isn't THAT bad. :laughing:

ya but wasnt columbus day just completely awsom !!! :headbang1:

we will just have to agree to disagree on this matter im over it :beerpint:

and your still a great dune buddy to ride with :drunk::laughoff: and you rock :ninja:

but i still disagree with you :laughoff::laughoff:

ya but wasnt columbus day just completely awsom !!! :headbang1:

we will just have to agree to disagree on this matter im over it :beerpint:

and your still a great dune buddy to ride with :drunk::laughoff: and you rock :ninja:

but i still disagree with you :laughoff::laughoff:

:headbang1::laughoff: I was JUST gonna say: I'm over it and done with this topic! :laughing::laughoff::laughoff: